[GUIDE] Resize Data/Internal SDcard of MediaTek MT6732/MT6752/MT6735/MT6795

Search This thread

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Hello all.

This thread is about resizing split partitions of MediaTek MT6732 / MT6752 / MT6735 / MT6795 based devices.

In my opinion, splitting the internal storage up is one of the most irritating things a manufacturer can do to a device.
With older MTK phones, we had the EBR mod method. Not so anymore, as 6732, 6735, 6752 and 6795 don't have MBR/EBR but have a GPT partition table instead, which is MUCH better to work with.

The method has been confirmed working on the following devices:
- THL 2015 (MT6752L, KK 4.4.4, 16GB)
- Kingzone Z1 (MT6752, KK 4.4.4, 16GB)
- Mlais M52 (MT6752, KK 4.4.4/LP 5.0, 16GB)
- Doogee F1 Mini (MT6732, KK 4.4.4, 8GB)
- KEP oNe (MT6735, LP 5.1, 16GB)
- VKworld VK6050s (MT6735M, LP 5.1, 16GB)
- Bluboo X550 (MT6735P, LP 5.1, 16GB)
- Cube T8 Plus (MT8783, LP 5.1)
- Cube T8 (MT6735M, LP 5.1)
- StonexOne (MT6795, LP 5.1, 32GB)

The method also works on these devices but with unconfirmed reported issues:
- None currently known.

The method below should work on any mt6732/mt6752/mt6735 (including variants) with split partitions.
If you have a device with split partitions that is not in the list, and this method works for you, please let me know so I can add it to the list.

How to do the resize (No computer needed)
What you must have:
- An MT67** phone with a custom recovery installed (preferably TWRP, but any recovery ought to work)
- At least 50% battery
- The Resize Aroma zip attached to the bottom of this post.
- A brain ;)

It would also be a good idea to have:
- An original stock firmware that you can flash with SP Flash Tools (just in case)
- A backup of your internal "SD card" (it will be wiped, but /data will not)
- A MicroSD card to install the zip from.

The process will take you less than 10 minutes.

NOTE: The userdata partition WILL NOT be erased in this process.

NOTE 2: As long as you have a stock firmware and know how to install it with SP Flash, the chances of a brick are practically zero.

WARNING: Back up anything you want to keep off the Internal SDcard! It also wouldn't be a bad idea to backup /data too, just in case something goes wrong.

WARNING 2: When you use the zip, DO NOT install it from the UserData partition or IntSD partition, or the resize won't work correctly. Make sure it is on the EXTERNAL SD, or if you don't have an External SD card, copy the zip to the /cache partition and install it from there instead.

Method:
1. Boot into TWRP recovery mode. Choose Install.
2. Find the Resize zip you downloaded and select that.
3. READ the welcome screen!
4. Press Next and choose the new size for the /data partition. You can choose anything from 1GB to 13GB (depends on the device).
5. Press Next and press Start. Wait for the resize to complete (it shouldn't take much more than 30 seconds).
6. Reboot.
7. Enjoy your extra space!

Possible issues:
Issue #1 - "I reboot and get a Damaged SD card notification"
-----> Click the notification and click Format. NB: This issue should not occur anymore. If you run into this problem, please let us know.

Issue #2 - "My device does not boot!"
-----> Reflash your device with your stock firmware using SP Flash (choose Firmware Upgrade option). If you don't have a firmware... Well, you were warned.

Issue #3- "Partition resize appears to be successful but my device bootloops"
-----> This can happen when you shrink the /data partition too much. Run a factory reset in recovery and try booting again.

Issue #4 (resolved).

Issue #5 - "I flashed the zip with no problems but my userdata /intsd partition(s) haven't changed"
-----> This can happen when you try and install the zip from the Userdata partition or the Intsd partition, because the partition can't be resized while they are being used. Try copying the zip to a different partition, e.g. /cache, or your external SD, and try again.

Issue #6 - "I flashed the zip successfully but I can't write anything to the IntSD partition afterwards without root, or files put on the IntSD disappear after a reboot"
-----> We are currently investigating this issue. If you have this problem, please answer the questions in post #11 by @AlexZap and post them on this thread.

Credits:
@HypoTurtle and @AlexZap for the initial idea, creation and development
@odigitech (me) for the modifications that finally made this work (and for the splash screen)
@mrsim, @viper08 and @baxevan for helping us dig up the issues.
@erlucky for testing for MT6795, and his Italian translation.

Tags: mt6752, mtk6752, mt6732, mtk6732, mt6735, mtk6735, mt6795, mtk6795, resize, partitions

Attachments

• Resize_v23-signed.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,208
Last edited:

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Also tested with Doogee F1 Mini kk 4.4.4 (MT6732)

Even went back to stock image and applied the zip and did an ota update after that and everything worked just fine..

Sweet! Nice one dude, I'll add your device to the supported list above. :D

Sent from my thl 2015 using XDA Free mobile app

viper08

May 22, 2008
UK
Tested on THL2015 working fine!! Finally fixed my camera storage and WhatsApp issues!! The only issue I had was that I only got it to work by installing from the external sd......and just a minor thing...the font is very small.....Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsim and odigitech

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Tested on THL2015 working fine!! Finally fixed my camera storage and WhatsApp issues!! The only issue I had was that I only got it to work by installing from the external sd......and just a minor thing...the font is very small.....Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

The font thing... I worked at it for hours trying to fix that, but no bacon. And the SDcard thing... Well, the zip cannot modify the intsd while the zip is using it. I've added that to the list of possible issues above. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

UPDATE: The font problem has now been corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsim

KeFe

May 29, 2007
Done on a THL2015 in 3 minutes (without the twrp backup).
Worked well. Now I have to erase xposed fwork log garbage once a week, instead daily as before. It was getting pretty annoying after 3 months... :)

Thank you!

Liffeyman

Feb 13, 2013
Dublin
Have a weird permissions thing, can't seem to use the internal storage for the likes of titanium backup. Created a folder and the titanium app gave an error about permissions. Went in and changed the permission manually, it worked fine until i reboot the phone. then the folder disappeared
I think it has something to do with the last screen of the resizer app, but not sure what i need to do

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• 550.jpg
    550.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,403

AlexZap

Feb 15, 2014
Waterbury
Have a weird permissions thing, can't seem to use the internal storage for the likes of titanium backup. Created a folder and the titanium app gave an error about permissions. Went in and changed the permission manually, it worked fine until i reboot the phone. then the folder disappeared
I think it has something to do with the last screen of the resizer app, but not sure what i need to do

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

Hmmm that is strange because the intsd should be vfat and have no permissions period. Here are a couple of questions:

1) what phone are you using? Can you link the ROM?

2) what size did you resize too?

3) can anything else use the intsd? If you use a file explorer can you create new directories and files on the card manually?

4) If you still have it, in the /cache partition there is a resize.log file... Can you post it?

5) if you have a terminal emulator installed on your phone, can you open a shell, run 'mount' (without quotes) and post the output?

Thanks.

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Arangato

Feb 18, 2015
Frankfurt
Worked with THL 2015

Hi all,
i have a brand new THL 2015 (delivered on firday last week) and resize worked like a charm on my device. Now have 12 GB free space for internal apps! Thanks for great and easy solution. I came from an 8 GB internal space device with only 3 GB free space for apps. So i am really happy to have no worries about installing apps any more...

Only one concern/question from my side: I selected maximum 13 GB option and internal phone SD was left with 150 MB. But this 150 MB got filled in couple of hours with a bigger cache file of gallery:
file path: mnt/sdcard2/Android/data/com.android.gallery3d/cache/imgcache.0

Size of the file is now 150 MB taking all the space of the partition. I did not have any issues with the gallery, can use all fine (i have lots of pictures on external SD card >2000)
Can you check this file on your devices? Any ideas how to solve that (is it possible to move the path sdcard1)? Or is this sth. not to worry about?

Thx a lot and best regards
Arangato

Last edited:

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Hi all,
i have a brand new THL 2015 (delivered on firday last week) and resize worked like a charm on my device. Now have 12 GB free space for internal apps! Thanks for great and easy solution. I came from an 8 GB internal space device with only 3 GB free space for apps. So i am really happy to have no worries about installing apps any more...

Only one concern/question from my side: I selected maximum 13 GB option and internal phone SD was left with 150 MB. But this 150 MB got filled in couple of hours with a bigger cache file of gallery:
file path: mnt/sdcard2/Android/data/com.android.gallery3d/cache/imgcache.0

Size of the file is now 150 MB taking all the space of the partition. I did not have any issues with the gallery, can use all fine (i have lots of pictures on external SD card >2000)
Can you check this file on your devices? Any ideas how to solve that (is it possible to move the path sdcard1)? Or is this sth. not to worry about?

Thx a lot and best regards
Arangato

Yeah I have this problem with my device. Its just cached picture icons that the photo gallery has saved. It's safe to delete them. Don't worry about it mate. ?

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
Although this is a wonderful solution, I made it work on my KEP oNe, it's not the same as having only one partition. We have always 2. So the second one is the usb one.
What is the difference in the scatter file for having only one shared partition instead of two?

Reactions: odigitech

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Although this is a wonderful solution, I made it work on my KEP oNe, it's not the same as having only one partition. We have always 2. So the second one is the usb one.
What is the difference in the scatter file for having only one shared partition instead of two?

I'm not quite sure what you mean... Yes there is still 2 partitions, but that's because we don't want to get rid of intSD altogether as that can cause serious problems. With a device that has a single shared partition, there is no intSD (of course) and instead your documents and pictures and whatnot go in /data/media instead, or on your extSD if you have one.

Making the devices completely unified would require heavy modifications to the OS that no one has figured out how to do.

Reactions: mrsim

odigitech

Jun 13, 2015
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
There are some devices with one unified partition with those processors... I'll check the scatter...

It's not as simple as getting rid of intsd in the scatter. You would have to also modify the recovery ramdisk, boot ramdisk, and the system framework. Possibly the Settings app too. So you can see why we just made it really small instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all.

This thread is about resizing split partitions of MediaTek MT6732 / MT6752 / MT6735 / MT6795 based devices.

In my opinion, splitting the internal storage up is one of the most irritating things a manufacturer can do to a device.
    With older MTK phones, we had the EBR mod method. Not so anymore, as 6732, 6735, 6752 and 6795 don't have MBR/EBR but have a GPT partition table instead, which is MUCH better to work with.

The method has been confirmed working on the following devices:
    - THL 2015 (MT6752L, KK 4.4.4, 16GB)
    - Kingzone Z1 (MT6752, KK 4.4.4, 16GB)
    - Mlais M52 (MT6752, KK 4.4.4/LP 5.0, 16GB)
    - Doogee F1 Mini (MT6732, KK 4.4.4, 8GB)
    - KEP oNe (MT6735, LP 5.1, 16GB)
    - VKworld VK6050s (MT6735M, LP 5.1, 16GB)
    - Bluboo X550 (MT6735P, LP 5.1, 16GB)
    - Cube T8 Plus (MT8783, LP 5.1)
    - Cube T8 (MT6735M, LP 5.1)
    - StonexOne (MT6795, LP 5.1, 32GB)

The method also works on these devices but with unconfirmed reported issues:
    - None currently known.

The method below should work on any mt6732/mt6752/mt6735 (including variants) with split partitions.
    If you have a device with split partitions that is not in the list, and this method works for you, please let me know so I can add it to the list.

How to do the resize (No computer needed)
    What you must have:
    - An MT67** phone with a custom recovery installed (preferably TWRP, but any recovery ought to work)
    - At least 50% battery
    - The Resize Aroma zip attached to the bottom of this post.
    - A brain ;)

It would also be a good idea to have:
    - An original stock firmware that you can flash with SP Flash Tools (just in case)
    - A backup of your internal "SD card" (it will be wiped, but /data will not)
    - A MicroSD card to install the zip from.

The process will take you less than 10 minutes.

NOTE: The userdata partition WILL NOT be erased in this process.

NOTE 2: As long as you have a stock firmware and know how to install it with SP Flash, the chances of a brick are practically zero.

WARNING: Back up anything you want to keep off the Internal SDcard! It also wouldn't be a bad idea to backup /data too, just in case something goes wrong.

WARNING 2: When you use the zip, DO NOT install it from the UserData partition or IntSD partition, or the resize won't work correctly. Make sure it is on the EXTERNAL SD, or if you don't have an External SD card, copy the zip to the /cache partition and install it from there instead.

Method:
    1. Boot into TWRP recovery mode. Choose Install.
    2. Find the Resize zip you downloaded and select that.
    3. READ the welcome screen!
    4. Press Next and choose the new size for the /data partition. You can choose anything from 1GB to 13GB (depends on the device).
    5. Press Next and press Start. Wait for the resize to complete (it shouldn't take much more than 30 seconds).
    6. Reboot.
    7. Enjoy your extra space!

Possible issues:
    Issue #1 - "I reboot and get a Damaged SD card notification"
    -----> Click the notification and click Format. NB: This issue should not occur anymore. If you run into this problem, please let us know.

Issue #2 - "My device does not boot!"
    -----> Reflash your device with your stock firmware using SP Flash (choose Firmware Upgrade option). If you don't have a firmware... Well, you were warned.

Issue #3- "Partition resize appears to be successful but my device bootloops"
    -----> This can happen when you shrink the /data partition too much. Run a factory reset in recovery and try booting again.

Issue #4 (resolved).

Issue #5 - "I flashed the zip with no problems but my userdata /intsd partition(s) haven't changed"
    -----> This can happen when you try and install the zip from the Userdata partition or the Intsd partition, because the partition can't be resized while they are being used. Try copying the zip to a different partition, e.g. /cache, or your external SD, and try again.

Issue #6 - "I flashed the zip successfully but I can't write anything to the IntSD partition afterwards without root, or files put on the IntSD disappear after a reboot"
    -----> We are currently investigating this issue. If you have this problem, please answer the questions in post #11 by @AlexZap and post them on this thread.

Credits:
    @HypoTurtle and @AlexZap for the initial idea, creation and development
    @odigitech (me) for the modifications that finally made this work (and for the splash screen)
    @mrsim, @viper08 and @baxevan for helping us dig up the issues.
    @erlucky for testing for MT6795, and his Italian translation.

Tags: mt6752, mtk6752, mt6732, mtk6732, mt6735, mtk6735, mt6795, mtk6795, resize, partitions
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/btifv79mvf70574/recovery_ctr.img this is the recovery.
    I flashed twrp 2.8.7.0 and everything worked as it should with 13gb +29mb partitions

Ctr recovery wrote to it's own log in /cache/recovery/last.log . unfortunayely i wiped last time it failed. I only have a run till partition size selection. Then i aborted.Also mind the ctr doesnt have file manager so i could not take the error log after failure as i can only flash the entire rom with flash tools. Dont know if i can exclude cache partitipn.it may whine about partition changed. Only sp mdt works to flash rom.

Doesn't matter now. I've examined the CTR and figured out the problem. I will update the zip to correct the problem tomorrow.

The zip expects intSD to be mounted as /intsd, and intSD and userdata must both be unmounted to perform resize. But in CTR, the intSD is mounted at /storage/sdcard0, so it doesn't get unmounted. Hence why the resize fails in CTR.
    TWRP doesn't mount intSD at all so that's why it works in TWRP.

Thanks for your testing and helping make this method better.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/btifv79mvf70574/recovery_ctr.img this is the recovery.
    I flashed twrp 2.8.7.0 and everything worked as it should with 13gb +29mb partitions

Ctr recovery wrote to it's own log in /cache/recovery/last.log . unfortunayely i wiped last time it failed. I only have a run till partition size selection. Then i aborted.Also mind the ctr doesnt have file manager so i could not take the error log after failure as i can only flash the entire rom with flash tools. Dont know if i can exclude cache partitipn.it may whine about partition changed. Only sp mdt works to flash rom.
    Works great

Also tested with Doogee F1 Mini kk 4.4.4 (MT6732)

Even went back to stock image and applied the zip and did an ota update after that and everything worked just fine..