[GUIDE] ROOT for ASUS eee pad transformer (TF101)

Search This thread

gpearson1968

Apr 7, 2011
Greensboro, NC
OK, noobie here,

Please be gentle, I don't have a tablet although by everything I've seen, the transformer will be the one for me. I've read over and over again how rooting your tablet is the best thing to do since bread slicers were invented.

Simple question though. What do I gain by rooting my Transformer ( when they actually ship it in North America ) ?

That's it,
Cheers,
gpearson1968

djdevine2

Aug 7, 2010
Linlithgow (Edinburgh)
OK, noobie here,

Please be gentle, I don't have a tablet although by everything I've seen, the transformer will be the one for me. I've read over and over again how rooting your tablet is the best thing to do since bread slicers were invented.

Simple question though. What do I gain by rooting my Transformer ( when they actually ship it in North America ) ?

That's it,
Cheers,
gpearson1968

You will be able to configure parts of the computer such as the processor etc that normally is not available to the user. You will be able to install custom ROMs which are different versions of the software included but will often be better than the original. As I mentioned earlier it will also (at some stage) allow you to change CPU settings so save battery or to gain maximum performance!

Hope this answers your questions, if you've got any more then fire away, thats why we're all here! :)

Reactions: kmbd and Sam9938

gpearson1968

Apr 7, 2011
Greensboro, NC
OK, cool, thanks for the invite.

Next question. If I root my Transformer, and ASUS puts out another version of their "ROM", will I be able to use the ASUS "ROM" ? Or once I root, I cannot go back ?

I obviously don't have a preference since I don't have a tablet yet. I've read how everyone loves the ROMS that out there ( Cyanogen, Vegan, TNT..... ) especially for the G-tab. I love overclockin, especially if you can notice the difference in apps like video playback and such.

For me, modding my soon-to-hold transformer isn't a done deal unless I know that whatever mod I do will enhance what I have, rather than simply replacing what I have. Does that make sense ?

So rooting will allow me to install different mods, and to get access at a deeper level to some of the inner gizzards of the tablet. Very cool.

Anything else it gives me ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
Congratulations on making it and releasing to the community. :)

Don't know if this will affect your root method or not but there's supposedly a firmware update out from Asus tomorrow.

djdevine2

Aug 7, 2010
Linlithgow (Edinburgh)
OK, cool, thanks for the invite.

Next question. If I root my Transformer, and ASUS puts out another version of their "ROM", will I be able to use the ASUS "ROM" ? Or once I root, I cannot go back ?

I obviously don't have a preference since I don't have a tablet yet. I've read how everyone loves the ROMS that out there ( Cyanogen, Vegan, TNT..... ) especially for the G-tab. I love overclockin, especially if you can notice the difference in apps like video playback and such.

For me, modding my soon-to-hold transformer isn't a done deal unless I know that whatever mod I do will enhance what I have, rather than simply replacing what I have. Does that make sense ?

So rooting will allow me to install different mods, and to get access at a deeper level to some of the inner gizzards of the tablet. Very cool.

Anything else it gives me ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968

To answer your question about going back, as long as you do a backup in the recovery it installs you can always go back to stock. You can even unroot it if you want!

So far there are no replacement ROMs out there yet, but Paul from Modaco has released his add on pack which boosts performance and a couple of other bits and pieces and does not affect the user interface so its a good one to try if you just want performance.

Lots of other things and benefits will pop up as time goes on, only a few (very lucky!!!) people have the tablet so far!

Reactions: carlos.gijon

Roach2010

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
This didn't seem to work for me, I could boot into Recovery and perform nandroid backup etc but when I rebooted I ddn't appear to have root.

I have since flashed MCR Beta though so I am happy enough with that.

Cheers for giving us root.

RedMist

Jan 18, 2008
Swansea
Will this work after the official 15/04 update has been applied?

I keep getting the android with the triangle above his head.

dc13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
rumors are saying now to root after the 4/14/11 update is ran. so just root it before u connect it to the internet and u can flash my rom and ill make a odexed version tonight after running some opts and go from there.
this devise i will be keeping to stock but will update new apps as needed once i get a new tablet next week.

Bumble-Bee

Senior Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
New root method found :) will be out ~30th (to avoid the next OTA)

This allows custom recovery + boot image being flashed to the device :cool:

So all you US users can relax ;)

I still do not have a device tho

PS.
This method is a team effort so credit is split :)

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009

PS.

Now that's good news. Any advances on getting nvflash working?

Knight77

Dec 11, 2008
Turin

PS.

Italian Transformer here and now I discovered another update, the second form me since the day-one. Can I update or not?
Thanks

tjb433

Mar 16, 2011

PS.

good stuff!

I'm probably getting one of these in a month or so and was worried about this

shaneaus

Nov 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
Just got my TF and attempted to Root. I press volume up as soon as prompted...

But, then it freezes at "Booting recovery kernel image"

Running "WW_epad-8.2.3.6-20110414"

Guessing it updated somehow without my knowing as the first time it booted it was running a 03/11 build....

I saw a reference to a 04-15 build... Could that really have been the 04-14 build? Is that why it isn't booting the recovery on my sdcard?

===========================

Disregard: I read on the MoDaCo forum that it won't work with the 04/14 build. :-( DAMN!

Last edited:

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
now I'm familiar with ADB after messing around with my HTC hero in the past but what is an insecure boot image?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New root method is out for PRE and POST OTA, with insecure BOOT image and CWM recovery

Get It Here http://kan.gd/frm

PS.
    New Root Method In First Post ;)
    OK, noobie here,

That's it,
    Cheers,
    gpearson1968

You will be able to configure parts of the computer such as the processor etc that normally is not available to the user. You will be able to install custom ROMs which are different versions of the software included but will often be better than the original. As I mentioned earlier it will also (at some stage) allow you to change CPU settings so save battery or to gain maximum performance!

Hope this answers your questions, if you've got any more then fire away, thats why we're all here! :)
    Found the fix,
    need to do a adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/boomsh
    adb shell rm /data/local/tmp/sh

rerunning the adb shell ./data/local/gingerbreakBB started

exploit ran, but got to # and again the window seems to go non responsive, typing commands and nothing shows in the window