• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Remove permanent root

Search This thread

marc91988

Apr 29, 2010
** I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR STUPIDITY**

This guide will follow the steps needed to remove permanent root and bring your device back to 100% stock

Here are the following files we will need to download please grab the files needed below and place them on the root of your sdcard

1-a) Stock PRE-OTA Rom rooted:
Stock PRE-OTA Rom

or

1-b) Download the attached HexEditor on the thread

2.) Stock Factory Bootloader / Recovery / ROM / Kernel:
Stock Factory Bootloader / Recovery / ROM / Kernel
(rename this to PC10IMG.ZIP)

3.) T-Mobile OTA Update - Build # 1.22.531.8:
T-Mobile OTA Update
(rename this to update.zip)

Procedure:
Step 1.) Flash Stock Rooted PRE-OTA Rom via ClockWorkMod

Open up RomManger via the Android Launcher and select "Install ROM from SD Card" and select the "stock_root.zip" on the root of the sdcard and select the option to "Wipe Data and Cache" and hit ok. Once rom is flashed it will reboot automatically and bring you back to the os.

**IMPORTANT**

If the flash has failed you must reboot back into the OS and use HexEditor which i have attached to the thread. DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THIS!!

Open up an ADB Shell and run the following command:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/misc.img

this will then export the misc.img file we need to edit to the root of the sdcard.

Mount your sdcard and save the misc.img file to your PC and Open the file with HexEditor.

You should now see the version number on the right hand side of the application and it should read "1.22.531.8" YOU MUST CHANGE THIS TO "1.19.531.1" you can now save the file as miscnew.img and place it on the root of your sdcard and then unmount the sdcard from windows.

Now go back to your ADB Shell and run the following command

dd if=/sdcard/miscnew.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

you can now make sure you have copied the PC10IMG.zip file to the root of your SDCARD and power off your phone and proceed to step 2.

*All Credit goes to Apache14 for this method which is in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831398

Step 2.) Restore factory BOOTLOADER, RECOVERY, KERNEL, ROM (THIS RE-ENABLES S-ON)

Place the factory firmware you downloaded in step 2 above on the root of your sdcard and rename it to PC10IMG.zip one you have done this power off the device and power back on by holding volume down and power. Once in the bootloader it will then scan your sdcard and find the file needed, be patient this can take quite a few minutes. After it finishes scanning you will then have to hit the Volume up key on the side of the phone to restore the software. This will take approximately 5-10 minutes. The phone will reboot in the middle of the update to restore S-ON once rebooted it will then scan sdcard again and resume flashing. Once completed you will have to hit Power to reboot and boot back into the factory restored android os.

Step 3.) -OPTIONAL- Apply OTA Update from T-Mobile

Boot back into android and mount your sdcard once again. You will now delete the PC10IMG.zip file we copied previously. Once you have deleted the file copy the file we downloaded in step 3 above to the root of the sdcard and rename it to “update.zip”. You can now power down your device and power back on holding volume down and power. Once in the bootloader wait 5-10 for it to finish scanning your sdcard and hit volume down and power to select RECOVERY. Once in recovery mode you must now hold volume up and power on your G2. You will now hit volume down and power to select "apply sdcard:update.zip" It will then scan your sdcard verify the update.zip file we placed on the root of the sdcard and proceed to install. You will then have to hit power once more to reboot when indicated on the device. This will now take approximately another 5 minutes and the phone will reboot 2 times automatically do not touch until you are booted automatically back into android.

You are now 100% Back to stock with S-ON, Factory ROM, and Factory Recovery.

Attachments

• xvi32.zip
    493.6 KB · Views: 1,654
Last edited by a moderator:

ositoazul

Aug 23, 2008
Chicago
I ran Visionary and everything seem to be working ok until I rebooted my G2. Now When I ran Visionary it says that the phone is already rooted, but when I use terminal emulator or adb to root is says su:permission denied. When I try to Flash Stock Rooted PRE-OTA Rom via ClockWorkMod I get this error "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands". Also when I try to Restore factory BOOTLOADER, RECOVERY, KERNEL, ROM I do exactly as you said and I'm getting a no image found. I would appreciate any help you could provide.

marc91988

Apr 29, 2010
If all you need is root go to rom manager and click on download rom and under extras download superuser e/f then install the zip this flash the superuser.apk you are missing

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

ositoazul

Aug 23, 2008
Chicago
Did as instructed but still getting "error occurred while attempting to run privilege commands".

Superuser.apk is already installed

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

marc91988

Apr 29, 2010
Did you two flash the original rom linked in step 1?

Either way follow the steps here for the fix..

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831398

marc91988

Apr 29, 2010
Ok that should deffintleyw ork it is failing due the fact it is still reading the stock OTA build number opposed to the original stock build. let me know if you need help.

BlueSSS

Nov 10, 2010
Code:
Writing BOOT:...
E:Can't find BOOT:
E:Failure at line 344:
write_raw_image PACKAGE:boot.img BOOT:
Installation aborted.
??? What gives?

marc91988

Apr 29, 2010
where are you getting that error? I recommened give you the link i just posted 2 posts above and then flashing PC10IMG.zip and you should be all set.

BlueSSS

Nov 10, 2010
this was after i tried installing the stock_root.zip
eveything is wiped, so could i just flash the PC10IMG.zip and be done?
im just getting a replacement phone from t-mobile cause of the hinge

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR STUPIDITY**

This guide will follow the steps needed to remove permanent root and bring your device back to 100% stock

Here are the following files we will need to download please grab the files needed below and place them on the root of your sdcard

1-a) Stock PRE-OTA Rom rooted:
    Stock PRE-OTA Rom

or

1-b) Download the attached HexEditor on the thread

2.) Stock Factory Bootloader / Recovery / ROM / Kernel:
    Stock Factory Bootloader / Recovery / ROM / Kernel
    (rename this to PC10IMG.ZIP)

3.) T-Mobile OTA Update - Build # 1.22.531.8:
    T-Mobile OTA Update
    (rename this to update.zip)

Procedure:
    Step 1.) Flash Stock Rooted PRE-OTA Rom via ClockWorkMod

Open up RomManger via the Android Launcher and select "Install ROM from SD Card" and select the "stock_root.zip" on the root of the sdcard and select the option to "Wipe Data and Cache" and hit ok. Once rom is flashed it will reboot automatically and bring you back to the os.

**IMPORTANT**

If the flash has failed you must reboot back into the OS and use HexEditor which i have attached to the thread. DO NOT PROCEED UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THIS!!

Open up an ADB Shell and run the following command:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/misc.img

this will then export the misc.img file we need to edit to the root of the sdcard.

Mount your sdcard and save the misc.img file to your PC and Open the file with HexEditor.

You should now see the version number on the right hand side of the application and it should read "1.22.531.8" YOU MUST CHANGE THIS TO "1.19.531.1" you can now save the file as miscnew.img and place it on the root of your sdcard and then unmount the sdcard from windows.

Now go back to your ADB Shell and run the following command

dd if=/sdcard/miscnew.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

you can now make sure you have copied the PC10IMG.zip file to the root of your SDCARD and power off your phone and proceed to step 2.

*All Credit goes to Apache14 for this method which is in this thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831398

Step 2.) Restore factory BOOTLOADER, RECOVERY, KERNEL, ROM (THIS RE-ENABLES S-ON)

Place the factory firmware you downloaded in step 2 above on the root of your sdcard and rename it to PC10IMG.zip one you have done this power off the device and power back on by holding volume down and power. Once in the bootloader it will then scan your sdcard and find the file needed, be patient this can take quite a few minutes. After it finishes scanning you will then have to hit the Volume up key on the side of the phone to restore the software. This will take approximately 5-10 minutes. The phone will reboot in the middle of the update to restore S-ON once rebooted it will then scan sdcard again and resume flashing. Once completed you will have to hit Power to reboot and boot back into the factory restored android os.

Step 3.) -OPTIONAL- Apply OTA Update from T-Mobile

Boot back into android and mount your sdcard once again. You will now delete the PC10IMG.zip file we copied previously. Once you have deleted the file copy the file we downloaded in step 3 above to the root of the sdcard and rename it to “update.zip”. You can now power down your device and power back on holding volume down and power. Once in the bootloader wait 5-10 for it to finish scanning your sdcard and hit volume down and power to select RECOVERY. Once in recovery mode you must now hold volume up and power on your G2. You will now hit volume down and power to select "apply sdcard:update.zip" It will then scan your sdcard verify the update.zip file we placed on the root of the sdcard and proceed to install. You will then have to hit power once more to reboot when indicated on the device. This will now take approximately another 5 minutes and the phone will reboot 2 times automatically do not touch until you are booted automatically back into android.

You are now 100% Back to stock with S-ON, Factory ROM, and Factory Recovery.
    Worked like a charm. Instead of visionary, I just did re-did the rage temp root via adb, but i'm assuming the same end goal was achieved. Back to stock with S-On. I'm pretty sure nothing else needs to be done. Thanks!

No problem, just trying to make things easier. The reason I said temp-root with VISIONary was you just need temp-root to push the files for gfree either with adb or root explorer to /data/local to do S-On.

And please hit the thanks button.

Phone: T-Mobile G2/Vision Rooted/GFree'd
    Rom: Latest Cyanogen
    Recovery: CWM waiting for Amon_RA
    Alright, after finishing with step two, it still seems to be S-OFF.

When loading HBOOT, the top line reads "VISION PVT SHIP S-OFF"

Is there some simple reason for this?

This guide is a bit out of date, and assumes you have only used the "old" method of installing the engineering hboot.

If you used gfree to get full radio S-OFF (which, after all, is the highly recommended method), then you need to "un-do" gfree, because your radio configuration is still S-OFF. See the Wiki which shows you the options you can use to switch your radio to S-ON, if that's what you want to do - http://forum.xda-developers.com/wik...verify_sdcard_is_not_mounted_by_your_computer
    That is exactly the same issue I had. So to clarify, does this mean I need to re-achieve temp root so that I can have superuser access in the adb shell in the first place in order to turn S-ON? Also, do you think this would be necessary in order to receive warranty work, or is the OP's unrooting method enough to receive work? I've currently unrooted and am back with stock firmware, but S is still OFF.

Yes, if you have radio S-OFF via gfree, you will need to run gfree to set S-ON again. And gfree needs to run as root, so you will have to temp root as you said.
    I would think that if you gfree'd just flash the PC10img then once you are back to stock you are still gfree'd. Next you will need to run VISIONary to get temp-root and thus able to remove gfree. And if you want download the update and manually update your phone or just wait to have the update pushed to your phone. And please if I am wrong in this please correct me. That's my understanding.

Phone: T-Mobile G2/Vision Rooted/GFree'd
    Rom: Latest Cyanogen
    Recovery: CWM waiting for Amon_RA