[Guide] Restore Lost IMEIs / Repair Network or Radio Issues

Search This thread

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
I accidentally restored TWRP backup of another Zuk Z2 phone on my new pgone and in this process over-wrote the EFS partition. This left me with a phone having no IMEI, no mac for Wifi and Bluetooth. Effectively No Network on phone.

Worried, I searched across internet to find out ways to restore IMEIs and get my phone working again. The way out was to restore xqcn file and use it to get back IMEIs, mac address etc. But there were various posts and mixed feedbacks. Even when I restored modified xqcn and got IMEIs back, it had only one sim actually working and other had no signal.

I spent many hours searching for finding right steps. It was a long tiring process wherein close to 2 days were gone trying multiple methods, flashing QPST roms around 10 times to observe network in Stock ROM , in Custom ROMs and after reflashing etc etc etc . Shouts go out to Akrapovic & Nordicus for their detailed posts which helped me in understanding lot many things and also finalizing key steps to restore IMEIs, MAC etc and getting phone working

Pre-requisites:

1) QPST installed on PC; Download v 2.7.453 from here or elsewhere if you know of
2) ADB / Fastboot installed
3) Drivers Installed for Zuk Z2
4) Hex Editor to edit xcqn file
5) WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC - to write IMEIs once xqcn has been restored
6) Zuk Z2 rooted with ADB enabled through developer options and connected to computer

For points 2 and 5, pls refer here to download the files and tools.

So the solution which worked for me, and one which has been tried and tested is following:

1) First check the IMEIs dialing *#06#.
If you see IMEI and matching with that on your box, there is no issue and you should stop.
If you see blank / error, process further

2) The EFS is corrupt and hence we don't see IMEIs. Follow this paget and get the EFS partition wiped out to properly prepare EFS for restore of xqcn in next steps.

I had restored xqcn file without wiping EFS partition and later on had issues. But all these issues were gone when first wiped EFS and then restored xqcn. So will suggest doing same.

3) Get the xqcn for our phone Zuk Z2 from here original credits to 唐大土土 and Nordicus who shared it here

Use HexEditor to search below default values and replace them with your devices value. IMEIs / MEID is available on box. MAC can be assumed suitably

MEID: 22 22 22 22 22 22 22
IMEI1: 33 33 33 33 33 33 33 33
IMEI2: 44 44 44 44 44 44 44 44
WIFIMAC: 55 55 55 55 55 55
BTMAC: 66 66 66 66 66 66

4) To be on safer side and avoid other variabilities, it is suggested to first flash QPST rom to ensure that apart from EFS all other partitions are fine. This is optional.

5) Now with rooted phone connected to PC, open command prompt on PC and go to adb folder. From there type these commands
Code:
adb shell 
su   (looking at the phone screen, as during this second command you need to grant root rights)
setprop sys.usb.config diag

Once done you will see in device manager 3 new com ports are open. If some errors or no success in getting com ports opened you can try following too
Code:
adb shell
su   (looking at the phone screen, as during this second command you need to grant root rights)
setprop sys.usb.config diag,rmnet,adb
setprop sys.usb.config diag,acm_smd,acm_tty,rmnet_bam,mass_storage,adb

6) In Device Manager, you will see a com port title Qualcomm Android Diagnosis etc, note the com no.

7) Open QPST, click "Add new port" and enter the port in both places (Port and Port Label), which is written in the device manager.
Next Click Start Client -> Software download. Go to Restore tab, and use the modified xqcn file which you saved in step 2 and press Start.
If any error, tick the check box "Allow phone/file ESN mismatch" and press Start

8) Once restore is 100% done, close the QPST and open the WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC, and put in the IMEIs and flash. You should see Green Pass.

9) Reboot phone and dial *#06# - the IMEIs should be seen. Bingo, job done... give me thanks. Just put in SIM and network should be back.

For Step 7, if more details required, pls refer this post with step by step details

Hope this helps !! I will be extremely happy if this guide helps you in restoring IMEIs, repairing lost network and radio issues.

Last edited:

rainbyte

Jul 13, 2017
Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
LG Leon
I had the lost IMEI problem before, but I did not need rooted phone to solve it. Just turn off the phone, then press Volume (-), and finally connect at the same time the usb cable (make sure drivers were installed before!). You will see 3 new devices, the important is the diagnostics one. Take note of the COM port, and you can use QFIL to backup/flash the qcn. All without root :D

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
I had the lost IMEI problem before, but I did not need rooted phone to solve it. Just turn off the phone, then press Volume (-), and finally connect at the same time the usb cable (make sure drivers were installed before!). You will see 3 new devices, the important is the diagnostics one. Take note of the COM port, and you can use QFIL to backup/flash the qcn. All without root :D

Interesting, was not aware of this. Is this EDL mode?

rainbyte

Jul 13, 2017
Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
LG Leon
Interesting, was not aware of this. Is this EDL mode?

I think is not EDL mode, because usb vendor and product ids are different. When I had the IMEI problem, I tried to restore qcn from EDL mode to no avail. After that, I found the suggestion of using Vol(-) and it worked, but it is a diffrent mode, because screen is not black in this one, it shows some options instead (sdcard flash, qcn restore, etc).

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
Please, write here a guide how to edit this values in HEX-editor.
Thanks in advance!

Pls refer below quoted text from OP

Use HexEditor to search below default values and replace them with your devices value. IMEIs / MEID is available on box. MAC can be assumed suitably

Use Search and replace feature of Hex Editor to replace above value with your device values

Last edited:

sergsinger

May 19, 2012
why don't you share small guide on same for other users now

It looks strange. I've asked you to do this, but now you ask me to write a small guide...

I've used Hex Workshop (it's not an advertisement, because I've tried to edit QCN-file with few different editors and they wasn't so friendly to use).

1) Open editor, choose QCN.
Press "Search" and put in data of MEID, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MACs:

!!! Please, notice, that Wi-Fi MAC, that you can see in menu of phone is shown as "54 55 55 55 55 55", but in editor it will be found as "55 55 55 55 55 55" and even in three places. I've changed in all three, because edition of one only doesn't change MAC after reboot.

3) Check after reboot:
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MACs are native
- MEID has changed, but it become upside down by group consist of 2 digits (first two digits are now in the end and so on). Problem was solved by "MEID/ESN Tool".
Press "Volume -" and "Power On/Off" (release Power after vibration) until you see "Menu from 0 to 5" (SD update...GetInfo). Connect phone to PC. Launch "MEID/ESN Tool", press "Initialize" (COM-port will be shown), then press button "MEID" and set checkbox "do MEID", enter native MEID (it is like IMEI w/o last digit; it is shown on the box and on the film from the back of the phone), press "Write".

!!! I've tried to change MEID in "MEID/ESN Tool" before QCN was edited, but this was unsuccessful, MEID didn't changed. MEID become native after I've edited QCN in hex-editor and then used "MEID/ESN Tool" as mentioned above.

4) The last one - recover native IMEIs. IMEIs were changed via programm "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)". Press "Volume -" and "Power On/Off" (release Power after vibration) until you see "Menu from 0 to 5" (SD update...GetInfo). Connect phone to PC. Launch "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)" and enter native IMEIs, press "Start". After reboot you will get native IMEIs.

!!! I've tried to edit IMEIs in hex-editor. But QCN include IMEIs consist of 16 digits, but regular IMEI consist of 15. I've replaced last (useless) number by pressing "space" on keyboard and after reboot there wasn't network. I've supposed that I need to put not a "space", but something like "leave an empty cell" in hex-editor. I haven't tried to do this because I have "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)".

Attachments

• MEID+ESN+Tool.zip
    632.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Write+Dual+IMEI+(W+G_eMMC).zip
    34.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
@sergsinger don't know why it's strange.. we can give back to xda community only by sharing our knowledge!

Since you had learnt and done it yourself, why not to share the same.

sunnythehoney

Aug 10, 2017
i try your method without rooting, but it didn't work, can you send me qcn file to edit for z2132, also to edit with hex editor is find and replace imei 3333...33 with our imei number is ok or there is other method, also where to look for meid.

mGforCe

Dec 3, 2007
Mumbai
i try your method without rooting, but it didn't work, can you send me qcn file to edit for z2132, also to edit with hex editor is find and replace imei 3333...33 with our imei number is ok or there is other method, also where to look for meid.
Pls read OP in detail...the xqcn file is shared there...also to write IMEI you will need tool WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC

Again pls read and download all tools as mentioned in OP as pre-requisite

sunnythehoney

Aug 10, 2017
Pls read OP in detail...the xqcn file is shared there...also to write IMEI you will need tool WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC

Again pls read and download all tools as mentioned in OP as pre-requisite
i download above 66...6.xqcn file posted above and edit with hexeditor by replacing meid:22.....22 by imei translator hex number. same for imei numbers and restore through qpst config. and then use writedualimei_w_g_emmc all operations shows no error completed successfully but after reboot when dial *#06# shows null meid or imei. now i am going to try by inverting meid no by inverting regular meid no. and imei in inverting pair and make first 8 as 8A. see what happen

badri21

Feb 24, 2016
Trichy
i download above 66...6.xqcn file posted above and edit with hexeditor by replacing meid:22.....22 by imei translator hex number. same for imei numbers and restore through qpst config. and then use writedualimei_w_g_emmc all operations shows no error completed successfully but after reboot when dial *#06# shows null meid or imei. now i am going to try by inverting meid no by inverting regular meid no. and imei in inverting pair and make first 8 as 8A. see what happen
where did you find your mied no i am having the same problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I accidentally restored TWRP backup of another Zuk Z2 phone on my new pgone and in this process over-wrote the EFS partition. This left me with a phone having no IMEI, no mac for Wifi and Bluetooth. Effectively No Network on phone.

Worried, I searched across internet to find out ways to restore IMEIs and get my phone working again. The way out was to restore xqcn file and use it to get back IMEIs, mac address etc. But there were various posts and mixed feedbacks. Even when I restored modified xqcn and got IMEIs back, it had only one sim actually working and other had no signal.

I spent many hours searching for finding right steps. It was a long tiring process wherein close to 2 days were gone trying multiple methods, flashing QPST roms around 10 times to observe network in Stock ROM , in Custom ROMs and after reflashing etc etc etc . Shouts go out to Akrapovic & Nordicus for their detailed posts which helped me in understanding lot many things and also finalizing key steps to restore IMEIs, MAC etc and getting phone working

Pre-requisites:

1) QPST installed on PC; Download v 2.7.453 from here or elsewhere if you know of
    2) ADB / Fastboot installed
    3) Drivers Installed for Zuk Z2
    4) Hex Editor to edit xcqn file
    5) WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC - to write IMEIs once xqcn has been restored
    6) Zuk Z2 rooted with ADB enabled through developer options and connected to computer

For points 2 and 5, pls refer here to download the files and tools.

So the solution which worked for me, and one which has been tried and tested is following:

1) First check the IMEIs dialing *#06#.
    If you see IMEI and matching with that on your box, there is no issue and you should stop.
    If you see blank / error, process further

2) The EFS is corrupt and hence we don't see IMEIs. Follow this paget and get the EFS partition wiped out to properly prepare EFS for restore of xqcn in next steps.

I had restored xqcn file without wiping EFS partition and later on had issues. But all these issues were gone when first wiped EFS and then restored xqcn. So will suggest doing same.

3) Get the xqcn for our phone Zuk Z2 from here original credits to 唐大土土 and Nordicus who shared it here

4) To be on safer side and avoid other variabilities, it is suggested to first flash QPST rom to ensure that apart from EFS all other partitions are fine. This is optional.

5) Now with rooted phone connected to PC, open command prompt on PC and go to adb folder. From there type these commands
    Code:
    adb shell 
    setprop sys.usb.config diag

Once done you will see in device manager 3 new com ports are open. If some errors or no success in getting com ports opened you can try following too
    Code:
    adb shell
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,rmnet,adb
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,acm_smd,acm_tty,rmnet_bam,mass_storage,adb

6) In Device Manager, you will see a com port title Qualcomm Android Diagnosis etc, note the com no.

7) Open QPST, click "Add new port" and enter the port in both places (Port and Port Label), which is written in the device manager.
    Next Click Start Client -> Software download. Go to Restore tab, and use the modified xqcn file which you saved in step 2 and press Start.
    If any error, tick the check box "Allow phone/file ESN mismatch" and press Start

8) Once restore is 100% done, close the QPST and open the WriteDualIMEI_W_G_eMMC, and put in the IMEIs and flash. You should see Green Pass.

9) Reboot phone and dial *#06# - the IMEIs should be seen. Bingo, job done... give me thanks. Just put in SIM and network should be back.

For Step 7, if more details required, pls refer this post with step by step details

Hope this helps !! I will be extremely happy if this guide helps you in restoring IMEIs, repairing lost network and radio issues.
    why don't you share small guide on same for other users now

It looks strange. I've asked you to do this, but now you ask me to write a small guide...

I've used Hex Workshop (it's not an advertisement, because I've tried to edit QCN-file with few different editors and they wasn't so friendly to use).

1) Open editor, choose QCN.
    Press "Search" and put in data of MEID, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MACs:

!!! Please, notice, that Wi-Fi MAC, that you can see in menu of phone is shown as "54 55 55 55 55 55", but in editor it will be found as "55 55 55 55 55 55" and even in three places. I've changed in all three, because edition of one only doesn't change MAC after reboot.

3) Check after reboot:
    - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth MACs are native
    - MEID has changed, but it become upside down by group consist of 2 digits (first two digits are now in the end and so on). Problem was solved by "MEID/ESN Tool".
    Press "Volume -" and "Power On/Off" (release Power after vibration) until you see "Menu from 0 to 5" (SD update...GetInfo). Connect phone to PC. Launch "MEID/ESN Tool", press "Initialize" (COM-port will be shown), then press button "MEID" and set checkbox "do MEID", enter native MEID (it is like IMEI w/o last digit; it is shown on the box and on the film from the back of the phone), press "Write".

!!! I've tried to change MEID in "MEID/ESN Tool" before QCN was edited, but this was unsuccessful, MEID didn't changed. MEID become native after I've edited QCN in hex-editor and then used "MEID/ESN Tool" as mentioned above.

4) The last one - recover native IMEIs. IMEIs were changed via programm "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)". Press "Volume -" and "Power On/Off" (release Power after vibration) until you see "Menu from 0 to 5" (SD update...GetInfo). Connect phone to PC. Launch "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)" and enter native IMEIs, press "Start". After reboot you will get native IMEIs.

!!! I've tried to edit IMEIs in hex-editor. But QCN include IMEIs consist of 16 digits, but regular IMEI consist of 15. I've replaced last (useless) number by pressing "space" on keyboard and after reboot there wasn't network. I've supposed that I need to put not a "space", but something like "leave an empty cell" in hex-editor. I haven't tried to do this because I have "WriteDualIMEI(W+G_eMMC)".
    @jefferzombie - thanks for sharing your experience. Indeed there seems to be multiple reasons for missing signals - lost IMEIs, mismatched basebands, corrupted EFS what not.

It is hence important to share what all learnings we have so that might help someone else.
    Guys, after about 8 months my phone got no signal issue. I try all the methods but none works. In my case, my phone not lost the imei and meid, wifi and bluetooth works fine, when i put *#06# on dial, it shows the correct imei from both sims. I gave up and troll it in drawer. Buyed a Moto G5 Plus to fill in the column. But last night i gave another try on Zuk and now it work!

i flash ZUI 1.9, and this version locked my bootloader again. than flash Zui 2.5 via qfil, than update to Zui 3.5 OTA.
    Unlock and flash TWRP, than flash TWRP Treble, flash gerenic treble GSI. i do this before gave up and not work, still the same problem, imei is fine but no signal from operator on both sims.

But last night i flash the new TWRP Treble, this new version modify the partition scheme from the first version from Vache's first TWRP Treble. So i flash the AEX 5.7 (not the GSI, the non Treble version) and my sim card now works!

I don't know what exactly happens, but maybe the new partition scheme move some data that system can see now, and can't see before

I found here https://forum.xda-developers.com/lenovo-zuk-z2/how-to/z2plus-treble-roms-flashing-reverting-t3778287

This TWRP Treble https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=5862345805528044154

And this AEX Rom https://downloads.aospextended.com/download/eHByd29iWmM2S045MU0xMEo3Z3RpNVZoRHN4NlFEN29HY2ZqcU9rMDdwYz0=

So, if someone got the same problem, maybe it can be solved like for me.

i will continue testing this week and report here.
    Reserved

Reserved for FAQs and other experiences.