Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
ccgl.jpg

[UPDATED: 08-14-2013]

This is a cordial invite for anyone to join OUR thread about different issues with roms, flashing, setting up, and so on, no BS thread where you feel like you are walking on ice in other threads with questions and so on. Good conversation, good help from others have been a strong point, these guys help a lot, feel free to join if you feel you are getting no help anywhere. We talk about everything, recoveries, backups, what roms run on your device, and so on. We help others get roms from other carriers running on their devices. We treat everyone the same, noobs are seriously welcome. Many flash-a-holics there, remember, the only stupid question, is the one you never asked.

[GUIDE][ROMS]RUN OTHER CARRIER ROMs on AT&T/TMO/Canadian/Verizon S4 devices. Here's how!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2295557

Last edited:

hlxanthus

Jun 10, 2011
Am I reading it right? Simply flash their ROM then our kernel? Then edit apns? Is it really that simple . .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mbh87

Jun 16, 2010
Idaho
I tested Omega and data was a no go. Tried a few various things and still couldn't get it to work. Might not be the case for all ROMs from the other variants, but I just gave up on trying to get it to work.

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
I tested Omega and data was a no go. Tried a few various things and still couldn't get it to work. Might not be the case for all ROMs from the other variants, but I just gave up on trying to get it to work.

Omega is one of the EASY ones. DATA WORKS WITH CORRECT APN SETTINGS PERIOD!

Not going into details here...but

Back up current rom
Wipe dalvik/cache/data
Flash Omega
before you boot Omega, flash YOUR kernel from here
Reboot
Add Verizon apn settings manually
Reboot
Enjoy!

What did not work?

BTW, didn't see you ask any questions in my thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bait-Fish

mbh87

Jun 16, 2010
Idaho
Omega is one of the EASY ones. DATA WORKS WITH CORRECT APN SETTINGS PERIOD!

Not going into details here...but

Back up current rom
Wipe dalvik/cache/data
Flash Omega
before you boot Omega, flash YOUR kernel from here
Reboot
Add Verizon apn settings manually
Reboot
Enjoy!

What did not work?

BTW, didn't see you ask any questions in my thread.
Nope, that isn't enough. Otherwise I'd be running omega right now.

Kakamarsson

Aug 16, 2012
Are you saying that i can use ANY rom from I9505 in my SGH-I545?

I bought a Verizon phone but really dont need anything from them. If i flash other rom i´ll just need to put in UMTS/GSM and edit APN for my carrier (Brasil) ?

tsangwc

Jul 31, 2006
I would love to try this but the verizon backup assistant thing scares me. Basically I can't turn this off from the verizon end. I would love to know what kind of messages I will get if that is not turned off. Does it keep coming?

mbh87

Jun 16, 2010
Idaho
I'd still like to see proof and exact steps with data working. I've tried multiple times and it was a no go so I would suggest VZW users not waste their time until someone confirms data is a go.

Edit: Appears Sprint users are having the same problem. Sorry bro, but you are acting like you personally tried these ROMs on various devices when the fact is that you can only speak for the AT&T variant. Just because stuff is working for you does NOT mean it will work for CDMA users.

Last edited:
Reactions: bills742

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
I'd still like to see proof and exact steps with data working. I've tried multiple times and it was a no go so I would suggest VZW users not waste their time until someone confirms data is a go.

Edit: Appears Sprint users are having the same problem. Sorry bro, but you are acting like you personally tried these ROMs on various devices when the fact is that you can only speak for the AT&T variant. Just because stuff is working for you does NOT mean it will work for CDMA users.

I have 2 users, one being verizon, and one sprint, that have verified, but I have not got screenshots from them as of yet, I believe you may be correct until I have proof. I will have an answer soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What's not true? The fact that for Verizon(or any CDMA carrier) there is a lot more involved than just a different kernel and apns? Do you need a screenshot of the smali lines in the framework referencing CDMA, Verizon, VZW, Sprint, SPR, and Chameleon all set to false? How about I just pull the lines relating to CDMA from ONE framework file:

Code:
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_AUDIO_USA_CHAMELEON:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_AUDIO_VZW_NAVI_TO_SPK:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_COMMON_MODEL:Ljava/lang/String; = ""
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_COMMON_OPERATOR:Ljava/lang/String; = ""
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_COMMON_REGION:Ljava/lang/String; = ""
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_GPS_CDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_GPS_VZW_STACK:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_PACKAGEMANAGER_VZW_SECURESETTING:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_PMS_VZW:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_ASKON_MODE_VERIZON:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_BLOCK_DATASETUP_BY_CDMA_LOCK_AUTH_FAIL:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CALL_SHOW_CDMA_RAT:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CDMALTE_TELEPHONY_COMMON:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CDMA_ID_EXTENED:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CDMA_RAT_SET:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CDMA_SUPPORT_GLOBAL_MODE:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CHECK_PLMN_FOR_SPR:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CHECK_TECHNOLOGY_FOR_CDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_CSC_SPRINT_CHAMELEON:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_DATA_AUTO_ROAMING_APN_CHANGE:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_DEFAULT_NETWORK_MODE_LTE_CDMA_AND_EVDO:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_DEFAULT_NETWORK_MODE_LTE_CDMA_EVDO_GSM_WCDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_DISABLE_UPDATEITEM_CDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_ENABLE_LTE_SPECIFIC_SETTING:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_ERI_BOOST_FOR_NOSVC:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_ERI_POLICY:Ljava/lang/String; = "0"
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_ERI_VZW:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_LTE_ON_CDMA_GLOBAL_MODE:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_NACDMA_CELL_LOCATION:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_OPERATOR_NAME_RULE_FOR_DCM:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_OPNAME_USE_SE13:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_READ_ONLY_ERI_TEXT:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_RSSI_CDMA_ONLY:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SIM_SUPPORT_3GPP_CDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SIM_SUPPORT_ICCID_CDMA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SIM_USA_CDMA_ID_EXTENED:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SMS_CDMA_COPY_TO_RUIM:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SMS_CDMA_NANP_USA:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SMS_CDMA_REASSEMBLY:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SMS_CDMA_SENT_FAIL_DISPLAY:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_SMS_CDMA_WRITE_TO_USIM:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_UPDATE_SUBCRIBERID_FOR_SPR:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_RIL_VZW_GLOBAL_DIALING:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_SETTINGS_SUPPORT_SPRINT_4G:Z = false
    .field public static final GLOBALCONFIG_SPRINT_GLOBAL_ROAMING_APN_SUPPORT:Z = false

The fact of the matter is that this information can't be found anywhere...Prove me wrong. The only way you will get all the information you need for a full working port is by doing it. You aren't going to magically stumble on a sure fire way to port to VZW from GSM. The people that know how, only know how because of who they network with(Teams, other Devs, In depth testers) and how much of their own investigative probing they've done.

I don't want to discourage anyone from learning about android and how it works. But the vanilla "change 3 files and presto" is absolutely FALSE when it comes to GSM to CDMA ports.
    Yeah. I'm not sure how to add APNs or back them up with a app. It says 4.0 doesn't let 3rd party apps back up the APN. So I'm stuck.

You're wanting to get data working by a simple process that won't work with Verizon. GSM devices tend to have it easy but since we're CDMA you're basically going to have to do a full on rom port if you want everything to work. This thread is deceiving because even though the roms boot up fine you still can't get data by changing the APN.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium
    ccgl.jpg

[UPDATED: 08-14-2013]

This is a cordial invite for anyone to join OUR thread about different issues with roms, flashing, setting up, and so on, no BS thread where you feel like you are walking on ice in other threads with questions and so on. Good conversation, good help from others have been a strong point, these guys help a lot, feel free to join if you feel you are getting no help anywhere. We talk about everything, recoveries, backups, what roms run on your device, and so on. We help others get roms from other carriers running on their devices. We treat everyone the same, noobs are seriously welcome. Many flash-a-holics there, remember, the only stupid question, is the one you never asked.

[GUIDE][ROMS]RUN OTHER CARRIER ROMs on AT&T/TMO/Canadian/Verizon S4 devices. Here's how!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2295557
    Not true, sorry, and yes, there is more to it than just adding apn, it can, and has been done, but it will take more than that, I am not trying to be deceiving, with a little reading, it WILL WORK PERIOD. As stated in my guide, Verizon users will have to do some research on their own. In my thread, we help these type issues.

Thanks for clearing it up for others though.

If it were easy then we'd be seeing more GSM devs porting their work to support the Sprint and Verizon GS4. Heck even Team Synergy has encountered issues with their multicarrier support using aroma and they have a team of super talented devs. The fact is, as dubbsy explained, it is tedious work and it requires a thorough understanding of the inner workings of Android. Basically, unless someone is a dev or an advanced user that has built/ported their own roms then all this thread is good for is to give people a slight taste of what international users are experiencing.

I think people are reading the post thinking they can flash two things and be done. That's simply not the case for Verizon at least. It sounds like that method works just fine for the att/tmo people.

Porting without a guide is logical trial and error. You start with the easy stuff like deleting carrier specific apps and permissions. Replacing the files that contain ril. Replace the kernel. Change the build.prop. open and edit if necessary all the xml files. Open and if necessary edit the CSC. If it's still not working at that point you need to decompile a few system apps and like 4 framework jar files. Or replace those files with Verizon equivalents.

I'm working on a full list for devs to use with a package file of stock files. It should help, but it still won't make a newb a dev.