• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][ROOT]Galaxy M30S Bootloader Unlocking and Rooting Guide

Search This thread

santhoosh

Apr 29, 2014
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy M30s
Disclaimer
I'm not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong). You are doing this on your own responsibility. Rooting your phone may void warranty so don't root your device unless you know what you are doing.

Before Installing Magisk

• Your device is non-A/B and uses system-as-root, so Magisk will be installed to the recovery partition of your device.
  • Installing Magisk for the first time REQUIRES a full data wipe, backup before continue( I would recommend to use SmartSwitch app for backup )
  • You have to have your bootloader unlocked before following the instructions.

Unlocking Bootloader
  • Allow bootloader unlocking in Developer options → OEM unlocking
  • Reboot your device to download mode. Turn off your device and hold volume up + volume down button, connect usb cable to PC
  • Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot.
  • Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again later when we are installing Magisk.
  • Enable developer options, and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
  • Your bootloader now accepts unofficial images in download mode.

Instructions

Method 1

1. Download the latest firmware for your device.
2. Unzip the firmware and copy the AP tar file to your device. It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5
3. Install the latest Magisk Manager
4. In Magisk Manager: Install → Install → Select and Patch a File and select the AP tar file.
5. Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar, Copy the patched file to your PC.
6. Download and extract odin(link given below).
7. Install Samsung USB drivers if not installed automatically.
8. Reboot into download mode, odin will indicate blue in id:com if the device is connected.
9. Flash magisk_patched.tar as AP in Odin, together with the BL, CP and CSC files. Never flash only an AP file, as Odin can shrink your /data file-system if you do.
Important: Uncheck “Auto Reboot” in Options!
10. Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device! But there are still several steps
before you can properly use the device.
11. We now want to boot into the stock recovery to factory reset our device.
Full data wipe is mandatory! Do not skip this step.
Press and hold Power + Volume Down to exit download mode. As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press and hold the Volume up + Power button to enter stock recovery.
12. Use volume buttons to navigate through the stock recovery menu, and the power button to select an option. Choose Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
13. This time, we can finally boot to the system with Magisk.
Important: Select Reboot system now, and immediately press the Volume up + power button after seeing the bootloader warning screen, release all buttons so it can boot to the magisk system.
14. The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.
15. After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. The following steps will need an internet connection.
16. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK and continue to the next step. The app will automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.
17. Enjoy Magisk :)

Method 2
INS Only
*To Make Things Easier*
1. Download the firmware(already patched) from the link given below
2. Unzip the firmware to any folder on your PC.
3. Download and extract odin(link given below).
4. Install Samsung USB drivers if not installed automatically.
5. Reboot into download mode, odin will indicate blue in id:com if the device is connected.
6. Flash AP, BL, CP and CSC files from extracted firmware. Do not load HOME_CSC and also leave USERDATA empty in odin.
7. Continue steps from 10 to 17 from method 1

Method 3: Rooting with TWRP[Thread]
1. Download Twrp based on ASL2 firmware only which already have magisk patched.
2. Go to download mode
3. Using odin flash TWRP in AP slot.
4. Reboot to twrp and format data.
4. Now you have Magisk + Twrp :)

Note: Magisk will be disabled when you reboot the device normally. To get into Magisk enabled system, Turn off your phone and use Volume up + power buttons to turn on and release it as soon as you see Samsung Galaxy M30S logo. This will boot into magisk system, I would recommend Smalipatcher module to reboot directly into magisk system.

Updates: For each and every updates, either magisk or system update always patch the firmware with magisk and flash using odin(data will not be wiped if HOME_CSC used instead of CSC)

Downloads
Patched Firmware INS only
Odin
Samsung USB Drivers

NOTICE: Flash TWRP To Fix Reboot Issues After Patching ROM

Last edited:

Gurjotjatt

Jan 1, 2018
Yes Verified root, will try to post video soon
Ok thanks I will be waiting for your video:good:

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Yes Verified root, will try to post video soon
And if I root will I receive updates? Like nextyear m30s will get andriod 10..will I be able to update ..Cruz I think magisk offers OTA updates to!?..am I right?

redymedan

Disclaimer
I'm not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong). You are doing this on your own responsibility. Rooting your phone may void warranty so don't root your device unless you know what you are doing.

Before Installing Magisk

• Your device is non-A/B and uses system-as-root, so Magisk will be installed to the recovery partition of your device.
  • Installing Magisk for the first time REQUIRES a full data wipe, backup before continue( I would recommend to use SmartSwitch app for backup )

Unlocking Bootloader
  • Reboot your device to download mode. Either use adb reboot download, or Turn off your device and hold volume up + volume down button, connect usb cable to PC
  • Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot.
  • Go through the initial setup. Skip through all the steps since data will be wiped again later when we are installing Magisk.
  • Enable developer options, and confirm that the OEM unlocking option exists and grayed out!
Instructions

1. Download the firmware from the link given below.
5. Reboot into download mode, odin will indicate blue in id:com if the device is connected.
6. Load AP, BL, CP and CSC files from extracted firmware. Do not load HOME_CSC and also leave USERDATA empty in odin.
7. Now Start Flashing!
8. Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device! But there are still several steps
9. We now want to boot into the stock recovery to factory reset our device.
Press and hold Power + Volume Down to exit download mode. As soon as the screen turns off, immediately press and hold the Volume up + Power button to enter stock recovery.
10. Use volume buttons to navigate through the stock recovery menu, and the power button to select an option. Choose Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
11. This time, we can finally boot to the system with Magisk.
Important: Select Reboot system now, and immediately press the Volume up + power button after seeing the bootloader warning screen, release all buttons so it can boot to the magisk system.
12. The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.
13. After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. The following steps will need an internet connection.
14. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK and continue to the next step. The app will automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.
15. Enjoy Magisk :)

Where is the step for patching magisk, if you flash it on AP slot you must insert the Magisk_patched.tar file, it look like you did not do it by your self. The latest Magisk v20.1 may be does not work. the problem is random boot loop.
You can watch this video below it will show you clearly steps by steps, you just need to change the firmware that match your M30s model number.

Reactions: mchauhan and vjays

santhoosh

Apr 29, 2014
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy M30s
Where is the step for patching magisk, if you flash it on AP slot you must insert the Magisk_patched.tar file, it look like you did not do it by your self. The latest Magisk v20.1 may be does not work. the problem is random boot loop.
You can watch this video below it will show you clearly steps by steps, you just need to change the firmware that match your M30s model number.
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILvgki0pFHE

To make things easier I have already patched the firmware that I have attached, And it is patched with magisk latest v20.1 which is working fine.

santhoosh

Apr 29, 2014
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy M30s
Ok thanks I will be waiting for your video:good:

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

And if I root will I receive updates? Like nextyear m30s will get andriod 10..will I be able to update ..Cruz I think magisk offers OTA updates to!?..am I right?

For every update either it may be magisk or firmware update, you need to patch firmware and flash it manually

_hunter

Nov 9, 2013
Please help: no "OEM unlocking" in Developer options of my M30s -- i.e. there is literally nothing between ""Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log" and ""Running services" lines.
Thus after "adb reboot download" pressing Volume Up -- does nothing as well...

Reactions: Gurjotjatt

_hunter

Nov 9, 2013
Another issue: Odin flashing failed "in the middle" with small red text like "User firmware disabled".
Now phone is not bootable -- text appears:
And error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC software.
But the Smart Switch says "unsupported device"...
And "adb devices" can't see the phone now...

santhoosh

Apr 29, 2014
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy M30s
Another issue: Odin flashing failed "in the middle" with small red text like "User firmware disabled".
Now phone is not bootable -- text appears:

But the Smart Switch says "unsupported device"...
And "adb devices" can't see the phone now...

Ok, can I know which firmware you used and odin version, also did you unlocked your bootloader properly?

_hunter

Nov 9, 2013
Ok, can I know which firmware you used and odin version, also did you unlocked your bootloader properly?
Resolved that issue flashing original (without Magisk patching) firmware.
Confirmed afterwards that you only can see "OEM unlocking" when your Google account attached.
But yes: it's appears that bootloader still was locked -- that "OEM unlocking" -- it's not grayed-out.

So, the question is: how you're supposed to unlock it?
-- "reboot download" and long pressing Volume Up there -- from the first post -- does nothing
-- "reboot recovery" + wipe data + reboot to bootloader -- from the "movie" -- does nothing

mchauhan

Nov 17, 2012
Finally Rooted

After couple of tries and disappearing OEM Unlocking button, finally I was successful in rooting using the method from this post. It took me some time to master booting directly into recovery after flashing patched images using Odin!:eek:

Also, did not realized that you need to connect USB cable to PC and press volume up and down at same time to get the bootloader unlock option.

Thank You OP.

Reactions: Gurjotjatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer

Before Installing Magisk

Unlocking Bootloader
    • Reboot your device to download mode. Turn off your device and hold volume up + volume down button, connect usb cable to PC

Instructions

Method 1

1. Download the latest firmware for your device.
    2. Unzip the firmware and copy the AP tar file to your device. It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5
    3. Install the latest Magisk Manager
    4. In Magisk Manager: Install → Install → Select and Patch a File and select the AP tar file.
    5. Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar, Copy the patched file to your PC.
    6. Download and extract odin(link given below).
    7. Install Samsung USB drivers if not installed automatically.
    8. Reboot into download mode, odin will indicate blue in id:com if the device is connected.
    9. Flash magisk_patched.tar as AP in Odin, together with the BL, CP and CSC files. Never flash only an AP file, as Odin can shrink your /data file-system if you do.
    10. Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device! But there are still several steps
    11. We now want to boot into the stock recovery to factory reset our device.
    12. Use volume buttons to navigate through the stock recovery menu, and the power button to select an option. Choose Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
    13. This time, we can finally boot to the system with Magisk.
    14. The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.
    15. After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. The following steps will need an internet connection.
    16. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK and continue to the next step. The app will automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.
    17. Enjoy Magisk :)

Method 2
    INS Only
    *To Make Things Easier*
    1. Download the firmware(already patched) from the link given below
    6. Flash AP, BL, CP and CSC files from extracted firmware. Do not load HOME_CSC and also leave USERDATA empty in odin.
    7. Continue steps from 10 to 17 from method 1

Method 3: Rooting with TWRP[Thread]
    1. Download Twrp based on ASL2 firmware only which already have magisk patched.
    2. Go to download mode
    3. Using odin flash TWRP in AP slot.
    4. Reboot to twrp and format data.
    4. Now you have Magisk + Twrp :)

Note: Magisk will be disabled when you reboot the device normally. To get into Magisk enabled system, Turn off your phone and use Volume up + power buttons to turn on and release it as soon as you see Samsung Galaxy M30S logo. This will boot into magisk system, I would recommend Smalipatcher module to reboot directly into magisk system.

Updates: For each and every updates, either magisk or system update always patch the firmware with magisk and flash using odin(data will not be wiped if HOME_CSC used instead of CSC)

Downloads
    Patched Firmware INS only
    Odin
    Samsung USB Drivers

NOTICE: Flash TWRP To Fix Reboot Issues After Patching ROM
    ????
    Thankyou bro
    But I think u should also post the process to patch the firmware.
    Twrp 3.3.1-0

Move here for twrp
    Disclaimer

Before Installing Magisk

Unlocking Bootloader
    • Reboot your device to download mode. Either use adb reboot download, or Turn off your device and hold volume up + volume down button, connect usb cable to PC
    Instructions

1. Download the firmware from the link given below.
    6. Load AP, BL, CP and CSC files from extracted firmware. Do not load HOME_CSC and also leave USERDATA empty in odin.
    7. Now Start Flashing!
    8. Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device! But there are still several steps
    9. We now want to boot into the stock recovery to factory reset our device.
    10. Use volume buttons to navigate through the stock recovery menu, and the power button to select an option. Choose Wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data of the device.
    11. This time, we can finally boot to the system with Magisk.
    12. The device will automatically reboot for the first time it boots. This is completely normal and done by design.
    13. After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. The following steps will need an internet connection.
    14. You shall see Magisk Manager in your app drawer; if not, manually install the APK and continue to the next step. The app will automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.
    15. Enjoy Magisk :)

It WORKS !!! ( Thousand thanks ! )

I believe main cause is I need to rename Magisk to other names ( AS YOU Pointed out ) and (((NOT))) any name spelling close to MANAGER .... or such. ( I renamed it to MGM )

Thanks !
    edmond.
    P.S. How to insert picture in forum when I post ?

Welcome...Really glad that it worked
    But i also dont know how to attach photos...lol