• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] Root for HTC One SV UPDATED 23/02/13

Search This thread

bkcokota

Sep 14, 2010
Wollongong
Now quicker and easier!

Please note, this CAN brick your phone. Do not proceed if you are not confident in your ability.
Any damages caused are your own problem and I withhold any liability for any future issues caused by this process

Just a small note, I am aware of the screen in recovery moving, this is because of HTC's framebuffer method, I haven't been able to fix it yet.
1: Unlock your phone at the htcdev site, follow the instructions on the site

2: Download the following two files. Download either ClockworkMod Recovery for ICS OR Clockworkmod Recovery for JB depending on which version you are on and Superuser.zip, Move the Superuser.zip to somewhere on your phone's SD card.

3: reboot your phone into hboot and then into fastboot if you are not already there

4:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
this is presuming the recovery.img is in the same directory as fastboot, you can either move it or point the code to it directly

5: open recovery.

6: Flash the superuser.zip through recovery

7: reboot

8: Congratulations, your phone should now be rooted, go have fun with the ability to access your phone fully!

Edit: Here is a copy of the stock recovery recovery_signed.img

For those who want to install busybox, check out this post.
Also, due to the current issues I still haven't had the time to fix I'd suggest using the TWRP recovery for the time being.

Last edited:

bkcokota

Sep 14, 2010
Wollongong
Define 'slightly'. :eek:

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 2
Slightly in that the Clockworkmod recovery isn't fully functional (power as select does not work) and as such is missing some features.

I did it thanks
but I want to do a backup for my rom and as you know cant do it through cwm is there any solution?

I'd suggest installing busybox and using something like this , it's how I'm backing mine up currently.

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
Hello. Thank you very much for your guide, my One SV is now rooted. But I can't install Busybox ("Installing Busybox failed")... Can you tell us how we can install it ?...

Last edited:

swes013

Mar 4, 2008
Additional info please.

Hello do we leave the phone in recovery while we finish the code for rooting or should we be in the bootloader, fastboot still, or should the rom be booted up. I just wanna make certain so I dont Brick this thing.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

I have got bootloader unlocked, recovery pushed and installed. Now I have unknown device in device manager named k2u that wont intall drivers. I cannot connect via adb shell because it cannot find device??? Any Ideas??

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
I had the same problem, and after multiple tries I finally find a solution : install HTC Sync, then edit the androidusb.inf file (in my case, the path is C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x86\androidusb.inf) and add in its "Device section" a line with the ID number of the One SV (you can find it in the Device Manager on your PC) :

%MyHTC%=HTCAND32.Dev, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0D0F&MI_00

Then, restart your PC, reboot your phone in recovery and connect it, Windows must install "new" driver and recognize it as "My HTC", and you can root your smartphone with the guide of bkcokota. It's the only way I've found, but perhaps there is an easiest solution ?

(Sorry for my bad english... I hope that you'll understand what I wrote !)

Last edited:

swes013

Mar 4, 2008
Crap....

I had the same problem, and after multiple tries I finally find a solution : install HTC Sync, then edit the androidusb.inf file (in my case, the path is C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Win7_x86\androidusb.inf) and add in its "Device section" a line with the ID number of the One SV (you can find it in the Device Manager on your PC) :

%MyHTC%=HTCAND32.Dev, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0D0F&MI_00

Then, restart your PC, reboot your phone in recovery and connect it, Windows must install "new" driver and recognize it as "My HTC", and you can root your smartphone with the guide of bkcokota. It's the only way I've found, but perhaps there is an easiest solution ?

(Sorry for my bad english... I hope that you'll understand what I wrote !)

Where can i find the id in device manager.. No HTO One sv listed... Only one listing is My HTC which appears to be fully loaded and functioning. I have htc sync loaded and running i cant adb anything.... Man I am no newbie at this at all but, this is really confusing me!! I hope xxdjvalexx the O.P. Dev pm's me back with some help... I will prevail though!!

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
The ID is in device manager when you connect your One SV to your PC in recovery ; it's the ID of the "unknown device" named "k2u"... It's normally USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0D0F&MI_00, as I said in my last post.

swes013

Mar 4, 2008
Open Sesame!!!

Fantastic, Awesome and overall a Great Experience! I have learned a lot over the years with XDA and friends. Patience, is the key oh and reading.. I cant wait until the rom development blows up on this thing. When do you suppose xda will put up a official device development thread??

Probably sometime after it drops on sprint which has anyone heard? Anyway as indicated by my elation above root achieved with this device. Now just wait out the clockwork mod scene. I am on Cricketusers.com on the One SV forum there if anyone needs a helping hand or maybe a beta tester. Just let me everyone. I would love to give something back to this very awesome community I call home on most late evenings and early mornings.
I will be a very active member for this device here as well so hit me up I am constantly on TapaTalk with my phones.

Hooray and Cheers to all the Devs out there!!:highfive:. swes013

bkcokota

Sep 14, 2010
Wollongong
Re: [GUIDE] Root for HTC One SV

I'm glad you got it working, I've heard it is coming to Sprint soon but I don't know much more than that, Australia is a bit far away to get the best gossip, I don't know when our if we are getting a forum but considering the fact it hasn't even been out for even a month yet I'd say be patient, just for reference I don't know if this matters to you but I have called up HTC and had a chart to them about getting the kernel source, apparently they don't have out ready yet but it should be up "soon". Hopefully it is soon, I'd love to get cyanogenmod on this. I might drop by the cricket forums and see what is there.

Sent from my HTC One SV using xda premium

swes013

Mar 4, 2008

Alright guys and gals.... Another small update. Still obviously more obstacles and development will continue as the actual root access is only gained while the rom is powered up. After a power off shutdown, and reboot root is lost. Alas you cannot delete bloat ware apps using root file explorer pro. Also tried doing a few tweaks with my rom toolbox pro like, LCD density, configuring A2SD etc.... Any thoughts chime on in guys lets get this thing hashed out before Sprint gets it. That way all our further development can continue without any hiccups... It seems that without a working recovery the root we push with web will be a useless exploit... Alas at least for now!:(

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
Alright guys and gals.... Another small update. Still obviously more obstacles and development will continue as the actual root access is only gained while the rom is powered up. After a power off shutdown, and reboot root is lost. Alas you cannot delete bloat ware apps using root file explorer pro. Also tried doing a few tweaks with my rom toolbox pro like, LCD density, configuring A2SD etc.... Any thoughts chime on in guys lets get this thing hashed out before Sprint gets it. That way all our further development can continue without any hiccups... It seems that without a working recovery the root we push with web will be a useless exploit... Alas at least for now!:(

In my case, the root isn't lost after a power off shutdown : I shutdown the phone every evening, and I've never lost root...

With SuperManager, I can modify system (the weather database for example), and Titanium Backup works perfectly. The only problem which I have is that I cannot install BusyBox.

swes013

Mar 4, 2008

wow I wonder what went wrong in my case?? Its like it only did a temp root kind of process. I may try to re root the thing again just to see but... I don't wanna fry this thing before I have had it for a little longer I think. You are on cricket
Wireless yes? I just don't know why mine wouldn't take a solid permanent root..?

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
wow I wonder what went wrong in my case?? Its like it only did a temp root kind of process. I may try to re root the thing again just to see but... I don't wanna fry this thing before I have had it for a little longer I think. You are on cricket
Wireless yes? I just don't know why mine wouldn't take a solid permanent root..?

No, I'm not on Cricket Wireless (I'm French), and my ROM is stock HTC. Have you a specific operator ROM? Maybe it is the cause of the problem?

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
Hi guys, I'm just going to try my luck on this one.. As I see that you guys have managed to successfully rooted your phones, could someone please do a ROM/system dump and share it..? I would like to port this ROM on our devices. Thanks in advance.

Fabriel

Oct 26, 2006
Paris
Hi guys, I'm just going to try my luck on this one.. As I see that you guys have managed to successfully rooted your phones, could someone please do a ROM/system dump and share it..? I would like to port this ROM on our devices. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but it's not possible : the recovery isn't fully functional (see the previous posts), and personally I can't install BusyBox, so I can't make any backup or dump...

Reactions: Skanob

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
Sorry, but it's not possible : the recovery isn't fully functional (see the previous posts), and personally I can't install BusyBox, so I can't make any backup or dump...

Sorry to hear that.. But there's another way AFAIK that works. Using a Root Granted File Explorer (I use X-Plore), you can try to copy the "system" folder to ur sd card.. It "may" copy all of the files of system.. Can you do that for me?

swes013

Mar 4, 2008
Still cant achieve a permenant root.

Hello everyone, I still cant achieve a permenant root on this one sv. Some more info is that it is Cricket wireless Carrier specific got at a authorized cricket dealer on Like Jan 20 I think. So it saysy its rooted and su asks permission on all root level; apps however when i use root explorer to delete like say cricket nav and crkit mobile browser it deletes them.. they are gone. Until power down or, reboot then they are right back poof. Any bright ideas??

Android 4.04
HTC Sense 4.1
Software number 1.03.1050.5 710RD

Specks in case they help spark any idead although I doubt it...

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I still dont have a working root for this phone!! Has I tried this mod here and it seemed to work good. At least the for a minute or two. I then tried to delete some system apps I wanted gone with root explorer. It let me delete them just fine.. Wow just when i thought I was a happy man....BAM rebbot, Powerdown, and reboot, then root changes wont commit. All apks I deleted are back even though my root explorer pro said I was mouted to system as root..?? Funny hugh any help from mmaybe someone on cricket with this phone who achieved a permenant root can help me. Or maybe everyone here is waiting patiently for a working CWM recovery before they try and acieve root. Maybe I should have waited too. Alrhough I dont think I boirked my phone because it still works graet except my root level acess that i want so badly...

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I saw this same problem with the HTC Droid DNA. I don't have the One SV, but I suspect that the stock kernel will not let you manipulate the /system folder.

With the DNA there was at least one dev that made a kernel which would allow you to change stuff. Also custom ROMs can have everything modified already. That would work as well.

Oh and which recovery are you using? Does it belong to another phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now quicker and easier!

Please note, this CAN brick your phone. Do not proceed if you are not confident in your ability.
    Any damages caused are your own problem and I withhold any liability for any future issues caused by this process

Just a small note, I am aware of the screen in recovery moving, this is because of HTC's framebuffer method, I haven't been able to fix it yet.
    1: Unlock your phone at the htcdev site, follow the instructions on the site

2: Download the following two files. Download either ClockworkMod Recovery for ICS OR Clockworkmod Recovery for JB depending on which version you are on and Superuser.zip, Move the Superuser.zip to somewhere on your phone's SD card.

3: reboot your phone into hboot and then into fastboot if you are not already there

4:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    this is presuming the recovery.img is in the same directory as fastboot, you can either move it or point the code to it directly

5: open recovery.

6: Flash the superuser.zip through recovery

7: reboot

8: Congratulations, your phone should now be rooted, go have fun with the ability to access your phone fully!

Edit: Here is a copy of the stock recovery recovery_signed.img

For those who want to install busybox, check out this post.
    Also, due to the current issues I still haven't had the time to fix I'd suggest using the TWRP recovery for the time being.
    For those who have problems installing busybox:

1. As I have learned, that installing busybox while the phone is booted up will not be persistant, we first have to boot into recovery:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

2. Grab a shell and mount /system
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /system

3. Exit shell
    Code:
    exit

4. Get busybox binaries from here - I have chosen busybox-armv4tl as it is recommended on the project website of busybox for most phones.

5. Push the binaries to the phone (I renamed the file to just "busybox" before I've pushed it to the phone)
    Code:
    adb push busybox /system/xbin/

6. Grab a shell again
    Code:
    adb shell

7. Install busybox to /system/xbin/ by executing the following command:
    Code:
    /system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin/

8. Reboot the phone
    Code:
    reboot

That's it.
    IF YOU ARE ON BOOST MOBILE DO NOT INSTALL THIS RECOVERY OR TRY TO FLASH SUPERUSER ZIP.

They have different partition layouts. You are taking the risk of messing stuff up
    Right guys, been working on my rom a little, so far ive achieved this, I would like some feedback on it before I incorporate it into the actual ROM itself, at the moment im just pushing the apk's, is semi transparent ok or would you prefer full transparent, cant seem to change the clock weather info to a darker colour though so with this being full transparent you wouldn't see it on light backgrounds etc, let me know anyway, more to come.........

Transparent app drawer and notification menu is on its way......................
    Hi everyone, thought I'd supply everyone with a Saturday afternoon update. I have not got a new recovery built yet, but I have fixed the keypress errors, the only thing I need to fix at this point is the mounting from recovery (it should be a fairly easy fix) I'm hoping to have a new version out this evening or maybe tomorrow. I'll post up when I have it ready, thanks for your patience everyone.

EDIT: Ok, that took a bit less time than I expected, I have a new build ready which should fix a lot of the recovery problems, the only one I haven't cleared up at this point is the display moving left and right as that's due to HTC's framebuffering method. I'm going to update the first post and I'm also posting a new version below. Please note for this version at least you will still need to flash it through fastboot. recovery.img