[GUIDE] Remove system apps/bloat - ADB | NO ROOT

davebugyi

Mar 16, 2010
Bratislava
www.myspace.com
Hello all,

I found a nice little guide, which works on most of the android phones - if you want to remove system apps, but do not want to root.
All credits to dosangst on Reddit!

Working ADB connection is required.

And as always, be careful what you remove! Removing critical apps will result in bootloop and you have to reflash firmware/ROM.

1. connect device, make sure ADB is working (check with CMD "adb devices")
2. go to shell, using CMD "adb shell"
3. get list of install packages using CMD "pm list packages" (use google to find out what does each package name means).
4. remove package using CMD "pm uninstall -k --user 0 $packagname" (e.g. pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.inputdevices)
5. if correctly typed, you receive message "SUCCESS"

Optionally a reboot might be required.

Last edited:

SwedishBadger

May 6, 2011
Trollhättan
Could anyone please enlighten me (and all others who might wounder) which of the system apps that can be removed "safely"?

I went form a OnePlus X and got the P10 mainly cause I got it for 359$ / 313€ without contract but I really don´t like bloat apps. HiCare might be OK to have but Notes, Music, Videos, E-mail, Health, Gallery and possibly some more apps are just a waste of space since I prefer other apps for that. I guess I just could make a folder and put all Huawei bloat inside of it and just feel a little sick each time I scroll by it so it would be nice to remove as much of it as possible.

I would happily donate a beer to the person who comes up with a list of "safe" apps to remove.

Last edited:
Reactions: SebastianAlejandro
G

GuestD0473

Could anyone please enlighten me (and all others who might wounder) which of the system apps that can be removed "safely"?

I went form a OnePlus X and got the P10 mainly cause I got it for 359$ / 313€ without contract but I really don´t like bloat apps. HiCare might be OK to have but Notes, Music, Videos, E-mail, Health, Gallery and possibly some more apps are just a waste of space since I prefer other apps for that. I guess I just could make a folder and put all Huawei bloat inside of it and just feel a little sick each time I scroll by it so it would be nice to remove as much of it as possible.
I want to know too, what apps we can remove safely.

azreen91

May 24, 2011
Is it safe to remove "Huawei Mobile Services"? Also, it is so weird that my P10 has facebook and facebook messenger as system app...

Jacksom26

Jul 26, 2017
nice

Music, Videos, E-mail, Health, Gallery and possibly some more apps are just a waste of space since I prefer other apps for that. I guess I just could make a folder and put all Huawei bloat inside of it and just feel a little sick each time I scroll by it so it would be nice to remove as much of it as possible.

Reactions: nedhegg

bartito

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2005
How is this possible?
Android mount /system as readonly when device boots. Due to that (seems) not possible to uninstall apps from /system. I think you are uninstalling apps that are installed on /data/app but not /system apps.
Apps installed on /data/app can be unistalled accessing to android settings -> apps -> [select a app] -> uninstall

Hello all,

I found a nice little guide, which works on most of the android phones - if you want to remove system apps, but do not want to root.
All credits to dosangst on Reddit!

Working ADB connection is required.

And as always, be careful what you remove! Removing critical apps will result in bootloop and you have to reflash firmware/ROM.

1. connect device, make sure ADB is working (check with CMD "adb devices")
2. go to shell, using CMD "adb shell"
3. get list of install packages using CMD "pm list packages" (use google to find out what does each package name means).
4. remove package using CMD "pm uninstall -k --user 0 $packagname" (e.g. pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.inputdevices)
5. if correctly typed, you receive message "SUCCESS"

Optionally a reboot might be required.

davebugyi

Mar 16, 2010
Bratislava
www.myspace.com
How is this possible?
Android mount /system as readonly when device boots. Due to that (seems) not possible to uninstall apps from /system. I think you are uninstalling apps that are installed on /data/app but not /system apps.
Apps installed on /data/app can be unistalled accessing to android settings -> apps -> [select a app] -> uninstall
I do not know the technical background, but probably it evokes some special user priviliges hidden in the system.
To be honest I never checked where are those apps located.

For example try to uninstall GBoard (vtr-l29, B151)- not possible, not even the disable function. With this method it could be removed.

DaRdamnDoG

May 23, 2017
I was practising this method months ago and I just found out that after I rooted my phone apparently the apps are still inside data folder. Or maybe something happened in between that I wasn't aware of.

maly82

Nov 4, 2014
People if you don't like the original Huawei apps you probably don't like the default launcher. Why not just use for example nova launcher and hide all the apps that you don't use from launcher. Also you can change settings in advanced apps settings to use apps you prefer as default. Like gmail as main mail app, Google photos for gallery and so on.
64GB is enough to keep all those apps there.