[GUIDE] Return to stock for Canadian HTC One M8 (2014)

Search This thread

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
Trying to get my wife's M8 back to stock so I can update the firmware. Been doing some research and it looks like I need this file:

Rogers 2.23.631.2 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.18

The link however does not work any longer. Would someone have this particular file they could share?

Thanks!!

The results of fastboot getvar all would be a better help. Remove serial and IMEI numbers before posting.

Reactions: xonelith

xonelith

Jul 12, 2013
Whitby
The results of fastboot getvar all would be a better help. Remove serial and IMEI numbers before posting.

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.23.631.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B16000
(bootloader) cidnum: ROGER001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 23c984e1
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Maybe a bit OT, but currently having an issue where the phone battery is at 100% but will only boot if it's plugged in. Tried a few different combinations of holding buttons down for 2 mins but still having the issue. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
Thanks for the reply.

Here's the getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.09G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.23.631.2
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B16000
(bootloader) cidnum: ROGER001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 23c984e1
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Maybe a bit OT, but currently having an issue where the phone battery is at 100% but will only boot if it's plugged in. Tried a few different combinations of holding buttons down for 2 mins but still having the issue. Any suggestions?

I have no idea about the power on function. I would suggest you ask the owner of this thread if he has a copy of your backup. He has a later version posted, so may have the one you need.

Reactions: xonelith

TheOneNoob!

Nov 21, 2015
HTC One M8 Telus

Hi, I have followed all of the steps, and now I am on stock Telus android 5.0.1 and the stock recovery, S-ON, Relocked, Modified
I have a few errors I would like to share.
First of all, when I did fastboot oem lock in fastboot mode, I received an error,
(bootloader) [PGFS] partition_update_pgfs: pg1fs_security
(bootloader) Lock successfully…
(bootloader) deinit_lcd
(bootloader) mipi display off
(bootloader) mdp_clock_off
(bootloader) turn off fd8c2308 failed 1 times. Try again…
(bootloader) disable_mmss_clk done
(bootloader) pll1_disable done
(bootloader) TZ_HTC_SVC_DISABLE ret = -1610744452 (0x9FFDFD7C)
(bootloader) [CRITICAL] SPMI write command failure: cmd_id =
0, error
(bootloader) = 4
(bootloader) [CRITICAL] SPMI write command failure: cmd_id =
0, error
(bootloader) = 4
(bootloader) [INFO] Rebooting device
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.153s

But, it does say relocked so....I am thinking it worked...
Also, whenever I load the stock recovery I get this error (I don't have an SD Card inserted):
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_yes
(Code -1)
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg_no
(Code -1)
Write host_mode success
handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard, 1 times
handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard, 2 times
handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard, 3 times
handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard, 4 times
handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard, 5 times

I am waiting for the OTA from Telus to Android M.
Thanks for your help, please explain to me why I have these errors.
:D

iTchill

Jan 4, 2012
hey guys just got back from gpe conversion , looking for 1.12.631.17 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.16
anyone have a working link ?
thanks

Last edited:

maxiordoqui

Aug 18, 2011
hello, i have a telus001 Cid phone on 4.4.4 with HBOOT 3.19, Im S-OFF with unlocked Bootloader. I want to go back to 4.4.2, but all telus links are not working. The only one working is BELL CANADA CID number which has HBOOT 3.16
Being S_OFF and unlocked will i brick my phone if i restore the BELL Backup of 4.4.2 with hboot 3.16?

tongcruise

Sep 29, 2016
Which TWRP backup should I use?

Hi

I read through the entire thread and didnt seem like anyone else have my problem. I have an M8 from an unknown source and would like to receive OTA updates.

S-ON
HBoot-3.16
CID-BM___001
Main-1.12.631.17

Notice the main points to "631" which is Rogers and CID points to BM which is Bell. Since I have S-ON and cannot change CID, which firmware should I be flashing? Thank you in advance!

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
Hi

I read through the entire thread and didnt seem like anyone else have my problem. I have an M8 from an unknown source and would like to receive OTA updates.

S-ON
HBoot-3.16
CID-BM___001
Main-1.12.631.17

Notice the main points to "631" which is Rogers and CID points to BM which is Bell. Since I have S-ON and cannot change CID, which firmware should I be flashing? Thank you in advance!
You need to Soff first in this situation to change Cid. Or live on custom Roms.

LikeABot

Oct 13, 2016
Anyone still have the Rogers 3.34.631.4 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.19 file? Maybe @exocetdj? I tried the link but it is dead.

I have a M8 which won't play any audio or video, since upgrading to lollipop and am trying to go back. I have tried installing cyanogenmod but the issue still persists. Hoping that going back to a pre-lollipop build will fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
HTC 10
Google Pixel 2 XL
Anyone still have the Rogers 3.34.631.4 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.19 file? Maybe @exocetdj? I tried the link but it is dead.

I have a M8 which won't play any audio or video, since upgrading to lollipop and am trying to go back. I have tried installing cyanogenmod but the issue still persists. Hoping that going back to a pre-lollipop build will fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can get it from here in post #2.

Reactions: LikeABot

abhijin

Oct 11, 2016
Hey, I'm running CM14.1, S-On and need to S-Off. When I installed Sunshine it said that I need to get back to stock ROM or something close to that.

I got my HTC M8 from my sister and I know previously it was running on Rogers, can I use your guide and flash a previous version? Also, if you could help me with which one should I flash that would really help me.

ahmed.ismael

Oct 14, 2015
Hey, I'm running CM14.1, S-On and need to S-Off. When I installed Sunshine it said that I need to get back to stock ROM or something close to that.

I got my HTC M8 from my sister and I know previously it was running on Rogers, can I use your guide and flash a previous version? Also, if you could help me with which one should I flash that would really help me.
Cid & mid ? To provide what you need

This might help...

When i achieved s-off using sunshine i was on stock sense rom with unlocked bootloader but the temp root method ( with in sunshine ) didn't work as it should so i flashed rooted gpe rom and used sunshine with no issues

Flash any rooted rom and try again with sunshine

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs

Reactions: abhijin

kyddox

Oct 26, 2009
Mexico
Today I followed this guide to revert to stock my Canadian device, I don't know if our originally was Rogers or Telus, I changed from super cid to ROGER001 and did the steps carefully 1 by 1, everything was successful, stock lollipop with sense 6 and stock recovery working perfectly, I relocked the hboot and then installed OTA's, 2 or 4 updates was installed perfectly, when installing mm OTA update my phone rebooted and start installing the update, 5 minutes later the screen went black, I let it about 1 and half hour because it said it can take about 60 minutes, when I tried to do something with the m8 it was cold, no signs of life, no led, no battery charging notification no hboot no nothing, I applied the OTA with about 60% of battery and connected to the charger.

Any idea of how to unbrick it? Please help me

abhijin

Oct 11, 2016
Same issue

Thanks so much for the guide.

I got to step #7 and it says "Failed - E: No partitions selected for restore".
Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

I am using TWRP

Thanks in advance

I have the same issue. Don't know what I am doing wrong. Read through the thread as well but can't find anything. Any pointers?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is similiar to what I created for HTC One M7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2529225

Preface:
    1. Knowledge of ADB/Fastboot commands. Can't save your phone otherwise!
    2. Can read instructions. I dont believe in hand-holding.

Steps to Restoring Stock Firmware on your Canadian HTC One M8:
    1. Download your respective nandroid TWRP backup from below:

CID - BM___001

Bell 1.55.666.4 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.16: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567722629
    Bell 2.23.666.2 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.18: NEEDED!
    Bell 3.34.666.4 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.19: NEEDED!

CID - TELUS001

Telus 1.x.661.x - TWRP - HBOOT 3.16: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../2014-04-02--20-26-55 KOT49H release-keys.zip
    Telus 2.23.661.2 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.18: NEEDED!
    Telus 3.34.661.4 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.19: https://mega.co.nz/#!Up1G0TzS!0gcKEs5WfKxJgFbb95nupF__MQDmQKwaj2bT8E03msw
    KEY: 0gcKEs5WfKxJgFbb95nupF__MQDmQKwaj2bT8E03msw
    Telus 4.20.661.2 - TWRP - HBOOT 3.x: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934523013

2. Download latest custom recovery. You need to get the same one as the one you are restoring. So if a backup was done using TWRP, you need to install TWRP to recover.
    TWRP: https://twrp.me/devices/htconem8gsm.html
    PhilZ: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/m8
    CWM:

3. Reboot your device in fastboot and flash custom recovery

4. Reboot into recovery and do a backup of what you have working now (very important)

5. Boot back into OS

6. Unzip the nandroid backup folder and copy it to your \\SDCARD\TWRP\BACKUPS\######\somefolder\ (TWRP Only; CWM/Philz restore path is \sdcard\clockworkmod\backups\)

7. Reboot back into custom recovery and restore the nandroid backup file

8. Reboot, your phone should be booting into your carrier firmware

**Jump to Return to Warranty Section below, if you need to S-ON/etc**

9. Verify all is WORKING OK, then flash stock recovery,

10. Boot into OS and do a factory to reset to VERIFY that stock recovery is there and doing its job. You should NOT be seeing your phone boot to CWM/Philz/TWRP for factory reset.

11. Lock bootloader: fastboot oem lock

12. You will be able to receive OTA from your carrier. Enjoy

Return to Warranty-able State (No guarentees):
    **DO NOT CONTINUE, IF ALL YOU NEED IS TO GET BACK TO STOCK FIRMWARE AND DONT NEED TO SEND THE PHONE BACK TO WARRANTY**

1. Root (Assuming you are working onwards from after step # 8 above)

2. S-Off: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708464 or Sunshine: http://theroot.ninja/

3. Verify all is WORKING OK, then flash stock recovery

4. Remove *Tempered* text from bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708565

5. Lock your bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708571

6. Unroot from SuperSU app.

7. S-On if you must, highly NOT suggested. command: fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

8. Reboot/factory reset a FEW TIMES to verify **Tampered** text doesn't come back in the bootloader menu. If it does, sorry no fix yet.

For quick S-OFF for free, if you are in Montreal area in Canada, PM @efrant.

Credits:
    @scotty1223 - HBOOT editing
    @Mr Hofs - Stock firmware
    @nkk71 - HTC One M7 Guru
    @brar.arsh - Rogers Backup
    @exad - Telus Backup
    @Canadianreaper - Bell 1.55.666.4.zip Backups
    @k.s.deviate - Thanks for Rogers 2.23.631.2
    @shaboobla - Thanks for Telus 3.34.661.4
    @exocetdj - Thanks for Rogers 3.34.631.4
    @shaboobla - Thanks for TELUS 4.20.661.2
    @ikeny - Thanks for Rogers 4.20.631.2
    @pacificnw - Thanks for Rogers 4.20.631.2
    Here's Telus Stock backup and Recovery

TWRP Nandroid

Stock Recovery
    Hey guys I just updated to the lastest OTA (2.23.661.2 on Telus) and I now want to do a nandroid using TWRP before I to anything else but when I try to BOOT TWRP from fastboot this is what I get

Desktop\Root HTC One M8\platform-tools>fastboot boot recovery
    .img
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [ 1.321s]
    booting...
    OKAY [ 0.002s]
    finished. total time: 1.323s

why is it saying boot.img? I don't want to flash TRWP yet because I want the stock recovery for future OTAs.
    Then my phone reboots the system like normal... I've done this before and worked like a charm... why not now? what am I doing wrong?

Said the same nonsense to me and didn't want to boot no matter what. TWRP seems like more hassle than it's worth 90% of the time. Philz Touch booted no problem so maybe try that if you want.

Else if you just want to make a backup of the stock recovery. If you're rooted then connect phone to pc, open command prompt for adb/fastboot.

It should be mmcblk0p43, you can also just check and make sure before going into shell(Very first step then)
    Code:
    adb shell cat /proc/emmc

Get partition number for recovery applicable to your device, for WWE it's 43, just make sure about yours from code above. I'll be using mmcblk0p43 as default for my device for the code, JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT NUMBER FOR YOUR DEVICE, JUST IN CASE!!!

Code:
    adb shell

su     - [I][B]to gain # root privileges, remember to accept prompt on device when it comes up[/B][/I].

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img     - or
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard2/recovery.img   - if you want it on external sd card

After you made a copy of the recovery block(partition) you can pull it from the device with adb pull and it'll drop it in your adb folder.

Code:
    exit     - to exit shell prompt and go back into normal adb prompt
    adb pull /sdcard/recovery.img

Just use the correct sdcard location you used, that is, if you used internal it'll be /sdcard/recovery.img if it was on external card like example code above then just use ...pull /sdcard2/recovery.img

There you made a backup of recovery and you can flash TWRP/Philz which ever you want and make a nandroid backup like normal. Philz however will make a backup of recovery if you boot that so...Your call then.
    Submitted to the OP, but I thought I'd also post here:

I made a Bell TWRP backup of my stock ROM, I did however include the formatted data partition, which I now realize I could have deleted. I also uploaded the radio, which I confirmed to be the same modem as the Rogers one.

Bell.cidnum.BM____001.TWRP.stock.backup.1.55.666.4.zip
    md5: da2a77d19119a79e00041a9aecaf6a9a

Bell.radio.1.16.2133156.UA10G.img
    md5: 812a2e4f86ae968484ca57c148204aa0

So I could grab that Bell or TELUS recovery, toss it on to my phone and I'd be set? I'm just trying to get myself ready for when the next OS update (4.4.4) comes out. And then I'll make a backup of my phone...

The recovery is the same for all variants of the m8. Just find the recovery for your firmware version here. You will need an unmodified system partition (root is fine) and unmodified build.prop. You can factory reset if you're on the stock ROM after you flash the stock recovery above, and you will be 100% set. If you are S-Off, you can also try the Unlocked version or Developer conversion which I did, which gets OTA updates from HTC weeks before the carriers push them out. I'm on 4.4.3 already on stock developer edition rom :)

EDIT:

Here is the 2.23 OTA for Bell, from 1.55.666.4. Inside the firmware.zip is the stock radio and recovery for 2.23.666.2 :) Enjoy.
    OTA_M8_UL_K44_SENSE60_MR_BM_2.23.666.2-1.55.666.4_release_387334.zip
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone