[GUIDE] Root, Bootloader Unlocks, and More!

Search This thread

Reverse-anastomosis

Oct 31, 2018
Goes through Sam Boot twice. Attempts lineage once, then boots back to recovery.
I have this device...x3 one is on lineage 16.0, one is on lineage 14.1 and one is on stock marshmallow
With magisk.

Problem is probably with TWRP. Which version do you have?

Edit: I probably won't be back on this thread for a while, so I'll lay out my suspicion. I think you are still using twrp that comes from the OP. Update to the latest version of twrp then to the super clean install method recommended by @curiousrom. Also update your baseband with the package from lineage developer haggertk found here

https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=142906

I'm not sure why @jrkruse is being so unhelpful they have been instrumental in supporting this device over the years and should have been able to help you. In the future feel free to tag or message me, @curiousrom is also a great resource for this device.

Last edited:

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I have this device...x3 one is on lineage 16.0, one is on lineage 14.1 and one is on stock marshmallow
With magisk.

Edit: I probably won't be back on this thread for a while, so I'll lay out my suspicion. I think you are still using twrp that comes from the OP. Update to the latest version of twrp then to the super clean install method recommended by @curiousrom. Also update your baseband with the package from lineage developer haggertk found here

I'm not sure why @jrkruse is being so unhelpful they have been instrumental in supporting this device over the years and should have been able to help you. In the future feel free to tag or message me, @curiousrom is also a great resource for this device.

Are you really calling me unhelpful. Dude everything I have posted here has been tried and tested by thousands of people but I have long since moved on. Lineage wasn’t even a thing when I left this device so excuse me if im not very helpful on lineage and excuse me if I don’t check these threads daily

Sent from some device I modified

Reverse-anastomosis

Oct 31, 2018
Are you really calling me unhelpful. Dude everything I have posted here has been tried and tested by thousands of people but I have long since moved on. Lineage wasn’t even a thing when I left this device so excuse me if im not very helpful on lineage and excuse me if I don’t check these threads daily

No need to get hot, it wasn't an attack. I was just surprised you weren't able to help. This is a very common problem, and updating twrp is the most obvious and common solution. I'm thankful for all the work that you have put into this device, and even stated so in my post. Take a deep breath and try to see the good instead of the bad.

Edit: I guess I should have said

I'm not sure why @jrkruse has been unable to help you, they have been instrumental to supporting this device over the years.

Last edited:

hoffman1984

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Troy, NY
www.phux.org
With magisk.

If your booted back to twrp try to flash lineage now or boot to stock samsung android 6 rom that you flashed during the process

So yeah I got it sorted anyway. Ended up using the QL1 unlocker zip to sort the issue. The TWRP version that was packaged with that didn't give lineage any issues. Happy to report that I'm all good. And after the add-on su I'm all rooted, too. Thanks man. I know it's probably a huge pain in the ass having someone ask you to guide them through this after writing all of that documenatin but I appreciate it.

Last edited:

hoffman1984

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Troy, NY
www.phux.org
I have everything you need to put you on what ever firmware you choose with unlocked bootloader if android 6 is what you want then flash that stuff

So, question. Do you have everything i need to put me on lineage 17.1 (Which i'm running), rooted? lol This has been a problem. Magisk edits the boot, so kind of asses it out. Wondering if anyone else has figured through this issue. I'm looking for ways to include piecing together a kind of universal root from an arm64 addonsu someone compiled on the web. Anyhow, cheers for all the tips going forward. Think i'm starting to get the hang of it all again. Just wondering if you have anymore tricks up your sleeve. Thanks again. =)

guidecca

Feb 5, 2011
Any way to get root beyond Android v. 5.0 for Galaxy S5 Verizon?

Samsung Galaxy S5 Verizon with CID 11. My phone is root with Lollipop but some applications I want to run need Android 7.0. Is there any way to get beyond Android 5.0? Thanks for any help!!

---------- Post added 4th July 2020 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 3rd July 2020 at 11:56 PM ----------

Has anyone worked the emmc 11 method on a verizon g900v?

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S5 Verizon CID 11 with JRKruse's instructions. It gives you Android 5.0 which is dated but stable. I'm trying to find out if there is a way to get beyond v. 5.0 to v. 7.0. Do you need help?

S5 G900V, Magisk & Root

...lineage 17.1 (Which i'm running), rooted? lol This has been a problem. Magisk edits the boot, so kind of asses it out...

Magisk modifies boot.img which is the kernel.

Magisk does not touch the S5's bootloader which is aboot.

So you can install Magisk safely on your S5 G900V without re-locking the bootloader.

i'mtryingokay

Jul 31, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm completely new at this so forgive me if I'm missing a simple solution

I followed the CID 15 instructions and once flashed the first file via odin my wifi stopped working completely. I've tried it several times and randomly only one time did the wifi work but I failed to install the version of android I wanted (I apparently need androidn 10 because this is to allow an old phone without data to be used for receiving work emails via wifi after I let my employer have full access to the phone, which is why I wont use my personal phone).

The error I get when trying to connect is "wifi authentication error" no matter what network it is and I've tried a factory reset several times.

Any idea what I need to do to fix the wifi? I'm assuming I need an updated firmware or something but I dont know how to find out what version I need

aslamgee

Aug 6, 2020
Successfully rooted but few things i want to know

rooted from cid 15 instructions
1ST : this appear after rooting my s5 kernel is not seandroid enforcing & set warranty bit: kernel. every time moblie restarts. what is this? did i do something wrong?

2nd : after rooting can i install other customs os. if yes can u tell me some best roms names.

3rd : can i unroot my mobbile?

your effort is appreciable. thx buddy.

Last edited:
See, I still have my S5. I haven't tried Safe strapping 6.0.1

But if we can flash zips via SS to a stock MM build, hold my beer, I still thinks that Marshmallow is rootable on CID 11. Which is what I got.

Wasn't that the major milestone on the Note8 and 9.0?

But we have to think. The CID 11 G900V is able to be dirty cow patched on 6.0.1 && Has a leaked flash programmer &&&& we thus have an EDL CLEAN Safestrap potentially.

Given the Trinity. Root is within sight. I just need a new computer. I got hard drives w/ WSLv2, Ubu20.04, and x86 9.0.

If I can get a setup I might just be able to spruce up that GHR console for stock Marshmallow without trying to RE a rawprogram XML.

I'm still looking to try.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
See, I still have my S5. I haven't tried Safe strapping 6.0.1

But if we can flash zips via SS to a stock MM build, hold my beer, I still thinks that Marshmallow is rootable on CID 11. Which is what I got.

Wasn't that the major milestone on the Note8 and 9.0?

But we have to think. The CID 11 G900V is able to be dirty cow patched on 6.0.1 && Has a leaked flash programmer &&&& we thus have an EDL CLEAN Safestrap potentially.

Given the Trinity. Root is within sight. I just need a new computer. I got hard drives w/ WSLv2, Ubu20.04, and x86 9.0.

If I can get a setup I might just be able to spruce up that GHR console for stock Marshmallow without trying to RE a rawprogram XML.

I'm still looking to try.

I actually have a way you can boot safestrap on marshmallow on s5 without using a computer. Even if dirty cow root worked it’s only temporary so safestrap is much better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a way you can boot safestrap on marshmallow on s5 without using a computer. Even if dirty cow root worked it’s only temporary so safestrap is much better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would only be temporary, but it could be scripted to start on each boot maybe. But could dirtycow also be a way of patching in a version of Elliwigy's persist root method?

As far as I remember though, there actually was a caveat to the exploit that was: if you could manage to get your patched binary to EXACTLY Equal the original filesize (i.e. Character for Character) the 6.0.1 kernel could be fooled into not panicking and not trigger the restoration of the stock filesystem. Hard to do sometimes though with closed source custom OEM builds like Samsung. But could be possible still.

That's why I was considering the dirtycow root shell idea, because then we could use the cache partition and serve as a means to just run arbitrary root commands when the need suited. It would also lend itself to being an independent library included into a new APK that would serve as a root broker.

Because what I really want on my S5 is a root authorized Termux environment.

Last edited:

GalaxiaUFO

Sep 22, 2020
Greetings from the AT&T S5 Forum!
We've recently discovered the usability of engineering firmwares in our journey to get root, as outlined here: https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/guide-merry-christmas-heres-t3516196
Directions:
Before you get going, use this APK to check your eMMC chip's CID:
eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
[/HIDE]

I try all steps when i try to do the step 13. Install the zip. The phone will power off. Reboot the phone to TWRP Recovery with Pwr+VolUp+Home
My phone show me this msg:
Custom Binary Blocked by Reactivation Lock
SECURE FAIL: RECOVERY

And when i try to turn phone off i show me a loop screen with:
Samsung Galaxy s5
A locked open image
Custom
Power by
android
I have to remove the Battery and i only have access to Download phone option, my phone dont reboot anymore also to android. :(((
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V from Verizon with Android 6.0.1
Android Recovery
MMB29M.G900VVRU2DQL 1
Verizon/kltevzw/kltevzw
6.0.1/MMB29M/ G900VVRU2DQL1

Build number
MMB29.G900VVRU2DQL1

CID: 1501004d414732474300231b9

I do not see any file "EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_ AIO.zip in archive EMMC_15_Root_Bootloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

I try everthing and nothing works to Root and bootload my phone somebody can help please?

Last edited:

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
if phone is CID=11 running 6.0, is it possible to root even if it's only temporary while staying on stock 6.0? I just want to freeze/uninstall all the garbage on this phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings from the AT&T S5 Forum!
    We've recently discovered the usability of engineering firmwares in our journey to get root, as outlined here: https://xdaforums.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/guide-merry-christmas-heres-t3516196

Now, I'm here to try to bring this same method to you guys! With the help of @jrkruse, here are the root instructions:
    How it works:
    These engineering firmwares are usually based on KitKat, and have their SELinux set to PERMISSIVE. This not only leaves the firmware very vulnerable to towelroot, but it also keeps SELinux from raining on our parade.
    Thanks again to @jrkruse for the updated root instructions, and @mohammad.afaneh for the Safestrap! :)
    Revised October 6, 2018.

Directions:
    Before you get going, use this APK to check your eMMC chip's CID:
    eMMC_CID_Checker_.apk[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

Your CID Number will be the first two numbers in the eMMC Box under "CID"
    If the first two digits are "15," your bootloader is unlockable and you can install TWRP/AOSP ROMs.
    If the first two digits are "11," your bootloader is not unlockable, but you can use rooted Lollipop ROMs that are based on TouchWiz (with the help of SafeStrap). You can also use non-rooted Marshmallow ROMs (based on TouchWiz) and flash mods with SafeStrap.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF NOW, YOUR STORAGE WILL BE WIPED!

If your eMMC CID starts with "15," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_15_Root_Bootloader_Unlock S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot the phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the "COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5" firmware in the AP Slot

4. Flash and let the phone process the file. It will reboot twice and you should be dropped into Android within a minute and a half.

5. Copy the following files to your phone:
    "RootS5" Folder and "EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip",
    and EMMC_15_VZW_QB2_STOCK_MAGISK_ROOT.zip

6. Use the File Manager (you can find it in the app drawer) to install Superuser.apk, Busybox.apk, tr_v2.apk, and SafeStrapKK.apk . Do not open anything yet.

7. Open towelroot and click "MAKE IT RAIN". It should tell you you have succeeded. Otherwise, reboot and try again.

8. Now open SuperSU and click "New User" to install it.
    Once done, open SuperSU and update the SU binaries using the "NORMAL" method. It will tell you you need to reboot, but you can skip that. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

9. Now open the BusyBox app, grant SuperSU access and install BusyBox.

10. Now open SafeStrap, grant SuperSu access and click "install recovery". If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install, make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app (it will tell you if BusyBox is installed). If its not installed, click "install" again, reboot the phone, re-open SafeStrap and try to install recovery again

11. Once SafeStrap Recovery is installed click "reboot to SafeStrap Recovery".

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery choose install and select EMMC_15_SafeStrap_QB2_6_0_1_MM_Bootloader_Unlock_AIO.zip

13. Install the zip. The phone will power off. Reboot the phone to TWRP Recovery with Pwr+VolUp+Home

14. You will now have an Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP recovery Installed. Now whoose Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Select Dalvik Cache; Data; System; Cache, and swipe the swipe to wipe bar. When done, click the back button, click Install, and choose:
    EMMC_15_VZW_QB2_STOCK_MAGISK_ROOT.zip
    You're done! You will have stock rooted Marshmallow QB2 Build installed with an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery.

If your eMMC CID starts with "11," start here:

1. Download and unzip this file: EMMC_11_ Root S5_QB2_PB1.zip

2. Reboot Phone to Download Mode (Pwr +Vol Dwn+Home)

3. Use Odin 3.12 and load the COMBINATION_VZW_FA44_G900VVRU2APA1_VZW2APA1_2572656_REV00_user_mid_noship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in the AP Slot.

4. Flash and let the phone reboot. It will reboot to recovery and finish install then it will reboot and take about 20 seconds to boot.

5. Copy the following to the phone:
    Root S5 Folder, EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip, EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip, and the TouchWiz ROM you want to install.

6. Use the File Manager (you can find it in the app drawer) to install Superuser.apk, Busybox.apk, tr_v2.apk, and SafeStrapKK.apk . Do not open anything yet.

7. Open towelroot and click "MAKE IT RAIN". It should tell you you have succeeded. Otherwise, reboot and try again.

8. Now open SuperSU and click "New User" to install it.
    Once done, open SuperSU and update the SU binaries using the "NORMAL" method. It will tell you you need to reboot, but you can skip that. (If the Superuser install hangs for more than 5 minutes reboot phone and try to install it again.)

