[GUIDE] Root, Bootloader Unlocks, and More!

Search This thread

AptLogic

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 17, 2016
Everywhere and Nowhere at Once
Greetings from the AT&T S5 Forum!
We've recently discovered the usability of engineering firmwares in our journey to get root, as outlined here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/guide-merry-christmas-heres-t3516196

Now, I'm here to try to bring this same method to you guys! With the help of @jrkruse, here are the root instructions:
How it works:
These engineering firmwares are usually based on KitKat, and have their SELinux set to PERMISSIVE. This not only leaves the firmware very vulnerable to towelroot, but it also keeps SELinux from raining on our parade.
Thanks again to @jrkruse for the updated root instructions, and @mohammad.afaneh for the Safestrap! :)
Revised October 6, 2018.

Directions:
Before you get going, use this APK to check your eMMC chip's CID:
eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Your CID Number will be the first two numbers in the eMMC Box under "CID"
If the first two digits are "15," your bootloader is unlockable and you can install TWRP/AOSP ROMs.
If the first two digits are "11," your bootloader is not unlockable, but you can use rooted Lollipop ROMs that are based on TouchWiz (with the help of SafeStrap). You can also use non-rooted Marshmallow ROMs (based on TouchWiz) and flash mods with SafeStrap.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF NOW, YOUR STORAGE WILL BE WIPED!

If your eMMC CID starts with "15," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_15_Root_Bootloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot the phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the "COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5" firmware in the AP Slot

4. Flash and let the phone process the file. It will reboot twice and you should be dropped into Android within a minute and a half.

5. Copy the following files to your phone:
"RootS5" Folder and "EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip",
and EMMC_15_VZW_QB2_STOCK_MAGISK_ROOT.zip

6. Use the File Manager (you can find it in the app drawer) to install Superuser.apk, Busybox.apk, tr_v2.apk, and SafeStrapKK.apk . Do not open anything yet.

7. Open towelroot and click "MAKE IT RAIN". It should tell you you have succeeded. Otherwise, reboot and try again.

8. Now open SuperSU and click "New User" to install it.
Once done, open SuperSU and update the SU binaries using the "NORMAL" method. It will tell you you need to reboot, but you can skip that. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

9. Now open the BusyBox app, grant SuperSU access and install BusyBox.

10. Now open SafeStrap, grant SuperSu access and click "install recovery". If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install, make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app (it will tell you if BusyBox is installed). If its not installed, click "install" again, reboot the phone, re-open SafeStrap and try to install recovery again

11. Once SafeStrap Recovery is installed click "reboot to SafeStrap Recovery".

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery choose install and select EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

13. Install the zip. The phone will power off. Reboot the phone to TWRP Recovery with Pwr+VolUp+Home

14. You will now have an Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP recovery Installed. Now whoose Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik Cache; Data; System; Cache, and swipe the swipe to wipe bar. When done, click the back button, click Install, and choose:
EMMC_15_VZW_QB2_STOCK_MAGISK_ROOT.zip
You're done! You will have stock rooted Marshmallow QB2 Build installed with an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery.

If your eMMC CID starts with "11," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_11_ Root S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot Phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot.

4. Flash and let the phone reboot. It will reboot to recovery and finish install then it will reboot and take about 20 seconds to boot.

5. Copy the following to the phone:
Root S5 Folder, EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip, EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip, and the TouchWiz ROM you want to install.

6. Use the File Manager (you can find it in the app drawer) to install Superuser.apk, Busybox.apk, tr_v2.apk, and SafeStrapKK.apk . Do not open anything yet.

7. Open towelroot and click "MAKE IT RAIN". It should tell you you have succeeded. Otherwise, reboot and try again.

Once done, open SuperSU and update the SU binaries using the "NORMAL" method. It will tell you you need to reboot, but you can skip that. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

10. Now open SafeStrap, grant SuperSu access and click "install recovery". If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install, make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app (it will tell you if BusyBox is installed). If its not installed, click "install" again, reboot the phone, re-open SafeStrap and try to install recovery again

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery, choose what firmware you want to be on:
Lollipop 5.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip
Marsmhallow 6.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip

13. Install the firmware zip, and then flash a TouchWiz Lollipop ROM. (Here is the latest stock rooted Lollipop Rom: VZW_BPB1_ODEX_DEODEX_V9.zip). You may want to download a copy of the latest SuperSu zip, and flash if installing a Lollipop ROM that is not rooted. Remember that you cannot root Marshmallow ROMs, so do not try and flash the SuperSu zip on a Marshmallow Rom (you will softbrick if you do).

14. After you install any Lollipop ROM, you may need to reinstall SafeStrap Recovery. Most of the time you don't have to and SafeStrap can be reached by flashing the KitKat Kernel in Download Mode with ODIN. But, in some cases, when flashing a ROM that flashes a system.img instead of a system folder, you may lose SafeStrap during install. This will be the case if you install the above ROM. You can reinstall it after the ROM is booted up. A Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk is included that will flash a version of SafeStrap that will allow you to reboot to SafeStrap Recovery without flashing a KitKat kernel in Odin. Install BusyBox again from the BusyBox App in the RootS5 Folder. Install Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk and make sure to grant SuperSU access. It may take a few seconds to prompt. If SafeStrap is not installed, click "Install Recovery". If Safestrap is still installed click on "Uninstall Recovery", close the app, and reopen it. It should say recovery is not installed. Now click on "Install Recovery". If this doesn't work, reboot the phone and try again. Once installed, you can just click reboot to SafeStrap from the SafeStrap app and you will reboot straight to SafeStrap. Remember to flash the appropriate Kernel when leaving SafeStrap!
Download and place these on your device:
LL_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip, and
MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip
If something goes wrong you can usually get back to SafeStrap by simply rebooting the phone to Download Mode and flashing NI2_stock_kernel.tar.md5. When the phone reboots, watch for the SafeStrap splash screen and enter SafeStrap.

WARNING: Do NOT change ANY boot options in SafeStrap. ROM slots cannot be used, so you must flash to the Stock ROM slot EVERY TIME OR YOU WILL SOFTBRICK. Some functions don't work in SafeStrap, like choosing an image file to flash directly. All image files must be flashed via zip file.

For CID11 users that have followed the above instructions and want to use Marshmallow:
QA1_MM_Firmware_With_QA1_Bootloader_CAUTION.zip=Marshmallow Firmware (use if flashing a MM TW ROM other than the one posted below). Just remember there is no root for Marshmallow ROMs, but having SafeStrap installed gives you the ability to do things like flash debloat Scripts, Mods, etc and the ability to go back to a rooted Lollipop ROM without going through the root process all over again. Simply flash the Lollipop ROM and EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip.

Here is a special ROM that includes SafeStrap, so you can flash a Marshmallow ROM and still be able to use SafeStrap to flash things. You will not have root but you can still access SafeStrap. VZW_QB2_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY_V1.zip More Instructions about this can be found HERE

When using a MM ROM, it is necessary to flash the KitKat Kernel with Odin to enter SafeStrap. When leaving SafeStrap, make sure to flash MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip which is necessary to leave SafeStrap (This zip will be placed on storage automatically with the above ROM and you also download it in instructions above.) Just navigate to the .MM_KERNEL_SS-FF folder located on both Internal and External storage.

Last edited:

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Before You Try This Method You Need To Download And Install
eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk And Check Your CID
1.png

Your CID Number Will Be The First Two Numbers In eMMC Box under CID

15=Bootloader That Can Be Unlocked And Custom TWRP Recovery Can Be Installed

11=Bootloader That Can Not Be Unlocked You Can Only Have Root Through Lollipop 5.0. With SafeStrap Recovery Or FlashFire. MM 6.0 You Cannot Have Root But You Can Still Have Access To SafeStrap Recovery Only. This Will Allow Easy DownGrade To Lollipop To Reroot And Flashing Of Certain Modified MarshMallow Roms And Mod Zips

THESE METHODS WILL WIPE YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE​

Directions For Users With CID 15' Sasmung eMMC
1. Download EMMC_15_Root_Booloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Unzip Copy RootS5 Folder To Your External SDCard and EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

3. Reboot Phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

4. Use Odin 3.12 and load the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot

5. Flash let phone reboot. It will reboot to recovery and finish install then it will reboot and take a few minutes to get booted up.

6. Once computer recognizes the phone If you didnt have an ExtSDCard copy the Internal Storage
EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

7. Use the File Manager in the Apps drawer of the phone and install Apex_Lancher.apk press home button set Apex as default launcher continue to install Superuser.apk and the Busybox.apk and the SafeStrapKK.apk do not open any of those yet

8. Now Install tr_v2.apk open and CLICK MAKE IT RAIN . It should tell you you have succeeded.

9. Now Open Superuser app and click install binary normally. Once done it will tell you you need to reboot. You can skip doing this. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

10. Now Open BusyBox app grant SuperSU access and install BusyBox

11. Now Open Safestrap grant SuperSu access and click install recovery. If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app it will tell you if BusyBox is installed if not click install again reboot phone and open Safestrap and try to install recovery again

12. Once Safestrap recovery is installed click reboot to safestrap recovery

13. Once in safestrap recovery Choose Install And Select
EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip[/COLOR]

14. Install Zip phone will Power Off Reboot Phone To Recovery. (Pwr+VolUp+Home)

15. You will now have Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP recovery Installed. Now Choose Wipe. Choose Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik Cache; Data; System; Cache Click Swipe to wipe bar when don click back button Click Install and Choose
Your done you will have stock rooted Marshmallow QB2 Build installed with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery

Directions For Users With CID 11' Toshiba eMMC
1. Download EMMC_11_ Root S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Unzip Copy RootS5 Folder To Your External SDCard and EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip and the EMMC_11_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip and ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip .

4. Use Odin 3.12 and load the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot

5. Flash let phone reboot. It will reboot to recovery and finish install then it will reboot and take a few minutes to get booted up.

6. Once computer recognizes the phone If you didnt have an ExtSDCard copy the Root S5 Folder to internal storage of phone and the EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip and the EMMC_11_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip to Internal Storage and ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip .

7. Use the File Manager in the Apps drawer of the phone and install Apex_Lancher.apk press home button set Apex as default launcher continue to install Superuser.apk and the Busybox.apk and the SafeStrapKK.apk do not open any of those yet

8. Now Install tr_v2.apk open and CLICK MAKE IT RAIN . It should tell you you have succeeded.

9. Now Open Superuser app and click install binary normally. Once done it will tell you you need to reboot. You can skip doing this. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

11. Now Open Safestrap grant SuperSu access and click install recovery. If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app it will tell you if BusyBox is installed if not click install again reboot phone and open Safestrap and try to install recovery again

12. Do Not Change Or Mess With Boot Options In SafeStrap. Rom Slots Cannot Be Used You Must Flash To Stock Rom Slot. Some Functions Do not work in Safestrap Click Choosing a image file to flash directly. All image files must be flashed via zip file

13. Once Safestrap recovery is installed click reboot to safestrap recovery

14. Once in safestrap recovery Choose Wipe. Click on advanced wipe. Select Dalvick Cache; Data; System: Cache. Click Swipe to wipe bar. When finished wiping click the back button

15. Install ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip

16. If your running ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip SafeStrap is preinstalled and there is no need to flash kernels to exit and leave safestrap it is done automatically.

If You Want To Flash A MarshMallow Rom And Skip Installing LL Rom Click Here
In SafeStrap Flash EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip nothing else needed. You will not have root but you can still access SafeStrap.
When Using EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip It is necessary to Flash Kit Kat Kernel with Odin to enter SafeStrap But when leaving you dont need to flash any kernels simply leave safestrap. This is only for this rom EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip If running Other MM Roms When leaving Safestrap Make sure to flash MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip which is necessay to leave SafeStrap (This zip will be placed on storage automatically with my above rom and you also downloaded it in instructions above.) Just navigate to .MM_KERNEL_SS-FF folder located on both Internal and external storage

Last edited:

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
The OP has been updated to reflect @jrkruse 's new instructions
:)
I just cleaned them up a little I'll Pm you the changes

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I cant seem to get the link for locked bootloaders to work... But does this mean that CID 11 people will finally have unlocked bootloaders and can install Lineage OS? may seem like a dumb question...

This does not unlock bootloaders for CID11 people. There will probably never be a bootloader unlock for those people unless the Verizon S5 gets one from Samsung as it grows old and irrelevant.

guitar1238751

Mar 25, 2015
New York City
I was able to successfully flash COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot

After it rebooted to system , I am unable to get the phone to be recognized by windows. When I plug it in I hear the beep that it's plugged in charging, but I cannot find an option for file transfer on the phone itself. I tried a couple different Samsung drivers on Windows but to no avail. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can get it to connect to the pc?

This was one of the drivers I used: (one linked in original thread)
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...NG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe

Last edited:

AptLogic

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 17, 2016
Everywhere and Nowhere at Once
I was able to successfully flash COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot

After it rebooted to system , I am unable to get the phone to be recognized by windows. When I plug it in I hear the beep that it's plugged in charging, but I cannot find an option for file transfer on the phone itself. I tried a couple different Samsung drivers on Windows but to no avail. Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can get it to connect to the pc?
This was one of the drivers I used:
Try rebooting the phone and the PC. I've had that happen before and usually that fixes the problem.

guitar1238751

Mar 25, 2015
New York City
That's peculiar... Have you tried another cord? Otherwise you'll have no choice but to take out the SD card and plug it into the PC manually.
I'll try it again with another cable and laptop. If it still doesn't work I'll copy it directly to the SD card. This is my friend's phone. I'm in class now so when I see him later I'll continue the steps and let you know what happens. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings from the AT&T S5 Forum!
    We've recently discovered the usability of engineering firmwares in our journey to get root, as outlined here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/guide-merry-christmas-heres-t3516196

Now, I'm here to try to bring this same method to you guys! With the help of @jrkruse, here are the root instructions:
    How it works:
    These engineering firmwares are usually based on KitKat, and have their SELinux set to PERMISSIVE. This not only leaves the firmware very vulnerable to towelroot, but it also keeps SELinux from raining on our parade.
    Thanks again to @jrkruse for the updated root instructions, and @mohammad.afaneh for the Safestrap! :)
    Revised October 6, 2018.

Directions:
    Before you get going, use this APK to check your eMMC chip's CID:
    eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Your CID Number will be the first two numbers in the eMMC Box under "CID"
    If the first two digits are "15," your bootloader is unlockable and you can install TWRP/AOSP ROMs.
    If the first two digits are "11," your bootloader is not unlockable, but you can use rooted Lollipop ROMs that are based on TouchWiz (with the help of SafeStrap). You can also use non-rooted Marshmallow ROMs (based on TouchWiz) and flash mods with SafeStrap.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF NOW, YOUR STORAGE WILL BE WIPED!

If your eMMC CID starts with "15," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_15_Root_Bootloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot the phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the "COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5" firmware in the AP Slot

4. Flash and let the phone process the file. It will reboot twice and you should be dropped into Android within a minute and a half.

5. Copy the following files to your phone:
    "RootS5" Folder and "EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip",
    and EMMC_15_VZW_QB2_STOCK_MAGISK_ROOT.zip

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery choose install and select EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

13. Install the zip. The phone will power off. Reboot the phone to TWRP Recovery with Pwr+VolUp+Home

14. You will now have an Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP recovery Installed. Now whoose Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik Cache; Data; System; Cache, and swipe the swipe to wipe bar. When done, click the back button, click Install, and choose:
    You're done! You will have stock rooted Marshmallow QB2 Build installed with an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery.

If your eMMC CID starts with "11," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_11_ Root S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot Phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot.

4. Flash and let the phone reboot. It will reboot to recovery and finish install then it will reboot and take about 20 seconds to boot.

5. Copy the following to the phone:
    Root S5 Folder, EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip, EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip, and the TouchWiz ROM you want to install.

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery, choose what firmware you want to be on:
    Lollipop 5.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip
    Marsmhallow 6.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip

13. Install the firmware zip, and then flash a TouchWiz Lollipop ROM. (Here is the latest stock rooted Lollipop Rom: VZW_BPB1_ODEX_DEODEX_V9.zip). You may want to download a copy of the latest SuperSu zip, and flash if installing a Lollipop ROM that is not rooted. Remember that you cannot root Marshmallow ROMs, so do not try and flash the SuperSu zip on a Marshmallow Rom (you will softbrick if you do).

14. After you install any Lollipop ROM, you may need to reinstall SafeStrap Recovery. Most of the time you don't have to and SafeStrap can be reached by flashing the KitKat Kernel in Download Mode with ODIN. But, in some cases, when flashing a ROM that flashes a system.img instead of a system folder, you may lose SafeStrap during install. This will be the case if you install the above ROM. You can reinstall it after the ROM is booted up. A Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk is included that will flash a version of SafeStrap that will allow you to reboot to SafeStrap Recovery without flashing a KitKat kernel in Odin. Install BusyBox again from the BusyBox App in the RootS5 Folder. Install Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk and make sure to grant SuperSU access. It may take a few seconds to prompt. If SafeStrap is not installed, click "Install Recovery". If Safestrap is still installed click on "Uninstall Recovery", close the app, and reopen it. It should say recovery is not installed. Now click on "Install Recovery". If this doesn't work, reboot the phone and try again. Once installed, you can just click reboot to SafeStrap from the SafeStrap app and you will reboot straight to SafeStrap. Remember to flash the appropriate Kernel when leaving SafeStrap!
    Download and place these on your device:
    LL_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip, and
    MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip
    If something goes wrong you can usually get back to SafeStrap by simply rebooting the phone to Download Mode and flashing NI2_stock_kernel.tar.md5. When the phone reboots, watch for the SafeStrap splash screen and enter SafeStrap.

WARNING: Do NOT change ANY boot options in SafeStrap. ROM slots cannot be used, so you must flash to the Stock ROM slot EVERY TIME OR YOU WILL SOFTBRICK. Some functions don't work in SafeStrap, like choosing an image file to flash directly. All image files must be flashed via zip file.

For CID11 users that have followed the above instructions and want to use Marshmallow:
    QA1_MM_Firmware_With_QA1_Bootloader_CAUTION.zip=Marshmallow Firmware (use if flashing a MM TW ROM other than the one posted below). Just remember there is no root for Marshmallow ROMs, but having SafeStrap installed gives you the ability to do things like flash debloat Scripts, Mods, etc and the ability to go back to a rooted Lollipop ROM without going through the root process all over again. Simply flash the Lollipop ROM and EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip.

Here is a special ROM that includes SafeStrap, so you can flash a Marshmallow ROM and still be able to use SafeStrap to flash things. You will not have root but you can still access SafeStrap. VZW_QB2_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY_V1.zip More Instructions about this can be found HERE

When using a MM ROM, it is necessary to flash the KitKat Kernel with Odin to enter SafeStrap. When leaving SafeStrap, make sure to flash MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip which is necessary to leave SafeStrap (This zip will be placed on storage automatically with the above ROM and you also download it in instructions above.) Just navigate to the .MM_KERNEL_SS-FF folder located on both Internal and External storage.
    Before You Try This Method You Need To Download And Install
    eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk And Check Your CID
    1.png

Your CID Number Will Be The First Two Numbers In eMMC Box under CID

15=Bootloader That Can Be Unlocked And Custom TWRP Recovery Can Be Installed

11=Bootloader That Can Not Be Unlocked You Can Only Have Root Through Lollipop 5.0. With SafeStrap Recovery Or FlashFire. MM 6.0 You Cannot Have Root But You Can Still Have Access To SafeStrap Recovery Only. This Will Allow Easy DownGrade To Lollipop To Reroot And Flashing Of Certain Modified MarshMallow Roms And Mod Zips

THESE METHODS WILL WIPE YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE​

Directions For Users With CID 15' Sasmung eMMC
    1. Download EMMC_15_Root_Booloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Unzip Copy RootS5 Folder To Your External SDCard and EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

6. Once computer recognizes the phone If you didnt have an ExtSDCard copy the Internal Storage
    EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

12. Once Safestrap recovery is installed click reboot to safestrap recovery

13. Once in safestrap recovery Choose Install And Select
    EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip[/COLOR]

14. Install Zip phone will Power Off Reboot Phone To Recovery. (Pwr+VolUp+Home)

15. You will now have Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP recovery Installed. Now Choose Wipe. Choose Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik Cache; Data; System; Cache Click Swipe to wipe bar when don click back button Click Install and Choose
    Your done you will have stock rooted Marshmallow QB2 Build installed with unlocked bootloader and custom recovery

Directions For Users With CID 11' Toshiba eMMC
    1. Download EMMC_11_ Root S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Unzip Copy RootS5 Folder To Your External SDCard and EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip and the EMMC_11_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip and ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip .

6. Once computer recognizes the phone If you didnt have an ExtSDCard copy the Root S5 Folder to internal storage of phone and the EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip and the EMMC_11_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip to Internal Storage and ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip .

12. Do Not Change Or Mess With Boot Options In SafeStrap. Rom Slots Cannot Be Used You Must Flash To Stock Rom Slot. Some Functions Do not work in Safestrap Click Choosing a image file to flash directly. All image files must be flashed via zip file

13. Once Safestrap recovery is installed click reboot to safestrap recovery

14. Once in safestrap recovery Choose Wipe. Click on advanced wipe. Select Dalvick Cache; Data; System: Cache. Click Swipe to wipe bar. When finished wiping click the back button

15. Install ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip

16. If your running ChooseEMMC_11_PB1_LL_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip SafeStrap is preinstalled and there is no need to flash kernels to exit and leave safestrap it is done automatically.

If You Want To Flash A MarshMallow Rom And Skip Installing LL Rom Click Here
    In SafeStrap Flash EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip nothing else needed. You will not have root but you can still access SafeStrap.
    When Using EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip It is necessary to Flash Kit Kat Kernel with Odin to enter SafeStrap But when leaving you dont need to flash any kernels simply leave safestrap. This is only for this rom EMMC_11_QB2_MM_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY.zip If running Other MM Roms When leaving Safestrap Make sure to flash MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip which is necessay to leave SafeStrap (This zip will be placed on storage automatically with my above rom and you also downloaded it in instructions above.) Just navigate to .MM_KERNEL_SS-FF folder located on both Internal and external storage
    i'll odin my spare s5 to stock later if i get the chance and let you know if this works on my g900v.
    The OP has been updated to reflect @jrkruse 's new instructions
    :)
    I just cleaned them up a little I'll Pm you the changes

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I cant seem to get the link for locked bootloaders to work... But does this mean that CID 11 people will finally have unlocked bootloaders and can install Lineage OS? may seem like a dumb question...

This does not unlock bootloaders for CID11 people. There will probably never be a bootloader unlock for those people unless the Verizon S5 gets one from Samsung as it grows old and irrelevant.
    its uploading sorry it failed at 99 percent
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone