[GUIDE] Re-locking the bootloader on the OnePlus 6t with a self-signed build of LOS

Search This thread

WhitbyGreg

Jul 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
I think I misunderstood which files needed to be patched. I was trying to only patch the Makefile but that was leading to the vendor.img not being included in the signed-target-files zip. With the 18.1 compatible patches for the releasetools from https://github.com/Wunderment/build_tasks/tree/master/source I'm able to get past that error. Are you building 18.1 with those patches or is it working for you with just the Makefile patch?
You need all of the patches for it to work.

mattya__

Oct 26, 2021
Reactions: WhitbyGreg

Active-Hawk

Feb 3, 2020
@WhitbyGreg I've been wanting to try LineageOS 19 with a locked bootloader because Widevine L1 is a must for me. I did some searching and I found this request that was merged for LineageOS 19, does it have anything to do with being able to lock the bootloader?

WhitbyGreg

Jul 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
@WhitbyGreg I've been wanting to try LineageOS 19 with a locked bootloader because Widevine L1 is a must for me. I did some searching and I found this request that was merged for LineageOS 19, does it have anything to do with being able to lock the bootloader?
Yes and no.

The change is to align the signing of the paritions to match OOS, but the result is that the bootloader still won't relock with a custom OS.

I've been working on this in my spare time, but no luck so far.

From what I've seen of the OOS 12 bootloader, it looks like they've made a lot of changes to it (aka replaced it with the one from OPPO). This may include removing the custom avb key support. If so, there's not much we can do 🤷

The OOS 11 abl partition was ~2m, where as the new OOS 12 abl parition is about 200k. OOS 13 beta abl parition is about 200k as well.

EDIT: Note this is only with reference to the Oneplus 9 phones, older phones like the 6/6t don't have newer versions of OOS so it's not an issue, you can still relock the bootloader using the existing guide with LineageOS 19.

Active-Hawk

Feb 3, 2020
Yes and no.

The change is to align the signing of the paritions to match OOS, but the result is that the bootloader still won't relock with a custom OS.

I've been working on this in my spare time, but no luck so far.

From what I've seen of the OOS 12 bootloader, it looks like they've made a lot of changes to it (aka replaced it with the one from OPPO). This may include removing the custom avb key support. If so, there's not much we can do 🤷

The OOS 11 abl partition was ~2m, where as the new OOS 12 abl parition is about 200k. OOS 13 beta abl parition is about 200k as well.

EDIT: Note this is only with reference to the Oneplus 9 phones, older phones like the 6/6t don't have newer versions of OOS so it's not an issue, you can still relock the bootloader using the existing guide with LineageOS 19.
I see, thanks for the info! I'm Indeed still using my good ol' 6T. I've never built LineageOS before so I'm going to have quite a bit of work cut out for me. I see the patches are for LineageOS 17, do they need to be changed for LineageOS 19?

Active-Hawk

Feb 3, 2020
Awesome, thanks for all the info!

I tried a couple of times to get this working however it's all above my skill set unfortunately. I have my trusty OnePlus 6T running LineageOS and I'd really like to be able to lock the bootloader so I can get Widevine L1. At the moment my only options are the official outdated ROM with Widevine or LineageOS. It would be really awesome if LineageOS supported locking the bootloader out of the box, or if there was a tool for none advanced users like myself to get it done. For now my only hope is that a ROM like LineageOS starts to put more priority on being able to look the bootloader post install.

WhitbyGreg

Jul 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
Awesome, thanks for all the info!
No problem.

It would be really awesome if LineageOS supported locking the bootloader out of the box, or if there was a tool for none advanced users like myself to get it done. For now my only hope is that a ROM like LineageOS starts to put more priority on being able to look the bootloader post install.
Not likely to happen, if you want this you will need to use GrapheneOS or CalyxOS and a Pixel device. Especailly how that future Oneplus phones no longer support custom avb keys.

WhitbyGreg

Jul 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
I didn't know that about new OnePlus phones, such a shame they're running from their modders-phone roots.
Yeah, with the merge of OxygenOS and ColorOS for Android 12, they removed the custom avb key support from the bootloader (ColorOS didn't support it previously).

That leaves the Pixel devices (there are a couple others but they're not well supported) as the best option now.

DevelLevel

Hey,
To start of I would like to thank you for this amazing guide @WhitbyGreg. With it, I breezed through all the steps and successfully re-locked the bootloader and booted into the system with a self signed build of Lineage 17.1 on my oneplus 6. I only encountered one issue where I had to specify the use of python2 instead of python3.

Now with this success in mind I wanted to achieve the same with a build of LOS 19.1. I combined the guide you made for the Google Pixel 5 and the one in this thread. I had already completed a self signed 19.1 build that successfully booted. Then I followed the device specific steps form this thread and used the 19.1 patches from GP5: I should also mention that the OOS version i used to extract the vendor and flash before LOS was the latest 11.1.2.2: OnePlus6Oxygen_22.J.62_OTA_0620_all_2111252336_14afec75dd6fa.zip

All the other steps completed without any sign of error, but when I try to boot the OTA even before locking the bootloader, the phone starts up, displays the custom firmware warning for some seconds and then vibrates and instantly reboots to the bootloader...
From there the recovery is working, but not the system (I have also tried to factory reset after the flash too).

Is this something you or anyone else has encountered? Or has someone that managed to build LOS 19.1 had to do something special to successfully boot?

WhitbyGreg

Jul 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
OnePlus 5T
Hey,
To start of I would like to thank you for this amazing guide @WhitbyGreg. With it, I breezed through all the steps and successfully re-locked the bootloader and booted into the system with a self signed build of Lineage 17.1 on my oneplus 6. I only encountered one issue where I had to specify the use of python2 instead of python3.

Now with this success in mind I wanted to achieve the same with a build of LOS 19.1. I combined the guide you made for the Google Pixel 5 and the one in this thread. I had already completed a self signed 19.1 build that successfully booted. Then I followed the device specific steps form this thread and used the 19.1 patches from GP5: I should also mention that the OOS version i used to extract the vendor and flash before LOS was the latest 11.1.2.2: OnePlus6Oxygen_22.J.62_OTA_0620_all_2111252336_14afec75dd6fa.zip

All the other steps completed without any sign of error, but when I try to boot the OTA even before locking the bootloader, the phone starts up, displays the custom firmware warning for some seconds and then vibrates and instantly reboots to the bootloader...
From there the recovery is working, but not the system (I have also tried to factory reset after the flash too).

Is this something you or anyone else has encountered? Or has someone that managed to build LOS 19.1 had to do something special to successfully boot?
Haven't seen that, I do have a OnePlus 6 running 19.1 signed/locked, so there isn't anything fundementally wrong with the patches.

What probably has gone wrong is that you no longer need to use the OOS vendor.img file, as LineageOS 19.1 builds the required vendor image as part of the build process. Try removing the steps associated with vendor.img in the 17.1 instructions and see if that resolves the bootloop.

Reactions: DevelLevel

DevelLevel

Haven't seen that, I do have a OnePlus 6 running 19.1 signed/locked, so there isn't anything fundementally wrong with the patches.

What probably has gone wrong is that you no longer need to use the OOS vendor.img file, as LineageOS 19.1 builds the required vendor image as part of the build process. Try removing the steps associated with vendor.img in the 17.1 instructions and see if that resolves the bootloop.
Thank you for your response!
(I did not know that they changed the way of handling the vendor image...)

Now I am running into an even weirder issue, I removed the vendor associated steps (and got a build which booted with a unlocked bootloader but not when locked) and then fiddled around a little with the device makefiles and patches. Which resulted in a successful build of a self signed LOS 19.1 with a locked the bootloader:)
But I wanted to know which steps was required to reproduce the build again, so I re downloaded the full LOS 19.1 source again and gradually worked my way through the patches with multiple builds... But now I am unable to boot in a locked state again:(
The phone displays the "Different operating system" waringscreen and after that shows the oneplus logo, then reboots to the bootloader.
Then general procedure I followed was:
Build for Enchilada and Signing Builds
OP6 step 4:
(AB_OTA_PARTITIONS += vendor) with and without this.
BOARD_AVB_ALGORITHM := SHA256_RSA2048
BOARD_AVB_KEY_PATH := xxx

Patching 19.1:
core_Make
(add_img_to_target_files) with and without this.

Sign and generate OTA
Flash build (Which boots)
Flash pkmd.bin and lock bootloader
I will experiment some more and tell you if i find the culprit...

DevelLevel

Thank you for your response!
(I did not know that they changed the way of handling the vendor image...)

Now I am running into an even weirder issue, I removed the vendor associated steps (and got a build which booted with a unlocked bootloader but not when locked) and then fiddled around a little with the device makefiles and patches. Which resulted in a successful build of a self signed LOS 19.1 with a locked the bootloader:)
But I wanted to know which steps was required to reproduce the build again, so I re downloaded the full LOS 19.1 source again and gradually worked my way through the patches with multiple builds... But now I am unable to boot in a locked state again:(
The phone displays the "Different operating system" waringscreen and after that shows the oneplus logo, then reboots to the bootloader.
Then general procedure I followed was:
Build for Enchilada and Signing Builds
OP6 step 4:
(AB_OTA_PARTITIONS += vendor) with and without this.
BOARD_AVB_KEY_PATH := xxx

Patching 19.1:
core_Make
(add_img_to_target_files) with and without this.

Sign and generate OTA
Flash build (Which boots)
Flash pkmd.bin and lock bootloader
I will experiment some more and tell you if i find the culprit...
Oh,
I forgot to post here that I fixed the issue. It was a simple mistake of course :)
I have been running a self built LOS 20 with microg patches applied with a locked bootloader for some time now, so it seems to be working on android 13 without any issues on the OnePlus6.
The one thing that I missed was as pointed out by @WhitbyGreg to include some of the prebuilt images from stock OxygenOS. Which can be seen here.
All in all I followed these steps:
Build LOS
Sign LOS (Though you'll need to add "verity sdk_sandbox bluetooth" in the for loop to what is said on lineage.org if you are building LOS 20)
(create the releasekey.key with this command
Code:
openssl pkcs8 -in releasekey.pk8 -inform DER -out releasekey.key -nocrypt
in ~/android-certs)

Add the required lines in the device boardconfig.mk (and modify them of course)
Comment out the two avb related lines in sdm845-common's BoardConfigCommon.mk (step5 in this thread)

Patch core_Make as per the instructions given in the first post.
Extract the needed images from the latest OxygenOS to (device-tree)/images/
Add AndroidBoard.mk to (device-tree)/AnderoidBoard.mk

Build and sign the OTA image again
Flash OTA image
Generate pkmd.bin and flash, as per the instructions given in the first post.
Reboot
Success!
(The two .rc patches might be nessesary if you are flashing from LOS recovery, but i did not)
Thank you once again for this guide @WhitbyGreg !

Reactions: WhitbyGreg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is this tutorial?
    This tutorial will:
    • Creating an unofficial build of LineageOS 17.1 suitable for using to re-lock the bootloader on a OnePlus 6/6t
    • Take you through the process of re-locking your bootloader after installing the above

This tutorial will NOT:
    • Remove *all* warning messages during boot (the yellow "Custom OS" message will be present though the orange "Unlocked bootloader" message will not)
    • Allow you to use official builds of LineageOS 17.1 on your device with a re-locked bootloader (more details near the end of the tutorial)
    This tutorial will assume you are working on an Ubuntu 18.04 installation, if you are using Windows or another Linux distro, the commands may be different.

Supported devices:
    Current both the OnePlus 6 (enchilada) and 6t (fajita) have been tested, but newer phones should work as well.

For simplicities sake, all further references will only be to the 6t (fajita).

Pre-requisites:
    • a mid level knowledge of terminal commands and features
    • a supported phone
    • a PC with enough CPU/RAM to build LineageOS 17.1 (recommended 8 cores, 24g of RAM)
    • a working USB cable
    • fastboot/adb installed and functional
    • LineageOS 17.1 source code downloaded
    • at least one successful build of LineageOS
    • at least one successful signing of your build with your own keys

Misc. notes:
    • the basics of building/signing of LineageOS is outside the scope of this tutorial, refer to the LineageOS Wiki for details on how to complete these tasks
    • you'll be modifying some code in LineageOS, so if you are not comfortable using basic editing utilities as well as patch, do not proceed any further
    • the path to your LineageOS source code is going to be assumed to be ~/android/lineageos, if it is somewhere else, substitute the correct path in the tutorial
    • the path to your private certificate files is going to be assumed to be ~/android-certs, if it is somewhere else, substitute the correct path in the tutorial

*** WARNING ****
    This process may brick your device. Do not proceed unless you are comfortable taking this risk.

*** WARNING ****
    This process will delete all data on your phone! Do not proceed unless you have backed up your data!

*** WARNING ****
    Make sure you have read through this entire process at least once before attempting, if you are uncomfortable with any steps include in this guide, do not continue.

And now on with the show!

Step 1: Basic setup

You need a few places to store things, so create some working directories:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/android/fajita
    mkdir ~/android/fajita/oos
    mkdir ~/android/fajita/images
    mkdir ~/android/fajita/images_raw
    mkdir ~/android/fajita/patches
    mkdir ~/android/fajita/pkmd
    You also need to add "~/android/lineageos/out/host/linux-x86/bin" to your shell's profile path. Make sure to close and restart your session afterwards otherwise the signing will fail later on with a "file not found" error message .

Step 2: Download the latest OxygenOS from OnePlus

Go to https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade and download the latest OOS update, store it in ~/android/fajita/oos

Step 3: Extract the vendor.img from OOS

Run the following commands to extract the vendor.img from OOS:

Code:
    cd ~/android/fajita/oos
    unzip [oos file name you downloaded] payload.bin
    cd ../images_raw
    python ~/android/lineageos/lineage/scripts/update-payload-extractor/extract.py --partitions vendor --output_dir . ../oos/payload.bin

You should now have a ~1g file named vendor.img in the images_raw directory.

Step 4: Update fajita's BoardConfig.mk

You will need to add a few parameters to the end of ~/android/lineageos/device/oneplus/fajita/BoardConfig.mk, they are:

Code:
    BOARD_PREBUILT_VENDORIMAGE := /home/<userid>/android/fajita/images_raw/vendor.img
    AB_OTA_PARTITIONS += vendor
    BOARD_AVB_KEY_PATH := /home/<userid>/.android-certs/releasekey.key

Note you cannot use "~"" in the path names above to signify your home directory, so give the full absolute path to make sure the files are found.

Step 5: Update sdm845-common's BoardConfigCommon.mk (optional)

LineageOS by default disables Android Verified Boot's partition verification, but you can enable it now as all the required parts will be in place. However, you may not want to if you intend to make other changes to the system/boot/vendor partitions (like Magisk, etc.) after you have re-locked the bootloader.

To enable partition verification do the following:

Code:
    cd ~/android/lineageos/devices/sdm845-common
    sed -i 's/^BOARD_AVB_MAKE_VBMETA_IMAGE_ARGS += --flag 2/#BOARD_AVB_MAKE_VBMETA_IMAGE_ARGS += --flag 2/' BoardConfigCommon.mk

Step 6: Patch the AOSP/LineageOS releasetools

Two releasetools included with LineageOS need to be patched as they otherwise will not properly process a pre-built vendor.img.

The required patches can be found here:

Download both and store in ~/android/fajita/patches.

Now apply them with the following commands:

Code:
    cd ~/android/lineageos/build/tools/releasetools
    patch add_image_to_target_files.py ~/android/fajita/patches/add_image_to_target_files.py-17.1.patch
    patch sign_target_files_apks.py ~/android/fajita/patches/sign_target_files_apks.py-17.1.patch

Step 7: Build LineageOS

You are now ready to build:

Code:
    cd ~/android/lineageos
    source build/envsetup.sh
    croot
    breakfast fajita
    mka target-files-package otatools

Step 8: Prepare vendor.img

As part of the build process above, your raw vendor.img will been copied to the $OUT directory and a new hashtree (what AVB uses to verify the image) will have been added to it.

You need to use this new version in the signing process but due to how the build system works, this is not done by default.

So, let's put it where it is needed:

Code:
    cp $OUT/obj/PACKAGING/target_files_intermediates/lineage_fajita-target_files-eng.*/IMAGES/vendor.img ~/android/fajita/images

Step 9: Sign the APKs

You are now ready to sign the apks with sign_target_files_apks:

Code:
    ./build/tools/releasetools/sign_target_files_apks -o -d ~/.android-certs --prebuilts_path ~/android/fajita/images $OUT/obj/PACKAGING/target_files_intermediates/*-target_files-*.zip signed-target_files.zip

Note the new "--prebuilts_path" option, which points to where your new vendor.img file is located.

Step 10: Build the OTA

Now it is time to complete the OTA package:

Code:
    ./build/tools/releasetools/ota_from_target_files -k ~/.android-certs/releasekey --block signed-target_files.zip lineage-17.1-[date]-UNOFFICIAL-fajita-signed.zip

Note, replace [date] with today's date in YYYYMMDD format.

Step 11: Create pkmd.bin for your phone

Before you can lock your phone, you have to tell it what your public key is so it knows it can trust your build.

To do this you need to create a pkmd.bin file:

Code:
    ~/android/lineageos/external/avb/avbtool extract_public_key --key ~/.android-certs/releasekey.key --output ~/android/fajita/pkmd/pkmd.bin

Step 12: Flashing your LineageOS build

It's time to flash your build to your phone. The following steps assume you have already unlocked your phone and have flashed an official version of LineageOS to it. You don't need to have flashed LineageOS yet, you could use TWRP through "fastboot boot" if you prefer.

• Reboot your phone in to recovery mode
    • In LineageOS Recovery select "Apply update"
    • From your PC, run:
    Code:
    adb sideload ~/android/lineageos/lineage-17.1-[date]-UNOFFICIAL-fajita-signed.zip
    When the sideload is complete, reboot in to LineageOS. Make sure everything looks good with your build.

You may also need to format your data partition at this time depending on what you had installed on your phone previously.

Step 13: Flashing your signing key

Now it's time to add your signing key to the Android Verified Boot process. To do so, do the following:

• Reboot your phone in to fastboot mode
    • From your PC, run:
    Code:
    fastboot flash avb_custom_key ~/android/fajita/pkmd/pkmd.bin
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem lock
    • On your phone, confirm you want to re-lock and it will reboot

Your phone will then factory reset and then reboot in to LineageOS.

Which of course means you have to go through the first time setup wizard, so do so now.

Step 14: Disable OEM unlock

Congratulations! Your boot loader is now locked, but you can still unlock it again using fastboot, so it's time to disable that as well.

• Unlock you phone and go to Settings->About phone
    • Scroll to the bottom and find "Build number"
    • Tap on it you enable the developer options
    • Go to Settings->System->Advanced->Developer options
    • Disable the "OEM unlocking" slider
    • Reboot

Step 15: Profit!

Other things

• The above will build a standard USERDEBUG version of LineageOS, however this will still allow LineageOS Recovery to sideload non-signed files. If you have implemented step 5 above, then this protects your system/vendor/boot/dtbo partitions, but none of the others. Likewise USERDEBUG builds will allow for rolling back to a previous version. To increase security and disallow both of these scenarios you may want to build a USER version of LineageOS to install. However this brings in other issues, such as flashing newer firmware from OnePlus so make sure you understand the implications of both choices. For more details on build types, see https://source.android.com/setup/develop/new-device#build-variants.
    • In the above example the releasekey from your LineageOS install has been used to sign AVB, but AVB supports other key strengths up to SHA512_RSA8192. You could create a key just for signing AVB that used different options than the default keys generated to sign LineageOS.
    • If you want to remove you signing key from your phone, you can do it by running "fastboot erase avb_custom_key".
    • The changes you made to the make files and releasetools may conflict with future updates that you pull from LineageOS through repo sync, if you have to reset the files to get repo sync to complete successfully, you'll have to reapply the changes afterwards.

So why can't I do this with official LineageOS builds?

For Android Verified Boot (AVB) to work, it must have the hash values for each of the system/vendor/boot/dtbo partitions stored in vbmeta. Official LineageOS builds do not include the vendor.img in them (for fajita at least, other phones may), instead simply using the existing partition on the phone.

That means that there is no vendor.img information in vbmeta for the official builds, which means AVB will fail to verify it during boot and give the red corruption message and halt the boot process after you have re-locked the bootloader.

And since you cannot add to vbmeta without the LineageOS private key, which only the LineageOS signing server has, you cannot add it.

This means you must do a full build with new signing keys to make it work.

Theoretically you could pick apart a LineageOS release, rehash the system/vendor/boot/dtbo and then recreate vbmeta and the payload.bin file, but that brings a host of other issues. For example, since such a "build" would look like a full LinageOS release, if you ever accidentally let the updater run it would brick (soft) that slot and you'd have swap back to your other slot to boot again. In an extreme case, if you managed to corrupt the second slot somehow you'd have to wipe your entire and recover from the brick with one of the available tools to do so.

Ok, what messages do I see during the boot process then?

During a boot you will of course see the standard OnePlus power up screen, followed by the yellow "custom os" message an then the stardard LineageOS boot animation.

For more details on AVB boot messages, see https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/boot-flow

So what do those two patches to the release tools do?

AOSP/LineageOS's add_image_to_target_files.py detects if a vendor.img file already exists, and if so, simply includes it in the build process. The patch adds one extra step, so that AVB is being enabled for the build, it will replace the existing hashtree on vendor.img using the same salt and other options as will be used on system/boot/dtbo. This ensure that when vbmeta is generated, it has the right information from vendor.img.

The script is called from the make system as part of the "mka target-files-package otatools" and the appropriate parameters from the make system, like "BOARD_PREBUILT_VENDORIMAGE", are used to create arguments to the script to build the standard image files as well as include the prebuilt vendor.img.

This script is used both during the initial build as well as the signing process, but this change is only targeted at the build time implementation. During signing, the script uses whatever hashtrees are in place and does not regenerate them.

AOSP/LineageOS's sign_target_files_apks.py is responsible for signing the APKs that have been built as part of "mka target-files-package otatools", unfortunately it is not part of the "make" system, so settings like "BOARD_PREBUILT_VENDORIMAGE" do not impact the script. This means that sign_target_files_apks.py does not have any knowledge that it should be including a pre-built vendor.img, even though it is in the $OUT directory waiting to be used.

The patch adds a new parameter to the script (--prebuilts_path), so that during the signing process, any image files found in the provided path, will be included in the process. So make sure that only vendor.img is in the provided directory. This is a directory instead of a single file as future uses may be to include things like firmware, other partition types, etc. in to the signing process.

Thank you's

This guide was very helpful to me when re-locking my Oneplus 7T and enabling hash/hashtree verification. A dude on telegram had actually sent me the link and I only briefly skimmed over. Ironically when looking for patches to fix my issues after attempting to include pre-built vendor/odm and failing I cross referenced and ended up back here.

Here's where I originally found them:
    https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/278015
    https://review.aosip.dev/c/AOSIP/platform_build/+/13385

I myself have made some more patches to ensure every possible pre-built image gets signed on my builds. After some experimentation I have found it possible to have Magisk with hash verification enabled :D

https://github.com/Geofferey/omni_android_build/commits/geofferey/android-10

There is also a fix to ensure appropriate args get passed when regenerating hashtree for pre-built vendor.
    This guide was very helpful to me when re-locking my Oneplus 7T and enabling hash/hashtree verification.

So you can confirm you have relocked the bootloader on the 7T with AVB enabled?

A dude on telegram had actually sent me the link and I only briefly skimmed over. Ironically when looking for patches to fix my issues after attempting to include pre-built vendor/odm and failing I cross referenced and ended up back here.

Here's where I originally found them:
    https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_build/+/278015
    https://review.aosip.dev/c/AOSIP/platform_build/+/13385

Yes, those are my patches that I've submitted to LOS, I also have two other patches submitted to allow for other prebuilt images (aka firmware images) to be included in the build process.

I myself have made some more patches to ensure every possible pre-built image gets signed on my builds. After some experimentation I have found it possible to have Magisk with hash verification enabled :D

https://github.com/Geofferey/omni_android_build/commits/geofferey/android-10

There is also a fix to ensure appropriate args get passed when regenerating hashtree for pre-built vendor.

I'll take a look and see if I need to update any of my submissions, thanks.
    hi

I just tried to follow your guide for another device but I seem to have a problem with creating the right "release.key" file.
    Currently I have "releasekey.pk8" and "releasekey.x509.pem" which I both created by following the guide from lineageos for signing my built. Now I wanted to use them for avb too but I can't figure out how to create the "releasekey.key" that I'm supposed to provide in BOARD_AVB_KEY_PATH.
    Using the files directly is out of the question as it gives an error right away (error says expecting PUBLIC KEY or PRIVATE KEY), so I tried to "extract" various parts (private key, public key) from them using openssl but it doesn't seem to be enough though.
    So can you give me a little hint on how get the right key file (format) that is expected by avb_tool?
    The official avb guide from google only mentions a "/path/to/key_used_for_signing_or_pub_key" but not what format is expected.

wkr adt
    You can use this to convert it to the right format:

openssl pkcs8 -in releasekey.pk8 -inform DER -outform PEM -out releasekey.key -nocrypt
    For anyone that is interested, I've posted an updated guide for LineageOS 20.0 on the Pixel 6 here.