• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUİDE] [ROM] [10] How to install Pixel Experience ROM for Redmi 8 [GSI]

Search This thread

sessionid0

Jun 4, 2020
First of all, the download link of all the files required for this "ROM" is taken from the "xda developers forum" posts.
I was constantly experimenting with GSI roms for Redmi 8. I was able to install the Pixel ROM on Redmi 8. I don't think you will have a problem if you follow the steps I shared with you one by one.

I do not take responsibility for the ROM. RESPONSIBILITY IS ENTIRELY YOURS.

Not working
-Face unlock
-Radio
-VoLTE

(You need to make a setting for the camera, notch, LTE Mobile Network and auto-brightness. I told you how to make the settings.)

NOTE: A computer is required to make this ROM setup. It must also be installed in ADB on your computer.
Note: You can install this ROM Google Camera as apk. Unfortunately, there are no features such as Portrait, night mode in the original camera application of the device. However, you can use it if you install it as an apk.

Please download that files:
Download - Pixel Experience ROM GSI file
Download --- Sky Hawk Recovery file
Download - Permissiver V5
Download -Certification Patch for Redmi 8
Download -Treble overlay for Redmi 8
Download --- Lastest Magisk-v20.4
Here -Get the TWRP Official for Redmi 8
Download - vbmeta.img

Note: Please charge your phone at least 60%
First, take the necessary backups as your phone will be completely reset.

1- Unlock your bootloader. For unlocking follow this: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
2- Copy all the files to your SD Card (PixelExperience_ARM64AB-10.0-20200118-2138-GSI.img, SHRP_v2.2.zip, Permissiver_v5.zip, Certification_Patch.zip, Magisk-v20.4.zip, treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk)
3-Enable USB debugging. Connect the phone your computer Then copy the twrp.img and vbmeta.img files to the adb folder.
Note: If the name of your twrp file is not twrp.img, please set its name to twrp.img.
4- Go to your computer, open adb folder in cmd, write that:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

5- Now we will go to the restart phone command. At that moment, you should quickly hold down the volume up key and power button of your phone. Enter this command:
fastboot reboot
Then, hold down the power button with quick boost and turn on twrp.
6- Install Magisk-v20.4.zip in twrp.
Then restart the phone. After the phone reboots, check if Magisk is installed. Once you see it installed, reboot the phone in recovery mode.
7- Install SHRP_v2.2_olive.zip then reboot recovery.
8- Now find the wipe button and tap it. Then press the format data and confirm by typing yes.
9- Then tap wipe again and click on the wipe button at the bottom right.
10- Tap the wipe again and tap on advanced wipe. Select the Dalvik, data, cache, system partitions and reset them.
11- Now return to the main menu screen and tap flash. Select your SD card in the lower right section and tap the PixelExperience_ARM64AB-10.0-20200118-2138-GSI.img file. Then select it as system image and install it.
12- Return to the main menu and come to the flash section and install the file Permissiver_v5.zip.
13- Then go back to the flash section and install the Certification_Patch.zip file.
14- Return to the main menu, tap wipe and complete the wipe from the button on the bottom right.
15- Reboot the system. Your device will either boot in fastboot mode or be bootloop. (If you see it open normally and no problems occur, you can skip step 18.)
16- Go to fastboot mode.
17- Connect the phone to the computer and open the adb folder on cmd. Type:
fastboot reboot recovery

The phone will reboot and turn on. Please set up the phone and turn USB debugging back on.
18- After doing setup and enabling usb debugging, reboot to recovery mode and install magisk.zip. Then reboot the phone.
19- Install build prop editor(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor&hl=en&pli=1) and root browser(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en) from the Play Store.
20- Open root browser and allow root access then go to your SD card and find treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk
21- Copy to treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk on Root Directory/system/overlay/ folder.
22- Select treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk file on overlay folder and tap the three dots in the top right and tap the properties.
23- Click on the Permissions at the top bar.
24- Select like this photo (link: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...VrSOGT_V9Q2bzgy5IuE9nIfPslILJ1Vz=w429-h904-no ) and click apply then reboot system.
25- Open the build prop editor and allow root access. then tap the 3 dots in the upper right and tap new.
name= persist.camera.HAL3.enabled
value= 1
Set it to and save it. Restart the system.
26- Go to the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*. Tap Phone information and set "set preffered network type: LTE only." Then reboot system.
27- Finally, if you want to fix the appearance of the screen notch go to
developer settings >> display cutout and select corner cutout.

That was it. Please note that I am not a developer, so I cannot resolve any errors. I believe that if you apply them like me, you won't have a problem. I will be waiting for your comments. Have a nice day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200623-084025.jpg
    Screenshot_20200623-084025.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,516
  • Screenshot_20200623-084032.jpg
    Screenshot_20200623-084032.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,546
  • Screenshot_20200623-084044.png
    Screenshot_20200623-084044.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,533
  • Screenshot_20200623-084056.png
    Screenshot_20200623-084056.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,536
Last edited:
Reactions: Abdul Aziz Shakib

hrwt20

Dec 22, 2015
Query before flashing

Hello Boss,
on checking the system by "Treble Check" app, it is showing that it is A-type System partition. And the ROM you suggested is AB type. Is there any thing i should worry about before flashing.

I am currently using Lineage OS (unofficial), and following functions doesn't work on it.
Finger print
VOLTE
Radio
face unlock

What about this ROM functionality.

sessionid0

Jun 4, 2020
Hello Boss,
on checking the system by "Treble Check" app, it is showing that it is A-type System partition. And the ROM you suggested is AB type. Is there any thing i should worry about before flashing.

I am currently using Lineage OS (unofficial), and following functions doesn't work on it.
Finger print
VOLTE
Radio
face unlock

At first I tried installing A-only on my device but it didn't work. It worked when I installed A / B. So please try A / B GSI. Because the device you have is probably A / B, not A-Only.

Finger print is working and face unlock is not have in Pixel Experience ROM.
VOLTE and Radio is not working bro.

I will list all the features that work by edit the post today or tommorrow bro

coolboyforeva

Nov 24, 2012
Certification_patch.zip

Whats the use for certification_patch.zip file?
Does it fixes the certification status in google play store?

Also, Can this file be used in any othe gsi too?

SuperLolMine

Jan 12, 2017
Hello Boss,

Finger print
VOLTE
Radio
face unlock

Before system-as-root was used only on A/B devices but now all devices that ship with Android 9 must use system-as-root. Because of this reason you need to flash A/B roms on A-Only on these devices. As you can see from this page's device list, Redmi 8's image type is A/B so you need to flash an A/B image: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki

May 21, 2018
i tried it and the sensors didn't work. i needed to flash stock rom and then pixel rom over the stock rom to get it work. seems logical, had no issue so far except the camcorder. when i record a video, lets say i recorded a video for 10 second. but when i play the video, it becomes 1hour video and the sound doesn't sync with the video. video stays frozen the whole time and plays normally at the last few seconds. i tried other gsi and had the same issue. is something wrong? any known solution? are you facing the same problem? if not, then which camera app you are using? thanks in advance because pixel experience is working now after following ur steps

kouseralamin

Jul 20, 2020
i tried it and the sensors didn't work. i needed to flash stock rom and then pixel rom over the stock rom to get it work. seems logical, had no issue so far except the camcorder. when i record a video, lets say i recorded a video for 10 second. but when i play the video, it becomes 1hour video and the sound doesn't sync with the video. video stays frozen the whole time and plays normally at the last few seconds. i tried other gsi and had the same issue. is something wrong? any known solution? are you facing the same problem? if not, then which camera app you are using? thanks in advance because pixel experience is working now after following ur steps

I use havocOs gsi. It has same problem. Solution:
1. record a video.
2. do not close camera app.
3. open video from the camera app not from gallery.
4. play the video once.

if that plays then you can open that same video from any app.

try that, might work.

May 21, 2018
1. record a video.
4. play the video once.

try that, might work.

it works sometimes but not always.. Currently I am using Havoc OS and it doesn't have a gallery app. So I downloaded "Gallery Go" from playstore and when I try to open the video from the camera app, it opens with gallery go app.
to be noted, i have added some commands in build.prop..
media.camera.ts.monotonic=0
debug.stagefright.ccodec=0
persist.camera.HAL3.enabled=1

i don't know what these do but these commands were mentioned somewhere to enable camera2api..
am i missing something?

Redmi 4A abdal

Apr 8, 2019
1. record a video.
4. play the video once.

try that, might work.
try this for video recording , go to phh treble settings, go to Misc, go to camera force timestamp, clock boottime

Reactions: kouseralamin

okay_faith

May 27, 2021
IS TBH
First of all, the download link of all the files required for this "ROM" is taken from the "xda developers forum" posts.
I was constantly experimenting with GSI roms for Redmi 8. I was able to install the Pixel ROM on Redmi 8. I don't think you will have a problem if you follow the steps I shared with you one by one.

Not working
-Face unlock
-Radio
-VoLTE
(You need to make a setting for the camera, notch, LTE Mobile Network and auto-brightness. I told you how to make the settings.)

NOTE: A computer is required to make this ROM setup. It must also be installed in ADB on your computer.
Note: You can install this ROM Google Camera as apk. Unfortunately, there are no features such as Portrait, night mode in the original camera application of the device. However, you can use it if you install it as an apk.

Download - vbmeta.img

1- Unlock your bootloader. For unlocking follow this: http://en.miui.com/unlock/
2- Copy all the files to your SD Card (PixelExperience_ARM64AB-10.0-20200118-2138-GSI.img, SHRP_v2.2.zip, Permissiver_v5.zip, Certification_Patch.zip, Magisk-v20.4.zip, treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk)
3-Enable USB debugging. Connect the phone your computer Then copy the twrp.img and vbmeta.img files to the adb folder.
Note: If the name of your twrp file is not twrp.img, please set its name to twrp.img.
adb reboot bootloader

5-
Now we will go to the restart phone command. At that moment, you should quickly hold down the volume up key and power button of your phone. Enter this command:
fastboot reboot
Then restart the phone. After the phone reboots, check if Magisk is installed. Once you see it installed, reboot the phone in recovery mode.
8- Now find the wipe button and tap it. Then press the format data and confirm by typing yes.
10- Tap the wipe again and tap on advanced wipe. Select the Dalvik, data, cache, system partitions and reset them.
11- Now return to the main menu screen and tap flash. Select your SD card in the lower right section and tap the PixelExperience_ARM64AB-10.0-20200118-2138-GSI.img file. Then select it as system image and install it.
12- Return to the main menu and come to the flash section and install the file Permissiver_v5.zip.
13- Then go back to the flash section and install the Certification_Patch.zip file.
14- Return to the main menu, tap wipe and complete the wipe from the button on the bottom right.
15- Reboot the system. Your device will either boot in fastboot mode or be bootloop. (If you see it open normally and no problems occur, you can skip step 18.)
16- Go to fastboot mode.
fastboot reboot recovery

The phone will reboot and turn on. Please set up the phone and turn USB debugging back on.
18- After doing setup and enabling usb debugging, reboot to recovery mode and install magisk.zip. Then reboot the phone.
19- Install build prop editor(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor&hl=en&pli=1) and root browser(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en) from the Play Store.
20- Open root browser and allow root access then go to your SD card and find treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk
21- Copy to treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk on Root Directory/system/overlay/ folder.
22- Select treble-overlay-xiaomi-redmi8.apk file on overlay folder and tap the three dots in the top right and tap the properties.
24- Select like this photo (link: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...VrSOGT_V9Q2bzgy5IuE9nIfPslILJ1Vz=w429-h904-no ) and click apply then reboot system.
25- Open the build prop editor and allow root access. then tap the 3 dots in the upper right and tap new.
value= 1
26- Go to the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*. Tap Phone information and set "set preffered network type: LTE only." Then reboot system.

That was it. Please note that I am not a developer, so I cannot resolve any errors. I believe that if you apply them like me, you won't have a problem. I will be waiting for your comments. Have a nice day.
Is there a way to flash it without SD card???my adb sideloader also doesnt open

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not working
    -Face unlock
    -Radio
    -VoLTE

Download - vbmeta.img

adb reboot bootloader

5- Now we will go to the restart phone command. At that moment, you should quickly hold down the volume up key and power button of your phone. Enter this command:
    fastboot reboot
    16- Go to fastboot mode.
    fastboot reboot recovery

value= 1

I´ll give it a try in my wife´s redmi 8, cus I had tried to flash a bunch of roms in that device and I had not success. Thanks

You're welcome. If you encounter any problems, please let me know. If you follow what I wrote under normal conditions step by step, you won't have a problem.
    Yes, there is a problem in this regard. Unfortunately, I could not solve this problem. I usually use Instagram cam for video. You can try bro
    1. record a video.
    4. play the video once.

try that, might work.
    try this for video recording , go to phh treble settings, go to Misc, go to camera force timestamp, clock boottime