[Guide] [Root] Get rid of navbar without any drawbacks (no xposed / substratum)

Search This thread

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna
Gboard....no navbar

Attachments

• Screenshot_XDA_Labs_20180111-184606.png
    Screenshot_XDA_Labs_20180111-184606.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 671

ArdeX

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere
Just download OnePlus Tool and put No Navigation bar button in the quick setting and done. No need to do that much stuff to get rid of a nav bar.

I guess you're referring to jOnePlus Tools in Play Store? It worked fine for me on OOS Nougat, but when I switched to Oreo/OmniROM 8.1, it stopped working - "incompatible with my device".

The Magisk module is still working great, and doesn't mess up anything.

guachine

Mar 2, 2011
Alcalá de Henares
hi,
I've just installed all in one gestures, but I'm not able to get Screen off gesture working. not swiping in the edges,nor double tapping on status bar....
any ideas why?

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

snehasish1994

Oct 8, 2015
I have the same problem as well. I tried installing the older version of the jOne Plus as suggested in Open beta discussion thread but still it didn't work.

I can confirm that after uninstalling jOnePlus latest version which was installed from playstore and rebooting the system and then installing the 2.3.2 version from apkMirror it works fine on OB2.

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
If you are on Oreo Beta 2, it has a Hide the navigation option in the Buttons section.

Once enabled, it then gives you a message to swipe up from the bottom to get it to appear. Works like a charm. I'm using Apex, but it appears on the Home page always.

As soon as you open an app, it vanishes, swipe up to get it back. Gesture nav would be good as well if it is true they are working on it.

bi7ybs.jpg

o553qc.jpg

Last edited:

OldMidnight

Nov 14, 2017
If you are on Oreo Beta 2, it has a Hide the navigation option in the Buttons section.

Once enabled, it then gives you a message to swipe up from the bottom to get it to appear. Works like a charm. I'm using Apex, but it appears on the Home page always.

As soon as you open an app, it vanishes, swipe up to get it back. Gesture nav would be good as well if it is true they are working on it.
This is on stock OOS 4.7.6, functional but not as good as a completely gone navbar, it doesn't disappear on the homescreen which is a problem

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
This is on stock OOS 4.7.6, functional but not as good as a completely gone navbar, it doesn't disappear on the homescreen which is a problem

Just saying and mentioning it since people are all over the map on this thread with versions they are using, to include 8.1.

That being said, no big deal some things to me, like it being on the home screen. Just wish there was a few more tweaks, like how long before it disappears.

ArdeX

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere
Well, like I've said, if you're rooted with Magisk, the Hide Navbar module works well.

Yesterday I switched to the Codename: Phoenix ROM, and I really really like it. It has the Fling smartbar feature, which hides the navbar and replaces it with cool gestures that are quite customisable and work well. The only issue is that it leaves quite a noticeable gap at the bottom, i.e. unusable screen estate, which is a bummer because it makes utilising the lovely big screen of the 5T to the fullest. This was not present when I used the Magisk module together with Swipe Navigation. I couldn't get the latter to work with CNP (the ROM), although it might be because I restored the app via TiBu...re-installing it might help, but haven't gotten round to trying. All in all, I'm happy with Fling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we all know, it's not possible to remove the 5t navbar by doing a build.prop edit.
    This is necessary when switching to gesture based navigation (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation)

Pros of gesture navigation: It gives back precious screen estate, prevents burn in and keeps me from tapping the home key instead of 'space' when typing

For more information: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/themes/setup-navbar-clean-t3708211

The substratum theme disabling the navbar is not an option for me (it breaks the restart menu) and neither is xposed (tripping safety net).

Listen me out: xposed is temporary, it will be removed later on!

So here it goes:

Additional step: idk if this is necessary, I did it and it worked:
    Download a build.prop editor and modify this line "#qemu.hw.mainkeys=0"
    Don't forget to remove the hashtag, and change 0 into 1

1) Install magisk and download systemless xposed throught magisk. (sdk 25, of course)
    2) Don't forget to install xposed installer.apk
    3) Reboot
    4) Download gravity box nougat through the xposed installer app, enable it.
    5) Open gravity box, In 'navigation bar tweaks' turn on the master switch and then turn 'enable navigation bar' off.
    Optional: go to media settings and force media volume, this always pisses me off...
    6) Reboot
    7) Go to settings, buttons, and now a setting to disable the navigation bar magically appeared! Turn it off. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE SCREENSHOT ATTACHED
    8) Have some fun playing with the "capacitive keys backlight" option even though your 5t doesn't have any.
    9) Disable xposed framework in magisk
    10) Reboot, the navbar should be gone (if not, tell me, there is an additional step that might be necessary, but i prefer to don't have people messing with their build.prop) then check safety net, and install swipe navigation (can be tricky without navbar :p). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation

Let me know if it works!

Edit: image is broken. https://imgur.com/a/xmA1K
    attachment.php
    Root / non root method

Hi, a much better approach is to use the command below. It will disable the navbar without restarting. No need to install xposed or gravitybox.

ROOT Method - enter in a terminal app (i.e. Termux)

0 for off
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1

NON ROOT Method - enter using adb command

0 for off
    Code:
    adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
    Code:
    adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1
    Anyone knows how to get the gap under the dock closed?
    If you enabled the default "Hide the navigation bar" in Android, disable it again. :)
    Hi guys, I just updated my post to avoid confusion on which code to be used for root / non-root method.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75023979&postcount=64

For rooted users, you can create a quick setting task in Tasker to make it easier to switch the navbar on or off. See screenshots attached.

I hope this helps.
    @nxss4 I think using joneplus tools to add a quick settings toggle to turn off navigation bar as mentioned by @prile97 is a way easier method.

Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jroot3d.joneplustools

A quick settings tile will now be available to toggle the navigation bar on or off. (open the app in case the tile is not available.

Could you also add this method to the OP. Seems a lot easier than xposed.
    Thank you.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone