• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Root 2.3.3 On a Mac WITH OEM Unlock!

Search This thread

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
If you're looking for a guide on how to root on Windows, there is a fantastic guide here written by W0lv3r1n3!!

I know there is a stickied guide for this but it hasn't been updated since 2.3.1 so I decided to update it a little bit just to make things easier for people. Credit for this goes to Amin Sabet and DistortedLoop with a few changes/additions by me.

Warning: If you break your phone trying this, I am not responsible. I do not guarantee that the following is safe or that the steps are correct. Rooting your phone voids the warranty. I have no responsibility for anything that occurs as a result of your following these directions! I cannot provide any support nor guide you in undoing this process and restoring the phone to factory condition.

This process will wipe your phone. Ie, you will lose all your apps/data on your phone and have to reinstall them. It will also wipe your external storage, so back that up prior to proceeding if you want to keep anything.

1) Download this file (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22368847/adb-fastboot.zip) and unzip it to your desktop (Inside you'll find all the files you need to proceed including "adb", "fastboot", "recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img", and "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip").

2) On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>Applications. Select "Development" and check the box next to "USB debugging"

3) Connect the phone to your Mac via the USB cable

4) Open a Terminal window on your Mac (Applications>Utilities>Terminal), and copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader

Hit "Return" and wait for your phone to to reboot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode

5) If your Bootloader screen says "LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED" then skip to Step 6. If it says "LOCK STATE - LOCKED" then copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot oem unlock

Hit "Return" and on your phone will prompt you to confirm and warn you that you are going to lose everything. Confirm. At this point you will have an unlocked bootloader.

6) Copy/paste the following into the Terminal window:

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Hit "Return" again and wait for recovery to boot.

For the following steps while in Recovery, use "Volume Down" to highlight a selection and "Power" to choose that selection:

8) Choose "mounts and storage"

9) Choose "mount USB storage". Your phone should now be mounted on the Mac as a Device called "NO NAME"

10) Move the zip file "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" from the "adb-fastboot" folder to the "NO NAME" Device on you computer.

11) Eject/unmount your phone in the Finder on your Mac.

12) On your phone, choose "Unmount"

13) Choose "mount /system"

14) Choose "+++++Go Back+++++"

15) Choose "install zip from sdcard"

16) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"

17) Choose "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"

Some people with new Nexus S' are finding that the file discussed in the following steps does not exist. If you cannot find it but can still reboot into Clock Work Recovery Mod then don't worry, you're still rooted and fine!

At this point you have root, but your phone will continue to replace ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To prevent this, do the following:

1) Reboot your phone, and download the app "Root Explorer" from the Market

2) Open Root Explorer and navigate to the "etc" directory.

3) Tap on the gray box that says "Mount R/W"

4) Tap and hold on the file "install-recovery.sh" and rename this file to "install-recovery.sh.old"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Updated for ICS and included instructions in the zip!

5) Download the app "ROM Manager"

6) Open ROM Manager and choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". At this point you are all set :).

Last edited:

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
Mods any chance we can get this stickied to replace the old one? There seems to be some confusion about using the old version to root.

Reactions: owlmatt

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
any guides to root 2.3.3 for windows?

Honestly, its a very similar process. Just download a different version of the SDK and make sure you put the recovery image in the folder of the installed SDK called tools. Then when you get to executing the commands do this:

Code:
cd *remove the asterisks and type the file path to the directory for the tools folder of your SDK folder in program files*

Then remove the
Code:
desktop/adb-fastboot/

and just type the other parts.

Reactions: owlmatt

owlmatt

Apr 30, 2008
im getting this error message "cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img'"

so stuck on step 6. any advice?

thanks

Also, curious because now I have an unlocked bootloader but nothing else has been done. This shouldn't be an issue I assume.....

Last edited:

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
I've never heard of someone having that issue. Try the command fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Sent from my MattedBlues CM7 Google Nexus S!

owlmatt

Apr 30, 2008
-bash: fastboot: command not found
Is what it staid after trying that. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Have rooted several phones before.

owlmatt

Apr 30, 2008
This could be the place I screwed up. I've never used the SDK on a mac and don't have a pc. I downloaded the files, used eclipse and loaded up everything it asked me to do.

I will look around for others guides on this maybe.

Maybe I need to learn more about android SDK, but I tried to follow all the instructions. One thing that was a problem was using the newest version of eclipse. It wouldn't install any add ons so I went to the older 3.4 version.

I would go to help, install new software, click on development tools, sign the terms then always get an error loading the software. This step does work on version 3.4. I guess I'm a real new noob at SDK.

Last edited:

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
This could be the place I screwed up. I've never used the SDK on a mac and don't have a pc. I downloaded the files, used eclipse and loaded up everything it asked me to do.

I will look around for others guides on this maybe.

Maybe I need to learn more about android SDK, but I tried to follow all the instructions. One thing that was a problem was using the newest version of eclipse. It wouldn't install any add ons so I went to the older 3.4 version.

I would go to help, install new software, click on development tools, sign the terms then always get an error loading the software. This step does work on version 3.4. I guess I'm a real new noob at SDK.

Oh no! I see where I screwed up in my guide...I'm sorry I see it clearly now...don't know how I missed it before.

instead of

Code:
~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

type

Code:
~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

owlmatt

Apr 30, 2008
Still the same result for me. Sucks. I had moved the recovery image into the SDK to match you code, previously as I i've been trying everything I know.

Last edited:

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
Still the same result for me. Sucks. I had moved the recovery image into the SDK to match you code, previously as I i've been trying everything I know.

Okay I have one last idea...I'll grab the link then edit this with the stuff...brb

Download this SDK http://www.box.net/shared/ljhg8t5sjh it should have everything including an older version of CWM which should still work (again unzip it to your desktop) and try using this command:

Code:
~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.0-crespo.img

If it works you can flash the newest version of CWM through rom manager later.

Last edited:

owlmatt

Apr 30, 2008
Happy to if you change your mind. Just post your paypal. Otherwise Thanks again. I hit thanks on the site as well a bunch of times.

Time to start flashing and overclocking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're looking for a guide on how to root on Windows, there is a fantastic guide here written by W0lv3r1n3!!

I know there is a stickied guide for this but it hasn't been updated since 2.3.1 so I decided to update it a little bit just to make things easier for people. Credit for this goes to Amin Sabet and DistortedLoop with a few changes/additions by me.

Warning: If you break your phone trying this, I am not responsible. I do not guarantee that the following is safe or that the steps are correct. Rooting your phone voids the warranty. I have no responsibility for anything that occurs as a result of your following these directions! I cannot provide any support nor guide you in undoing this process and restoring the phone to factory condition.

This process will wipe your phone. Ie, you will lose all your apps/data on your phone and have to reinstall them. It will also wipe your external storage, so back that up prior to proceeding if you want to keep anything.

1) Download this file (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22368847/adb-fastboot.zip) and unzip it to your desktop (Inside you'll find all the files you need to proceed including "adb", "fastboot", "recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img", and "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip").

2) On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>Applications. Select "Development" and check the box next to "USB debugging"

3) Connect the phone to your Mac via the USB cable

4) Open a Terminal window on your Mac (Applications>Utilities>Terminal), and copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
    ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader

Hit "Return" and wait for your phone to to reboot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode

5) If your Bootloader screen says "LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED" then skip to Step 6. If it says "LOCK STATE - LOCKED" then copy/paste the following into the Terminal:

Code:
    ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot oem unlock

Hit "Return" and on your phone will prompt you to confirm and warn you that you are going to lose everything. Confirm. At this point you will have an unlocked bootloader.

6) Copy/paste the following into the Terminal window:

Code:
    ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Hit "Return" again and wait for recovery to boot.

For the following steps while in Recovery, use "Volume Down" to highlight a selection and "Power" to choose that selection:

8) Choose "mounts and storage"

9) Choose "mount USB storage". Your phone should now be mounted on the Mac as a Device called "NO NAME"

10) Move the zip file "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" from the "adb-fastboot" folder to the "NO NAME" Device on you computer.

11) Eject/unmount your phone in the Finder on your Mac.

12) On your phone, choose "Unmount"

13) Choose "mount /system"

14) Choose "+++++Go Back+++++"

15) Choose "install zip from sdcard"

16) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"

17) Choose "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"

Some people with new Nexus S' are finding that the file discussed in the following steps does not exist. If you cannot find it but can still reboot into Clock Work Recovery Mod then don't worry, you're still rooted and fine!

At this point you have root, but your phone will continue to replace ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To prevent this, do the following:

1) Reboot your phone, and download the app "Root Explorer" from the Market

2) Open Root Explorer and navigate to the "etc" directory.

3) Tap on the gray box that says "Mount R/W"

4) Tap and hold on the file "install-recovery.sh" and rename this file to "install-recovery.sh.old"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Updated for ICS and included instructions in the zip!

5) Download the app "ROM Manager"

6) Open ROM Manager and choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". At this point you are all set :).

Okay I have one last idea...I'll grab the link then edit this with the stuff...brb

Download this SDK http://www.box.net/shared/ljhg8t5sjh it should have everything including an older version of CWM which should still work (again unzip it to your desktop) and try using this command:

Code:
    ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/fastboot flash recovery ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.0-crespo.img

If it works you can flash the newest version of CWM through rom manager later.
    Mods any chance we can get this stickied to replace the old one? There seems to be some confusion about using the old version to root.
    any guides to root 2.3.3 for windows?

Honestly, its a very similar process. Just download a different version of the SDK and make sure you put the recovery image in the folder of the installed SDK called tools. Then when you get to executing the commands do this:

Code:
    cd *remove the asterisks and type the file path to the directory for the tools folder of your SDK folder in program files*

Then remove the
    Code:
    desktop/adb-fastboot/

and just type the other parts.

You think its enough of a difference to switch this with the other stickied thread on rooting for a mac jlevy?