[Guide] [ROM] (mantis) Fire TV Stick 4K Prerooted Android TV Rom (6.2.7.6)

Search This thread

MRog40

Nov 15, 2015
Mouse support in twrp is not stable. Somethimes my mouse just doesn't move in that 5 sec twrp screen until I reboot. Entering twrp from the system ui is easier when its possible.
How do I enter twrp from the system ui?

With my OTG cable, the device bootloops even though I'm using the same power supply

yan2xme

Jun 8, 2018
There is no built in adblocker. I get that error when I try to open the app with vpn connection. Do you use vpn on your router or stick?

I couldn't get the native prime video apk to work. Can you please share the apk you used?

I don't have one sorry.

For 2.
I'm using my firestick with pc monitor and airpods so I can't control the volume too. I couldn't find any way to control volume without remote ir.

Please try otg adapter with another device

Mouse support in twrp is not stable. Somethimes my mouse just doesn't move in that 5 sec twrp screen until I reboot. Entering twrp from the system ui is easier when its possible.

Thanks. You should change the name of your wallpaper file to background.jpg and move to the sdcard partition. After that set it from the launcher settings.
but what if mouse pointer still doesnt show up in system ui? even in an unmodified fire os? i did not tried another otg y splitter for my Firestick (but still no damages physically to the otg itself) and I lost also my original cable for fire stick... i tried to also change the power brick of the fs like using a 33 watt charger but still doesnt power up my wired and wireless mouse... but no indication to the fs that my supply is weak... what should I do?

I will just try to bring back stock recovery and unroot my fs and try the exploit again...

marcge 63

Jul 26, 2013
Has anyone been able to get prime video recommendations on leanback launcher? i tried with official android tv app and amazon's one (actually native version is the best one by the way)

Tried as Well, but only Netflix, Spotify and YouTube seem to be able to display recommendations.
Mycanal is in the launcher's list but does not display anything.

Amazon prime is not in the list...

robin994

Jan 19, 2011
Salerno
Tried as Well, but only Netflix, Spotify and YouTube seem to be able to display recommendations.
Mycanal is in the launcher's list but does not display anything.

Amazon prime is not in the list...

i don't know what's wrong. But i guess we need a rom with original android to get better compatibility , not the fireos modded

jisgore

May 7, 2013
Hello Guys. I have managed to get the system install and working up until the registration screen. once i go to the link to register and use the code shown on the firetv it says registered but the code then expires on the firestick and it doesn't matter how many times i try it won't register.

Anyone has a solution for this issue?

Future-Proof

Jul 18, 2019
Is logging into an Amazon or Google account absolutely required after installing this custom ROM? I just got a 4K Stick, and I'd really like to just use it as kind of an Android set top box, without having to log into any accounts (I'd just sideload what I want to install).

Last edited:

blaze2051

Jul 26, 2010
LG G7 ThinQ
LG V40
is this a 32bit or 64bit Os . because i recently found out the all amazon devices run on a 32bit Os with a 64bit capable cpu, same thing with the chromecast with google tv 4th gen .

But at this point the GC_TV spec are very similar or a little higher than the FS_4k and its Os is less blotware and less restrictive, and it capable of running dreamcast and psp emulation

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
is this a 32bit or 64bit Os . because i recently found out the all amazon devices run on a 32bit Os with a 64bit capable cpu, same thing with the chromecast with google tv 4th gen .

But at this point the GC_TV spec are very similar or a little higher than the FS_4k and its Os is less blotware and less restrictive, and it capable of running dreamcast and psp emulation
Yes, mantis is running a 32-bit OS (32-bit user space), although the CPU is capable of running a 64-bit OS.
No, that's not correct. There are some Amazon devices that use 64-bit user space like Amazon Fire TV 2 (sloane), Amazon Fire HD8 2017 (douglas), Amazon Fire HD10 2017 (suez) and some more.
Your comparison between GC_TV and mantis is true. However, I personally think mantis is a good device once you unlock and debloat it.
I would love to continue comparing both devices but unfortunately this is not the right place to continue the discussion.

blaze2051

Jul 26, 2010
LG G7 ThinQ
LG V40
Yes, mantis is running a 32-bit OS (32-bit user space), although the CPU is capable of running a 64-bit OS.
No, that's not correct. There are some Amazon devices that use 64-bit user space like Amazon Fire TV 2 (sloane), Amazon Fire HD8 2017 (douglas), Amazon Fire HD10 2017 (suez) and some more.
Your comparison between GC_TV and mantis is true. However, I personally think mantis is a good device once you unlock and debloat it.
I would love to continue comparing both devices but unfortunately this is not the right place to continue the discussion.
i started using telegram that might be a place to discuss

Animizio

Aug 19, 2016
Hello.
I m using that root for some time now and everything worked well. Now I can't open the Plex app anymore. It's always crashing directly, I tried Google Playstore and Amazon store version. Also Spotify does not work after opening. It opens, but then I see a not loading website screen (I m not logged in at the moment). This also happens for the installed Spotify and the Google play version.
Any help? Without these apps the stick would be useless for me. Thanks for any help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After so many trial and error, I've finally saved the latest version of my system with TWRP backup. I want to share this personal setup with you guys since it required a lot of work to debloat, install add-ons, apps, kernels and tweaks. This is a single package that contains many modifications from other threads made for simple, one-time installation. I tried to keep it close to Android TV (Nougat) exprience. However, I kept some of the Amazon software that I use like Alexa and Amazon Appstore.

Guides I found and used for this rom:
    !!Please read these threads before you begin!!
    !!All credit goes to those developers!!
    !!Do at your own risk!!

Some Info:
    Android Version: 7.1.2​
    Fire OS Version: 6.2.7.6​
    Working TWRP Version: 3.3.1-0​
    Installed Magisk Version: 20.4​
    Installed launcher: Google Leanback Launcher​
    Available Internal Storage after installition: 3.15 GB​

Screenshots:
    top.pngbottom.pngrecomendations.png

Contains:
    ==========================================================================================

Working:
    • Alexa
    • Voice Input of Amazon keyboard. (need to enable FireTV IME Keyboard from settings) (long press menu button for quick switch)
    • Amazon Settings
    • Fire TV Remote App (I highly suggest this app. Works perfect for navigation and keyboard input)
    • Amazon Appstore (You can install your previous paid apps from here. Search function in amazon appstore only works with alexa)
    • Google Play Store and Services
    • Magisk
    • Xposed
    • Recommendations on launcher
    • Widevine DRM (Netflix, PrimeVideo etc. works fine)
    • Kodi Audio Passthrough
    • Android Screen Cast
    Not working:
    • Google Assistant
    • Google Voice Search
    ==========================================================================================

Some useful apps that I installed (all can be uninstalled):
    • FX (file manager with root access)
    • Link2SD (app manager with root access. It lets you uninstall, freeze system apps or convert them to user apps and vice versa)
    • Xposed Edge (simple alternative to tasker or key mapper with root access. I've mapped long-press of back button to kill foreground app)
    • LeanKey Keyboard Pro (came with tsynik's magisk module and I loved it)
    • Smart Youtube TV (modded youtube app that enables dozens of options. I'm using it to increase the playback speed of videos)
    • MX and VLC Player (to play local or online streams)
    • Aerial Dream TV (really nice screensaver that uses Apple TV visuals)
    • Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify (not to make the launcher look empty)
    Installed magisk modules:
    • Xposed Framework (rovo89)
    • Google TV Apps for FireOS 6 (tsynik)
    • FireTV4k Selinux Fix (Pretoriano80)
    Installed xposed modules:
    • Xposed Edge
    • AFTV-XM (tsynik)
    • AFTV-GAPPS-XM (tsynik)

Requirements:
    • OTG Adapter
    • USB Keyboard/Mouse
    • USB Stick Formatted Fat32
    • TV or Monitor
    • Firestick 4K
    How to install:
    1. Be aware that your warranty will be void.
    2. Backup your files.
    3. Unlock bootloader and install twrp using this guide.
    4. Download and extract Firestick 4K Android TV TWRP Backup.rar to TWRP backups path on USB stick; TWRP > BACKUPS > G070VM0984752N1Q
    5. Do a factory reset via TWRP (use otg adapter and keyboard/mouse to navigate)
    6. Restore from TWRP backup that you prepared.
    7. Reboot to system.
    8. Connect to wifi and log in to your amazon account. (still using keyboard or mouse to navigate)
    9. Go to Settings > Fire OS > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices and pair your Fire TV remote. (now you can ditch the keyboard)
    10. Enjoy.
    Mirror:
    Additional Notes:
    • Developer options and USB debugging enabled.
    • OTA updates disabled.
    • Disable "Stay Awake" option in developer settings if you want the screensaver to start.
    • Long-press to back button kills the foreground app. It makes quitting activities easier.
    • Long-press to menu button opens fast keyboard switching window. It helps to switch to amazon keyboard when I use voice input.
    • You can change the launcher to whatever you want. I'm happy with Leanback Launcher. I didn't try but there's this.
    • Important: Never install magisk updates from magisk. Use TWRP.
    • If you want to create TWRP backup, select "System Image" and "Vendor Image" insted of system and vendor.
    • Suggestion: FX Web Access makes it easier to tranfer files.
    • Suggestion: I think keyboard from FireTV remote app and alexa's speech to text input are the most efficient input methods if you don't have physical keyboard.
    • Important:
      Play Store downloads not fully compatible with Amazon download manager. In case apps won't install from Play Store - uninstall Play Sore updates from ATV Settings.
      NOTE:
      You need to remove and readd Google account after module update.
    • Installed Netflix and Spotify apps are compatible with alexa.
    • I couldn't make my dualshock 4 controller work with this device. Even with the stock system. Help would be appreciated.
    Reddit Posts Of This Guide: Here and Here

Big thanks to:
    • @k4y0z and @xyz` for unlocking the bootloader.
    • @tsynik for building those life-saving magisk modules which is basicly the key of this build.
    • @Pretoriano80 for creating a kernel which supports SDCARDFS, exFAT, F2FS, Wireguard, Advanced TCP options, CIFS and NFS, Insecure ADB.
    • @bnevets27 for debloating script.
    • @Skel40 for build.prop tweaks to increase performance.
    • @Bertonumber1 for testing the rom.
    It's possible to interact with this ROM on first boot without a keyboard. You must use adb shell over USB. The USB cable connected to your laptop, and the FireTV Stick plugged into HDMI on your monitor.

1. First make sure the device is booted and you see the FireTV stick over USB with adb with adb devices.
    2. Open a new shell with adb shell. You should see a prompt showing mantis:/ $ (may differ if you're not using a 4K stick.)
    3. You have multiple options now to interact with the UI.
      • input keyevent <number> which allows you to send keypresses to the device as if you were working with a keyboard.
      • input mouse tap <x> <y> which allows you to click things on screen using a grid of coordinates. The top left of your screen is x=0 and y=0. The bottom right of your screen is x=1920 and y=1080. Figuring out the exact coordinate of where you want to click will take some trial and error. Don't be afraid to try. Add more x to make the mouse click something right. Add more y to make the mouse click something in the direction of the bottom of the screen.
    4. The easiest option is to use the keyevent input.
      • Use the following guide to map your keypresses to numbers: https://stackoverflow.com/a/8483797/6252246
      • Examples:
      • input keyevent 19 - Up arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 20 - Down arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 21 - Left arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 22 - Right arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 66 - ENTER key on keyboard
      • input keyevent 29 - 'A' key on keyboard
    Your goal is to get the FireTV Stick on your home network by entering in the wifi password. Once it's on your network, you can then use the FireTV app on your phone to interact with the device. You can also navigate to the FireOS settings for Remotes and Controllers and unpair the non-existent remote ID which ships with this ROM. To do that start the pair process. When it asks you to press "select" on the 'old' remote (which you don't have) just press select (tap the pad) on your FireTV app and it will proceed with the pairing.

Hope this helps someone without a OTG or keyboard like me.
    i'm doing experiment on this rom and google assistant seems to work (except voice search) , if you try to type it works. I bet it needs to be tweaked out , maybe removing/blocking alexa and reassigning the voice button on the remote to trigger google assistant

EDIT:
    i was right, google assistant works. I've been able to use voice search and use it to control my smart home.
    to make it work:
    -enable google assistant in atv voice settings
    -go home and agree microphone usage trying to make a search
    -go in xposed edge pro
    -choose a button ( i used volume down for test) and set google assistant on a key ( it is under activity > google > searchactivitytrampoline (don't forget to enable button)
    -done

how to use it:
    press the chosen button
    and press alexa micrphone button and it will work
    Ok my friend i can confirm we are good to go .
    Everything intact remote paired , wifi /ethernet bluetooth all good (y)smooth operation
    Thank you , again excellent work
    Just a word to the wise as of recent events it is strongly advised members disable OTA updates on Mantis should they wish to continue modifications such as #root, launchers , adb pm commands etc etc . Update bin 6.2.7.7 has a 2nd "system updates" part to it that contains the boogeyman and is breaking things like adb commands etcetera .
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone