[GUIDE] Root for Galaxy S4 Active! (SGH-i537 ~ AT&T) [UPDATED 7/8/2013 @ 10PM MST]

Search This thread

TenEightyPee

Jun 14, 2011
Phoenix
[GUIDE] Root for Galaxy S4 Active! (SGH-i537 ~ AT&T) [UPDATED 7/8/2013 @ 10PM MST]

-------------------------

This guide is to help people root their Galaxy S4 Active devices. Model SGH-i537 on AT&T.

Credit goes to geohot for the release of activeroot apk!

1. First go to Settings and click the "More" tab. Then go into security and check "Unknown Sources."
if989u.jpg
2w6dv0l.jpg

2. Visit http://geohot.com/activeroot from your device and click the lampda picture to download the apk file.
2lue5p3.jpg

3. Run the apk. It should give you a message telling you that you have root. Worked almost instantly for me.

4. Visit the Play Store and download SuperSU. (NOTE: You MUST download and use SuperSU to manage superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent Samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.)

5. Open the Super SU app and update binaries.

6. Optional. Donate. I contributed $10 to the original bounty, but really... this is a quick and simple method. Toss him $5 bucks if this root helps you out!

Kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

Use a root enabled file explorer (Like Root Explorer) and navigate to: /system/app/

Rename or delete wssyncmldm.apk

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T Updater

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

UNROOT and RETURN TO STOCK:

File Name: Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z
MD5: 5860A429420FF9029C8CF687F43E3D83
Password: rootzwiki
DOWNLOAD: Here
Credit: RootzWiki

======================================
F.A.Q.

Q: What does activeroot do for my phone?
A: It gives you root access to the phone's file system. Even the Android system files.

Q: What can I do with root?
A: You can run applications that require root access to function. Apps like Titanium Backup, can back up all of your apps and settings and save it in your phone's storage/SD card. You can also freeze (disable) or delete pre-installed apps that came with the phone (AT&T/Samsung bloatware).

Q. Is root dangerous?
A. Well, it does give you access to files you were not supposed to be allowed to manipulate. If you accidentally delete files that are important, you could cause the phone to crash and prevent booting.

Q. Can I install a custom ROM?
A. As of 7/8/13, the answer is no. Not yet. To be able to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to install a custom recovery. As of now, the bootloader of the original Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4 Active are still locked. The original GS4 currently has an venerability in it's bootloader that allows for an exploit (called Loki exploit) to be used that enables installation of custom recoveries and ROMS. This vulnerability has been patched since the release of the GS4 Active, and our phones cannot take advantage of the Loki exploit.

Q. Will the GS4A's bootloader EVER be unlocked?
A. No one knows for sure. The Galaxy S4 Active is a niche product available exclusively on AT&T in the USA. It will never reach the sales numbers that the original Galaxy S4 will achieve because of this. Since the original GS4 will be the phone in more users' hands... the same can be said for the hands of developers. A developer who bought the original GS4, is not likely to also buy a GS4A. That being said, the original GS4 is a very popular device and people are working hard on it's bootloader. The GS4 and the GS4A are similar enough that if the GS4 gets unlocked, luck may shine on us and the method may unlock our phones as well. But, as the old saying goes, "I wouldn't hold your breath."

Last edited:

sleze

Nov 6, 2007
Update: It is working despite the error messages I got from the apps. Literally the easiest root ever.

---------------------
Not working for me. Neither Super User or Super SU will work. Says I am missing an SU binary.

Last edited:
Reactions: MITHU SHEIKH

afpilot

Apr 27, 2009
It works!

I was nervous because no one posted that they had used it yet. I just did it. Worked easily.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
Please update the OP with the following information:

kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

/system/app/

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install Superuser Su and update the Binaries

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T updater

thatbigmoose

Jan 11, 2012

/system/app/

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T updater

Please also try to split the OP up into sections with [ HIDE ] tags, and if you're feeling committed to this you can include in the title that this thread will be a general FAQ about all things root with this device.

Edit: Please include in the OP that users MUST download and use SuperSU to manage their superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.

Last edited:

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This guide is to help people root their Galaxy S4 Active devices. Model SGH-i537 on AT&T.

Credit goes to geohot for the release of activeroot apk!

1. First go to Settings and click the "More" tab. Then go into security and check "Unknown Sources."
    if989u.jpg
    2w6dv0l.jpg

2. Visit http://geohot.com/activeroot from your device and click the lampda picture to download the apk file.
    2lue5p3.jpg

3. Run the apk. It should give you a message telling you that you have root. Worked almost instantly for me.

4. Visit the Play Store and download SuperSU. (NOTE: You MUST download and use SuperSU to manage superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent Samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.)

5. Open the Super SU app and update binaries.

6. Optional. Donate. I contributed $10 to the original bounty, but really... this is a quick and simple method. Toss him $5 bucks if this root helps you out!

Kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

Use a root enabled file explorer (Like Root Explorer) and navigate to: /system/app/

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T Updater

UNROOT and RETURN TO STOCK:

File Name: Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z
    MD5: 5860A429420FF9029C8CF687F43E3D83
    Password: rootzwiki
    DOWNLOAD: Here
    Credit: RootzWiki

F.A.Q.

Q: What does activeroot do for my phone?
    A: It gives you root access to the phone's file system. Even the Android system files.

Q: What can I do with root?
    A: You can run applications that require root access to function. Apps like Titanium Backup, can back up all of your apps and settings and save it in your phone's storage/SD card. You can also freeze (disable) or delete pre-installed apps that came with the phone (AT&T/Samsung bloatware).

Q. Is root dangerous?
    A. Well, it does give you access to files you were not supposed to be allowed to manipulate. If you accidentally delete files that are important, you could cause the phone to crash and prevent booting.

Q. Can I install a custom ROM?
    A. As of 7/8/13, the answer is no. Not yet. To be able to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to install a custom recovery. As of now, the bootloader of the original Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4 Active are still locked. The original GS4 currently has an venerability in it's bootloader that allows for an exploit (called Loki exploit) to be used that enables installation of custom recoveries and ROMS. This vulnerability has been patched since the release of the GS4 Active, and our phones cannot take advantage of the Loki exploit.

Q. Will the GS4A's bootloader EVER be unlocked?
    A. No one knows for sure. The Galaxy S4 Active is a niche product available exclusively on AT&T in the USA. It will never reach the sales numbers that the original Galaxy S4 will achieve because of this. Since the original GS4 will be the phone in more users' hands... the same can be said for the hands of developers. A developer who bought the original GS4, is not likely to also buy a GS4A. That being said, the original GS4 is a very popular device and people are working hard on it's bootloader. The GS4 and the GS4A are similar enough that if the GS4 gets unlocked, luck may shine on us and the method may unlock our phones as well. But, as the old saying goes, "I wouldn't hold your breath."
    Will this method work on the international version od S4 Active (i9295) ?
    Does it make any permanent changes to the phon or is it a temporary root? I mean ther's no odin flashing involved....
    I'm asking because i would like to know if it will void the warranty (recently s3 had sudden death syndrome and wasnt covered under warranty ;/)

It does not work on the internation version :(

The only root available from the i9295 is the following method found on this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2343366:

"This a good note to anyone who is looking for a root method for the i9295 with an unlocked bootloader. To gain root do the following steps:
    So just flash http://download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-...xx-gti9505.zip with included Odin and thats it. Below is how to flash:

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

If you see this post a user confirmed this to gain root access"

/system/app/

So, what is the difference between active root and passive root?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are you serious? This is for the device Galaxy s4 active.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Here is the aboot.img from MF1

Thanks. I've now checked the MF1 aboot as well, and it is also patched against Loki.

So, my previous statement still stands: Loki will not support the Galaxy S4 Active, and there are no workarounds or alternatives at this time.