[Guide][Root] How To Root Marshmallow (SM-G920P) *Updated*

Search This thread

Mar 16, 2014
Hey guys, I decided to update the thread in hopes of clearing confusion.

Currently I've found two methods of rooting that seem to help people.

Method 1 - E.K IT Services: ekitservices.com currently run by senior member @djerick3 *Not a sponsorship*

Method 2 - CF-Auto Root: Very simple and easy to use, all you need a:
  • Windows PC (7 - 10)
  • USB Cable

Step 1 - Download CF-Auto Root for the SM-G920P.

Step 2 - Using either adb (adb reboot download) or hardware keys (turn the device off and hold in Volume Down + Home Button + Power Button once prompted, press Volume Up)

Step 3 - Plug the device into the PC and open the included Odin in the CF-Auto zip

Step 4 - Click the "AP" button and choose the included md5 file

Step 5 - Make sure to check the "Option(s)" tab and make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked. Then switch back to the main tab and press start.

Step 6 - Wait as CF-Auto Root will begin to boot and root, note that the process can take while. Upon rebooting you should have the SuperSU app (Note. If its not there, you can find it HERE)

Step 6 - Enjoy

< ----- Optional - TWRP Install ------ >
As of right now, current TWRP releases are not working on marshmallow. Lucky though @ram9200 created a custom version of the tool that should work:cool:

Step 1 - Download the TWRP Tar file

Step 2 - Boot back into Odin mode and flash via Odin on your PC (use the "AP" tab once more)

Hope this helps:good: as always though, of you need help feel free to to send me a PM:cool:

Last edited:

Neto.

Jun 26, 2012
I must be doing something wrong

when I flash it with odin it says it was successful and reboots to home screen, then when I turn the phone off an turn on with power+home+volup it goes to a blue screen saying its installing an update and then to normal recovery

valbher

Feb 23, 2009
Hey guys, after all the confusion on rooting 6.0.1, I decided to throw together a guide real quick (hope this helps)

To do this, you will need:
TWRP (This is a special version only for the Sprint SM-G920P and is meant to be flashed with Odin)
SuperSU 2.68
Odin

Steps)
1) Boot your device into download/odin mode (adb reboot download) or (while the device is off hold home+power+volume down then you will be taken to a light blueish screen saying "Warning", just press volume up)
2) Once your device is in download/odin mode, plug it into your windows PC and open Odin then in odin, click the "AP" button then find where you downloaded the TWRP .tar and press start
3) After that, your device should reboot into the system, if present use "adb reboot recovery" if you don't have adb, turn the device off and hold home+power+volume up and your should get some red text in the upper left hand corner then you should be brought to TWRP where you can flash SuperSU (to get SuperSU onto your device, you can use TWRP's built in MTP function or use adb, I recommend using adb but TWRP's MTP is also good (to enable MTP, click on the "mount" button then make sure to tap the "Cache","Data" and "System" buttons, if your PC does not detect the device, tap "Disable MTP" then tap "Enable MTP". Then your device should be detected where you can then move SuperSU to your device and flash it,

If you need any help, please feel free to PM me:good:
As soon as I get home will try this, thanks a bunch!
I need to get my free Hotspot again, I guess I will have to add a new rom, any suggestions?

Reactions: jtekulsky

lilmarsh

Jun 15, 2015
Help

Same issue here. when recovery is booted. blue update screen then original recovery. OEM is on

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

im getting the blue updateing as well. then goes to original recovery/ OEM is on

tetreves

Mar 24, 2016
This worked for me! Thank you so much!

A few modifications to the overall guide:

a. Turn on OEM unlock (I forgot to do this first)
2. Turn off auto-boot in ODIN (I needed to do this, as TWRP would not load the first time)
d. Move SuperSU zip folder to phone (same as other methods)

Now just need a good custom ROM...

Emadness

Sep 29, 2015
I unchecked auto-boot in Odin and turned on OEM unlock, but it isn't working. I boot into download mode and apply the TWRP, but it is just stuck in download mode with the white bar at like 99% complete. It doesn't hit 100%. I forced my phone off and then booted into recovery right after and now my recovery mode is a white screen. Not really sure what to do.

Last edited:

dee3

Oct 15, 2010
Branson West
I was curious since it said Sprint only method but assured it rooted my us cellular just fine and everything is working. Rebooted and still have root and working twrp recovery. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1459236650785.jpg
    1459236650785.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 598

SillyTAO

Jan 7, 2013
Hey guys, after all the confusion on rooting 6.0.1, I decided to throw together a guide real quick (hope this helps)

To do this, you will need:
TWRP (This is a special version only for the Sprint SM-G920P and is meant to be flashed with Odin)
SuperSU 2.68
Odin

Steps)
1) Boot your device into download/odin mode (adb reboot download) or (while the device is off hold home+power+volume down then you will be taken to a light blueish screen saying "Warning", just press volume up)
2) Once your device is in download/odin mode, plug it into your windows PC and open Odin then in odin, click the "AP" button then find where you downloaded the TWRP .tar and press start
3) After that, your device should reboot into the system, if present use "adb reboot recovery" if you don't have adb, turn the device off and hold home+power+volume up and your should get some red text in the upper left hand corner then you should be brought to TWRP where you can flash SuperSU (to get SuperSU onto your device, you can use TWRP's built in MTP function or use adb, I recommend using adb but TWRP's MTP is also good (to enable MTP, click on the "mount" button then make sure to tap the "Cache","Data" and "System" buttons, if your PC does not detect the device, tap "Disable MTP" then tap "Enable MTP". Then your device should be detected where you can then move SuperSU to your device and flash it,

If you need any help, please feel free to PM me:good:
Thank U!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I decided to update the thread in hopes of clearing confusion.

Currently I've found two methods of rooting that seem to help people.

Method 1 - E.K IT Services: ekitservices.com currently run by senior member @djerick3 *Not a sponsorship*

Method 2 - CF-Auto Root: Very simple and easy to use, all you need a:
    • Windows PC (7 - 10)
    • USB Cable

Step 1 - Download CF-Auto Root for the SM-G920P.

Step 2 - Using either adb (adb reboot download) or hardware keys (turn the device off and hold in Volume Down + Home Button + Power Button once prompted, press Volume Up)

Step 3 - Plug the device into the PC and open the included Odin in the CF-Auto zip

Step 4 - Click the "AP" button and choose the included md5 file

Step 5 - Make sure to check the "Option(s)" tab and make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked. Then switch back to the main tab and press start.

Step 6 - Wait as CF-Auto Root will begin to boot and root, note that the process can take while. Upon rebooting you should have the SuperSU app (Note. If its not there, you can find it HERE)

Step 6 - Enjoy

< ----- Optional - TWRP Install ------ >
    As of right now, current TWRP releases are not working on marshmallow. Lucky though @ram9200 created a custom version of the tool that should work:cool:

Step 1 - Download the TWRP Tar file

Step 2 - Boot back into Odin mode and flash via Odin on your PC (use the "AP" tab once more)

Hope this helps:good: as always though, of you need help feel free to to send me a PM:cool:
    As soon as I get home will try this, thanks a bunch!
    I need to get my free Hotspot again, I guess I will have to add a new rom, any suggestions?

I'm hoping to have TeamSPR ready by Sunday:fingers-crossed:
    First time using this forum and first time attempting to root a device. I read this entire thread, followed the instructions including the extra steps other users added, and easily obtained root access. Root checker verified. The next day I flashed a zip to re-enable "unlimited" hotspot. Very happy, very pleased and already getting a little addicted, getting the itch to try a custom rom. Thank you for this guys! [emoji4]
    The updated tutorial is here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sp...uide-links-files-update-root-restore-t3366862
    And I know that all files there work.
    One of the issues on XDA with all the new people is that no one looks at the date of the original post or even the last post. If no one has posted for several months before you, odds are that the post is out of date.
    First time using this forum and first time attempting to root a device. I read this entire thread, followed the instructions including the extra steps other users added, and easily obtained root access. Root checker verified. The next day I flashed a zip to re-enable "unlimited" hotspot. Very happy, very pleased and already getting a little addicted, getting the itch to try a custom rom. Thank you for this guys! [emoji4]
    Word of advice , do A COMPLETE BACKUP with custom recovery.
    I imagine you are using TWRP. Select everything except cache....

Sent from my SM-G935P using XDA-Developers mobile app