[GUIDE] PS4 Remote Play with Joy-Con

Search This thread

willy101

Apr 23, 2011
Did some more testing with the new app.

You can launch it if you hide Magisk Manager, hide root from the PS4 Remote Play app, and uninstall Xposed Installer, though it only works with onscreen controls, you can't use a DualShock 4 controller because that only works on Android 10 (even if you paired it it just shows a message that you can't use it) and Remote Play Assistant doesn't seem to work either.

The 2.8 version shows an error when it tried to register itself with the PS4. Seems like Sony locked out previous versions of the app.

Thanks this worked great. Any luck getting a joy con or pro controller to read as a DS4 controller or just work at all? I couldnt figure it out. Touch control only isn't ideal lol.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019
Finally got around to trying remote play because I saw all android phones are working now and sadly got 88001003 error code. Hoping we get update to xposed or hacked version of apk to get it working soon. My need to play apex in bed on my back is of utmost importance! :p

willy101

Apr 23, 2011
Finally got around to trying remote play because I saw all android phones are working now and sadly got 88001003 error code. Hoping we get update to xposed or hacked version of apk to get it working soon. My need to play apex in bed on my back is of utmost importance! :p
see jiyuu's post that i quoted right above. joycons arent working though.

JiyuuTenshi

Jul 26, 2019
Thanks this worked great. Any luck getting a joy con or pro controller to read as a DS4 controller or just work at all? I couldnt figure it out. Touch control only isn't ideal lol.
Nah, unfortunately not. I think someone has to update the Remote Play Assistant to make it compatible with the new version again, because Sony seems to have made changes to how the controller is checked or how the controller input works. It still loads the profile correctly when you start up Remote Play, the buttons just don't do anything.

Someone else also mentioned PStreamer as an alternative to the official RP app. Apparently it has the button mapping and everything already built in. They are working on making it compatible with firmware 7.0: https://www.pstreamer.app/playstation-4-firmware-7-0-released/

Not sure if it works on Switch at all though, but I guess we'll see when they're done updating it.

willy101

Apr 23, 2011
Nah, unfortunately not. I think someone has to update the Remote Play Assistant to make it compatible with the new version again, because Sony seems to have made changes to how the controller is checked or how the controller input works. It still loads the profile correctly when you start up Remote Play, the buttons just don't do anything.

Someone else also mentioned PStreamer as an alternative to the official RP app. Apparently it has the button mapping and everything already built in. They are working on making it compatible with firmware 7.0: https://www.pstreamer.app/playstation-4-firmware-7-0-released/

Not sure if it works on Switch at all though, but I guess we'll see when they're done updating it.

Gotcha, perhaps you could do something like having joycons detect as a ds4 through a controller app? That's what they're doing for xbox controllers on pc to ps4 remote play. https://www.reddit.com/r/remoteplay/comments/8731bw/how_to_use_xbox_one_controller_with_ps4_remote/

JiyuuTenshi

Jul 26, 2019
Gotcha, perhaps you could do something like having joycons detect as a ds4 through a controller app? That's what they're doing for xbox controllers on pc to ps4 remote play. https://www.reddit.com/r/remoteplay/comments/8731bw/how_to_use_xbox_one_controller_with_ps4_remote/
That's basically what the Remote Play Assistant does as far as I know. You can map the buttons of the Joy-Cons, Pro Controller or whatever to DualShock 4 buttons and use the app that way.

Reactions: willy101

jhmonroy

May 4, 2014
Thank you very much!!!. But I have one question, in order for the last ps4 remote version to work, I have to uninstall Xposed; but for the RPAssistant we need Xposed. Any tips?

Sazpaimon

Jul 25, 2014
Thank you very much!!!. But I have one question, in order for the last ps4 remote version to work, I have to uninstall Xposed; but for the RPAssistant we need Xposed. Any tips?
The Xposed module defeats any root/xposed checks in the remote play app. You're safe to have Xposed installed with it. You probably don't even need to Magisk hide it, either.

jhmonroy

May 4, 2014
The Xposed module defeats any root/xposed checks in the remote play app. You're safe to have Xposed installed with it. You probably don't even need to Magisk hide it, either.

You are right, that is what I thought, and it worked perfectly with the 2.8 version, but now I keep getting 88001003 in the 3.0 version, even in a non rooted switch-android installation. Thank you again for your great job.

AbigailDummer

Oct 11, 2019
Made a account here just to say that I was able to make it work in the new version, both joycons and dualshock are working.
I don't now excly how it worked, but first I followd all the instructions in the first page, then I followed the JiyuuTenshi steps, after this I installed the new RPAssistant, installed Xposed again, and installed Xposed Framework, after I rebot my system it was all working.

Reactions: willy101

Sazpaimon

Jul 25, 2014
If you're getting 88001003, please make sure your xposed lists Remote Play Assistant version 0.11.191011. Also try clearing cache/data for PS4 Remote Play. Lastly, check logcat for anything that looks like an error in com.rAs.android.rpgamepad. Also goes without saying, but a reboot is required for any xposed module installation or updates

Saberfink

Sep 13, 2019
remote play assistant issue

Hey everyone,
Want to first thank everyone on this forum for all the posts and help. I was able to get the newest version of remote play working on my switch, but there seems to be an issue with the assistant. I downloaded and installed the 0.11 version from this forum. I'm able to open it and setup the mapping. The mapping I'm doing for the face buttons is b=cross, a=circle, x=triangle, and y=square to mirror the way they would be setup on a dualshock. I also have the plus mapped to options and the minus setup as the combine button, with plus for PS and x for touchpad. I used this same setup back when 2.8 was working and everything worked fine and when I do test in the assistant, all the buttons show as mapped correctly. When I launch remote play, it loads the profile from assistant. Once I'm connected to my ps4 though everything is messed up. The only buttons that work as mapped are plus, r1, l1, and the thumbstick buttons. The face buttons are revert to match the button that would have the same function on the respective controls instead of what I have mapped. Meaning that a=cross, b=circle, x=square, y=triangle, and minus is the share button. You'll notice above that I don't even have the share button mapped. the rest of the controls (the thumbsticks, dpad, and R2/L2) all act like they are themselves and the L2 button (ie - I push left on the thumbstick and the character moves left and does the L2 action. If only one of the actions can happen at a time, then the L2 action overrides everything). I was able to connect a pro controller and got the same results. When I connect a dualshock and map it through assistant, everything works like normal. From what I can see, assistant is tell remote play that whatever control I connect with is a dualshock, but after that it isn't conveying any of the mapping, so input just get red as whatever the system thinks it should be, which is why the dualshock work because the system thinks it's a dualshock and it is a dualshock. I'm not sure where the disconnect is between assistant and remote play, but games aren't playable. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for writing half a book.

JiyuuTenshi

Jul 26, 2019
You're right, I've got the same problem. With the Pro Controller I also have the problem that the analog sticks don't work properly. In Kingdom Hearts I can only walk and not run, because they only seem to register the lowest setting. The analog detection works fine when I test it in RP Assistant.

enekomh

Oct 2, 2010
That ended up being not so bad. I just needed to update the app hooks for the new obfuscated code. Here's the new APK. As always the changes are on my Github
Hey, thanks for the update!

I was wondering if somebody else reported this but since this version of RPA no matter what values I assign to cross, circle, triangle or square, they always seem to be bound to A, B, Y and X. Changing the mapping on the app doesn't seem to do anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0.11.191013 (Oct 13)
    • Feature: Home button on controller can be used in mappings now! This is still in testing, so please give feedback if you run into any issues.
    • Fix: Remote Play taking over controller input, preventing mappings from working
    • Fix: digital L2/R2 triggers (such as on the Switch) from permanently leaving L2/R2 depressed
    Code:
    I'm not the developer of this Remote Play Assistant module.
    I'm just providing instructions.

