[GUIDE][RemixOS 3.x] Using Jide's REMOUNT_RW=1 method to achieve R/W & true root

Search This thread

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Using Jide's REMOUNT_RW=1 method to achieve R/W & true root
Both of these methods assume you have used Jide's latest Official Installer for either 32bit or x64 RemixOS 3.x install. This process will extract the system.sfs file, taking up an additional 2.6 gb (something around there), so make sure you have plenty of space for this.
NOTE: For OTA updates, please see the OTA Updates section below.

For RemixOS legacy boot installs (32 & 64 bit) using MBR from Jide's Installer (NON-UEFI)

You will want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, travel to C:\RemixOS (or where yo installed it) and using Notepad++ or your code editor of choice, find and open the menu.lst file. Then add a second entry containing the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below:
Code:
default 0
timeout 10

title Resident mode - All your data and apps are saved
find --set-root /RemixOS/kernel
kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
initrd /RemixOS/initrd.img
boot

title Resident mode - RW enabled
kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
boot
Once you are done, you can reboot, and choose the entry you added. It will then extract the system.sfs file to a system_dev.img, and mount it as RW for you. Once booted, you can update SuperSU from Play store and enjoy a properly rooted RemixOS

For RemixOS UEFI/ESP installs (32 & 64 bit)

Part 1 You will also want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, hit the start menu, and type in CMD, and then right click, and open as administrator. It should look like the window image attached to this post.
Once that is open, type in:
Code:
mountvol X: /S
Then check to see if it is mounted already, (thanks to: @Ventricle)
  • Start Task Manager; a) CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager b) CTRL+Shift+ESC c) Right click the taskbar and select Task manager.
  • Click "File" tab -> "Run new task" -> "Browse" -> "This computer" -> SYSTEM (X:) or type in "x:" in the filepath bar"
If you cannot access X:, then that could mean one of three things. 1) You have an ESP setup, and just need to scroll down to the ESP System Partition setups section, or 2) You have a legacy MBR setup and just don't know it. or 3) Your setup falls within the other category. Check below for some insight, or the second post for more links to help you figure things out.

ESP System Partition setups
I just learned that Windows 10 has EFI partition sometimes already mounted under Z: letter, but it's hidden.

A very quick and easy way to access ESP (EFI System Partition) in Windows 10: (no command line use needed!)
  • Start Task Manager; a) CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager b) CTRL+Shift+ESC c) Right click the taskbar and select Task manager.
  • Click "File" tab -> "Run new task" -> "Browse" -> "This computer" -> SYSTEM (Z:) or type in "z:" in the filepath bar"
  • Now go to boot/grub/grub.cfg and edit it accordingly with Notepad++ or other editor
  • Save the file and your're ready to go

If this still doesn't work - try this:

I didn't have any problems with mounting the system (efi) partition in windows, but I've been doing this many times before and using a bit different way:
  1. Run CMD.exe as Admin <- IMPORTANT and enter following commands:
  2. Code:
    taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    This will kill explorer.exe process - don't be surprised :D It's needed, because by default it's ran by "currently logged in user" and it has to be run as Administrator in order to view the mounted system drive. Administrator account is not the same as an account with administrative privileges.
  3. Code:
    mountvol X: /s
    This will mount the system partition that usually consists of uefi related files. X: is the letter of the drive - you can use whatever letter you want, but it has to be free.
  4. Write:
    Code:
    explorer
    This will run explorer as Administrator and will allow you to browse the mounted system partition.

The above may not work for all devices, as some handle UEFI differently.

Part 2 Now that we have the partition mounter, we can open Notepad++ or your favorite code editor as administrator (the same was as before, right click and open as administrator), and browse to X:\BOOT\grub\ and open grub.cfg (Explorer.exe will not show the mounted partition, so we use Notepad++ as an Admin to do this). Then add a second boot entry containing the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below: (mine might vary from yours a tiny bit)
Code:
menuentry 'Remix OS_x64' --class android {
	search --file --no-floppy --set=root /RemixOS/kernel
	linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 DATA= SRC=RemixOS CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
}

menuentry 'Remix OS_x64- RW' --class android {
	linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= SRC=RemixOS CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
}
Save it and also do this for grub32.cfg & grub64.cfg if they are in that directory as well.
Now close Notepad++, then go back to the admin CMD prompt and type
Code:
mountvol X: /D
or if you used Z:
Code:
mountvol Z: /D
This will dismount the UEFI volume for safe reboot.
You can now reboot, and choose the entry you added. It will then extract the system.sfs file to a system_dev.img, and mount it as RW for you. Once booted, you can update SuperSU from Play store and enjoy a properly rooted RemixOS.

RemixOS OTA/Update Instructions:

So you got an OTA notification, or you downloaded the updated .zip from Jide's website. Now what? Well there are a few things we will have to do in preparation for the update. So I will provide a seperate set of instructions for each possible scenario.

While using RW enabled RemixOS
If you got a notification that the OTA was available while using the RW enabled entry, then we are going to have to make some sacrifices to let this go through successfully. First thing we are going to have to do is reboot back to Windows (or your standard OS), and find your RemixOS directory (usually C:/RemixOS/) and look for the system_dev.img file and delete it (yes, I am serious, just hit the delete button). This will of course cause a few of your ROOT apps and tweaks that were written to system to vanish, so after we are done, you will have to reapply/reinstall those.
Now we can reboot and make sure you choose the NON-RW boot entry for RemixOS. Once in RemixOS, go ahead and check for and apply the OTA update as normal. Once the update is complete, you can re-create the RW image by simply choosing the RW enabled boot entry.

Using the .zip from Jide's website
If you ended up grabbing the .zip file for the updated version of RemixOS, then we can upgrade manually with no issues usually, but you will have to do this from Windows (or your OS of choice).
Start by opening the .zip and extracting these files over the ones already in the RemixOS folder:
  • initrd.img
  • ramdisk.img
  • kernel
  • system.sfs
I also replace the install.img and isolinux.sys files, but I don't think they are needed. I'm just lazy and drag it all over from the .zip ;)
The next step is that same as the OTA update. You now have to delete your system_dev.img file. Once that is done, you can reboot and choose the RW enabled boot option to extract the system and enable RW.

Ubuntu based Instructions:
And for users who are running this on Ubuntu based systems, please follow @Cyborg Ninja's instructions below:
Hi guys, for those who use Ubuntu and want the RW feature, open Grub customizer, if you do not have:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Then, highlight your RemixOS and click on the little pencil to edit.

remix.png

Then insert REMOUNT_RW=1 here after the "CMDLINE" and it will look something like this:

Code:
insmod part_gpt
search --file --no-floppy --set=root /RemixOS/system.sfs
linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive CMDLINE REMOUNT_RW=1

Save, reboot and boot up your RemixOS and it will do the rest, have to wait a couple minutes and you are all set. This will even let you remove the preinstalled superuser it came with and install Chainfire's SuperSU in its place.

Using EasyBCD or other methods
If you have installed RemixOS using EasyBCD with the .iso or similar method, you will need to remove your install, and then reinstall with a modified ISO.
Extract the .iso file to a folder on your computer, and inside that folder, you will see a few folders and then the .img files and such. To start, navigate to efi/RemixOS/ and add the second RW entry to the grub.cfg, grub32.cfg & grub64.cfg like the UEFI instructions from above, but no need to mount the UEFI partition here.
Once those are done, navigate back to the root of the extracted ISO, and then go to boot/grub/ and add your second entry to the grub.cfg in there too, use the Resident Mode entry from that though as your base, just adding the REMOUNT_RW=1 line to a copy of it. Save, exit, and go back to the root of the extracted ISO again.
Now enter the isolinux directory, and edit the isolinux.cfg file, adding the REMOUNT_RW=1 line to a copy of the "residentmode" entry. Save, exit,back to root of the extracted ISO again.

Now select all the files and folders, and using 7zip or comparable application, zip them all back into an .iso file. Then you just have to install this like you would normally using EasyBCD. Just a reminder though. This method is not recommended. I recommend using Jides installer or the roll your own UEFI method. Also, since I have no way of testing this method, I cannot verify it will work 100%. Awaiting user feedback on this :)

I hope this helps some of you get what you need with root. I personally create a separate root entry in my grub.cfg that let's me select standard or R/W, so in the event of an OTA update, it should be able to complete without issues.

Again, Thanks goes out to Jide, @Ventricle, @lollyjay, & @Cyborg Ninja for all the help so far on this :)

Attachments

• adnim_cmd.PNG
    adnim_cmd.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,734
Last edited:

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
HELPFUL TOOLS & GUIDES

This section will be updated from time to time to include tools and links to things i may find helpful in this case.

Custom Android x86 - Grub theme
Here is a link to to my custom UEFI grub I use on my Surface Pro 3. The theme was adapted from a Surface grub theme I found online. I will say thanks here for whomever did that.
This can also serve as a guide to multibooting on UEFI based machines. Feel free to share it, just give me credit if you do ;)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hjuvxuncgYNmxWcHVSVXNVb2M
IMG_20160818_103047.jpg

[GUIDE] Installing android x86 without CD or USB
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2414362

[WinApp][v2.4-Beta][+RemixOS] Android-x86 Installer UEFI Version
http://xdaforums.com/android/software/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3222483

[GUIDE] [ALTERNATIVE] Dual boot RemixOS (beta) alongside Windows
http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/dual-boot-remixos-windows-usb-drive-t3324359

How to install Remix OS alongside Ubuntu (Dual Boot)
http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/how-to-install-remix-os-alongside-t3352890

How to Install Remix OS to HDD using Grub2 for Windows [Noob Friendly Tutorial]
http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/how-to-install-remix-os-to-hdd-using-t3300120

Attachments

• IMG_20160818_103047.jpg
    IMG_20160818_103047.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

kretex

Mar 12, 2012
REMOUT_RW=1 will extract system.sfs to .img its 2gb more, is it save to delete the system.sfs after .img created??

Vioner

May 30, 2012
Thank you @electrikjesus for this method. It's definitely the best out there as it doesn't hinder OTA updates and requires nothing but <3GB of additional storage and small change in grub.cfg file.
Other methods require changing initrd.img with system r/w properties and even if someone would want OTA, he'd have to keep a copy of system.img/.sfs file for swapping.

Best method for now.

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Thank you @electrikjesus for this method. It's definitely the best out there as it doesn't hinder OTA updates and requires nothing but <3GB of additional storage and small change in grub.cfg file.
Other methods require changing initrd.img with system r/w properties and even if someone would want OTA, he'd have to keep a copy of system.img/.sfs file for swapping.

Best method for now.
Works like a charm for legacy. I highly recommend this and it's far simpler than mine.
Thanks
Was not able to follow the UEFI though. mountvol X: /S returned "The parameter is incorrect." That's because you only need to do that with UEFI. If you change your instructions to say that first method is for ANY legacy BIOS installation (both 32 and 64)

---------- Post added 13th August 2016 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 12th August 2016 at 11:45 PM ----------

Suggested changes to clarify the OP:

For all RemixOS legacy installs:

You will want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, travel to C:\RemixOS (where the installer should have installed it) and using Notepad++ or your code editor of choice, find and open the menu.lst file. Then add the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below:

For RemixOS x64 UEFI installs only:

You will also want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, hit the start menu, and type in CMD, and then right click, and open as administrator. It should look like the window below:

Last edited:

Vioner

May 30, 2012
Mounting EFI/System partition

@lollyjay Remix OS can be installed on 32bit UEFI as well - I successfully installed it on my Asus T100TA using the official tool and to my surprise... it works. For releases 2.0X I used Android-x86 installer, but now even official version works.

Anyway, I didn't have any problems with mounting the system (efi) partition in windows, but I've been doing this many times before and using a bit different way:
  2. Code:
    This will kill explorer.exe process - don't be surprised :D It's needed, because by default it's ran by "currently logged in user" and it has to be run as Administrator in order to view the mounted system drive. Administrator account is not the same as an account with administrative privileges.
  3. Code:
    This will mount the system partition that usually consists of uefi related files. X: is the letter of the drive - you can use whatever letter you want, but it has to be free.
  4. Write:
    Code:
    explorer
    This will run explorer as Administrator and will allow you to browse the mounted system partition.

Reactions: pierro78

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
@lollyjay Remix OS can be installed on 32bit UEFI as well - I successfully installed it on my Asus T100TA using the official tool and to my surprise... it works. For releases 2.0X I used Android-x86 installer, but now even official version works.

Anyway, I didn't have any problems with mounting the system (efi) partition in windows, but I've been doing this many times before and using a bit different way:
Run CMD.exe as Admin <- IMPORTANT and enter following commands:

Write:

Yeah def doesn't work for my Dell.

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Works like a charm for legacy. I highly recommend this and it's far simpler than mine.
Thanks
Was not able to follow the UEFI though. mountvol X: /S returned "The parameter is incorrect." That's because you only need to do that with UEFI. If you change your instructions to say that first method is for ANY legacy BIOS installation (both 32 and 64)

---------- Post added 13th August 2016 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 12th August 2016 at 11:45 PM ----------

You will want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, travel to C:\RemixOS (where the installer should have installed it) and using Notepad++ or your code editor of choice, find and open the menu.lst file. Then add the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below:

You will also want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, hit the start menu, and type in CMD, and then right click, and open as administrator. It should look like the window below:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will update the OP to better clarify.

Write:

I will also update the OP to include your suggestions about explorer as well :)

Thanks to both of you!

Reactions: Vioner and lollyjay

Cyborg Ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Ubuntu 14.04+

Hi guys, for those who use Ubuntu and want the RW feature, open Grub customizer, if you do not have:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

remix.png

Then insert REMOUNT_RW=1 here after the "CMDLINE" and it will look something like this:

Code:
insmod part_gpt
linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive CMDLINE REMOUNT_RW=1

Save, reboot and boot up your RemixOS and it will do the rest, have to wait a couple minutes and you are all set. This will even let you remove the preinstalled superuser it came with and install Chainfire's SuperSU in its place.

GameOver69

Jul 26, 2010
USB Boot

How would i be able to apply this to RemixOS running off a USB stick/drive?

Thanks

Last edited:

Vioner

May 30, 2012
Accessing EFI / ESP / System partition on Windows 10

Yeah def doesn't work for my Dell.

Is your Dell using Windows 10?

I just learned that Windows 10 has EFI partition sometimes already mounted under Z: letter, but it's hidden.

A very quick and easy way to access ESP (EFI System Partition) in Windows 10: (no command line use needed!)
  • Click "File" tab -> "Run new task" -> "Browse" -> "This computer" -> SYSTEM (Z:) or type in "z:" in the filepath bar"
  • Now go to boot/grub/grub.cfg and edit it accordingly with Notepad++ or other editor

2. Code:
  3. Code:
  4. Write:
    Code:
    explorer

@lollyjay and others, let me know if it works for you - Windows 10 Home here.

@electrikjesus c'mon update the OP with our input! :D :)

Last edited:

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Is your Dell using Windows 10?

I just learned that Windows 10 has EFI partition always mounted under Z: letter, but it's hidden.

Start Task Manager; a) CTRL+ALT+DEL -> Task Manager b) CTRL+Shift+ESC c) Right click the taskbar and select Task manager.
Click "File" tab -> "Run new task" -> "Browse" -> "This computer" -> SYSTEM (Z:) or type in "z:" in the filepath bar"
Now go to boot/grub/grub.cfg and edit it accordingly with Notepad++ or other editor
Save the file and your're ready to go

@lollyjay and others, let me know if it works for you - Windows 10 Home here.

@electrikjesus c'mon update the OP with our input! :D :)
Yep that's exactly what I needed to do. Thanks

Sent from my on Z00A using XDA Labs

lollyjay

Jul 26, 2012
Fresno
Hey I think I found a method that will work for all Windows 10 UEFI installations. I have tried it on three different laptops, with the only thing same is UEFI and Windows 10:
1 Right click on the Window at left end of the taskbar
2 Select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
3 At the command prompt (assuming you don't have a z drive), type: mountvol z: /s
4 At the command prompt, type: notepad.exe
5 When Notepad window opens, select File/Open
6 In lower right of the notepad open window, set to "All Files (*.*)
7 Navigate on the left column to the z drive and click on it
8 Select boot and then grub then open grub.cfg
9 Navigate to the space between " logo.showlogo=1 DATA= "
10 Add: REMOUNT_RW=1 so it is " logo.showlogo=1 REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= "
11 Select File/Save to save your modified grub.cfg
12 Select File/Exit
13 At the command prompt, type: mountvol z: /d
14 Close the command window
15 Reboot to RemixOS - you should see it writing the new system image file
Hope this helps some who are not experts

Last edited:
Reactions: Vioner

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey I think I found a method that will work for all Windows 10 UEFI installations. I have tried it on three different laptops, with the only thing same is UEFI and Windows 10:
1 Right click on the Window at left end of the taskbar
2 Select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
3 At the command prompt (assuming you don't have a z drive), type: mountvol z: /s
4 At the command prompt, type: notepad.exe
5 When Notepad window opens, select File/Open
6 In lower right of the notepad open window, set to "All Files (*.*)
7 Navigate on the left column to the z drive and click on it
8 Select boot and then grub then open grub.cfg
9 Navigate to the space between " logo.showlogo=1 DATA= "
10 Add: REMOUNT_RW=1 so it is " logo.showlogo=1 REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= "
11 Select File/Save to save your modified grub.cfg
12 Select File/Exit
13 At the command prompt, type: mountvol z: /s
14 Close the command window
15 Reboot to RemixOS - you should see it writing the new system image file
Hope this helps some who are not experts

Yeah, I guess any notepad app will do. I didn't even think about using the built one app cause I'm so used to my fancy notepad :)

Reactions: Vioner

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using Jide's REMOUNT_RW=1 method to achieve R/W & true root
    Both of these methods assume you have used Jide's latest Official Installer for either 32bit or x64 RemixOS 3.x install. This process will extract the system.sfs file, taking up an additional 2.6 gb (something around there), so make sure you have plenty of space for this.
    NOTE: For OTA updates, please see the OTA Updates section below.

For RemixOS legacy boot installs (32 & 64 bit) using MBR from Jide's Installer (NON-UEFI)

You will want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, travel to C:\RemixOS (or where yo installed it) and using Notepad++ or your code editor of choice, find and open the menu.lst file. Then add a second entry containing the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below:
    Code:
    default 0
    timeout 10

title Resident mode - All your data and apps are saved
    kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    boot

title Resident mode - RW enabled
    kernel /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 SRC=RemixOS/ REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    boot
    Once you are done, you can reboot, and choose the entry you added. It will then extract the system.sfs file to a system_dev.img, and mount it as RW for you. Once booted, you can update SuperSU from Play store and enjoy a properly rooted RemixOS

For RemixOS UEFI/ESP installs (32 & 64 bit)

Part 1 You will also want to make sure you can view hidden and system files in Explorer options (if you need to , google it), Once you do that, hit the start menu, and type in CMD, and then right click, and open as administrator. It should look like the window image attached to this post.
    Once that is open, type in:
    Code:
    mountvol X: /S
    Then check to see if it is mounted already, (thanks to: @Ventricle)
    • Click "File" tab -> "Run new task" -> "Browse" -> "This computer" -> SYSTEM (X:) or type in "x:" in the filepath bar"
    If you cannot access X:, then that could mean one of three things. 1) You have an ESP setup, and just need to scroll down to the ESP System Partition setups section, or 2) You have a legacy MBR setup and just don't know it. or 3) Your setup falls within the other category. Check below for some insight, or the second post for more links to help you figure things out.

ESP System Partition setups

I didn't have any problems with mounting the system (efi) partition in windows, but I've been doing this many times before and using a bit different way:
    2. Code:
    3. Code:
    4. Write:
      Code:
      explorer

Part 2 Now that we have the partition mounter, we can open Notepad++ or your favorite code editor as administrator (the same was as before, right click and open as administrator), and browse to X:\BOOT\grub\ and open grub.cfg (Explorer.exe will not show the mounted partition, so we use Notepad++ as an Admin to do this). Then add a second boot entry containing the REMOUNT_RW=1 entry like you see below: (mine might vary from yours a tiny bit)
    Code:
    menuentry 'Remix OS_x64' --class android {
    	linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 DATA= SRC=RemixOS CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    }

menuentry 'Remix OS_x64- RW' --class android {
    	linux /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=remix_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive quiet SERIAL=random logo.showlogo=1 REMOUNT_RW=1 DATA= SRC=RemixOS CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    }
    Save it and also do this for grub32.cfg & grub64.cfg if they are in that directory as well.
    Now close Notepad++, then go back to the admin CMD prompt and type
    Code:
    mountvol X: /D
    or if you used Z:
    Code:
    mountvol Z: /D
    This will dismount the UEFI volume for safe reboot.
    You can now reboot, and choose the entry you added. It will then extract the system.sfs file to a system_dev.img, and mount it as RW for you. Once booted, you can update SuperSU from Play store and enjoy a properly rooted RemixOS.

RemixOS OTA/Update Instructions:

So you got an OTA notification, or you downloaded the updated .zip from Jide's website. Now what? Well there are a few things we will have to do in preparation for the update. So I will provide a seperate set of instructions for each possible scenario.

While using RW enabled RemixOS
    If you got a notification that the OTA was available while using the RW enabled entry, then we are going to have to make some sacrifices to let this go through successfully. First thing we are going to have to do is reboot back to Windows (or your standard OS), and find your RemixOS directory (usually C:/RemixOS/) and look for the system_dev.img file and delete it (yes, I am serious, just hit the delete button). This will of course cause a few of your ROOT apps and tweaks that were written to system to vanish, so after we are done, you will have to reapply/reinstall those.
    Now we can reboot and make sure you choose the NON-RW boot entry for RemixOS. Once in RemixOS, go ahead and check for and apply the OTA update as normal. Once the update is complete, you can re-create the RW image by simply choosing the RW enabled boot entry.

Using the .zip from Jide's website
    If you ended up grabbing the .zip file for the updated version of RemixOS, then we can upgrade manually with no issues usually, but you will have to do this from Windows (or your OS of choice).
    Start by opening the .zip and extracting these files over the ones already in the RemixOS folder:
    • initrd.img
    • ramdisk.img
    • kernel
    • system.sfs
    I also replace the install.img and isolinux.sys files, but I don't think they are needed. I'm just lazy and drag it all over from the .zip ;)
    The next step is that same as the OTA update. You now have to delete your system_dev.img file. Once that is done, you can reboot and choose the RW enabled boot option to extract the system and enable RW.

Ubuntu based Instructions:
    And for users who are running this on Ubuntu based systems, please follow @Cyborg Ninja's instructions below:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update

remix.png

Code:
    insmod part_gpt

Using EasyBCD or other methods
    If you have installed RemixOS using EasyBCD with the .iso or similar method, you will need to remove your install, and then reinstall with a modified ISO.
    Extract the .iso file to a folder on your computer, and inside that folder, you will see a few folders and then the .img files and such. To start, navigate to efi/RemixOS/ and add the second RW entry to the grub.cfg, grub32.cfg & grub64.cfg like the UEFI instructions from above, but no need to mount the UEFI partition here.
    Once those are done, navigate back to the root of the extracted ISO, and then go to boot/grub/ and add your second entry to the grub.cfg in there too, use the Resident Mode entry from that though as your base, just adding the REMOUNT_RW=1 line to a copy of it. Save, exit, and go back to the root of the extracted ISO again.
    Now enter the isolinux directory, and edit the isolinux.cfg file, adding the REMOUNT_RW=1 line to a copy of the "residentmode" entry. Save, exit,back to root of the extracted ISO again.

Now select all the files and folders, and using 7zip or comparable application, zip them all back into an .iso file. Then you just have to install this like you would normally using EasyBCD. Just a reminder though. This method is not recommended. I recommend using Jides installer or the roll your own UEFI method. Also, since I have no way of testing this method, I cannot verify it will work 100%. Awaiting user feedback on this :)

I hope this helps some of you get what you need with root. I personally create a separate root entry in my grub.cfg that let's me select standard or R/W, so in the event of an OTA update, it should be able to complete without issues.

Again, Thanks goes out to Jide, @Ventricle, @lollyjay, & @Cyborg Ninja for all the help so far on this :)
    HELPFUL TOOLS & GUIDES

This section will be updated from time to time to include tools and links to things i may find helpful in this case.

Custom Android x86 - Grub theme
    Here is a link to to my custom UEFI grub I use on my Surface Pro 3. The theme was adapted from a Surface grub theme I found online. I will say thanks here for whomever did that.
    This can also serve as a guide to multibooting on UEFI based machines. Feel free to share it, just give me credit if you do ;)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hjuvxuncgYNmxWcHVSVXNVb2M
    IMG_20160818_103047.jpg

[GUIDE] Installing android x86 without CD or USB
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2414362

[WinApp][v2.4-Beta][+RemixOS] Android-x86 Installer UEFI Version
    http://xdaforums.com/android/software/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3222483

[GUIDE] [ALTERNATIVE] Dual boot RemixOS (beta) alongside Windows
    http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/dual-boot-remixos-windows-usb-drive-t3324359

How to install Remix OS alongside Ubuntu (Dual Boot)
    http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/how-to-install-remix-os-alongside-t3352890

How to Install Remix OS to HDD using Grub2 for Windows [Noob Friendly Tutorial]
    http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-os/how-to-install-remix-os-to-hdd-using-t3300120

Hello everyone. Since this is my own thread, I have decided it's not hijacking to use it to help announce an ongoing project we at Bliss Roms have started. May I present to you, Bliss-x86 https://xdaforums.com/android/software/x86-bliss-x86-pc-s-t3534657/post70462761#post70462761
    OK. I'm not going to quote you all for this, but I will address each and every one of your questions the best I can with as few answers as possible... Here we go:
    1) I will be updating the OP with a revised "easy" (better defining the MBR based method and options) and "advanced" (for us multi-OS users) set of instructions. And on top of that, I will also include a guide for handling OTA with this method.
    2) I might also add a "helpful tools & guides" section for the less advanced that want to learn more ;)

That should just about cover it. I'll work on the OTA section tonight, cause I see that many are confused as to what to do :) LOL
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I will update the OP to better clarify.

Write:

I will also update the OP to include your suggestions about explorer as well :)

Thanks to both of you!