9. Now open the BusyBox app, grant SuperSU access and install BusyBox.

10. Now open SafeStrap, grant SuperSu access and click "install recovery". If the SafeStrap recovery fails to install, make sure BusyBox is installed by rerunning the BusyBox app (it will tell you if BusyBox is installed). If its not installed, click "install" again, reboot the phone, re-open SafeStrap and try to install recovery again

11. Once SafeStrap Recovery is installed click "reboot to SafeStrap Recovery".

12. Once in SafeStrap Recovery, choose what firmware you want to be on:
    Lollipop 5.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip
    Marsmhallow 6.0 Firmware=EMMC_11_QA1_6_0_1_MM_Firmware_Bootloaders.zip

13. Install the firmware zip, and then flash a TouchWiz Lollipop ROM. (Here is the latest stock rooted Lollipop Rom: VZW_BPB1_ODEX_DEODEX_V9.zip). You may want to download a copy of the latest SuperSu zip, and flash if installing a Lollipop ROM that is not rooted. Remember that you cannot root Marshmallow ROMs, so do not try and flash the SuperSu zip on a Marshmallow Rom (you will softbrick if you do).

14. After you install any Lollipop ROM, you may need to reinstall SafeStrap Recovery. Most of the time you don't have to and SafeStrap can be reached by flashing the KitKat Kernel in Download Mode with ODIN. But, in some cases, when flashing a ROM that flashes a system.img instead of a system folder, you may lose SafeStrap during install. This will be the case if you install the above ROM. You can reinstall it after the ROM is booted up. A Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk is included that will flash a version of SafeStrap that will allow you to reboot to SafeStrap Recovery without flashing a KitKat kernel in Odin. Install BusyBox again from the BusyBox App in the RootS5 Folder. Install Safestrap-G900V-4.04_LL_MM.apk and make sure to grant SuperSU access. It may take a few seconds to prompt. If SafeStrap is not installed, click "Install Recovery". If Safestrap is still installed click on "Uninstall Recovery", close the app, and reopen it. It should say recovery is not installed. Now click on "Install Recovery". If this doesn't work, reboot the phone and try again. Once installed, you can just click reboot to SafeStrap from the SafeStrap app and you will reboot straight to SafeStrap. Remember to flash the appropriate Kernel when leaving SafeStrap!
    Download and place these on your device:
    LL_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip, and
    MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip
    If something goes wrong you can usually get back to SafeStrap by simply rebooting the phone to Download Mode and flashing NI2_stock_kernel.tar.md5. When the phone reboots, watch for the SafeStrap splash screen and enter SafeStrap.

WARNING: Do NOT change ANY boot options in SafeStrap. ROM slots cannot be used, so you must flash to the Stock ROM slot EVERY TIME OR YOU WILL SOFTBRICK. Some functions don't work in SafeStrap, like choosing an image file to flash directly. All image files must be flashed via zip file.

For CID11 users that have followed the above instructions and want to use Marshmallow:
    QA1_MM_Firmware_With_QA1_Bootloader_CAUTION.zip=Marshmallow Firmware (use if flashing a MM TW ROM other than the one posted below). Just remember there is no root for Marshmallow ROMs, but having SafeStrap installed gives you the ability to do things like flash debloat Scripts, Mods, etc and the ability to go back to a rooted Lollipop ROM without going through the root process all over again. Simply flash the Lollipop ROM and EMMC_11_PB1_5_0_1_LL_Firmware_Bootloader.zip.

Here is a special ROM that includes SafeStrap, so you can flash a Marshmallow ROM and still be able to use SafeStrap to flash things. You will not have root but you can still access SafeStrap. VZW_QB2_STOCK_SAFESTRAP_ONLY_V1.zip More Instructions about this can be found HERE

When using a MM ROM, it is necessary to flash the KitKat Kernel with Odin to enter SafeStrap. When leaving SafeStrap, make sure to flash MM_KERNEL_SS-FF_Flashable.zip which is necessary to leave SafeStrap (This zip will be placed on storage automatically with the above ROM and you also download it in instructions above.) Just navigate to the .MM_KERNEL_SS-FF folder located on both Internal and External storage.
    The methods in post 1 are seriously outdated the easiest method to obtain unlocks or update or downgrade unlocked bootloaders can be found below they were updated December of 2021

EMMC 15 Unlocking Bootloader

EMMC 15 Updating Unlocked Bootloaders Or Downgrading

For Rooting EMMC 11 Phones

i'll odin my spare s5 to stock later if i get the chance and let you know if this works on my g900v.
    The OP has been updated to reflect @jrkruse 's new instructions
    :)
    I just cleaned them up a little I'll Pm you the changes

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I cant seem to get the link for locked bootloaders to work... But does this mean that CID 11 people will finally have unlocked bootloaders and can install Lineage OS? may seem like a dumb question...

This does not unlock bootloaders for CID11 people. There will probably never be a bootloader unlock for those people unless the Verizon S5 gets one from Samsung as it grows old and irrelevant.
    its uploading sorry it failed at 99 percent