[Guide] [ROM] (mantis) Fire TV Stick 4K Prerooted Android TV Rom (6.2.7.6)

Search This thread

maxi_gg

Sep 9, 2021
Note:
Never use AFTV xm and AFTV gaps xm together , Google voice and Google assistant won't work if you do so.

Update leanback launcher to 1.48,

Uninstall AFTV gaps xm from Magisk , reboot to twrp , just flash open-gaps and katanis in twrp and reboot.

see the magic of Google voice and Google assistant flawlessly after reboot !

Thanks and regards
Subhash India
Hi! Which gaps version and... what is katanis? I cant find it. I've already uninstall old leanback and installed v1.49

Just rooted a brand new fire tv stick 4k but I did not use an OTG cable, so I unplugged the usb cable. Now I am using an OTG with mouse and keyboard, I have been trying to get back to TWRP but the keyboard and mouse do not seem to work at all so I am not able to hit the "cancel" button. I am not able to use "adb" command either because the stick is brand new so developer mode is not enabled. I also tried to run kamakiri's bootrom-step.sh but that did not seem to detect tv stick 4k anymore (because it's already rooted?). Can someone please help?

--updated--

Never mind, I was able to run kamakiri's script again. Forgot to mention that this stick refuses to get updates from Amazon so I'm not able to log in to my account to enable adb.
Hello, you can try flashing a new firmware and see if you can obtain updates then but updates are really a no no and can lock the bootloader on this model via the efuse.

If you get onto home screen you can install power menu little Vic apk and access recovery via the app, you can also use "adb reboot recovery" from your pc or " reboot recovery" from remote adb shell. Idk of sudo boot-recovery.sh is included in this version of amonet.

But Flash another rooted firmware and you should have access to the missing settings such as dev options

Regards

Last edited:

Giuseppe 1971

May 13, 2012
Naples
Hello,
Can someone please confirm that Prime Video is still working? I've a Fire TV Stick 4K with firmware 6.2.7.6 (but not this ROM) and since few days the app Prime Video asks me to update. Since I've the updates blocked, I get an error and I cannot open it.

Before installing the ROM in the OP, I want to be sure that Prime Video works.

Thanks in advance

Edit: problem solved thanks to the help of the user Sus_i, I needed to install an updated version of Prime Video found here: https://xdaforums.com/t/prime-video-fire-tv-apk.4315163/

Last edited:

maxi_gg

Sep 9, 2021
Hello,
Can someone please confirm that Prime Video is still working? I've a Fire TV Stick 4K with firmware 6.2.7.6 (but not this ROM) and since few days the app Prime Video asks me to update. Since I've the updates blocked, I get an error and I cannot open it.

Before installing the ROM in the OP, I want to be sure that Prime Video works.

Thanks in advance

Edit: problem solved thanks to the help of the user Sus_i, I needed to install an updated version of Prime Video found here: https://xdaforums.com/t/prime-video-fire-tv-apk.4315163/
Hi, prime video works fine. I use the version from Play Store.

Reactions: Giuseppe 1971

Giuseppe 1971

May 13, 2012
Naples
Hi , I like that u/name ...In the name of the father ? :unsure:

Here is a handy thread should you ever need to update any apks without having to flash newer firmwares.

Regards
Thanks for the link, just added to the "watched" for future reference.

Sorry, I've not understood, are you asking whether my name is the name of Jesus's father? If yes, you are right, Giuseppe is Joseph in English 👍

SamA31

Sep 27, 2021
Is it possible to replace Fire OS with Android TV OS? I mean Fire OS is completely out of the picture - the device literally runs on Android TV OS; and the only app left is the remote control app. Fire OS has a lot of restrictions, censorship, ads and no more registering the device to Amazon. Even disabling the location on Firestick 4K is a pain in the neck. The only pre-installed apps are Google Play Store and Google Play Services. Thanks in advance for your helping hand.

Is it possible to replace Fire OS with Android TV OS? I mean Fire OS is completely out of the picture - the device literally runs on Android TV OS; and the only app left is the remote control app. Fire OS has a lot of restrictions, censorship, ads and no more registering the device to Amazon. Even disabling the location on Firestick 4K is a pain in the neck. The only pre-installed apps are Google Play Store and Google Play Services. Thanks in advance for your helping hand.
This build and Tsyniks magisk addons is the closest you will get to an android TV rom .

This is due to the kernel and features required to make remote and other stuff work

Regards

dennis148

Aug 15, 2008
is it possible to load this backup from rooted 6.2.8.1r2 with magisk and twrp installed without otg mouse/keyboard?

jisgore

May 7, 2013
Flashed the rom and it works great except for the play store. I followed instructions to remove updates by deleting data and cache for the play store, also removing and adding my google account. When I try to download something it says "Downloads Pending" and doesn't do anything else.

My firestick is blacklisted so not sure if has to do with the amazon app store not working.

puma9S

Nov 20, 2011
Hey, to those who installed the ROM successfully, how did you experience the performance on this ROM?
Is it faster/smoother than what you had on FireOS?

I tried the methods where you'd replace the launcher on top of FireOS and wonder now whether I get even more out of it by using a whole ROM

Thanks!

niggonet

Nov 13, 2012
Thank you, this ROM is just great!

Can you maybe modify the Android's "Display.HdrCapabilities" class (https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/Display.HdrCapabilities) in a way that it doesn't tell the apps there is a HDR capable TV hooked up to the Fire TV and get a "HDR free ROM"? Many people wish this feature but Fire TV doesn't offer.

I think it's enough to rewrite the "isHdr" function to always return false (https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../+/master/core/java/android/view/Display.java)

public boolean isHdr() { return false; }

Would be helpful for the following people (including me):
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/9z0xte https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick/comments/k5dwmw

ChosenCypher

Jan 29, 2017
Installed the ROM successfully, everything seems to work except Stadia (installed from the Play Store).

Stadia keeps crashing after a couple of minutes of playing.

MainWebModule >>> com.google.stadia.androidtv <<< signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 (SI_TKILL), fault addr -------- Abort message: 'art/runtime/indirect_reference_table.cc: 132] JNI ERROR (app bug): local reference table overflow (max=512)'
Full stack trace as attachment. Sorry for the photo, didn't know how to screenshot or copy paste :)

Any idea what to do? I only updated LeanbackOnFire to v1.50 and logged in with my Amazon and Google Account. Also reinstalled the ROM but with no success, same issue.

I was thinking of updating open-gaps but not sure which version. ARM, 7.1, tvstock? Anything else besides uninstalling AFTV-GAPPS-XM and flashing open-gaps in TWRP?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3812.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 47

ChosenCypher

Jan 29, 2017
Ok, so I managed to update open-gaps, followed instructions from tsynik from here. The link to the GDrive is this one.

- placed all files from the GDrive link above in /sdcard/
- booted into TWRP and installed/flashed open_gapps-arm-7.1-tvmini-XXXXXX.zip and then update_katniss-4.5.zip

** also, there is a typo here katanis is actually katniss
** if you also want to update LeanbackLauncher you can find it here

Stadia still crashes... unfortunately.

juancosta900

Dec 23, 2021
After so many trial and error, I've finally saved the latest version of my system with TWRP backup. I want to share this personal setup with you guys since it required a lot of work to debloat, install add-ons, apps, kernels and tweaks. This is a single package that contains many modifications from other threads made for simple, one-time installation. I tried to keep it close to Android TV (Nougat) exprience. However, I kept some of the Amazon software that I use like Alexa and Amazon Appstore.

Guides I found and used for this rom:
!!Please read these threads before you begin!!
!!All credit goes to those developers!!
!!Do at your own risk!!

Some Info:
Android Version: 7.1.2​
Fire OS Version: 6.2.7.6​
Working TWRP Version: 3.3.1-0​
Installed Magisk Version: 20.4​
Installed launcher: Google Leanback Launcher​
Available Internal Storage after installition: 3.15 GB​

Screenshots:

Contains:
==========================================================================================

Working:
  • Alexa
  • Voice Input of Amazon keyboard. (need to enable FireTV IME Keyboard from settings) (long press menu button for quick switch)
  • Amazon Settings
  • Fire TV Remote App (I highly suggest this app. Works perfect for navigation and keyboard input)
  • Amazon Appstore (You can install your previous paid apps from here. Search function in amazon appstore only works with alexa)
  • Google Play Store and Services
  • Magisk
  • Xposed
  • Recommendations on launcher
  • Widevine DRM (Netflix, PrimeVideo etc. works fine)
  • Kodi Audio Passthrough
  • Android Screen Cast
Not working:
  • Google Assistant
  • Google Voice Search
==========================================================================================

Some useful apps that I installed (all can be uninstalled):
  • FX (file manager with root access)
  • Link2SD (app manager with root access. It lets you uninstall, freeze system apps or convert them to user apps and vice versa)
  • Xposed Edge (simple alternative to tasker or key mapper with root access. I've mapped long-press of back button to kill foreground app)
  • LeanKey Keyboard Pro (came with tsynik's magisk module and I loved it)
  • Smart Youtube TV (modded youtube app that enables dozens of options. I'm using it to increase the playback speed of videos)
  • MX and VLC Player (to play local or online streams)
  • Aerial Dream TV (really nice screensaver that uses Apple TV visuals)
  • Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify (not to make the launcher look empty)
Installed magisk modules:
  • Xposed Framework (rovo89)
  • Google TV Apps for FireOS 6 (tsynik)
  • FireTV4k Selinux Fix (Pretoriano80)
Installed xposed modules:
  • Xposed Edge
  • AFTV-XM (tsynik)
  • AFTV-GAPPS-XM (tsynik)

Requirements:
  • OTG Adapter
  • USB Keyboard/Mouse
  • USB Stick Formatted Fat32
  • TV or Monitor
  • Firestick 4K
How to install:
  1. Be aware that your warranty will be void.
  2. Backup your files.
  3. Unlock bootloader and install twrp using this guide.
  4. Download and extract Firestick 4K Android TV TWRP Backup.rar to TWRP backups path on USB stick; TWRP > BACKUPS > G070VM0984752N1Q
  5. Do a factory reset via TWRP (use otg adapter and keyboard/mouse to navigate)
  6. Restore from TWRP backup that you prepared.
  7. Reboot to system.
  8. Connect to wifi and log in to your amazon account. (still using keyboard or mouse to navigate)
  9. Go to Settings > Fire OS > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices and pair your Fire TV remote. (now you can ditch the keyboard)
  10. Enjoy.
Mirror:
Additional Notes:
  • Developer options and USB debugging enabled.
  • OTA updates disabled.
  • Disable "Stay Awake" option in developer settings if you want the screensaver to start.
  • Long-press to back button kills the foreground app. It makes quitting activities easier.
  • Long-press to menu button opens fast keyboard switching window. It helps to switch to amazon keyboard when I use voice input.
  • You can change the launcher to whatever you want. I'm happy with Leanback Launcher. I didn't try but there's this.
  • Important: Never install magisk updates from magisk. Use TWRP.
  • If you want to create TWRP backup, select "System Image" and "Vendor Image" insted of system and vendor.
  • Suggestion: FX Web Access makes it easier to tranfer files.
  • Suggestion: I think keyboard from FireTV remote app and alexa's speech to text input are the most efficient input methods if you don't have physical keyboard.
  • Important:
  • Installed Netflix and Spotify apps are compatible with alexa.
  • I couldn't make my dualshock 4 controller work with this device. Even with the stock system. Help would be appreciated.
Reddit Posts Of This Guide: Here and Here

Big thanks to:
  • @k4y0z and @xyz` for unlocking the bootloader.
  • @tsynik for building those life-saving magisk modules which is basicly the key of this build.
  • @Pretoriano80 for creating a kernel which supports SDCARDFS, exFAT, F2FS, Wireguard, Advanced TCP options, CIFS and NFS, Insecure ADB.
  • @bnevets27 for debloating script.
  • @Skel40 for build.prop tweaks to increase performance.
  • @Bertonumber1 for testing the rom.
Please Tell me If my Amazon Account still shows in this MoD. Because i need to Sell TO OThERS these Amazon Fire Stick LITe with my particular App installed. AND DONT WANT THEY TO USE MY ACCOUNT.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After so many trial and error, I've finally saved the latest version of my system with TWRP backup. I want to share this personal setup with you guys since it required a lot of work to debloat, install add-ons, apps, kernels and tweaks. This is a single package that contains many modifications from other threads made for simple, one-time installation. I tried to keep it close to Android TV (Nougat) exprience. However, I kept some of the Amazon software that I use like Alexa and Amazon Appstore.

Guides I found and used for this rom:
    !!Please read these threads before you begin!!
    !!All credit goes to those developers!!
    !!Do at your own risk!!

Some Info:
    Android Version: 7.1.2​
    Fire OS Version: 6.2.7.6​
    Working TWRP Version: 3.3.1-0​
    Installed Magisk Version: 20.4​
    Installed launcher: Google Leanback Launcher​
    Available Internal Storage after installition: 3.15 GB​

Screenshots:
    top.pngbottom.pngrecomendations.png

Contains:

Working:
    • Alexa
    • Voice Input of Amazon keyboard. (need to enable FireTV IME Keyboard from settings) (long press menu button for quick switch)
    • Amazon Settings
    • Fire TV Remote App (I highly suggest this app. Works perfect for navigation and keyboard input)
    • Amazon Appstore (You can install your previous paid apps from here. Search function in amazon appstore only works with alexa)
    • Google Play Store and Services
    • Magisk
    • Xposed
    • Recommendations on launcher
    • Widevine DRM (Netflix, PrimeVideo etc. works fine)
    • Kodi Audio Passthrough
    • Android Screen Cast
    Not working:
    • Google Assistant
    • Google Voice Search

Some useful apps that I installed (all can be uninstalled):
    • FX (file manager with root access)
    • Link2SD (app manager with root access. It lets you uninstall, freeze system apps or convert them to user apps and vice versa)
    • Xposed Edge (simple alternative to tasker or key mapper with root access. I've mapped long-press of back button to kill foreground app)
    • LeanKey Keyboard Pro (came with tsynik's magisk module and I loved it)
    • Smart Youtube TV (modded youtube app that enables dozens of options. I'm using it to increase the playback speed of videos)
    • MX and VLC Player (to play local or online streams)
    • Aerial Dream TV (really nice screensaver that uses Apple TV visuals)
    • Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify (not to make the launcher look empty)
    Installed magisk modules:
    • Xposed Framework (rovo89)
    • Google TV Apps for FireOS 6 (tsynik)
    • FireTV4k Selinux Fix (Pretoriano80)
    Installed xposed modules:
    • Xposed Edge
    • AFTV-XM (tsynik)
    • AFTV-GAPPS-XM (tsynik)

Requirements:
    • OTG Adapter
    • USB Keyboard/Mouse
    • USB Stick Formatted Fat32
    • TV or Monitor
    • Firestick 4K
    How to install:
    1. Be aware that your warranty will be void.
    2. Backup your files.
    3. Unlock bootloader and install twrp using this guide.
    4. Download and extract Firestick 4K Android TV TWRP Backup.rar to TWRP backups path on USB stick; TWRP > BACKUPS > G070VM0984752N1Q
    5. Do a factory reset via TWRP (use otg adapter and keyboard/mouse to navigate)
    6. Restore from TWRP backup that you prepared.
    7. Reboot to system.
    8. Connect to wifi and log in to your amazon account. (still using keyboard or mouse to navigate)
    9. Go to Settings > Fire OS > Controllers and Bluetooth Devices and pair your Fire TV remote. (now you can ditch the keyboard)
    10. Enjoy.
    Mirror:
    Additional Notes:
    • Developer options and USB debugging enabled.
    • OTA updates disabled.
    • Disable "Stay Awake" option in developer settings if you want the screensaver to start.
    • Long-press to back button kills the foreground app. It makes quitting activities easier.
    • Long-press to menu button opens fast keyboard switching window. It helps to switch to amazon keyboard when I use voice input.
    • You can change the launcher to whatever you want. I'm happy with Leanback Launcher. I didn't try but there's this.
    • Important: Never install magisk updates from magisk. Use TWRP.
    • If you want to create TWRP backup, select "System Image" and "Vendor Image" insted of system and vendor.
    • Suggestion: FX Web Access makes it easier to tranfer files.
    • Suggestion: I think keyboard from FireTV remote app and alexa's speech to text input are the most efficient input methods if you don't have physical keyboard.
    • Important:
      Play Store downloads not fully compatible with Amazon download manager. In case apps won't install from Play Store - uninstall Play Sore updates from ATV Settings.
      NOTE:
      You need to remove and readd Google account after module update.
    • Installed Netflix and Spotify apps are compatible with alexa.
    • I couldn't make my dualshock 4 controller work with this device. Even with the stock system. Help would be appreciated.
    Reddit Posts Of This Guide: Here and Here

Big thanks to:
    • @k4y0z and @xyz` for unlocking the bootloader.
    • @tsynik for building those life-saving magisk modules which is basicly the key of this build.
    • @Pretoriano80 for creating a kernel which supports SDCARDFS, exFAT, F2FS, Wireguard, Advanced TCP options, CIFS and NFS, Insecure ADB.
    • @bnevets27 for debloating script.
    • @Skel40 for build.prop tweaks to increase performance.
    • @Bertonumber1 for testing the rom.
    It's possible to interact with this ROM on first boot without a keyboard. You must use adb shell over USB. The USB cable connected to your laptop, and the FireTV Stick plugged into HDMI on your monitor.

1. First make sure the device is booted and you see the FireTV stick over USB with adb with adb devices.
    2. Open a new shell with adb shell. You should see a prompt showing mantis:/ $ (may differ if you're not using a 4K stick.)
    3. You have multiple options now to interact with the UI.
      • input keyevent <number> which allows you to send keypresses to the device as if you were working with a keyboard.
      • input mouse tap <x> <y> which allows you to click things on screen using a grid of coordinates. The top left of your screen is x=0 and y=0. The bottom right of your screen is x=1920 and y=1080. Figuring out the exact coordinate of where you want to click will take some trial and error. Don't be afraid to try. Add more x to make the mouse click something right. Add more y to make the mouse click something in the direction of the bottom of the screen.
    4. The easiest option is to use the keyevent input.
      • Use the following guide to map your keypresses to numbers: https://stackoverflow.com/a/8483797/6252246
      • Examples:
      • input keyevent 19 - Up arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 20 - Down arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 21 - Left arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 22 - Right arrow on keyboard
      • input keyevent 66 - ENTER key on keyboard
      • input keyevent 29 - 'A' key on keyboard
    Your goal is to get the FireTV Stick on your home network by entering in the wifi password. Once it's on your network, you can then use the FireTV app on your phone to interact with the device. You can also navigate to the FireOS settings for Remotes and Controllers and unpair the non-existent remote ID which ships with this ROM. To do that start the pair process. When it asks you to press "select" on the 'old' remote (which you don't have) just press select (tap the pad) on your FireTV app and it will proceed with the pairing.

Hope this helps someone without a OTG or keyboard like me.
    i'm doing experiment on this rom and google assistant seems to work (except voice search) , if you try to type it works. I bet it needs to be tweaked out , maybe removing/blocking alexa and reassigning the voice button on the remote to trigger google assistant

EDIT:
    i was right, google assistant works. I've been able to use voice search and use it to control my smart home.
    to make it work:
    -enable google assistant in atv voice settings
    -go home and agree microphone usage trying to make a search
    -go in xposed edge pro
    -choose a button ( i used volume down for test) and set google assistant on a key ( it is under activity > google > searchactivitytrampoline (don't forget to enable button)
    -done

how to use it:
    press the chosen button
    and press alexa micrphone button and it will work
    I've been spending some time working on a similar ROM/Backup from scratch, built on fire OS version 6.2.8.0
    (Highest without efuse burn)

Using the latest files (AFTV-MM-20221021) supplied by @tsynik.
    Latest Kernel supplied by @Pretoriano80
    NTFS/F2FS/EXT4/exFAT OTG supplied by @Pretoriano80
    Updated magisk (25.1.FTV)
    Updated Leanback Launcher
    Updated Xposed
    Other Apps updated.
    Some frozen Amazon apps, no OTA update etc. (non destructive debloat)
    No play store/services (unnecessary and causes issues)
    Quick menu on double click Home (Xposed Edge)
    Build.prop tweaks (fast boot etc)

Everything working well so far.

If anyone is interested I can make a clean backup and start a new thread. I've reached out to the OP but believe he/she has not been active here for sometime.

Will need to make a backup clear of any credentials.

Does anyone know if there are any apps I can't include following XDA rules? (Cinema, CyberFlix etc)

Let me know if interested and I'll put something together.
    Ok my friend i can confirm we are good to go .
    Everything intact remote paired , wifi /ethernet bluetooth all good (y)smooth operation
    Thank you , again excellent work
    Thank you very much. What a relief. You're the first beta tester :) much appreciated.