[GUIDE][PROJECT CROISSANT] Installing official Chrome OS on any device (PC/PC-like)

Search This thread

natevan

Feb 4, 2020
help!

Thank you. With the information in this thread I was able to turn a fydeos installation into a fully working Google Slate on my Surface Pro 3. It's breathed new life into this great little system functioning like a nest in my kitchen.

I decided to go with fydeos as I didn't have to resize any partitions that way. The process was mega easy with the detailed instructions mentioned in the original post.

Any chance you wouldn't mind sharing either the .img file you used, or what combination of files you used for the build? struggling getting anything to run on the surface pro 3 myself

mclongthanh

Apr 21, 2019
what is FydeOS boot? :eek: How is it used?

If you want dual-boot ChromeOS and Windows10/MacOS/Ubuntu, FydeOS boot is easiest way.

* EVE recovery is official chromeOS recovery from Google Chromebook, it work on Surface Pro 3/4/5/6/7/Book
* ArnoldTheBat is Chromium OS fully build, it also work on Surface
* swtpm.tar for bypass TPM chip on Surface Firmware

chromefy/croissant script will merge 3 above files into ChromeOS full image, that can be installed on SSD, but must install before other OS and only single boot

Next, dualboot script will merge ChromeOS full image with dualboot.bin (from FydeOS) to make dual-bootable installer, so you can use ChromeOS alongside Win/Mac/Debian,...

I've installed MacOS Catalina on Partition2, Win10 on Partition4, Ubuntu on Partition 6 and ChromeOS on Partition7+8, on same SSD, Surface

View attachment 4944765

Last edited:

iiMarsExplorer

Dec 26, 2018
hi, im trying to make a chromeos.img using method 1 from the github web. but if i try to run the command to make the
img, it says "this chromium image doesn't support vtpm proxy. did i something wrong? fyi, im using the latest arnoldthebat build

I had a lot of trouble with Asus UX31 i5 3317U CPU
I was trying to dual boot with windows (method 1).
I had a working FyedOS

Had some great help here, so thought I would share.

This device has no TMP, so you must use the swptmp.tar (install guide refers to fixingTPM v2).
Problems with ATB images. I need to use a wifi dongle as my inbuilt is not recognised. So I used FyedOS v8.2

The recovery image I got to work was gandolf (Toshiba chromebook 2 - 2015).
This minimises random touch events which can be bad on other recoveries (pyro/eve etc). I guess it is closest in age to my device.

Main downside is that the linux subsystem cannot be installed. Not sure if I care, but apt-get is not available in crosh, so not so simple to install. There is a supported list (need to match with code name)
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-linux

Update:
I managed to install linux via Crouton. I was unable to work out how to get into developer mode (keys did not work for me to get into recovery). I did suspect FyedOS is set to developer mode as root is available through crosh.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-any.html

Also, three finger touchpad gestures rarely work. Two fingers are hit and miss.

Note that the changing of channels, or using google recovery does not work if chromefy'd. I cannot find a way to manually download images for beta/dev channels.

Once you have a final image, I found you could run the croissant build script using that image. I assume it overwrites the relevant parts for the recovery, so no need to build from a clean FydeOS. I could also just update the exiting installation, preserving user data etc. It presumably clears cache, so you have to log in to sites again etc

I found a way to mount the windows disk in crosh, but cannot find a way to access within chrome OS.
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/WinC/

Update:
I managed to get android root installed so I can use file manager with root, but cannot see the mount point (has full access to all)
https://www.xda-developers.com/root-android-subsystem-chromebooks/

I had the same pyro/eve issues as others with newer versions not working. I may try the other pixel images (altlas / nocturn) to see if touch improves. However, all the manual things above, root/linux will probably get trashed

Last edited:
Reactions: topo01

ck007

Mar 30, 2011
What is the right recovery image for an old surface pro with an intel hd graphic 4000?

Thanks

Solved: samus v78 + fydeos + swtpm are the best solution

Last edited:

svicente

Nov 6, 2008
Huawei MediaPad X2
Hi maclongthanh,

What images are you using? I am using:
- EVE 79, chromeos_12607.58.0_eve_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v2.bin
- ArnoldTheBat, Cx86OS_R60-9592.B-Special.7z
- swtpm.tar
and I'm receiving the error "this Chromium image does not support VTPM proxy..."

Thank you!

If you want dual-boot ChromeOS and Windows10/MacOS/Ubuntu, FydeOS boot is easiest way.

* EVE recovery is official chromeOS recovery from Google Chromebook, it work on Surface Pro 3/4/5/6/7/Book
* ArnoldTheBat is Chromium OS fully build, it also work on Surface
* swtpm.tar for bypass TPM chip on Surface Firmware

chromefy/croissant script will merge 3 above files into ChromeOS full image, that can be installed on SSD, but must install before other OS and only single boot

Next, dualboot script will merge ChromeOS full image with dualboot.bin (from FydeOS) to make dual-bootable installer, so you can use ChromeOS alongside Win/Mac/Debian,...

I've installed MacOS Catalina on Partition2, Win10 on Partition4, Ubuntu on Partition 6 and ChromeOS on Partition7+8, on same SSD, Surface

View attachment 4944765

ck007

Mar 30, 2011
Hi maclongthanh,

What images are you using? I am using:
- EVE 79, chromeos_12607.58.0_eve_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v2.bin
- ArnoldTheBat, Cx86OS_R60-9592.B-Special.7z
- swtpm.tar
and I'm receiving the error "this Chromium image does not support VTPM proxy..."

Thank you!

You have to use a newer version of ATB (it supports vtpm proxy from v72, see first post)

JayDeeDaz

Mar 17, 2014
Selinux Query

First off - fantastic work here. I went with installation method #1, and after realising I was using a two-year old x86 ChromiumOS IMG instead of a recent x64 one, it all worked great.

One question though - I didn't enforce Selinux during chromefy, as there was an alert about Android apps. But then I noticed the FAQ item about Safety Net and apps like Netflix.

So, is it possible to install an updated chromefy'd image over an existing croissant install, or do I need to start again?

iiMarsExplorer

Dec 26, 2018
thank you for all developers who make this. finally i can have a chromebook without spending a cent.

during my installation, i've tried 5 different chromeos recovery image, here's my experience with them :
1. peppy : works well with my hp pavilion g4 intel i3, but doesn't have the play store.
2. eve : doesn't boot
3. pyro : same result as eve
4. nami : works well with play store support, but always at google play setup
5. atlas (current) : really works well, linux and play store works like a charm.

Reactions: JayDeeDaz

JayDeeDaz

Mar 17, 2014
Lenovo x260

thank you for all developers who make this. finally i can have a chromebook without spending a cent.

during my installation, i've tried 5 different chromeos recovery image, here's my experience with them :
1. peppy : works well with my hp pavilion g4 intel i3, but doesn't have the play store.
2. eve : doesn't boot
3. pyro : same result as eve
4. nami : works well with play store support, but always at google play setup
5. atlas (current) : really works well, linux and play store works like a charm.

Thanks iiMarsExplorer.

I've been using eve with a Lenovo x260 i3. Works well, but Android fails when Selinux is Enforcing, even when Android is v9. When Permissive, works great, but Safety Net fails. It also doesn't seem to respond to three-finger TouchPad gestures. Everything else is great

I'll be trying nami tonight - as it's used on a Lenovo Yoga i3, very close to the x260 is hardware. I'll see what the result is.

vladone97

Mar 21, 2015
Has anyone managed to get this to work on the One Mix 1S? And if yes, can you tell me which Chromium image and recovery image you used? Because none of the combinations I've tried so far have worked.

iiMarsExplorer

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks iiMarsExplorer.

I've been using eve with a Lenovo x260 i3. Works well, but Android fails when Selinux is Enforcing, even when Android is v9. When Permissive, works great, but Safety Net fails. It also doesn't seem to respond to three-finger TouchPad gestures. Everything else is great

I'll be trying nami tonight - as it's used on a Lenovo Yoga i3, very close to the x260 is hardware. I'll see what the result is.

i recommend you to use atlas to get full play store support. but if you dont use play store and linux that much, nami could be an option.

JayDeeDaz

Mar 17, 2014
i recommend you to use atlas to get full play store support. but if you dont use play store and linux that much, nami could be an option.

Tried nami, no dice. Selinux Enforcing still disables Android, and three-finger touch pad gestures still weren't working.

Will give atlas a try - cheers.

I could live without things like Netflix... but it's becoming a challenge I need to overcome :)

iiMarsExplorer

Dec 26, 2018
Tried nami, no dice. Selinux Enforcing still disables Android, and three-finger touch pad gestures still weren't working.

Will give atlas a try - cheers.

I could live without things like Netflix... but it's becoming a challenge I need to overcome :)
i got the Chromeos atlas image, perhaps you want to use it so you dont need to resize the partition?

Last edited:

JayDeeDaz

Mar 17, 2014

i got the Chromeos atlas image, perhaps you want to use it so you dont need to resize the partition?

Thanks a lot, but I grabbed the recovery bin this morning. Came across a config file which is baked into the Chrome OS recovery process with the latest images. Also, I've been using method #1 for creating the image, which makes the process a lot easier, just boot and install.

iiMarsExplorer

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks a lot, but I grabbed the recovery bin this morning. Came across a config file which is baked into the Chrome OS recovery process with the latest images. Also, I've been using method #1 for creating the image, which makes the process a lot easier, just boot and install.
sorry to say but in order to use method 1, u need to use 2 flashdrive. one is for any linux based os like ubuntu and another one is for storing the already baked chromeos bin. this is due to the chromeos installer is being broken.

here's how u do it if you didnt know :
1. boot to the linux usb
2. press try ubuntu
3. open disks app
4. format your harddisk by pressing at the 3 lines button next to the - O X button
5. make a new whole partition
6. now insert your 2nd flashdrive
7. press the 3 lines again, press restore disk image, navigate to the chromeos bin, press okay, and wait (process took me 4 minutes)
8. after that, close disks and open gparted
9. resize STATE partition to the max value ( in my case, i expand it from 4GB to 109GB)
10. save your changes
11. restart
12. enjoy your new chromebook

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    r2ZCej0.png
    CHROME OS ON ANY DEVICE

About Project Croissant (formerly known as Ć̸h̷̢̡r̢͝o̡҉ḿ̴̢̧e̷͜҉f̡͝y͝͞͡͡)

This project is aimed at making Chrome OS (the official releases by google) available for any non-chromebook devices (ATM The device must be able to boot from live USB, this excludes most Android-only devices);
    The steps can also be followed on a chromebook, to install an image with android and linux support.
    The script uses an official Chrome OS image, while it uses the Kernel and GRUB bootloader from another Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    This project has an official GitHub/Wiki page, a Telegram group, a Twitter page and is the result of many ideas and contributions.
    Please fill this survey to let us know whether Chromefy works (or doesn't) on your device

Required files

• An official Chrome OS recovery image (downloads on the right; RECOMMENDED: eve (best) or pyro are the most complete images [must be from the same chipset vendor (Ex: Intel, ARM or RockChip); If eve/pyro doesn't work, try an image from a device with a similiar chipset as your own]
    • Another Chrome OS recovery image from a TPM 1.2 device (EX: caroline or kip) or the swtpm.tar file (swtpm TPM2 emulator needs VTPM proxy support in kernel) (this step is only needed if using an image from TPM2 device to fix a login issue, which is most likely the case for newer ones)
    • An image from a Chromium OS distribution (EX: ArnoldTheBat builds).
    • The Chromefy installation script.

Installation guide (Partition method)

For method 1 (bootable USB image generation) check this video guide:

Method 2-B (chromium OS root partition conversion) described below:
    Other methods described in the official GitHub/Wiki page.
    This procedure will install Chrome OS on top of a Chromium OS kernel, you will thus need to install a Chromium OS distribution on your device first;
    RECOMMENDED: ArnoldTheBat builds
    NOTE: CloudReady builds are not yet supported due to a different partitioning scheme and incompatible kernel

If you consider this guide too generic, try reading a more comprehensive guide

1. Flash the selected Chromium OS build on a live USB, boot into the live USB and install it on your HDD/SSD by typing the following command on the shell
      Code:
      sudo /usr/sbin/chromeos-install --dst [COLOR=Blue]YOURDRIVE[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue](Ex: /dev/sda)[/COLOR]
      now make sure the your chromium HDD/SSD installation is working before proceeding.
    2. Resize the third partition of your sdX drive (EX: sda3 inside sda) from its current size to atleast 4GB; I suggest using Gparted live USB to resize it; you can either downsize sdX1 (data partition) or delete the sdX5 partition (we won't need it) to get more unallocated space.
    3. Boot from your live USB again, make sure you have your Chrome OS images available and run the installation script with the following command
      Code:
      sudo bash /path/to/chromefy.sh [COLOR="blue"]YOURSYSTEMPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](EX: /dev/sda3)[/COLOR] /path/to/chosenchromeosbuild.bin /path/to/carolinebuild.bin_OR_swtpm.tar
    4. Don't leave live USB yet, make a powerwash (manually) by typing
      Code:
      sudo mkfs.ext4 [COLOR="Blue"]YOURDATAPARTITION[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](Ex: /dev/sda1)[/COLOR]

You can now reboot and enjoy your new "chromebook" :D

Images supporting swtpm TPM2 emulator

FAQ
    • Can I dualboot with Windows/Linux?
      Yes, but it's a little more complicated
    • Will this ever work on CloudReady?
      We don't know, nor we have any ETAs. There's currently a repartitioned image (still not working with chromefy)
    • My motion sensors do not work, how do I rotate the screen?
      Laptop mode/keyboard connected: press ctrl+shift+f3
      Tablet mode: use this app by Andrew Whaley (source) (check out his blog)
    • Linux apps (crostini) are not working at all, how do i fix it?
      Go check if you have enabled all virtualization related option in your BIOS (Ex: "Intel Virtualization", "VT-x", "VT-e" etc...) (you should)
    • Do automatic updates work? How to update?
      Not at the moment, and it's unlikely we find a workaround; you can update by ONLY repeating step 3 (without step 4).
    • ChromiumOS works on live USB but not HDD, what to do?
      Did you remove the USB before rebooting the fist time? If you did NOT, you might need to reinstall it. If you did, try using fix_grub.sh
    • Some apps (ex: Netflix) do not show up in the Play Store, how do I fix it?
      Read next answer
    • SafetyNet check fails, why?
      For SafetyNet not to break you need two things, leave selinux on enforcing when chromefying (only working on Pie, otherwise will break android container) and disable "cros_debug" in the grub launcher to boot without developer mode (Custom images [ex: CloudRadish] have custom boot entries for this)
    • ChromeOS flags are not showing up, why?
      Try opening the chrome://flags page in incognito mode.

Alternatives
    FydeOS

Fyde OS is a Chromium OS based operating system that comes with Android apps; if you don't want to bother with the hassle of running the chromefy script and just want an OS that works out of the box, this might be for you.
    ...Also the developers are awesome :D

ArnoldTheBat

Does not come with Android apps (yet), but he's awesome too, so there's that

Credits
    • allanin for all of his ideas on Arnoldthebat discussion, most part of the code is from him
    • TCU14 for upgrading, and the MultiBoot guide
    • Dnim Ecaep from the Telegram Group for the shell command to change the SELINUX to permissive
    • Diogo from the Telegram Group for the corrections on the firmware migration
    • Danii from the Telegram Group for the work on the TPM bypass method and TPM2 emulation method
    • sublinhado for writing down the steps needed for the TPM bypass method
    • alesimula for the installation script
    • Giedrius Tamošiūnas (liolka) for the custom chromium kernels
    • ++ some poor unlisted guys
    Tried that some time ago and never worked for me as well as this method, also this one let's you have Crostini with the new recovery images that have tpm protection.

That is simply a hardware based issue and not selecting the right build. I admit my project needs more work but even the github page tells you to use a build close to your own hardware. Also the TPM is bypassed and not a functioning part of the OS in this regard the same as mine, from a quick look anyway.

All this does is the exact same as my script but you have to download a lot of other crap too, my script does it all for you. This seems a rather long method to get the exact same thing.

Mine also doesn't require any messing with partitions, even between upgrading to newer versions.
    Amazing. Just confirming whether Google play store work in this?

Awesome work!
    Does it work with FydeOS builds?

Play Store (and crostini) works.

And yes, you can install it over FydeOS;
    Some users report Arnold kernel working better for them, for others it's Fyde, so just test both to find the best one for your device
    I'm using ArnoldTheBat's Chromium OS from a USB drive on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, I wonder if I can install Chrome OS on top of it to the same USB drive? I want to keep my Windows 10 on the SSD intact and don't want to install Chromium on the different partition of the same SSD, because Windows update will inevitably mess up Chromium sooner or later. The laptop has 2 USB ports, so I would be able to use another USB drive if needed. I think many people would be grateful if someone wrote instructions on how to do it on a USB drive instead of a multiboot on one SSD/HDD. Thanks!