• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Rollback/downgrade from OOS Android 10/Q to stable 9/Pie

Search This thread

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
Hey there 1+ friends from around the globe!

The fairly recent upgrade to OOS Android Q/10 has gone smooth for some but horrible for others. OnePlus acknowledges this and has released a rollback zip to install via the known 'upgrade' method. I've put this up for users that have depleted other methods around the forum to resolve their endless issues but can still boot into the system. I have no idea if it can be flashed in (encrypted) TWRP recovery (anyone?).

This will wipe your data! Make backups before proceeding!
Do not attempt this on a T-Mobile device! Thank you @Scott for the heads up.

This will bring you back to 9.0.4! Thanks for the feedback, @NIK3SH

1. Download the OnePlus 6T rollback zip and wait for the agonizingly slow download to complete
    MD5: 54ede6b7887f295cf8564904693cda34
  2. Backups, backups, backups! :cyclops:
  3. Copy the zip to the root of your internal storage
  4. Go to Settings > System > System Updates
  5. Tap the gear icon top right, followed by 'Local upgrade'
  6. Tap the "Fulldowngrade..." package you just downloaded
  7. Read the warning and tap confirm
  8. Wipe away a little tear as you see your precious data being viciously destroyed by a progress bar
  9. Start fresh! Hmm, that does feel pretty good...

There's also a rollback package for the OnePlus 6 here.

I take no credits for this! I didn't test it either as I was one of the lucky people that experienced a smooth (beta) upgrade. It's just here for people that need it. If you'd like to contribute to this post by adding more confirmed methods to downgrade, be my guest and I'll add them to this OP with credits. Threads like these are handy to refer to instead of writing the same answer over and over in other threads.

I'd love to hear your feedback! Cheers!

Last edited:

juanshop

May 3, 2010
Thank you for that! But excuse my ignorance, would this work for a converted TMobile to int. Version? Or I am stuck?
Thank you again :)

swiftbones74

Mar 13, 2017
Taos New Mexico
Thank you for that! But excuse my ignorance, would this work for a converted TMobile to int. Version? Or I am stuck?

It says right here in the op that he has no idea.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191109-171335_XDA_Labs__01.png
    Screenshot_20191109-171335_XDA_Labs__01.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,519

juanshop

May 3, 2010
Doesn't mention anything specific to my situation, so thought I asked. Thanks tho. ?

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
Doesn't mention anything specific to my situation, so thought I asked. Thanks tho. [emoji849]
Of course that's a very good question (don't mind grumpy :p). Sadly, OnePlus' documentation on this is practically worthless. It's as if only one type of this device exists while we surely know there's a difference. I believe it'll work but I can't make any promises. Worst case you just have to MSMTool it. Either way, data loss is ensured. Yay OnePlus! [emoji2357]

Wrapped with delicious Fajita [emoji896]

Reactions: juanshop

juanshop

May 3, 2010
Of course that's a very good question (don't mind grumpy :p). Sadly, OnePlus' documentation on this is practically worthless. It's as if only one type of this device exists while we surely know there's a difference. I believe it'll work but I can't make any promises. Worst case you just have to MSMTool it. Either way, data loss is ensured. Yay OnePlus! [emoji2357]

Thanks for that my dude! Will go ahead and back up my data and give it a try tomorrow if I am feeling brave and report back.

Thank you again ??

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
Maaaaannnn. (im in the southeast lol) i downgraded the painful way yesterday. Thats awesome that you have the rollback zip, though. Much appreciated!!

Basically, all of my themes are missing bits and pieces for OOS 10 and OP is super slow releasing kernel source, so ive been stuck with bad battery life and partial or broken themes. A few tweaks in 10 will be missed for now (better system sounds, GUI tweaks, better display settings and appearance) but ultimately, OOS 9 still checks all the boxes for me. Seriously, thank you for this!!

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer

This DOES NOT WORK for T-Mobile. Causes the hardware / software mismatch

juanshop

May 3, 2010
i was about to report the same thing lol does not work, but i was able to recover the device quickly with the msmtool and i am back to 9 and rooted as well.

Reactions: Scott

juanshop

May 3, 2010

pbergonzi

Jun 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
By Data loss, does it mean it will erase Internal memory contents too or just the system partition content?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there 1+ friends from around the globe!

The fairly recent upgrade to OOS Android Q/10 has gone smooth for some but horrible for others. OnePlus acknowledges this and has released a rollback zip to install via the known 'upgrade' method. I've put this up for users that have depleted other methods around the forum to resolve their endless issues but can still boot into the system. I have no idea if it can be flashed in (encrypted) TWRP recovery (anyone?).

This will wipe your data! Make backups before proceeding!
    Do not attempt this on a T-Mobile device! Thank you @Scott for the heads up.

This will bring you back to 9.0.4! Thanks for the feedback, @NIK3SH

1. Download the OnePlus 6T rollback zip and wait for the agonizingly slow download to complete
      MD5: 54ede6b7887f295cf8564904693cda34
    2. Backups, backups, backups! :cyclops:
    3. Copy the zip to the root of your internal storage
    4. Go to Settings > System > System Updates
    5. Tap the gear icon top right, followed by 'Local upgrade'
    6. Tap the "Fulldowngrade..." package you just downloaded
    7. Read the warning and tap confirm
    8. Wipe away a little tear as you see your precious data being viciously destroyed by a progress bar
    9. Start fresh! Hmm, that does feel pretty good...

There's also a rollback package for the OnePlus 6 here.

I take no credits for this! I didn't test it either as I was one of the lucky people that experienced a smooth (beta) upgrade. It's just here for people that need it. If you'd like to contribute to this post by adding more confirmed methods to downgrade, be my guest and I'll add them to this OP with credits. Threads like these are handy to refer to instead of writing the same answer over and over in other threads.

I'd love to hear your feedback! Cheers!
    @Scott @juanshop Did you use the T-Mobile MSMTool from this thread? Or is there something more recent available?

No, I used the Int version and the hacked EXE so I would not loose bootloader unlock capability.
    I wish you good luck friend and I bet it's not going to cost much at all. if anything. I've heard that OnePlus is pretty cool about fixing bricks. I also think the fact that you bought the phone straight from OnePlus will help your situation. It does suck that there's not more aftermarket development for the McLaren variant because it's a sweet phone.
    The lack of dev support is the main reason(aside from thriftiness) I don't see myself ever buying one though. I think it will work out fine for you but please keep us posted.

Well, I just got the update from them. They want $315 to replace the motherboard and battery saying that the warranty won't cover the issues. When I contacted them, the phone was about a week and a half out of warranty. So it seems like they really don't care about their customers anymore if the device is out of warranty. This sucks because I need a phone, but if I'm gonna spend $315 to fix this one, I might as well throw another $100 towards it and get a used 7 Pro from swappa.
    Doesn't mention anything specific to my situation, so thought I asked. Thanks tho. [emoji849]

i was about to report the same thing lol does not work, but i was able to recover the device quickly with the msmtool and i am back to 9 and rooted as well.