Instructions
    Magisk is required.
    You should flash joycon-fix first to use l3 & r3.

1. Install PS4 Remote Play Enabler from Magisk Manager > Downloads.
    2. Install PS4 Remote Play from Play Store.
    3. Go to Magisk Manager > Magisk Hide and check PS4 Remote Play
    4. Install Xposed Framework from Magisk Manager > Downloads. Also, install Xposed Installer 3.1.5 from this thread's attachment.
    5. Install Remote Play Assistant from Xposed repo.
    6. Enable this module in Xposed Installer and reboot.
    7. Open Remote Play Assistant and remap buttons with Joy-Con.

Q&A
    Q: Can I use EdXposed instead?
    A: No, it's not working on Switch. Bootloop happens. Might be fixed in future EdXposed version.

Q: I installed PS4 Remote Play Enabler and rebooted, but Play Store does not show me PS4 Remote Play.
    A: Clear Play Store's data in the settings app.

Q: There are empty bars on the right side and the bottom of the screen. How can I fix it?
    A: You should disable navigation bar. Simply done by adding qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 in /system/build.prop or you can use this.
    Install third-party gesture app like Full Screen Gestures or Gesture Control before disabling navigation bar!!

Q: I want to use v2.5.0 or above.
    A: Update Remote Play Assistant to latest version from Xposed repo.

Q: I have issue with l2 & r2.
    A: Update Remote Play Assistant to latest version and do not long press but click them while remapping.

Pictures
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Click to see it bigger. Pics provided by SUN#8357
    4th picture: It detects Joy-Con as DualShock.

Please let me know if there's better solution or anything i should add to this instructions.

Original post: https://bbs.ruliweb.com/news/board/1001/read/2192971
    runawaysheep's original code: https://github.com/runawaysheep/RPAssistant
    Sazpaimon's fork: https://github.com/Sazpaimon/RPAssistant
    I hope this is okay to post here, but I wanted to make this module work with the latest version of PS4 remote play and couldn't find the source code anywhere, and didn't really know how I could reach out to them, so I decompiled it and made the requisite changes. I won't be posting the source code here out of respect for the original author's code. I also made a couple updates to the module to neuter remote play's anti-root/xposed/debug checks, so it should work fine with vanilla Xposed and without the need to use Magisk hide on it. If you wanna try it out, you'll need to uninstall the original module, first since the signatures won't match anymore. In the future, I'll possibly look into getting certain other features working such as rumble and possibly gyro support.
    I tested this on my Switch and OnePlus 5 using the latest PS4 Remote Play app available on the Play Store with no issues.
    I hope this is okay to post here, but I wanted to make this module work with the latest version of PS4 remote play and couldn't find the source code anywhere, and didn't really know how I could reach out to them, so I decompiled it and made the requisite changes. I won't be posting the source code here out of respect for the original author's code. I also made a couple updates to the module to neuter remote play's anti-root/xposed/debug checks, so it should work fine with vanilla Xposed and without the need to use Magisk hide on it. If you wanna try it out, you'll need to uninstall the original module, first since the signatures won't match anymore. In the future, I'll possibly look into getting certain other features working such as rumble and possibly gyro support.
    I tested this on my Switch and OnePlus 5 using the latest PS4 Remote Play app available on the Play Store with no issues.

I am the developer of this module.
    This thread writer introduced me here.
    I didn't expect it to be so widely known.

Thank you for responding to the latest version.
    It took me a long time to make this module, so I stayed in the old version.

I can't update anymore because I'm busy these days. But I hope this module will improve more depending on user's needs. So I decided to reveal my source code.
    Although the source code I have doesn't matched to the latest version, I hope everyone will use it freely and be further developed.

https://github.com/runawaysheep/RPAssistant

I also registered in Xposed Module Repository.

https://repo.xposed.info/module/com.ras.android.rpgamepad
    That ended up being not so bad. I just needed to update the app hooks for the new obfuscated code. Here's the new APK. As always the changes are on my Github