[GUIDE] Revert, rollback, or downgrade Nvidia Shield TV Experience Upgrade +DATA LOSS

Search This thread

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Hi all!
Hope I could get some help. So I have a 2017 16gb model and was able to downgrade(7>6.3) and deleted the TegraOTA in TWRP but having an issue with Android TV Remote Service has stopped window that pops up on the welcome screen. Prevents me from moving any further. Any way to get this working? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

vfusion

May 8, 2007
I think I successfully downgraded my Shield TV (2017) back to 6.3. (without flashing userdata.img)
I've used the following steps:

1) download NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2017 Developer Only OS Image 6.3.0
2) flash with minimal adb and fastboot -> flash-all.bat
3) After flashing I was unable to enter fastboot using my shield controller by holding a + b during boot.
Using a keyboard (rapoo wireless with bluetooth dongle) I was able to boot in fastboot again.
Maybe it had something to do with my keyboard but it would seem very random when it would work or not.
Usually after trying 3 times plugging the power and holding a + b on my keyboard would start fastboot.
4) boot into twrp (3.1.1.-1) -> fastboot boot twrprecovery.img
5) in twrp -> wipe -> data, cache, dalvik cache
7) mount system, writeable
8) advanced -> filesystem -> remove tegra ota folder (/system/priv-app/TegraOTA)
6) flash supersu (2.79)
9) reboot

So far my controller and remote are working fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: xSam-H

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
I think I successfully downgraded my Shield TV (2017) back to 6.3. (without flashing userdata.img)

3) After flashing I was unable to enter fastboot using my shield controller by holding a + b during boot.
Using a keyboard (rapoo wireless with bluetooth dongle) I was able to boot in fastboot again.
Maybe it had something to do with my keyboard but it would seem very random when it would work or not.
Usually after trying 3 times plugging the power and holding a + b on my keyboard would start fastboot.
8) advanced -> filesystem -> remove tegra ota folder (/system/priv-app/TegraOTA)
6) flash supersu (2.79)
9) reboot

I did just this and it worked. Hmm wonder what went wrong the first time. Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmTheRobin

Aug 9, 2011
Is there a reason for using the developer image and not the stock image? Also would it matter if I already updated my controller to latest firmware?

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Is there a reason for using the developer image and not the stock image? Also would it matter if I already updated my controller to latest firmware?

As far as I know, there isn't much of a difference. Most of the time the developer image would still be in beta and would include root level access as the stock would not. You can read more about that here. As for the controller you should be fine.

DummyPLUG

Dec 18, 2007
Hong Kong
For ShieldTV 2017 16GB downgrade from 7.02 to 6.3 is easy, you don't need userdata.img at all, the key to success is wipe data after flash 6.3, so

1. Flash the recovery/developer image as usual, no need to flash userdata.img at all
2. reboot and get into fastboot, either by using the controller or keyboard, I found it is a little bit tricky on 6.x which it not always able to get into fastboot (should be firmware problem as I see this since 6.0), just try a few more time and it will finally get into it
3. In fastboot select "Boot Recovery Kernel"
4. when you see the dead android, press B
5. select "wipe data/factory reset"
6. reboot

now you are back on 6.3
p.s. block access to ota.nvidia.com prevent force update to 7.x again

Last edited:

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Done mine over 5 times updated and downgraded, but this time I've got stuck on the nvidia logo then it goes black and I can't get adb after trying to boot TWRP.

The pc chimes but I see the shield as Targa but I cannot boot up or access adb or fastboot, and can t even boot to bootloader the hardware way.

Yeah this happened to me as well. I had the hardest time trying to boot into the bootloader. I was finally able to do so using a wired pc keyboard. The chime I always heard on the pc was just after the logo appeared on the screen and not immediate so I knew fastboot/adb wouldn’t work . I would recommend trying to wipe again in TWRP if your still able to get in. At this point the controller is out of the question so a wired keyboard is needed.

Last edited:

smcinaz

Mar 19, 2016
Please Help A Non-Techie Do This

Iwould really appreciate some help. I truly hate this 7.0 and just want it back to 6.3 again. Problem is I am not familiar with the terms, etc, mentioned here. If it can be done in relatively simple steps for a non-programmer type, esp if no connection to a computer is involved, I and hundreds of others would appreciate directions. Can I download the old data source file on a usb stick, then go to fast boot mode and somehow get the old version back on? A bonus would be to block any future "upgrades" as well. I was forced to 7 because my shield locked up on the startup screen for some unknown reason and in order to get the box working again, I had to factory reset it and in doing so, had 7 shoved upon my box.
If you could write up a simplified version, it would be incredibly appreciated. My main issue with 7 is the apps are smaller and harder to see, and I have very poor vision. I do not need nor want any of the rest of this other new stuff, either.
Many thanks in advance.

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Iwould really appreciate some help. I truly hate this 7.0 and just want it back to 6.3 again. Problem is I am not familiar with the terms, etc, mentioned here. If it can be done in relatively simple steps for a non-programmer type, esp if no connection to a computer is involved, I and hundreds of others would appreciate directions. Can I download the old data source file on a usb stick, then go to fast boot mode and somehow get the old version back on? A bonus would be to block any future "upgrades" as well. I was forced to 7 because my shield locked up on the startup screen for some unknown reason and in order to get the box working again, I had to factory reset it and in doing so, had 7 shoved upon my box.

If you could write up a simplified version, it would be incredibly appreciated. My main issue with 7 is the apps are smaller and harder to see, and I have very poor vision. I do not need nor want any of the rest of this other new stuff, either.

Many thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you need a computer in order to revert back to 6.3.

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
anyone having shield 2015 version tried to downgrade ??? it seems need some extra usb cable to do this ?

i cant take it anymore. my shieldtv totally unusable.

Yeah you need a male to male usb cable. You can order them for about $4-$6 usd on amazon. How is you shield unusable?

rkaede

keeps constant reboot in random way. tried factory reset from recovery. its just unstable. if i keep it on without opening any apps. it would be fine. but as soon as i open some apps. updating play store apps. netflix. etc. it will have random reboots. sometime it stuck at nvidia bootscreen.

bubbablacksmith

Feb 24, 2017
Yeah you need a male to male usb cable. You can order them for about $4-$6 usd on amazon. How is you shield unusable?

Actually that is required for the 2017 model. The 2015 model uses the micro-usb port on the Shield for usb debugging.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

anyone having shield 2015 version tried to downgrade ??? it seems need some extra usb cable to do this ?
i cant take it anymore. my shieldtv totally unusable.

Enable developer options
Turn on USB debugging
Connect a micro-USB cable to Shield's micro-USB port and connect other standard end into your PC
A pop-up on your Shield should appear asking to authorize the connection, accept it.

Now you will have a connection going between your 2015 Shield and PC.
As long as you have Minimal ADB and Fastboot + the Shield family drivers installed + the older 6.3 recovery image downloaded, you should be good to go.

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Actually that is required for the 2017 model. The 2015 model uses the micro-usb port on the Shield for usb debugging.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Enable developer options
Turn on USB debugging
Connect a micro-USB cable to Shield's micro-USB port and connect other standard end into your PC
A pop-up on your Shield should appear asking to authorize the connection, accept it.

As long as you have Minimal ADB and Fastboot + the Shield family drivers installed + the older 6.3 recovery image downloaded, you should be good to go.

You are right. My mistake.

xSam-H

Jun 7, 2012
Thanks! I'm now back on 6.3 and rooted with TWRP :)

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Thanks! I'm now back on 6.3, rooted with TWRP :)

6) flash supersu (2.79)
9) reboot

Illiyan

Aug 27, 2018
Hello,

I am looking for downgrading to 6.3 a 2015 Shield TV but I am stuck during the 2nd step of flash-all.sh > fastboot flash boot boot.img

I am on MacOS X 10.13 with a minimal installation of ADB / Fastboot installed using brew with no specific driver installed.

I have done all the previous step:
- Download the right ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging
- Launch "adb reboot bootloader"
- "fastboot oem unlock" => Already unlock

HTML:
$ fastboot devices
042..001eb	fastboot

$ fastboot flash staging blob
Sending 'staging' (3619 KB)                        OKAY [  0.117s]
Writing 'staging'                                  OKAY [  0.176s]
Finished. Total time: 0.306s

$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
=> And nothing just wait more than 4 hours and nothing append if i cancel I just reboot and I get back to Android Oreo.

Thank you by advance, if somebody have an idea :good:
Fabien

rkaede

Enable developer options
Turn on USB debugging

thanks for this. going to try it soon. how long we need to spent for the downgrading ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTICE: Several users have reported issues downgrading from v7.2.x, so it might require some additional experimentation to downgrade from that version.

-

Missing your screenshot or twitch streaming functionality? Hate the new launcher layout w/ its tiny one row of icons and its numerous rows of psychologically-aggressive suggestion imposition?

Well, now you can stop cursing at Nvidia, because they provided a way (albiet, a highly technical and mostly-undocumented way), to load any version of their OS that you choose.

I've seen others wanting to downgrade (including myself), so I've collected the relevant steps which I used to successfully revert to an earlier version. This guide assumes a bit of technical working knowledge, so I apologize if you are one of the 'normal' people that Nvidia has bulldozed over...

All the usual "don't blame me for bricked devices" caveats apply.... please be careful, know what each step does! research each step!

Best of luck...

0 - prereqs
    • make sure your PC & nvidia shield are both plugged into a UPS, b/c a power failure during a flashing operation is not very pleasant.
    • make sure you have (or do get) the adb & fastboot binaries ("commands") for your computer
    • make sure that you get all your userdata off the device, because it will be erased by this process

1 - using a web browser
    1. register for an nvidia developer account (which you will have an opportunity to do if you attempt the next step)
    2. download the 6.3 'developer os' rom for your particular model
      https: //developer.nvidia.com/shield-developer-os-images (sorry, noob filter won't allow the real/clickable url)​

NB: The 6.3 developer rom for the 2017 console is missing the userdata.img, there are currently no reports (on this thread) if a different userimage (pre-6.3 or for the 2015 version) works on the 2017 console (testers welcome!).

NB: if the cost of being identified as a developer offends you (i.e. yielding a name, company, email, etc), then you can probably dig up a link to the roms in the comments or elsewhere on the xda forums.

2 - on the device
    1. enable developer mode by clicking the 'build' entry in settings->info
    2. enable usb debugging in settings->developer-options
    3. plug it into your computer using the usb port furthest from the hdmi port

3 - in a terminal
    1. unzip the downloaded rom & cd into the resulting directory
    2. edit the 'flash-all.sh' script to add the following line just before the final reboot:
      fastboot flash userdata userdata.img​
    3. #(this will add even more wall-time to the flashing process, but will clobber the already-erased newer 7.0 user partition data with the old)
    4. adb reboot bootloader
    5. fastboot oem unlock && ./flash-all.sh

NB: Now confirm your willingness to lose all your data. On the 2015 'pro' version of the console, this is accomplished by pressing (or holding) the nvidia logo 'button'... AND WILL TAKE NEARLY TWO HOURS. Others use the x/y/a/b buttons on the game controller connected to the usb port nearest to the hdmi port.

[... time passes ...]

NB: the 7.0 to 6.3 was a clean backstep for me, but if you are going between other versions, I can see that this script might stall in the middle if the device does not come back up with adb services available... in which case you will need to enter fastboot manually using a hardware method.

4 - Break TegraOTA

You have now flushed the correct version onto your device, but we can't complete the setup process... if you were to try, the final step would immediately and automatically start downloading & applying the latest (7.0) experience update! Therefore, we must neuter the updater itself.

Still in the terminal:
    1. adb root
    2. adb remount
    3. adb shell
    4. # now these commands are run in the adb shell (technically on the phone through the PC terminal)
    5. # the first path was the right one for me, but I'm putting here all the paths known to me in case you are using a different version
    6. rm -rf /system/priv-app/TegraOTA
    7. rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA
    8. rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA.apk
    9. sync
    10. reboot

5 - you should now be able to setup and pain-stakingly reconfigure your nvidia shield to the way it was before you blindly trusted an OEM update without doing extensive research beforehand.

PS: if you fear that netflix or amazon-video will at some point stop working because of this process, you might wish to "fastboot oem lock" the device (knowing that an unlock will erase your user-data, but having the developer rom means you can always get root access via adb).

I hope you find this useful.
    I thought it would boot up, but im still stuck on the android loading screen!
    Ill try to reflash the rom again tonight.

update:
    I got it to work now, without update having to update to 7.0.2
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash staging blob
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot

//waiting for nvidia logo and the Windows PC to make the connection noise
    //otherwise you can check by typing
    adb devices 
    // if it shows something then continue

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot reboot

once it booted it up, i went thru the procedure of setting it up with my network and google account, then the window pop-up "downloading version 7.0.2" then i followed the guide in the first post

Code:
    adb root
    adb remount
    adb shell
    # now these commands are run in the adb shell (technically on the phone through the PC terminal)
    # the first path was the right one for me, but I'm putting here all the paths known to me in case you are using a different version
    rm -rf /system/priv-app/TegraOTA
    rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA
    rm -rf /system/app/TegraOTA.apk
    sync
    reboot

after that it booted up into android 7 with not OTA update notification.

thank you!
    Is it possible for me to downgrade my shield tv I just bought yesterday nib which updated during setup to 7.2 back down to 7.1? I want to root on 7.1 so I could play PUBG mobile with my game controller.

Reverting to 7.1 is supposed to be as easy as flashing the previous image available from nvidia. However, I attempted to flash back to 7.1 and am now stuck at the nvidia boot logo. I cannot boot stock recovery or TWRP due to the kernel change. I do not suggest trying it until they at least post the 7.2 full update, which I am patiently waiting for so I can try to revive mine. I am very familiar with flashing devices, especially this as I used to use the rooted developer image, however, they managed to screw something up with 7.2.
    Can someone post the user userimage files from a stock recovery file, for the 2017 16gb version.

My unit is stuck at the Google boot screen, and without the userimage, I have lost fast boot commands.

I can get to fastboot mode, and I can see the device in adb devices. It's just the fastboot commands won't execute anything anymore.....

Is a Userdata.img from 6.3. 2015 16gb,in 6.3 2017 is not a userdata
    Hi
    I can confirm that it is possible to downgrade a Shield 2017 with 8.0 to 6.3 and nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2017-6.3.0.zip. The Shield was not rooted. I had no problems with the downgrade.
    After downgrade you have to block "ota-downloads.nvidia.com" and "ota.nvidia.com" with a Firewall or Pi-hole. I was amazed that the downgrade worked without problems. Apparently there were problems to get from 7.2 back to 6.3. I am now looking forward to the sharp picture and without washed-out colors. I hope that helps others

Downloaded from developer dot nvidia dot com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20TV%202017&tx=$additional,shield

And with this instructions from Nvidia:
    *******************************************************************************
    SHIELD RECOVERY IMAGE FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS

To follow the instructions in this guide, you require the "adb" and "fastboot
    utilities. These tools are provided as part of the Android SDK:
    developer dot android dot com/sdk/index.html

To setup the tools, follow one of Google's guides:
    developer dot android dot com/tools/help/adb.html#Enabling
    developers dot google dot com/cast/docs/android_tv#adb-usb

If you are running Windows and the standard Google adb USB driver does not
    detect the SHIELD device, you can use NVIDIA's driver:
    developer dot nvidia dot com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20Family%20Windows%20USB

ENTERING FASTBOOT MODE
    To begin, connect your SHIELD via USB to the PC where you downloaded this recovery image.
    - Insert a USB OTG cable and connect the other end to the host PC
    - Setup adb using one of the guides above

Next, put your SHIELD into fastboot mode using one of the following methods:

Software Method:
    - Boot the into Android
    - Connect the device to the host PC
    - Open terminal (on linux); command prompt (on windows).
    - Type "adb reboot bootloader" at the prompt

Hardware Method:
    - Disconnect power cable
    - Connect power cable to SHIELD
    - As soon as the green LED turns on -BUT NOT BEFORE- hold down the power button
    - Count to three, then immediately release the power button
    - i.e. one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand.. LIFT!
    - You should now see the fastboot menu on the screen.
    - If the standard boot process starts, disconnect the power cable and repeat
    the process increasing the count in the previous step to 4.

NOTE: You should leave the HDMI TV connected to SHIELD at all times.

FASTBOOT MENU NAVIGATION
    Once in fastboot mode, navigate the menus using the power button.
    - Single tap the power button to move between menu items
    - Hold down the power button for 4 seconds and release to select a menu item

UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER
    Your SHIELD may have shipped with a locked bootloader. To update the device,
    you must unlock the bootloader using the following command on the host PC:
    - fastboot oem unlock

That command triggers a new page on the device headed '!!! READ THE FOLLOWING !!!'
    - Read the warning on the screen
    - To unlock the bootloader, select 'Confirm'

WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader securely formats the user data partition. This
    process PERMANENTLY DELETES all data such as photos, music and downloads that
    have previously been stored on the device.

NOTE: On the SHIELD Android TV Pro (500GB unit), the unlock process WILL take
    around two hours (ie 120 minutes) due to the large size of the hard drive. This
    is a security precaution and cannot be avoided.

FLASHING THE DEVICE
    To flash the recovery image to your SHIELD, download and unpack the recovery
    image package. From the unpack directory, execute the commands below for your
    particular upgrade path.

If this is the first time you have done this procedure, you must unlock the
    bootloader (see above step).

* SHIELD UNITS WITH ANDROID LOLLIPOP OR LOWER
    If your SHIELD device OS is currently running Android Lollipop or lower
    (i.e. the Android version is less than 6.0) or you are unsure of the OS
    version, follow these intructions:

*** Prerequisites:
    1. Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked (see above step)
    2. Ensure USB debugging is enabled and adb is working (when not
    in fastboot mode)

*** Flashing instructions:
    1. Execute these commands IN ORDER on the host PC:

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot reboot
    adb wait-for-device
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot reboot

NOTE: If the "adb wait-for-device" step does not complete within
    5 minutes, you can try re-entering fastboot mode using the
    "Hardware Method" given in the "ENTERING FASTBOOT MODE" step above. Then
    execute the rest of the commands after "adb reboot bootloader".

* SHIELD UNITS WITH ANDROID MARSHMALLOW OR NEWER
    If you are CERTAIN that your SHIELD device OS is currently running Android
    Marshmallow or newer (i.e. the Android version is 6.0 or greater), follow
    these intructions:

*** Prerequisites:
    1. Ensure that the bootloader is unlocked (see above step)

*** Flashing instructions:
    1. Execute these commands on the host PC:

fastboot reboot