[Guide] [Root] Get rid of navbar without any drawbacks (no xposed / substratum)

Search This thread

satishenl

Jan 10, 2011
Hyderabad
The app jOnePlus Tools allows hiding completely the navbar, even with keyboard showing. Works flawlessly on Oreo beta 2.

There's a Quick settings toggle for it. Couldn't be easier.
Which version of the jOnePlus Tools are you using. I have 2.3.2 installed, but I dont see the option. Please guide how to disable the Nav Bar.. Please...

Edit: I updated to the latest version and I see the toggle, but when I swipe up the Nav bar still appears. I want to permanently remove it, I have all in one gestures installed.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

@nxss4, Thanks for the great tutorial. I used this and it worked perfectly on Nougat. Can you please update this for Oreo. the gravitybox is updated for oreo. Here is the link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-gravitybox-v8-0-0-beta-1-tweak-box-t3739929 Also xposed is working on Oreo. thanks

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

@nxss4, Thanks for the great tutorial. I used this and it worked perfectly on Nougat. Can you please update this for Oreo. the gravitybox is updated for oreo. Here is the link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-gravitybox-v8-0-0-beta-1-tweak-box-t3739929 Also xposed is working on Oreo. thanks

Last edited:

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
The problem with Oreo/Beta is that no matter what app you try and use, when you swip up from the bottom, the Navbar will appear. So doing normal tasks it keeps popping up, no way to make it go away for good. I've tried everything. Other Oreo builds, like Lineage and AOSP base this might work, but clearly an OOS implementation of this feature that will require some other dev work and modding.

OldMidnight

Nov 14, 2017
The problem with Oreo/Beta is that no matter what app you try and use, when you swip up from the bottom, the Navbar will appear. So doing normal tasks it keeps popping up, no way to make it go away for good. I've tried everything. Other Oreo builds, like Lineage and AOSP base this might work, but clearly an OOS implementation of this feature that will require some other dev work and modding.
Running codename phoenix 8.1 Oreo custom ROM, has a custom feature that toggles the navbar, makes it disappear permanently, currently using all in one gestures as default navigation method

Sent from my OnePlus5T using XDA Labs

BigBrosMo

Jul 10, 2012
And what happens when you run the commands mentioned 2 pages back?

techlogik

Aug 23, 2006
And what happens when you run the commands mentioned 2 pages back?

The adb command are useless, swore up shows the navbar, the root terminal command completely removed it though, no swore up return out anything

Just like he says above. Commands don't work, joneplus doesn't work. The Beta 2 has this feature from OnePlus. So there will need to be more intensive research and development work to truly disable it on official Beta.

BigBrosMo

Jul 10, 2012
Just like he says above. Commands don't work, joneplus doesn't work. The Beta 2 has this feature from OnePlus. So there will need to be more intensive research and development work to truly disable it on official Beta.
He said that the root terminal commands DO work. I don't have the Oreo beta so can't test myself. I use the root terminal commands with Tasker on Nougat and its flawless. Joneplustools tools gave me headaches - like it would stop working intermittently or very slow etc. So for you the root terminal commands don't work?

OldMidnight

Nov 14, 2017
He said that the root terminal commands DO work. I don't have the Oreo beta so can't test myself. I use the root terminal commands with Tasker on Nougat and its flawless. Joneplustools tools gave me headaches - like it would stop working intermittently or very slow etc. So for you the root terminal commands don't work?
no hes right, the commands don't work on Oreo, only nougat

Reactions: BigBrosMo

dafunky

Jan 7, 2009
I've been using fooview from xda labs and love it.

Thank you for this feedback. In the fooview video tutorial I didn't see how to go home, how to show the other active apps. Is there a fast gesture for that, as well as for the back gesture? For now the pie concept is the fastest I know.

I have another question : how do you reduce the navbar in oreo?

Last edited:

babyg209

Jul 5, 2017
Thank you for this feedback. In the fooview video tutorial I didn't see how to go home, how to show the other active apps. Is there a fast gesture for that, as well as for the back gesture? For now the pie concept is the fastest I know.

I have another question : how do you reduce the navbar in oreo?
In the settings I set fooview so that a short swore down works as my back button, two the icon to return home and long swore left for recently used apps, but the settings menu under gestures will provide lots of options to get it set as you want. As far as navbar setting I'm using Iwo on my Oneplus 5 and I have navbar turned off.

Reactions: dafunky

Alonzzo2

Nov 6, 2009
So!

I found an even better solution (for me as well) but it requires Xposed. As I don't care about safetynet, it is a great alternative : xposed edge. It's imho far better than swipe navigation cause it's free and it starts straight away after boot (swipe takes some time each reboot...) and swipes with xposed edge doesn't make the screen scroll. The best of both worlds ?
Amazing!
So convenient and LOTS of options!
Only one question though, how do you navigate (home, back, recently) when the keyboard is on?

morback

Mar 9, 2011
Amazing!
So convenient and LOTS of options!
Only one question though, how do you navigate (home, back, recently) when the keyboard is on?
It works the same way, it just automatically closes the keyboard.

But if you have any problem with xposed and you need to disable it temporarily, you could potentially not be able to control your phone at all (no navbar, no gestures). That's why I just installed fingerprint swipes :D

Not convenient to use, but helps in this case.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we all know, it's not possible to remove the 5t navbar by doing a build.prop edit.
    This is necessary when switching to gesture based navigation (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation)

Pros of gesture navigation: It gives back precious screen estate, prevents burn in and keeps me from tapping the home key instead of 'space' when typing

For more information: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t/themes/setup-navbar-clean-t3708211

The substratum theme disabling the navbar is not an option for me (it breaks the restart menu) and neither is xposed (tripping safety net).

Listen me out: xposed is temporary, it will be removed later on!

So here it goes:

Additional step: idk if this is necessary, I did it and it worked:
    Download a build.prop editor and modify this line "#qemu.hw.mainkeys=0"
    Don't forget to remove the hashtag, and change 0 into 1

1) Install magisk and download systemless xposed throught magisk. (sdk 25, of course)
    2) Don't forget to install xposed installer.apk
    3) Reboot
    4) Download gravity box nougat through the xposed installer app, enable it.
    5) Open gravity box, In 'navigation bar tweaks' turn on the master switch and then turn 'enable navigation bar' off.
    Optional: go to media settings and force media volume, this always pisses me off...
    6) Reboot
    7) Go to settings, buttons, and now a setting to disable the navigation bar magically appeared! Turn it off. IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE SCREENSHOT ATTACHED
    8) Have some fun playing with the "capacitive keys backlight" option even though your 5t doesn't have any.
    9) Disable xposed framework in magisk
    10) Reboot, the navbar should be gone (if not, tell me, there is an additional step that might be necessary, but i prefer to don't have people messing with their build.prop) then check safety net, and install swipe navigation (can be tricky without navbar :p). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suphi.swipenavigation

Let me know if it works!

Edit: image is broken. https://imgur.com/a/xmA1K
    attachment.php
    Root / non root method

Hi, a much better approach is to use the command below. It will disable the navbar without restarting. No need to install xposed or gravitybox.

ROOT Method - enter in a terminal app (i.e. Termux)

0 for off
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
    Code:
    su -c settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1

NON ROOT Method - enter using adb command

0 for off
    Code:
    adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 0

1 for on
    Code:
    adb shell settings put system buttons_show_on_screen_navkeys 1
    Anyone knows how to get the gap under the dock closed?
    If you enabled the default "Hide the navigation bar" in Android, disable it again. :)
    Hi guys, I just updated my post to avoid confusion on which code to be used for root / non-root method.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75023979&postcount=64

For rooted users, you can create a quick setting task in Tasker to make it easier to switch the navbar on or off. See screenshots attached.

I hope this helps.
    @nxss4 I think using joneplus tools to add a quick settings toggle to turn off navigation bar as mentioned by @prile97 is a way easier method.

Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jroot3d.joneplustools

A quick settings tile will now be available to toggle the navigation bar on or off. (open the app in case the tile is not available.

Could you also add this method to the OP. Seems a lot easier than xposed.
    Thank you.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone