• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] Remove/change gradient on navbar and statusbar- Change navbar icons [ROOT]

Search This thread

Smokehrbar88

Jan 20, 2014
A very simple guide on removing the disgusting shadow effect on the homescreen, plus changing the icons in the navbar.

EDIT: Useless guide. Every change can be made using themes. Coming from a N5 confuses me too much. Thanks @vobiscum

Since usually we would make this changes in xposed, and since xposed is not aviable (for now, I hope), we need to change some png images in the SystemUi.apk container located in #/system/priv-app/systemui folder.
This is just one way to achieve our goal, I made it supereasy for beginners.

Attention: don't extract and compress again any system apks with 7zip or similar programs: it will result in a bootloop. Just replace the needed images directly in the container. If you need to do something else, google APK-Tool.

1)Get a root explorer from googleplay. I'm using FX File Manager (it needs a plugin for root privileges);

2)Go to #/system/priv-app/systemui folder and copy systemui.apk;

3)Paste it in a pc-redeable partition or in the external sd;

4)Get the file and extract it with 7zip or winrar. Don't delete the systemui.apk imported.

5)Navigate in the excracted folder and get the files you want.

---Gradients are located in res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4, their names are: nav_background.9.png and status_background.9.png.

---Navbar Icons are located in res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4 and drawable-ldrtl-xxhdpi-v4.

6)Open the files with Photoshop or Gimp and edit them on your taste. Want a ghost navbar? Do it.

7) Drag and drop the modified files in the Systemui.apk according to their original locations;

8)Put the modified file on your sd/phone;

9)IMPORTANT: DO A BACKUP VIA TWRP

10)Copy-paste via root-explorer the SystemUi.apk back in place. It may be requested to remount the folder in r/w.

11) DONE! If you get some lag/problems, just reboot. If it bootloops, go for twrp.

Last edited:
Reactions: sminki

Smokehrbar88

Jan 20, 2014
i guess this is to do with the odexed apk's..?

I think that is to do with zipaligning, but don't ask me further, I'm pretty noob about this. I know that many apks works well even after they are recompiled as a zip; but some resources need a particular procedure. This way avoids any problem due to recompiling.
For editing xml, I generally use APKtool and replace the original META-INF folder and AndroidManifest.xml, this is the proper way to recompile it (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2203166).

Reactions: sminki

vobiscum

Jun 27, 2014
I think that is to do with zipaligning, but don't ask me further, I'm pretty noob about this. I know that many apks works well even after they are recompiled as a zip; but some resources need a particular procedure. This way avoids any problem due to recompiling.
For editing xml, I generally use APKtool and replace the original META-INF folder and AndroidManifest.xml, this is the proper way to recompile it (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2203166).
Man made a theme is too easy no need root

https://plus.google.com/+MassimoBotta/posts/27CAAv91Lth

Reactions: Smokehrbar88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A very simple guide on removing the disgusting shadow effect on the homescreen, plus changing the icons in the navbar.

EDIT: Useless guide. Every change can be made using themes. Coming from a N5 confuses me too much. Thanks @vobiscum

Since usually we would make this changes in xposed, and since xposed is not aviable (for now, I hope), we need to change some png images in the SystemUi.apk container located in #/system/priv-app/systemui folder.
    This is just one way to achieve our goal, I made it supereasy for beginners.

Attention: don't extract and compress again any system apks with 7zip or similar programs: it will result in a bootloop. Just replace the needed images directly in the container. If you need to do something else, google APK-Tool.

1)Get a root explorer from googleplay. I'm using FX File Manager (it needs a plugin for root privileges);

2)Go to #/system/priv-app/systemui folder and copy systemui.apk;

3)Paste it in a pc-redeable partition or in the external sd;

4)Get the file and extract it with 7zip or winrar. Don't delete the systemui.apk imported.

5)Navigate in the excracted folder and get the files you want.

---Gradients are located in res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4, their names are: nav_background.9.png and status_background.9.png.

---Navbar Icons are located in res/drawable-xxhdpi-v4 and drawable-ldrtl-xxhdpi-v4.

6)Open the files with Photoshop or Gimp and edit them on your taste. Want a ghost navbar? Do it.

7) Drag and drop the modified files in the Systemui.apk according to their original locations;

8)Put the modified file on your sd/phone;

9)IMPORTANT: DO A BACKUP VIA TWRP

10)Copy-paste via root-explorer the SystemUi.apk back in place. It may be requested to remount the folder in r/w.

11) DONE! If you get some lag/problems, just reboot. If it bootloops, go for twrp.
    i guess this is to do with the odexed apk's..?

Man made a theme is too easy no need root

https://plus.google.com/+MassimoBotta/posts/27CAAv91Lth

So you can change navbar icons with a theme? Well, damn me. Damn Haweii. How about other pngs in SystemUi.apk (for example the gradient?)