• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Restore softbricked phone after Lollipop update

Search This thread
G

GI0\/\NNI

FIRST OF ALL

(Also for downgrading to KitKat without softbricked phone!)

Okay, I decided to do the OTA to lollipop, everything went fine. So after some use I decided to play with the /system partition. I formatted it without making a working backup so my phone was kinda softbricked. REMEMBER THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HARDBRICKED BOOTLOADERS, you guys have to wait.

SO WHAT TO DO?

1. Plug your phone into fastboot in your pc.
2. Flash a custom recovery, like CWM, I know you'll have a screen rimble effect due the new bootloader (doesn't matter)
3. Open recovery and keep it plugged into PC, recovery will have adb on by default so leave recovery as it is.
4. Open CMD and type:
Code:
cd directory-with-adb.exe-and-fastboot.exe-etc.
(I assume that you guys know how to use adb and fastboot with CMD)
5. Type:
Code:
adb devices
6. Your Moto's serial number should show up in the attached devices list (serialnumber, recovery), if not download the driver installer from http://adbdriver.com
7. Now download a firmware flashable zip to the directory in your CMD (CyanogenMod or stock firmwares from here)
8. Now you have to make sure you are able to mount the /sdcard in recovery: To make sure do a /data and media wipe. (Also helps on GPe ROM and the encryption problem!)
9. Now you can push the downloaded zip to the phone's sdcard using:
Code:
adb push yourrom.zip /sdcard/yourrom.zip
It will take some time.
10. Now you can install but you may face a not working SIM or WiFi, you need to download a .xml.zip firmware corresponding to your just flashed version. Navigate to your firmware folder using CMD. Then type:
Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
11. Now your phone should work. You will have that annoying screen rimble. Sometimes it's gone, just turn screen off for a few minutes. It will be fixed when you install the stock recovery and then flash an lollipop OTA zip just like before! (OTA's will still show up and works with updating :D )

WARNING!

SOME GUYS MADE A HUGE MISTAKE AND BRICKED THEIR BOOTLOADER. THEY FLASHED LOLLIPOP OTA, THEN DOWNGRADED TO 4.4.2 AND THEY TRIED TO UPDATE TO 4.4.4 BY OTA!
THAT RUINED THE BOOTLOADER SEE BELOW!

FOR HARDBRICKED DEVICES

You ruined your bootloader, we need a mbm-ci (blankflasher tool) with the 5.0 bootloader. We have to wait till Motorola releases it. So no support yet.
Sorry guys, that was the risk!

HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THIS TUTORIAL!

Last edited:

mostwantedxda

Sep 4, 2012
Cochin
plus.google.com
restore

FIRST OF ALL

Okay, I decided to do the OTA to lollipop, everything went fine. So after some use I decided to play with the /system partition. I formatted it without making a working backup so my phone was kinda softbricked. REMEMBER THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR HARDBRICKED BOOTLOADERS, you guys have to wait.

SO WHAT TO DO?

1. Plug your phone into fastboot in your pc.
2. Flash a custom recovery, like CWM, I know you'll have a screen rimble effect due the new bootloader (doesn't matter)
3. Open recovery and keep it plugged into PC, recovery will have adb on by default so leave recovery as it is.
4. Open CMD and type:
Code:
cd directory-with-adb.exe-and-fastboot.exe-etc.
(I assume that you guys know how to use adb and fastboot with CMD)
5. Type:
Code:
adb devices
6. Your Moto's serial number should show up in the attached devices list (serialnumber, recovery), if not download the driver installer from http://adbdriver.com
7. Now download a firmware flashable zip to the directory in your CMD (CyanogenMod or stock firmwares from here)
8. Now you have to make sure you are able to mount the /sdcard in recovery: To make sure do a /data and media wipe. (Also helps on GPe ROM and the encryption problem!)
9. Now you can push the downloaded zip to the phone's sdcard using:
Code:
adb push yourrom.zip /sdcard/yourrom.zip
It will take some time.
10. Now you can install but you may face a not working SIM or WiFi, you need to download a .xml.zip firmware corresponding to your just flashed version. Navigate to your firmware folder using CMD. Then type:
Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
11. Now your phone should work. You will have that annoying screen rimble. Sometimes it's gone but not sure. It will be fixed when you install the stock recovery and then flash an lollipop OTA zip just like before! (OTA's will still show up and works with updating :D )

FOR HARDBRICKED DEVICES

You ruined your bootloader, we need a mbm-ci (blankflasher tool) with the 5.0 bootloader. We have to wait till Motorola releases it. So no support yet.
Sorry guys, that was the risk!

HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THIS TUTORIAL!

thanks for this guide
but my phone is not bricked ,can i downgrade 5.0 to 4.4.4
because my moto g is asian retail, i already installed brasil firmware and ota file

hunterhere

Nov 17, 2012
Hi I have updated my Asian XT 1033 to brazil 5.0 but experienced NO NETWORK on both the sim cards... and now i downgraded to my asian 4.4.4 but still NO NETWORK on both sim cards... Please help .... m worried :( ;(

poran123

Aug 12, 2012
Shillong

ganeshkmr21

Jul 26, 2013
Hyderabad
Adb drivers not recoganizing.

when i plug in the phone some drivers get installed.
but my phone is not showing up in adb devices.
i flashed CMW & am running Windows 10 x64 :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 566

não-soi-jo

Sep 2, 2011
Help!!!!!

I have XT1033 and i was on brazilian 5.0 soak test, after that i convert my phone to downgrade to gpe 4.4.4 and everything was fine but then i wanted to go back to stock 4.4.4 brazilian and now im stuck at the boot logo.

these are the commands i used to convert from 5.0 brazilian soak test to gpe 4.4.4

mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot reboot

and these are the commands i used to convert from gpe 4.4.4 to stock brazilian 4.4.4

SET fastboot=fastboot.exe
fastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot.exe reboot-bootloader
fastboot.exe continue
fastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot.exe erase modemst1
fastboot.exe erase modemst2
fastboot.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot.exe erase cache
fastboot.exe erase userdata
fastboot.exe reboot
exit

did i softbricked my phone or hardbricked ?

Lucas Amaral

Dec 11, 2014
brick my moto g

My motog is brick , I updated to 5.0 and shifted in build.prop file, not launched yet , I could not successfully restore it then installed the rom 4.4.2 , then updated to 4.4.3 and when he went to 4.4.4 he gave brick and does not want to , what I do?

I'm desperate since yesterday :crying:

MadL1fe

Aug 28, 2014
My motog is brick , I updated to 5.0 and shifted in build.prop file, not launched yet , I could not successfully restore it then installed the rom 4.4.2 , then updated to 4.4.3 and when he went to 4.4.4 he gave brick and does not want to , what I do?

i'm with you, brother....i have same problem...waiting for solution

samsontm

Jul 27, 2010

Did you read first page before flash? It s clearly stated there that some ppl bricked phones when flashed 4.4.2 then upto 4.4.3 and so on. Please next time read all that its writed...

G

GI0\/\NNI

when i plug in the phone some drivers get installed.
but my phone is not showing up in adb devices.
i flashed CMW & am running Windows 10 x64 :confused:

Read OP, install adbdriver!

I have XT1033 and i was on brazilian 5.0 soak test, after that i convert my phone to downgrade to gpe 4.4.4 and everything was fine but then i wanted to go back to stock 4.4.4 brazilian and now im stuck at the boot logo.

these are the commands i used to convert from 5.0 brazilian soak test to gpe 4.4.4

mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot reboot

and these are the commands i used to convert from gpe 4.4.4 to stock brazilian 4.4.4

SET fastboot=fastboot.exe
fastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot.exe reboot-bootloader
fastboot.exe continue
fastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot.exe erase modemst1
fastboot.exe erase modemst2
fastboot.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot.exe erase cache
fastboot.exe erase userdata
fastboot.exe reboot
exit

did i softbricked my phone or hardbricked ?

Just follow the guide! Flashing with fastboot won't work so flash custom recovery and push a 4.4.4 stock zip.

READ OP! You didn't read it properly so you made a huge mistake!

i'm with you, brother....i have same problem...waiting for solution

Same... You should have read the OP!

Did you read first page before flash? It s clearly stated there that some ppl bricked phones when flashed 4.4.2 then upto 4.4.3 and so on. Please next time read all that its writed...

Totally agree with you....

hunterhere

Nov 17, 2012
@hunterhere,

I think I found a solution!

1. Download and extract zip
2. Connect phone in fastboot mode to your PC
3. Run IMEI_fix_gio.bat
4. Should work now!

Hey I flashed this file now the change is that previously my both the IMEI(S) were showing 0 now 1st one is showing 0 but 2nd one has changed to null.
Secondly i request you to please come and join the below mentioned thread and please please help us all who have erased IMEI(S) with your knowledge and skills.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/help/info-moto-g-imei0-t2925970

Edit: can you help in telling me how you modified this fsg_gio.img file? Or if you have got it from somewhere else please point...
As it is a very important file and a developer on above mentioned thread needs to know how this file got modified this will lead us further in restoring the imei numbers... as because moto g is made in a very different way... there is a lot of encryption done in its partitions which is very difficult to decrypt.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks so much for this guide, it pretty much saved my phone :eek: (UK XT1032)

Once my phone was back up and running with this I was still determined to get Lollipop installed but it wouldn't work on this version.

To achieve it I installed GPE from this post
    When you flash this it will give errors about the /system directory being the wrong size but it will work.

Once that was installed I let it boot up once but didn't change anything and then used ADB to sideload the OTA file from this post

I then let that boot up and did a factory reset to tidy everything up.

Phone is now running perfectly on Lollipop :eek: