[Guide] Redmi Note 4 - Unlock Bootloader / Unbrick / Recovery

Search This thread

coolkid3245

Aug 15, 2012
--------------------------------------------------FindInstalledInf: Searching for installed INF files...

Have Installed MTK USB Port -------- oem45.inf

Have Installed PreLoader USB VCOM Port -------- oem46.inf

Have not install ----------------------- MediaTek USB VCOM (Android)

Have Installed ADB -------- oem47.inf

Have not install ----------------------- RNDIS

Have not install ----------------------- MTP

--------------------------------------------------FindInstalledInf: Search complete.

After installing the driver from DriverInstaller.exe, is this normal? Win10 64bit, already disabled signature enforcement.

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9

Wilderone

Nov 28, 2016
Adelaide
I also had to flash the China Developer ROM to unlock, but I think the difference between these Vendor Rom's Fake or otherwise is some don't have the unlock option under Developer Options as below pictured. & After helping a few people over in the en.miui forums I've come to believe that's how some people get stuck:
7636eb6a4623e6cd8bec2b6833bc1b4b.jpg

932bdafc1ef1ab4f580a43f2193469ca.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Athora

Dec 21, 2015
I also had to flash the China Developer ROM to unlock, but I think the difference between these Vendor Rom's Fake or otherwise is some don't have the unlock option under Developer Options as below pictured. & After helping a few people over in the en.miui forums I've come to believe that's how some people get stuck:
7636eb6a4623e6cd8bec2b6833bc1b4b.jpg

932bdafc1ef1ab4f580a43f2193469ca.jpg

That's strange, my RN4 doesn't have that option but my MIUI 8 seems to be running smoothly, and the languages are fine. Only issue I found was that the Locale is always set to China after reboot.

evl01

Jun 12, 2013
"Phone is not connected" ... put your phone in Fastboot Mode and connect it ... follow the instructions.

ok.. my experience

you can follow all the guide if you want but its not mandatory to flash the developer china rom.
i just unlock my bootloader being on chinese oficial rom that came with my device.
you get the permission to unlock bootloader, then unlock normally just connecting the phone in fastboot mode.
then, you flash the recovery and then from the recovery you install the xiaomi.eu global rom. just have to choose if you want weekly or stable monthly

Akorstayblessed

May 8, 2014
ok.. my experience

you can follow all the guide if you want but its not mandatory to flash the developer china rom.
i just unlock my bootloader being on chinese oficial rom that came with my device.
you get the permission to unlock bootloader, then unlock normally just connecting the phone in fastboot mode.
then, you flash the recovery and then from the recovery you install the xiaomi.eu global rom. just have to choose if you want weekly or stable monthly

Please will unlocking my bootloader wipe my installed apps on my Phone???

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Current account is different from the account info on the device"

how do I fix this problem

stephanisk

Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for the guide... but how to unlock bootloader

Hi guys,

First of all, you saved my phone, i don't know what happened, but phone crashed while i was calling and he didn't recognize my fingerprint nor my pincode, so he locked every time for 2 hours. i flashed a global rom mtk now and it works.

BUT... i do have a question, how to unlock the bootloader without xiaomi permission???? cause that takes forever apparantly, i waited a week after applying and not using my phone so now i flashed it and lost all data. If i would have had an unlocked bootloader i could have fixed this issue i had in a few seconds by wiping user data.
I have found a guide on the redmi note 3 but that guide doesn't work for the redmi note 4. for starters my qualcomm drivers always remain with exclamation mark.

Does any of you have a guide how to unlock the bootloader without the official mi tool???? It would be highly appreciated.

Regards and thanks.

Stephane

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
Hi guys,

First of all, you saved my phone, i don't know what happened, but phone crashed while i was calling and he didn't recognize my fingerprint nor my pincode, so he locked every time for 2 hours. i flashed a global rom mtk now and it works.

BUT... i do have a question, how to unlock the bootloader without xiaomi permission???? cause that takes forever apparantly, i waited a week after applying and not using my phone so now i flashed it and lost all data. If i would have had an unlocked bootloader i could have fixed this issue i had in a few seconds by wiping user data.
I have found a guide on the redmi note 3 but that guide doesn't work for the redmi note 4. for starters my qualcomm drivers always remain with exclamation mark.

Does any of you have a guide how to unlock the bootloader without the official mi tool???? It would be highly appreciated.

Regards and thanks.

Stephane
Just do it the Xiaomi way, I'm not even sure there is an unofficial way, but it's not worth bricking your phone over. And it will most likely be more complicated (the Xiaomi way can be tricky enough) The unlock code can be received in a couple of days, in my own experience. Once you request permission and have a Xiaomi account, make sure to go to the MIUI forum and make a few posts/replies, this can help ensure there are no delays as you have a bit of an established 'profile'. When stating the reason for unlock just be honest and say you live outside of China and you wish to unlock your bootloader to install custom Roms on your new Xiaomi Redmi note 4.

That's what I done and got unlocked no problem, if you're having any probs just drop a post here on XDA and someone will help out as we've all went through the same process.

Wilderone

Nov 28, 2016
Adelaide
Hello everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have one problem i can't install TWRP

https://postimg.org/image/rlrs5fme7/
Hi,
So what I can see is that when you issued the commands "adb reboot bootloader"& "adb devices" it produced errors immediately.

What that tells you is that you are not connected to your device.

Usually when everything is setup correctly you will see an output below the "adb devices" command something along the lines of:
>List of devices attached
>serial_number state

If you get a serial number, you're good to keep issuing the rest of the commands, If you don't, make sure you're in the right folder and that you have the device driver installed correctly. And be sure you have USB debugging turned on & your in fastboot.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

Hi guys,

Regards and thanks.

Stephane

Hi,
As @gsmyth said do it the official way & maybe apply again using another email/mobile number if you have too.
Mine only took 3 days with a handful of posts over on en.miui site.

There is a thread around that describes an unofficial way but it's in very early development & I won't even link it here because people are using that technique out of frustration & then only partially unlocking there bootloaders.
It's causing all sorts of bad issues that they can not come back from & then when they try the official method it stops that from working too.

Reactions: vivimilan

x3m.zone

May 12, 2012
Cluj-Napoca
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Just do it the Xiaomi way, I'm not even sure there is an unofficial way, but it's not worth bricking your phone over. And it will most likely be more complicated (the Xiaomi way can be tricky enough) The unlock code can be received in a couple of days, in my own experience. Once you request permission and have a Xiaomi account, make sure to go to the MIUI forum and make a few posts/replies, this can help ensure there are no delays as you have a bit of an established 'profile'. When stating the reason for unlock just be honest and say you live outside of China and you wish to unlock your bootloader to install custom Roms on your new Xiaomi Redmi note 4.

That's what I done and got unlocked no problem, if you're having any probs just drop a post here on XDA and someone will help out as we've all went through the same process.

If you have bought the phone with China Rom, then you can go with official way.
But if you are in Europe and your phone came with Global Rom, then you need to follow this guide.
Now, you can instal Global Dev and see if you can unlock wia official way (not tested scenario, worth trying). At the time when this guide was writen there was no Global Dev Rom available, only China.

Reactions: ulev

Akorstayblessed

May 8, 2014
If you have bought the phone with China Rom, then you can go with official way.
But if you are in Europe and your phone came with Global Rom, then you need to follow this guide.
Now, you can instal Global Dev and see if you can unlock wia official way (not tested scenario, worth trying). At the time when this guide was writen there was no Global Dev Rom available, only China.

When of the Rom is best to download and use the one that got good battery backup
am confuse i got this from this link http://en.miui.com/a-234.html
Redmi Note 4 Latest China Developer Version Fastboot File Download
Redmi Note 4 Latest China Stable Version Fastboot File Download
Redmi Note 4 MTK Latest Global Developer Version Fastboot File Download
Redmi Note 4 MTK Latest Global Stable Version Fastboot File Download

dreuzel

Oct 15, 2011
Can I please have CUST.BIN in real download ... no google drive please
thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's start this with a Disclaimer
    Code:
     * Your warranty is... well, who knows?!
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, etc!
     * Do some research if you have any concerns!
    [COLOR="Red"] * Following this guide will wipe all your data. Take backup before proceed! [/COLOR]
    Note: Redmi Note 4 can be unlocked ONLY with China Developer firmware.
    That's why to unlock the bootloader, first you need to flash China Developer ROM.
    Then unlock bootloader, and then install any desired ROM.

Prerequisite:

1. Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (MTK) phone (Codename: nikel). Both version supported: 2GB / 3GB RAM.
    2. Unlock approval from MIUI -> Obtain it from here
    3. Mi Unlock app -> Download from here
    4. Drivers & SP Flash Tool -> Download from here
    5. Latest Redmi Note 4 China Developer Version Fastboot -> Download form here (TGZ file). Note: for unbrick, you may chose Global ROM as well.
    6. Custom CUST.BIN file -> Download from here

Steps to Unlock Bootloader:

1. Install drivers. Drivers are found in folder MTK_Driver_Installer_.1352 ext. To install, run DriverInstaller.exe as Administrator.
    Edit: Some users reported that they cannot install drivers on Windows 10. If this is the case, you need to disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows by running the following command in CMD (Run as administrator) and then restart PC:
    Code:
    bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    2. Extract ROM files (from TGZ file) in a new folder.
    3. After extract, go to \images and replace CUST.IMG with custom one. This is very important!
    4. Run flash_tool.exe as Administrator.
    5. After program starts, click on Download Agent and select file MTK_All_In_One_DA.BIN. The file is located in SP Flash tool folder.
    6. Next, click on Scatter-loading button file select MT6797_Android_scatter.txt . The file is located in ROM \images folder.
    7. The phone partition will show-up. Uncheck preloader, and select all others partitions.
    sp_flash.jpg

8. Turn off the phone. Click Download button. Don't connect yet the phone to computer.
    9. On the phone, hold the Volume Down (-) button and then connect the USB cable. Hold the Volume Down (-) pressed untill it is detected by the SP Flash Tool and the flashing process begins (see yellow progress bar).
    flashing.jpg

10. Wait for process to complete (about 3-5 minutes). A Download Ok message will appear.
    11. Remove the USB cable and hold Power button until phone vibrates. Now wait to finish the first boot (may take up to 10minutes).
    12. Congrats, now you have a China Developer firmware. After boot, select English and follow the first setup steps. Don't skip steps! Login to MI account.
    13. Go to Setting -> About phone -> And tap on MIUI version for 10 times. This will enable Developer options.
    14. Go to Setting -> Additional settings -> Developer options -> OEM Unlocking and allow unlocking. This will pair your MI account with your MI phone, in order to unlock. Also turn on USB debugging.
    settings_x.jpg

15. Go to i.mi.com and login. Then tap on Find device. Wait a minute to find your device (will appear: Online, Located).
    16. Start MI Unlock app and follow the steps. To put your phone in Fastboot mode: turn off the phone -> press Volume Down + Power and keep it until Fastboot Mode screen appears.
    17. Congrats, now you have unlocked bootloader on Redmi Note 4.

How to Check Bootloader Status:
    Use this command from Fastboot Mode:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar unlocked
    The command will return an [yes/no] response, meaning:
    "yes" -> Unlocked bootloader
    "no" -> Locked bootloader

Steps to install TWRP recovery:
    1. Download TWRP recovery image from here
    2. Run in ADB console:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery cofface_twrp_nikel_recovery1124.img
    fastboot boot cofface_twrp_nikel_recovery1124.img

Steps to Unbrick:

Are basically the same as unlocking... only that you can use Global ROM or China Stable ROM to flash, but the procedure is exactly the same.

Don't connect the phone yet!
    1. Install drivers. Drivers are found in folder MTK_Driver_Installer_.1352 ext. To install, run DriverInstaller.exe as Administrator.
    2. Extract ROM files (from TGZ file) in a new folder.
    3. After extract, go to \images and replace CUST.IMG with custom one. This is very important!
    4. Run flash_tool.exe as Administrator.
    5. After program starts, click on Download Agent and select file MTK_All_In_One_DA.BIN. The file is located in SP Flash Tool folder.
    6. Next, click on Scatter-loading button file select MT6797_Android_scatter.txt . The file is located in ROM \images folder.
    7. The phone partition will show-up. Uncheck preloader, and select all others partitions.
    8. Turn off the phone. Click Download button. Don't connect yet the phone to computer.
    9. On the phone, hold the Volume Down (-) button and then connect the USB cable. Hold the Volume Down (-) pressed untill it is detected by the SP Flash Tool and the flashing process begins (see yellow progress bar).
    10. Wait for process to complete (about 3-5 minutes). A Download Ok message will appear.
    11. Remove the USB cable and hold Power button until phone vibrates. Now wait to finish the first boot (may take up to 10minutes).
    12. Congrats, with some luck, now you have unbricked your phone.

All credits goes to and @masterross and @mitch002 for makeing this possible.
    Special thanks to @cofface for his Recovery
    :good:

D
    Deleted member 5451494
    Just now unlocked my bootloader.
    Device - Redmi Note 4, 4GB/64GB SnapDragon
    Code name - Mido
    ROM - Global Stable (latest) which was shipped with my device

Day 0 = applied for unlock permission following fully entering proper details into my Mi profile. Obtained permission within 12 hours.

Day 1 = tried unlocking normally with MiFlash tool v2.3 but to no avail (stuck at 99%, giving the error "current account not bound to device)

Day 2 = used the FlyVPN method, didn't work. Same error.

Day 3 = read forums about using an older MiFlash tool. So downloaded the v1.1. Tried again - stuck at 50% this time giving "couldn't verify device, using latest flash tool". Installed drivers multiple times on two different PC running Win10 as well as Win7, but couldn't cross the 50% error this time.

Day 4 = frustrated with Xiaomi. Ended up creating a new account with new email/ph no. Tried everything from beginning, didn't work. Even tried using the SPFlash tool to flash nikel Chinese developer rom, but my device wasn't recognized by the tool. Later found out that it only works on MTK devices and not SnapDragon ones.

Day 5 = removed my new account from the phone and added my old account. Logged on to MIUI cloud and tried "locate device". My device was successfully located. Waited for a couple of min. Went into developer options on my phone and added my account to the device in MiUnlockStatus, tapped on OEM unlock toggle and rebooted into fastboot from there. Used the latest MiFlash tool (v2.3) and viola!! Bootloader successfully unlocked.

Note (1)- As a wise person above me mentioned earlier, following your account acceptance for unlocking, time is the only factor that prevents you from unlocking your bootloader. As he suggested, maybe it really takes time for your Mi account to be added on to the Xiaomi Chinese servers or this 5-day gap is to prevent illegal flashing of stolen devices.

Note (2)- on many of the forums, it was suggested that you don't try unlocking your device for at least 5 days following account acceptance or your day count would be reset to 0 or something. This isn't true. As you can see from my post that I had tried unlocking my phone at least 4-5 times/day, every day till it got unlocked eventually.
    The OEM unlock toggle is a piece of crap. Following you toggling it on, it returns back to being off if you just move one screen away from it.
    I was not able to toggle on the "install via USB" or the "simulate permissions via USB" at all. I received the error - this device is temporarily restricted.
    On both accounts that I tried, I had it fully (all options ticked) synced with the MiCloud. I did not add any Google account.
    Hi, in regards of the Mi unlock request, actually the biggest issue is the language. I'm Chinese. There is nothing wrong with the unlock guide though. Thank you everyone for the sharing. But I just would like to clarify a little, actually we do not need to wait for the sms for the approval confirmation. We can check back in the web, just log in with our Mi account, click on the unlock button, if the approval is granted, it will be written there in Chinese. :eek: I'm writing this because I just would like let everyone know, I've bought 2 Note 4, so, I created 2 Mi accounts (I didn't know actually we just need one account to unlock any Mi phones!) with 2 different mobile numbers. I've not been receiving a single sms about my approval status. However, in the unlock web, when I click on the unlock button, I will be shown in the unlock app download page and it is mentioned there my approval has been granted! :eek::eek:
    Then the only thing u have to do is wait. Wait for some days. I made it after 12 days
    I taken unlock permission on 10th June and unlocked successfully yesterday
    I was keep trying almost every day and got success yesterday.

Please HELP!!! Bootloader stuck @ 50%

No No just kidding ;) good write-up, if you stick to this guide you won't be crying in your pillow : )