[GUIDE] Remove suggestions from settings (Stock Android 10)

Search This thread

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
Hi there!

So, anybody who updated to android 10 knows about the annoying suggestions appearing in settings, which at the moment can't be dismissed or swiped away. Clearing the data of Settings Suggestions app can "fix" the issue momentarily but it'll come back again. Seems like the issue is about suggestions.xml file (/data/data/com.android.settings.intelligence/shared_prefs/suggestions.xml) not updating the boolean values correctly.

Examples:

Code:
<boolean name="com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wallpaper.StyleSuggestionActivity_is_dismissed" value="false" />

Code:
<boolean name="com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wallpaper.WallpaperSuggestionActivity_is_dismissed" value="false" />

The above lines must be changed from "false" to "true" in order for the suggestions to be dismissed but root is required to access and edit the suggestions.xml file i mentioned above. However, i managed to discover a rootless way of doing that by creating an adb data only backup of Settings Suggestions app. I used adb backup extractor to extract the backup file and edit suggestions.xml, restored the edited backup file via adb restore and the suggestions were gone. I've tried the method twice just to be sure and it's working.

I'm attaching the zip containing the edited backup file that you guys can restore using "adb restore data.ab" command.

NOTE: The restore process won't work on old adb drivers so make sure you use the latest platform tools before trying.
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip

Attachments

• data_v6.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

THEGEEK2015

May 17, 2015
Can you please explain step by step how to do this? Do I have to download a certain app or connect my phone into a pc/laptop?

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
Can you please explain step by step how to do this? Do I have to download a certain app or connect my phone into a pc/laptop?

1 - Make sure you have the latest adb drivers.
2 - Extract the attached zip and put "data.ab" in the same folder were the adb executable is.
3 - Enable usb debugging in your device
4 - Connect the device and execute "adb restore data.ab" in adb

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
2 - Extract the attached zip and put "data.ab" in the same folder were the adb executable is.

I'm afraid that by replacing our data.ad with the one provided by you, will cost the loss of our app data.
Is there a toolkit to help us edit data.ad?

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
I'm afraid that by replacing our data.ad with the one provided by you, will cost the loss of our app data.

As u can notice, the backup is a mere 2 kb file. It's a backup of only the Settings Suggestions app data, which is responsible for the suggestions in settings. However, if u are not comfortable using my backup, adb backup extractor is the tool you need....

tejas1903

Dec 28, 2014
Pune
Bro, Thanks a lot for your work and even big thanks for sharing! I have one more bug that I saw only a few people mentioning. I have sent it to Xiaomi also but there's no response. So here is the deal. I see the font and display size as 'big' on the lockscreen, when I have kept settings of both to 'small'. I have to go to settings and do some back n forth to get the uniform results. It turns back after I restart the device. Do you know or could you please find any solution to it? Thanks again! :)

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
@amnher Nope, only adb
@tejas1903 In my case, when i change the display size, certain elements like the power menu revert back to their original size after locking the phone (lock screen isn't affected though). I noticed it only happens when i use fingerprint unlock, which means getting rid of the fingerprints and keeping pin/password/pattern only as a method of unlocking fixes the issue in my case. I don't know if we are affected by the same bug, you can test it by removing the fingerprint and see for yourself. It's a pitty, when the first android 10 update came i thought the suggestion bug would be fixed by the 2nd update, yet here we are on the 4th one. Xiaomi really takes it's time in fixing the bugs however i still hope for a future bug free release....

tejas1903

Dec 28, 2014
Pune
@amnher Nope, only adb

@tejas1903 In my case, when i change the display size, certain elements like the power menu revert back to their original size after locking the phone (lock screen isn't affected though). I noticed it only happens when i use fingerprint unlock, which means getting rid of the fingerprints and keeping pin/password/pattern only as a method of unlocking fixes the issue in my case. I don't know if we are affected by the same bug, you can test it by removing the fingerprint and see for yourself. It's a pitty, when the first android 10 update came i thought the suggestion bug would be fixed by the 2nd update, yet here we are on the 4th one. Xiaomi really takes it's time in fixing the bugs however i still hope for a future bug free release....

Okay will try.. and Thanks again! :)

amnher

@amnher Nope, only adb

1. So if i disable adb it will stay?
2. And I suppose factory reset will revert?

[GS]

Jun 24, 2012
Durres
Can u make any guide, how to read your backup file? i dont like to restore your backup!

gamernayeem

Mar 14, 2015
Dhaka
thanks for your work, but new suggestion appears: on body detection
its like if you turn off one thing another opens
but thanks for your help

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
thanks for your work, but new suggestion appears: on body detection
its like if you turn off one thing another opens
but thanks for your help

I'll keep the backup file updated with any new suggestion that appears until Xiaomi fixes it, if they do. I haven't encountered this one yet, which means i don't know the corresponding boolean to add to the suggestions.xml. If you manage to find it you can post it right here. If you can't, you can also post a data backup of your Settings Suggestions app using the following command (and i'll find it myself):

adb backup -f data.ab -noapk com.android.settings.intelligence

birdflesh

Sep 15, 2011
I haven't encountered this one yet, which means i don't know the corresponding boolean to add to the suggestions.xml. If you manage to find it you can post it right here. If you can't, you can also post a data backup of your Settings Suggestions app using the following command (and i'll find it myself):

adb backup -f data.ab -noapk com.android.settings.intelligence

It should be this line:
Code:
<boolean name="com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.trustagent.discovery.OnbodyPromotionActivity_is_dismissed" value="true" />
Btw, thank you very much, this is also a problem for Mi A2 since the android 10 update and your workaround worked great for me too.

eltonb

Dec 14, 2018
Tirana
It should be this line:
Code:
<boolean name="com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.trustagent.discovery.OnbodyPromotionActivity_is_dismissed" value="true" />
Btw, thank you very much, this is also a problem for Mi A2 since the android 10 update and your workaround worked great for me too.

You're welcome! Mi A3, Mi A2, Mi A2 Lite and some other Nokia phones seem to have this issue. Thanks for posting the On Body Detection boolean, however since my "suggestions.xml" has no such line and i added it manually, i don't know if it'll work.... So, i'm attaching a test backup file which @gamernayeem or anyone who has the On Body Detection suggestion can try and see if it works. I'll update the OP then

Attachments

• data_test.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 73

cipinet

Jan 21, 2008
Thanks man, i use your ideea to mi A2lite with andro Q, with same problem. I have a question: in the process of unpacking you use linux or just windows?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there!

So, anybody who updated to android 10 knows about the annoying suggestions appearing in settings, which at the moment can't be dismissed or swiped away. Clearing the data of Settings Suggestions app can "fix" the issue momentarily but it'll come back again. Seems like the issue is about suggestions.xml file (/data/data/com.android.settings.intelligence/shared_prefs/suggestions.xml) not updating the boolean values correctly.

Examples:

Code:
    <boolean name="com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wallpaper.StyleSuggestionActivity_is_dismissed" value="false" />

Code:
    <boolean name="com.android.settings/com.android.settings.wallpaper.WallpaperSuggestionActivity_is_dismissed" value="false" />

The above lines must be changed from "false" to "true" in order for the suggestions to be dismissed but root is required to access and edit the suggestions.xml file i mentioned above. However, i managed to discover a rootless way of doing that by creating an adb data only backup of Settings Suggestions app. I used adb backup extractor to extract the backup file and edit suggestions.xml, restored the edited backup file via adb restore and the suggestions were gone. I've tried the method twice just to be sure and it's working.

I'm attaching the zip containing the edited backup file that you guys can restore using "adb restore data.ab" command.

NOTE: The restore process won't work on old adb drivers so make sure you use the latest platform tools before trying.
    https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip

As u can notice, the backup is a mere 2 kb file. It's a backup of only the Settings Suggestions app data, which is responsible for the suggestions in settings. However, if u are not comfortable using my backup, adb backup extractor is the tool you need....
    @amnher Nope, only adb
    OP updated with "On Body Detection" suggestion!