[Guide] Replacing "G-Tablet" boot logo (UPDATED)

Search This thread

igorv

Jul 28, 2011
I have a bunch of different logos posted at slatedroid. Each of them are in their own update.zip so you can choose which one you want and just flash it using clockworkmod.
I would post a link but not allowed since I am new here.Just check out the Gtablet themes section at slatedroid and you will find it

patne83

May 19, 2011
Boston,MA
i really appreciate what you guys do for all the android commiunity, there is no video out there to follow ,and i will love to change those stupid birds. did you know another more simple way to do this, i only use nvflsh to bring my tablet back to stock.
i am on gtabcomb 3.3 bl 1.1

I will appreciate any help

Last edited:

Prime85

Aug 14, 2011
i am stuck at the repack, hopefully someone can help me. I am using ubuntu 11.04 this is the message i get when trying to repack.

Code:
perl repack-bootimg.pl boot.img-kernel.gz boot.img-ramdisk boot.img
1633 blocks
Can't exec "./mkbootimg": Permission denied at repack-bootimg.pl line 19.

repacked boot image written at boot.img-ramdisk-repack.img

i have tryed many different things and i have run out of ideas, any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
i have tryed many different things and i have run out of ideas, any help will be appreciated.
If you just want to change /initlogo.rle, you don't have to unpack and repack the boot image yourself. I created a CWM flashable zip file some time ago which will do most of that work for you. Just unzip my zip file (see this thread or post #81, above) and replace the initlogo.rle file in there with yours. Zip everything up again and then just flash it. You don't even need to sign the zip file since CWM doesn't check signatures by default.

Prime85

Aug 14, 2011
If you just want to change /initlogo.rle, you don't have to unpack and repack the boot image yourself. I created a CWM flashable zip file some time ago which will do most of that work for you. Just unzip my zip file (see this thread or post #81, above) and replace the initlogo.rle file in there with yours. Zip everything up again and then just flash it. You don't even need to sign the zip file since CWM doesn't check signatures by default.

thank you i will try it when i get home.

Prime85

Aug 14, 2011

Man you are a genius THANK YOU!!! :D

worked perfectly, ill never know what went wrong with the repacking but i guess it doesn't matter

BigNates

Oct 28, 2011
Works

I have a bunch of different logos posted at slatedroid. Each of them are in their own update.zip so you can choose which one you want and just flash it using clockworkmod.
I would post a link but not allowed since I am new here.Just check out the Gtablet themes section at slatedroid and you will find it

Thanks worked like a charm for me, awesome!

Honeycomb 3.2 BL 1.1

snipersquad8

Dec 27, 2010
can you please make a plain black boot logo that simply says ANDROID on the left side at 300px from the top and 150px from the left using 24pt font?
i know im specific, but i cant post links or anything yet to the picture
thanks
also, im running flashback 10.1, so it should be near the first page on development forum

WeekendsR2Short

Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Tn
This thread is GREAT and I learned alot from reading it several times and trying out the tips included within. I have created a few myself and will attach them as soon as I am allowed. Thanks to all that share your knowledge so freely here!

WeekendsR2Short

Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Tn
Here's a Few...

Sorry. I learned how to do something else new on my phone and got a bit distracted.........

(these come out nice when not in thumbnail size)

Attachments

• GreenTowers.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • small-Gladiators.bmp
    105.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Gladiators.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • small-CatEyes.bmp
    105.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CatEyes.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

apacolypz

Apr 9, 2012
Boot Logo

A much easier way of doing this is actually just replacing the bmp image file under your partition 6 table. I am not taking credit for this as I found this online. I attached a zip file, either use this to have a new boot logo or replace the image file with another 24 bit bmp 1024x600 picture. After you edit, archive the three files together again using your favorite program. Move the zip file over to your sc card either internal or external. Open up recovery upon a restart/shutdown. Once CWM recovery is open find your zip and install it. After about a second your new boot image should be complete. Just reboot and see the difference. This is the easiest way of making/changing your boot image. Other suggestions which are just as easy would be to NvFlash the files which would be incorporated with your recovery or new rom installation. Whichever option works best for you :)

Just wanted to type up a easy guideline for those noobs who hate reading techy paragraphs.

Attachments

• install_bootbmp-signed.zip
    903.2 KB · Views: 33

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
A much easier way of doing this is actually just replacing the bmp image file under your partition 6 table...
1. This is the wrong thread for that zip file. This thread is for replacing the /initlogo.rle file which is the 2nd splash screen (which by default is a gTablet logo) shown right after the 1st splash screen (the 3 birds).

2. That zip file is originally from right here on XDA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This image in Vegan B3 boot.img

tegra.jpg

delete the .zip off the end of the file name and flash to partition 10 with nvflash.
    In response to some requests, I have added some pre-made boot.img files. They need to be flashed with nvflash, but at least you don't have to mess around with linux and coverting the files.

The files attached below have this logo that replaces the "G-Tablet" boot logo:
    tegra_small.jpg

TNT Lite 3.0 Tegra.zip
    TNT Lite 3.1 Tegra.zip
    VEGAn beta 3 Tegra.zip
    VEGAn beta 5.1 Tegra.zip

(attached to bottom of post)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ADVANCED USERS ONLY - NVFLASH REQUIRED
    I would like to reiterate the importance of when I say this is not for the faint of heart. You should be familiar with nvflash, know how to pull the partition table, know how to do a full restore, etc. You are directly and blindly flashing a partition. A small percentage of devices have a different partition table, which this guide would not work for. -Rothnic.

Thanks Rothnic! I couldn't say it better myself, so I didn't! :D

Thank you to JSZESZE for the image I used. It can be found here.

If you need help getting NVFLASH to work, you can find it here.

This will show you how to change the second boot screen or the "G-Tablet" screen with an image of your choice. I have attached the tools you need to do it, to565 needs to be compiled. Do not ask me how, I had to search google since I never compiled anything before, but I have included the to565.c so you don't need to go looking for it.

1. Extract the boot.img out of the rom zip you are using (update.zip) to your desktop
    2. Place the boot.img, unpack-bootimg.pl, to565, and the boot folder on your desktop
    3. Open a terminal
    4. type in terminal
    Code:
    perl unpack-bootimg.pl boot.img
    5. You should then have boot.img-ramdisk, boot.img-kernel.gz and boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz on your desktop
    6. Delete boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz
    7. Open the boot.img-ramdisk directory
    8. Remove and save initlogo.rle
    9. Open the photo you want to use in GIMP
    10. Resize to 1024 x 600
    11. Click save as...
    12. Name the file splash.raw
    13. Select file type "raw image data" and save to your desktop
    14. RGB Save Type should be Standard (R,G,B)
    15. Indexed Palette type should be R,G,B (normal)
    16. In terminal:
    Code:
    ./to565 -rle < splash.raw > initlogo.rle
    17. You should now have ititlogo.rle on your desktop
    18. copy that file to boot.img-ramdisk directory
    19. Move boot.img-ramdisk folder and boot.img-kernel.gz to the boot folder
    20. In terminal:
    Code:
    cd boot
    perl repack-bootimg.pl boot.img-kernel.gz boot.img-ramdisk boot.img
    21. Should have a boot.img file in the boot directory now.
    22. In terminal:
    Code:
    ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --download 10 boot.img
    If you read through all of this and are lost, but really want that G-Tablet screen gone, I may help you out if you ask nicely.

Roebeet, Rothnic and Gojimmy... I would love to create something with your guys' roms.
    works

It's very easy to change that 2nd splash screen on any ROM. See this post for a zip file you can flash using CWM.

I 2nd this method. worked perfect on GtabComb ROM BL1.2. More detailed steps here for anyone struggling.
    As I understand all these instructions are specific to ROMs. Has anyone successfully changes those viewsonic birs with their custom image.
    It's very easy to change that 2nd splash screen on any ROM. See this post for a zip file you can flash using CWM.