[Guide] [Root] Get rid of navbar without any drawbacks (no xposed / substratum)

Search This thread

--anx--

Apr 22, 2008
Cosenza
My fault. I'm using Swipe Navigation, too (with the "pink" hand icon).
Under "gesture actions" in the menu you can choose a short gesture and a hold long gesture.
Yes but with this app gestures just don't work like every other app I've tried... I mean with all in one gestures after setting up gestures they immediately work... Like t swipe navigation...

Don't know why, but this is the only app that vibrate when I do gestures but don't perform them...

Vietoonet

Sep 15, 2013
I'm using this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tdev.tswipe

You using another one? "Swipe Gestures" (the one with the pink hand as icon) don't work on me, gestures won't perform...

Swipe Navigation does the job very well; you have to configure to your behaviour at first then it works flawlessly. It's a paid app but it really worth it at the end ! I highly recommend it.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Hey. What exactly did you write? I get the error when trying to write it in the ADB.
and non what version are you? 7.1.1 or 8.0?

Thanks!

@--anx--
@Vietoonet

You have to type
adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

Do you try like this ? It works for me.

Reactions: Bucika

aaronlosk

Jul 25, 2016

this works perfectly, and I have been looking for a non-rooted solution for more than 3 weeks!

Greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Bucika

FilippoGalanti

Dec 17, 2017
Hi, a much better approach is to use the command below. It will disable the navbar without restarting. No need to install xposed or gravitybox.

0 for off
Code:
settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
Code:
settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1

This works flawlessly for non-rooted users!

Thanks
F

--anx--

Apr 22, 2008
Cosenza
Swipe Navigation does the job very well; you have to configure to your behaviour at first then it works flawlessly. It's a paid app but it really worth it at the end ! I highly recommend it.
Yes but home gesture don't work in any way...don't know why...other gestures seems to work, but no home...

janres155

Feb 14, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180104-032333.jpg
    Screenshot_20180104-032333.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Screenshot_20180104-032338.jpg
    Screenshot_20180104-032338.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Screenshot_20180104-032350.jpg
    Screenshot_20180104-032350.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Screenshot_20180104-032447.jpg
    Screenshot_20180104-032447.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Screenshot_20180104-032622.jpg
    Screenshot_20180104-032622.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1,072

--anx--

Apr 22, 2008
Cosenza
Hi, a much better approach is to use the command below. It will disable the navbar without restarting. No need to install xposed or gravitybox.

ROOT Method - enter in a terminal app (i.e. Termux)

0 for off

1 for on

NON ROOT Method - enter using adb command

0 for off

1 for on
This will work on OREO too? Anyone tested? I'm still on Nougat and it's ok!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we all know, it's not possible to remove the 5t navbar by doing a build.prop edit.
    This is necessary when switching to gesture based navigation (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation)

Pros of gesture navigation: It gives back precious screen estate, prevents burn in and keeps me from tapping the home key instead of 'space' when typing

For more information: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/themes/setup-navbar-clean-t3708211

The substratum theme disabling the navbar is not an option for me (it breaks the restart menu) and neither is xposed (tripping safety net).

Listen me out: xposed is temporary, it will be removed later on!

So here it goes:

Additional step: idk if this is necessary, I did it and it worked:
    Download a build.prop editor and modify this line "#qemu.hw.mainkeys=0"
    Don't forget to remove the hashtag, and change 0 into 1

1) Install magisk and download systemless xposed throught magisk. (sdk 25, of course)
    2) Don't forget to install xposed installer.apk
    3) Reboot
    4) Download gravity box nougat through the xposed installer app, enable it.
    5) Open gravity box, In 'navigation bar tweaks' turn on the master switch and then turn 'enable navigation bar' off.
    Optional: go to media settings and force media volume, this always pisses me off...
    6) Reboot
    7) Go to settings, buttons, and now a setting to disable the navigation bar magically appeared! Turn it off. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE SCREENSHOT ATTACHED
    8) Have some fun playing with the "capacitive keys backlight" option even though your 5t doesn't have any.
    9) Disable xposed framework in magisk
    10) Reboot, the navbar should be gone (if not, tell me, there is an additional step that might be necessary, but i prefer to don't have people messing with their build.prop) then check safety net, and install swipe navigation (can be tricky without navbar :p). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation

Let me know if it works!

Edit: image is broken. https://imgur.com/a/xmA1K
    attachment.php
    Root / non root method

ROOT Method - enter in a terminal app (i.e. Termux)

0 for off
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1

NON ROOT Method - enter using adb command

0 for off
    Code:

1 for on
    Code:
    adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1
    Anyone knows how to get the gap under the dock closed?
    If you enabled the default "Hide the navigation bar" in Android, disable it again. :)
    Hi guys, I just updated my post to avoid confusion on which code to be used for root / non-root method.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75023979&postcount=64

For rooted users, you can create a quick setting task in Tasker to make it easier to switch the navbar on or off. See screenshots attached.

I hope this helps.
    @nxss4 I think using joneplus tools to add a quick settings toggle to turn off navigation bar as mentioned by @prile97 is a way easier method.

Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jroot3d.joneplustools

A quick settings tile will now be available to toggle the navigation bar on or off. (open the app in case the tile is not available.

Could you also add this method to the OP. Seems a lot easier than xposed.
    Thank you.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone