• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] Return stock without latest RUU

Search This thread

hokoonho

Jul 13, 2012
Who should read this post?
You have updated your One X to a newer version via OTA, then you want to restore the software/ return stock but the latest RUU is not available. (boot to fastboot mode and type the following command "fastboot getvar version-main", This is the true version of your phone!)
You have some basic skills to flash things using "fastboot"
Those who want to back to stock and wait for the JB OTA.
Those with ICS hboot should works without any problem, someone had test it on JB hboot and works(updated in step 6, 7). but we need more testers.

The concept behind.
1. Fool the RUU to make it believe that it is flashing the latest ROM, but actually, we are flashing an older version.
2. after that, boot up the phone with older version of software, then OTA and update the phone to latest software.

How to do that?

0. backup all your stuff including those in SD, all your stuff in your phone will be lost. Then wipe all data (including SD) using your custom recovery. (important! Otherwise, you may not be able to receive OTA).

1. You have to download a "custom RUU" that can be found here.
http://db.tt/z8ajRTuH
Feel free to give a thanks to billd2439, he provide this working link to download the custom RUU.
Just go to #115 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35139501#post35139501 and give him a thanks

2. Download the ROM file, it should be in zip format. (You can also extract the rom file by running a RUU, just run the RUU, don't click anything and search the computer for "rom.zip") (In my case, I have an older version 1.29.708.15 rom extracted from RUU)
you may want to find RUU here http://www.htcruu.com

3. unzip the customRUU.zip to a folder, e.g. "customRUU"

4. unzip and extract "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" to a folder

5. open android-info.txt with "notepad" (notepad++ is highly recommended)

6. type the following command to get the information from your phone.
fastboot getvar all

you should pay attention to the following information
modelid:
cidnum:
mainver:
hbootpreupdate:

7. edit the value of "modelid", "cidnum", "mainver" and "hbootpreupdate" to match the information you get from step 6.
by doing this your will try to fool the RUU to belive that you are going to flash a newer version e.g (I have OTA my phone to 2.17.708.7, but now I want to fool the RUU with this old rom with a version number of 1.29.708.15, so I change the value to 2.17.708.7 )
Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me to modify hbootpreupdate to makes JB downgrade works

8. save the file.

9. zip "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" and rename the zip to "rom.zip". (remember only zip the files, not the whole folder!)

10. place the "rom.zip" you just created to the "customRUU" folder

11. make sure your phone is still "unlock", remember to turn on USB Debugging, unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone, then goto fastboot mode and connect the USB cable.
(important, do the above to avoid error messages in RUU)

12. run the file "ARUWizard.exe" inside the folder "customRUU" (see the Attached Readme_Eng.pdf if the customRUU cannot display in correct language)
You can change the customRUU to English version by just delete or rename the language file "ARUWizard_Eng.lng" (Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me this :good:)

13. follow the on screen instruction,

14. your phone should reboot and boot up with and old version of software.

15. restart the phone and go to fastboot mode.

16. extract the "recovery_signed.img" from your old "rom.zip" (not the rom.zip you create! ) and place it to some where.

17. flash the recovery by typing the following command "fastboot flash recovery recover_signed.img"

18. relock the phone

19. boot up the phone and try OTA

18. if the OTA download finish but fail to reboot to recovery update automatically, just manually boot to recovery and the update will be ok.:D

If you can return stock with this method, please reply and list the version here. And you can give me a "thanks" :good:

Attachments

• ReadMe_Eng.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,701
Last edited:

HebeGuess

May 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I wonder, if you put in the "rom.zip" the "hboot_0.95.0000.img" from an older RUU will you be able to downgrade the 1.28 hboot also?

They are somebody on chinese forum who use this method claimed he was able to do hboot downgrade through this method, but no one seem suceed so for.

Well, technically this method able to get you spoof ROM version because it check on your PC. While for hboot it validate the signature and version on the phone before upgrading itself. You can see the process if you push the firmware yourself via fastboot.

ionut.micu

Nov 24, 2009
Bucharest
They are somebody on chinese forum who use this method claimed he was able to do hboot downgrade through this method, but no one seem suceed so for.

Well, technically this method able to get you spoof ROM version because it check on your PC. While for hboot it validate the signature and version on the phone before upgrading itself. You can see the process if you push the firmware yourself via fastboot.

What if we hex edit the 0.95.0000 before we put it into the rom.zip to make it think that it's a newer version, will that brake the signature?
Sorry but I don't have the guts to try it myself :)

darckreign1984

Oct 28, 2007
romania iasi
a good link

You have updated your One X to a newer version via OTA, then you want to restore the software/ return stock but the latest RUU is not available.

The concept behind.
1. Fool the RUU to make it believe that it is flashing the latest ROM, but actually, we are flashing an older version.
2. after that, boot up the phone with older version of software, then OTA and update the phone to latest software.

How to do that?

0. backup all your stuff including those in SD, all your stuff in your phone will be lost.

1. You have to download a "custom RUU" that can be found here (you can also found a rom that for One X for HK only).
http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=64762&uk=1042525484
If your phone is from other region, you may want to find the rom or RUU here http://www.htcruu.com

2. Download the ROM file, it should be in zip format. (You can also extract the rom file by running a RUU, just run the RUU, don't click anything and search the computer for "rom.zip") (In my case, I have an older version 1.29.708.15 rom extracted from RUU)

4. unzip and extract "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" to a folder

6. edit the value of"cidnum" to match your phone, e.g. ("HTC__622" for HK, "HTC__621" for Taiwan)

7. edit the value of "mainver" to the current software version your phone. e.g (I have OTA my phone to 2.17.708.7, but now I want to fool the RUU with this old rom with a version number of 1.29.708.15, so I change the value to 2.17.708.7 )

8. save the file.

9. zip "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" and rename the zip to "rom.zip". (remember only zip the files, not the whole folder!)

11. make sure your phone is still "unlock"

12. run the file "ARUWizard.exe" inside the folder "customRUU"

14. your phone should reboot and boot with and old version of software.

16. extract the "recovery_signed.img" from your old "rom.zip" (not the rom.zip you create! ) and place it to some where.

17. flash the recovery by typing the following command "fastboot flash recovery recover_signed.img"

18. relock the phone

18. if the OTA download finish but fail to reboot to recovery update automatically, just manually boot to recovery and the update will be ok.:D

link to custom ruu its dead. any alternative?

lukems

Jun 11, 2012
I have followed the instructions, and now I am at the point where I run "ARUWizard" and follow the onscreen instructions...

However, The test is not English, it is funny looking as if the language is corrupt/unrecognised.

See attachment.

Any advice?

Attachments

• ARUWizard.jpg
    ARUWizard.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 692

hokoonho

Jul 13, 2012
I have followed the instructions, and now I am at the point where I run "ARUWizard" and follow the onscreen instructions...

However, The test is not English, it is funny looking as if the language is corrupt/unrecognised.

See attachment.

Any advice?

It's OK, The RUU may not be able to select the right language to display, but It still works, since the RUU only use adb and fastboot to finish its process, and all these adb and fastboot are run in English...

A brief translation was made for those cannot Open the customRUU in correct language. go to OP for the pdf file

Last edited:

lukems

Jun 11, 2012
It's OK, The RUU may not be able to select the right language to display, but It still works, since the RUU only use adb and fastboot to finish its process, and all these adb and fastboot are run in English...
I am translating the Text to English and will upload a guide, just follow the guide to click the buttons... wait for a few minutes please.

No problem, I have found an English version.

I am finding that I get a Error 170 USB error... I believe this is because I have an unlocked bootloader.

So I re-locked the bootloader... and found myself unable to get past the bootloader.

I managed to run the RUU whilst phone was at the bootloader screen,
Replaced the temp rom.img with the created rom.img in your guide,
But it ended up failing with a Error 132 signature check.

I am not sure how to proceed.

iigrs

Jan 15, 2011

I am finding that I get a Error 170 USB error... I believe this is because I have an unlocked bootloader.

So I re-locked the bootloader... and found myself unable to get past the bootloader.

Could you provide a ling to the English version you've got ? Thanks

hokoonho

Jul 13, 2012

Don't relock at this moment, otherwise, you will not be able to flash the stock recovery. Unlock it first. Make sure USB debugging is on, then REBOOT to fastboot and start the RUU. Or...Try another USB cable, DON'T connect via a USB hub...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Reactions: lukems

lukems

Jun 11, 2012
Don't relock at this moment, otherwise, you will not be able to flash the stock recovery. Unlock it first. Make sure USB debugging is on, then REBOOT to fastboot and start the RUU. Or...Try another USB cable, DON'T connect via a USB hub...

Ok will try now.

Edit: I am now waiting for it to finish... we will see soon enough if it works.

Screenshot showing upgrade screen uploaded.

Edit 2: It completed successfully

build downgraded from 2.17.401.2 to 1.28.771.9

Attachments

• ARUWizard2.jpg
    ARUWizard2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:

hokoonho

Jul 13, 2012

See attachment.

Any advice?

I have updated step 11. should disconnect the USB cable during reboot. If it still not work, restart both your phone and PC.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have updated your One X to a newer version via OTA, then you want to restore the software/ return stock but the latest RUU is not available. (boot to fastboot mode and type the following command "fastboot getvar version-main", This is the true version of your phone!)
    Those with ICS hboot should works without any problem, someone had test it on JB hboot and works(updated in step 6, 7). but we need more testers.

The concept behind.

How to do that?

0. backup all your stuff including those in SD, all your stuff in your phone will be lost. Then wipe all data (including SD) using your custom recovery. (important! Otherwise, you may not be able to receive OTA).

1. You have to download a "custom RUU" that can be found here.
    Feel free to give a thanks to billd2439, he provide this working link to download the custom RUU.
    Just go to #115 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35139501#post35139501 and give him a thanks

you may want to find RUU here http://www.htcruu.com

6. type the following command to get the information from your phone.
    fastboot getvar all

you should pay attention to the following information
    modelid:
    cidnum:
    mainver:
    hbootpreupdate:

7. edit the value of "modelid", "cidnum", "mainver" and "hbootpreupdate" to match the information you get from step 6.
    by doing this your will try to fool the RUU to belive that you are going to flash a newer version e.g (I have OTA my phone to 2.17.708.7, but now I want to fool the RUU with this old rom with a version number of 1.29.708.15, so I change the value to 2.17.708.7 )
    Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me to modify hbootpreupdate to makes JB downgrade works

8. save the file.

11. make sure your phone is still "unlock", remember to turn on USB Debugging, unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone, then goto fastboot mode and connect the USB cable.
    (important, do the above to avoid error messages in RUU)

12. run the file "ARUWizard.exe" inside the folder "customRUU" (see the Attached Readme_Eng.pdf if the customRUU cannot display in correct language)
    You can change the customRUU to English version by just delete or rename the language file "ARUWizard_Eng.lng" (Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me this :good:)

14. your phone should reboot and boot up with and old version of software.

18. relock the phone

If you can return stock with this method, please reply and list the version here. And you can give me a "thanks" :good:
    download

Hi Folks,

Not my file but I am aware the link keeps going down. I have put a copy in this dropbox folder,please feel free to use it.

Please feel free to hit the Thanks button !!
    Works perfectly in my HTC One X

CID: T-MOB101
    Hboot: 1.39
    Versión main: 3.14.111.28 (JB)

Now versión main: 1.29.111.1 (ICS)

Thanks
    Hi.I'd like to ask,i followed every step with major care....my phone had cwm recovery installed and 2.17 orange rom before starting....i downloaded orange UK 1.29.061.11 rom and after running ARUwizard i am at sending for about 30 mins now...I am trying to revert it back to stock to get OTA's up to hboot 314 so i can go custom roms again....
    Boot loader is unlocked and rom.zip theoretically compliled correctly ...
    If you want to flash a custom JB rom, you only need to update the hboot. Use this firmware.zip file and then:
    1. Relock bootloader - fastboot oem lock
    2. Boot to ruu mode - fastboot oem rebootRUU
    3. Flash firmware - fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if you get an error, rerun this command)
    4. Unlock bootloader - fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    5. Flash custom recovery - fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryfile.img

Then flash boot.img from your rom of choice and then flash rom.zip via Recovery. Please take a backup of all important files on device as well as on sd card as phone memory will be wiped and for some users their sd cards were wiped as well.