[Guide] RCA Voyager RCT6873W42 Unlock Boot loader and root

Search This thread

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
After rooting my device I have been using it for some time now. Today It was giving me some trouble (working very slow and restarted apps a few times) so I rebooted my device. Now it seems to be stuck in a bootloop.
It boots till it gets to "Starting Android apps and then it goes back to the Voyager logo.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You,

can only assume some app is misbehaving. So perhaps start over and factory reset.

Reactions: Isrgish

PoDurg

Feb 13, 2018
RCT6873W42-ANDROID6.0-V19-V1.16.50-E04
worked perfectly after i updated ADB. would not work using adb setup 1.3, "fastboot flashing unlock" wouldn't do anything. updated to adb setup 1.4.3 and worked perfect.
however I wasn't thinking that the "device is now untrusted" 30 second timer was going to stay for some reason. :eek: so that part puts a snag in the application I had in mind for the tablet but I needed root anyway so I'm happy.
that message would go away if we could lock the bootloader again wouldn't it?

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
RCT6873W42-ANDROID6.0-V19-V1.16.50-E04
worked perfectly after i updated ADB. would not work using adb setup 1.3, "fastboot flashing unlock" wouldn't do anything. updated to adb setup 1.4.3 and worked perfect.
however I wasn't thinking that the "device is now untrusted" 30 second timer was going to stay for some reason. :eek: so that part puts a snag in the application I had in mind for the tablet but I needed root anyway so I'm happy.
that message would go away if we could lock the bootloader again wouldn't it?

it should, but you would have to also use the original boot.img, so no more root.

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
This may be off topic, But I thought this may be my best bet.

It looks like I messed something up with my Google play store while using Titanium Backup. I tried to integrate the play store and the play services into the rom, This got stuck while it was trying and after a few hours I forced closed Titanium. . When doing this I lost my play store and play services. I went and downloaded them again from FreeAPK and installed them, but since then I can't download anything.

I tried a factory reset, but still no help.

I'm wondering if maybe I ruined the ROM version of these 2 apps. Is there some way to reinstall the ROM? Is there any other help you can suggest.

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
This may be off topic, But I thought this may be my best bet.

It looks like I messed something up with my Google play store while using Titanium Backup. I tried to integrate the play store and the play services into the rom, This got stuck while it was trying and after a few hours I forced closed Titanium. . When doing this I lost my play store and play services. I went and downloaded them again from FreeAPK and installed them, but since then I can't download anything.

I tried a factory reset, but still no help.

I'm wondering if maybe I ruined the ROM version of these 2 apps. Is there some way to reinstall the ROM? Is there any other help you can suggest.

Remember during the the steps I walked you through, when I said boot into cwm and make a backup?

That is what will help you, if you made that backup.

Other than that will need someone else with your same v21 to make a backup.

Last edited:

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
Yes.

i thought of that after posting my question. This did help me,a even though there still seems to be something going on. i still have it sometimes take very long for a download to start. Sometimes it doesn't show notification after it installs a app.

but over all I'm back in business.

Thanks again for all your help.

Isr

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
ADB device Unauthorized.

Hi,

I have previously rooted my device, But now ...

My device stopped booting. So I booted into CWM recovery and I factory reset the device but it still doesn't want to boot. But now when I try to access it through ADB to boot into CWM recovery to restore a backup I made when I rooted the device, I get the unauthorized device.

Is there anything to do now? I have seen in previous posts that people had this problem, but haven'rt seen a solution.

P.S. I can boot into regular recovery. I don't know if this helps.

Please help.

Thank You,

Last edited:

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
Hi,

I have previously rooted my device, But now ...

My device stopped booting. So I booted into CWM recovery and I factory reset the device but it still doesn't want to boot. But now when I try to access it through ADB to boot into CWM recovery to restore a backup I made when I rooted the device, I get the unauthorized device.

Is there anything to do now? I have seen in previous posts that people had this problem, but haven'rt seen a solution.

P.S. I can boot into regular recovery. I don't know if this helps.

Please help.

Thank You,

did you try factory reset in stock recovery ?

any idea what made it stop booting?

should be able to get adb to authorize by trying to do an "adb sideload". I send a dummy file in "adb sideload" and of cource it fails, but then after that the adb is authorized.

then if that helps and gets you back in, please redo the process using the new tool i added to first post. One of the biggest changes I made was an improvement to prevent the unauthorized problem after a factory reset.

Last edited:

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018

should be able to get adb to authorize by trying to do an "adb sideload". I send a dummy file in "adb sideload" and of cource it fails, but then after that the adb is authorized.

I tried to sideload a file, but the device still shows as unauthorized after the sideload.

Is there anyway to make a package out of the backup I have and then apply it from recovery (apply from sdcard)?

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
I tried to sideload a file, but the device still shows as unauthorized after the sideload.

Is there anyway to make a package out of the backup I have and then apply it from recovery (apply from sdcard)?

no, because the stock needs to have "signed" packages. Signed with rca key.

I will have to send you the private key used when i made the stock recovery for you, Then you put that key into your pc and try the side-load trick again.

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
no, because the stock needs to have "signed" packages. Signed with rca key.

I will have to send you the private key used when i made the stock recovery for you, Then you put that key into your pc and try the side-load trick again.

OK

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Yes I wiped from stock recovery as well.

I was having some weird problems with SuperUser app something about su being stolen (not the right word but can't remember). So I tried to reboot. It rebooted to blank screen. At that point I was still able to connect with ADB so I booted to CWM recovery and tried formating the Cache and System when that didn't help I wiped the data. After that I wasn't able to connect with ADB only as unauthorized device.

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
OK

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Yes I wiped from stock recovery as well.

I was having some weird problems with SuperUser app something about su being stolen (not the right word but can't remember). So I tried to reboot. It rebooted to blank screen. At that point I was still able to connect with ADB so I booted to CWM recovery and tried formating the Cache and System when that didn't help I wiped the data. After that I wasn't able to connect with ADB only as unauthorized device.

I had to find the right key.

I put it into a batch file that swapps the key for you.

unzip the attachment, run the batch file , then try to connect to adb, and if not work , do the sideload trick again .

Attachments

• key-swapper.zip
    2 KB · Views: 70

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
I had to find the right key.

I put it into a batch file that swapps the key for you.

unzip the attachment, run the batch file , then try to connect to adb, and if not work , do the sideload trick again .

Now when I did the sideload trick it shows device as recovery. Now I was able to boot into CWM recovery.

When I tried to restore I get an error that the MD% on system.ext4.tar.b mismatched. What can I do for this. Last time I needed to restore it worked fine. As far as I know no changed were made.

Thanks a Million, for your help till here
Isr

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Now when I try to restore my CWM backup I get an error that the file system.ext4.tar.b MD5 mismatched. Last time I restored from this backup it worked fine. As far as I remember I made no changes to the backup.

Please any help?

Thank You,

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
Now when I did the sideload trick it shows device as recovery. Now I was able to boot into CWM recovery.

When I tried to restore I get an error that the MD% on system.ext4.tar.b mismatched. What can I do for this. Last time I needed to restore it worked fine. As far as I know no changed were made.

Thanks a Million, for your help till here
Isr

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Now when I try to restore my CWM backup I get an error that the file system.ext4.tar.b MD5 mismatched. Last time I restored from this backup it worked fine. As far as I remember I made no changes to the backup.

Please any help?

Thank You,

not sure at the moment.

Is there an options menu, if so see if skip MD5 checking is available option.

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
not sure at the moment.

Is there an options menu, if so see if skip MD5 checking is available option.

I went back to my computer and found I had copied the backup there I copied it back to my SD card and its in middle of restoring. If there is any problems I will report back here.

Thank You,

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

I went back to my computer and found I had copied the backup there I copied it back to my SD card and its in middle of restoring. If there is any problems I will report back here.

Thank You,

OK it finished restoring and it looks good.

By the way every time I reboot from CWM recovery it asks that Root access is missing if I want to Root. Should I do this or not?

lsr992

Dec 27, 2017
So after watching this develop from a fat, and unable to get the firmware anywhere, my kid stumbles upon this site today. Scroll through until about the 4th or 5th time you click see more, and blam! RCA. Tons of other cool hard to find firmwares. And it has 4 different versions of this device. The one I downloaded was 100% legit the business.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt

I found one of these tablets, I rooted it using your info. I had another Intel X86 tablet that had a BIOS but was android with a locked bootloader, I looked into installing Windows on it but the bootloader prevented that.

This RCA Intel x86 has an unlocked bootloader but has no BIOS that I can find. Do you know of a way to get this tablet to install 32Bit Windows from USB or maybe dualboot using grub2 somehow? In searching, I've ran across some tools that force a BIOS or similar in order to boot from USB to run the install but it was for Atom Z3736F I think, I wouldn't know how to do the same with this tablet though.

Also, I know it has probably been asked, but I also have a RCT 6973W43, I have them side by side with Aida64 open on both, they are both showing all the same information hardware-wise through every menu. I know other devices with exact same SoC can use the same recoveries. What prevents this from also working on it?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

I found one of these tablets, I rooted it using your info. I had another Intel X86 tablet that had a BIOS but was android with a locked bootloader, I looked into installing Windows on it but the bootloader prevented that.

This RCA Intel x86 has an unlocked bootloader but has no BIOS that I can find. Do you know of a way to get this tablet to install 32Bit Windows from USB or maybe dualboot using grub2 somehow? In searching, I've ran across some tools that force a BIOS or similar in order to boot from USB to run the install but it was for Atom Z3736F I think, I wouldn't know how to do the same with this tablet though.

Last edited:

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD

Also, I know it has probably been asked, but I also have a RCT 6973W43, I have them side by side with Aida64 open on both, they are both showing all the same information hardware-wise through every menu. I know other devices with exact same SoC can use the same recoveries. What prevents this from also working on it?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Don't really know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root has been achieved for rca tablet, With the intel atom chip

Basic steps are Just like many android devices.

1. Unlock boot loader
    2. Flash modified stock recovery
    3. Test boot a permissive boot.img
    4. Flash permissive boot.img (if test boot was ok)
    5. Boot into Custom recovery and flash superSu.

The modified recovery has adb active. This is needed to get back into bootloader mode if flashing goes wrong.
    Because on the RCA tablet there is no button combination for bootloader boot mode.

Steps that the included tool performs:

First step tool does is ask soc type. (intel or MTK) for this guide it needs to be intel.

1. Guides user through the bootloader unlock steps.
    adb reboot fastboot
    verifies the status of unlocked or not
    verifies the ability to do unlock in not already unlocked
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot format userdata
    fastboot format cache
    fastboot reboot

2. Fastboot boot generic CWM recovery. To use its root shell for copying devices boot.img and recovery.img
    3. Use Carliv Android Image kitchen tools to unpack the pulled boot.img and recovery.img
    RECOVERY
    4. copy adbkey.pub from pc running the patch to stock-recovery\ramdisk\data\misc\adb\adb_keys
    copy adbkey.pub from pc running the patch to stock-recovery\ramdisk\adb_keys
    this s done to ensure an authorized adb connection to device even after factory reset and data format
    5. Edit recovery\ramdisk\default.prop as follows:
    "ro.secure=1" to "ro.secure=0"
    "ro.debuggable=0" to "ro.debuggable=1"
    "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp" "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb"
    add line: persist.service.adb.enable=1
    add line: persist.service.debuggable=1
    6. Use Carliv Android Image kitchen tools to re-pack recovery
    BOOT
    7. copy adbkey.pub from pc running the patch to stock-boot\ramdisk\data\misc\adb\adb_keys
    copy adbkey.pub from pc running the patch to stock-boot\ramdisk\adb_keys
    this s done to ensure an authorized adb connection to device even after factory reset and data format
    8. Edit boot\ramdisk\default.prop as follows:
    "ro.secure=1" to "ro.secure=0"
    "ro.debuggable=0" to "ro.debuggable=1"
    "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp" "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb"
    add line: persist.service.adb.enable=1
    add line: persist.service.debuggable=1
    9. Edit boot\ramdisk\*fstab* as follows:
    "forceencrypt" to "encryptable"
    10. Add these lines to boot/ramdisk/init.rc after the line that starts: "on init"
    # root use Permissive
    write /sys/fs/selinux/enforce 0
    11. Swap sepolicy and /sbin/adbd with permissive (insecure) versions included in tool "/img" folder
    12. Use Carliv Android Image kitchen tools to re-pack boot
    CWM
    13. Use Carliv Android Image kitchen tools to unpack the generic CWM
    14. copy stock-recovery\recovery.img-kernel to unpacked generic CWM folder (replacing file that is there)
    copy stock-recovery\recovery.img-second to unpacked generic CWM folder (replacing file that is there)
    15. Use Carliv Android Image kitchen tools to re-pack CWM
    SECOND / FLASH MENU
    16. fastboot boot patched boot.img
    used to verify patched image does not cause device to brick
    17. fastboot flash boot patched-boot.img
    flashes patched-boot (user must have verified boot image works in previous step)
    then formats /data to remove encryption
    18. fastboot flash recovery patched-recovery
    stock recovery does not seem to work when booted, so test booting pached image not done
    this modified recovery is needed to be able to get back to bootloader mode if trouble occurs.
    19. Load patched CWM
    loads patched recovery to be used to flash SuperSu and also to make device "back-ups"

Updated 2-4-2018 Multi-platform-patch-tool
    ==>>Multi-platform-patch-tool

Downloads Needed:
    Download adb=fastboot 15 second instal == https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
    Download intel drivers == https://software.intel.com/en-us/protected-download/385047/494732
    Download SuperSu.zip == https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/supersu/v2-64-2-66-supersu-mode-t3286120

@vampirefo for most of the needed parts to make this work. CWM, permissive su-policy, without that this would not be possible

@bluefirebird For the image unpack tool

Youtube video I found , of someone explaining how he used the files to root his device.

Video is from before patch tool written. Video was from when individual build files were available.
    New method of patching individual device files , removes possibility of flashing files from wrong device.

History of this root method started in this thread.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/help/rca-voyager-rct6873w42-rooting-help-t3485625
    Many thanks, mrmazak. Anyone would know your heart's in the right place and your help is first-rate.

Jake
    I had a dream that it was an SD card holding me back. Sure enough, there was an SD card installed in the tablet which was preventing me from unlocking the bootloader. So as of now, it is unlocked and I will proceed with your directions and post an update shortly.
    power down tablet and go into recovery mode by pressing power and up button. make sure to insert a blank micro card big enough for the backup. nothing on it . once in then select backup user and this can take up to 45 min so be patient. when done. take out card and replace orginal and select reboot to system and ur done. pics below hope they help

You might be able to use this thread to make twrp for the mtk version.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2798257

The thread is long and comments suggest it is still working method takes very little for it to work. There is good AIO script tool .

Now bootloader is unlocked. I did not suggest before because it needs to be unlocked
    Yeah, Installing it through the app results in a bootloop.

I'm trying to get out of the bootloop.
    https://github.com/rovo89/Xposed/issues/77

Sent from my Life_Max using Tapatalk