[GUIDE] Root Huawei Honor 8 Lite and install TWRP custom recovery (EMUI 5.X)

Search This thread

shashank1320

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2015
Delhi
Note-
  • Applicable for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
  • Similar steps are applicable for EMUI 4.X as well but TWRP file will change.

Hi Folks,

Just adding this guide for rooting method for Honor 8 Lite. This was tested by one of the user referring my original guide for Honor 6X and confirmed this is working absolutely fine. I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.

Prerequisites-
Enable the developer option in settings-
  • Go to Settings--> About Phone-->Tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
  • Go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -Developer Options
  • Scroll for the debugging section and enable the USB Debugging
  • You will be prompted for the confirmation with RSA key, just accept it.
  • Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options (just above the USB debugging option) – Most probably this option will not be there on EMUI 5.0 (only few have seen on EMUI but it was there on EMUI 4.1 for all but rarely on EMUI 5.0)
  • Please note down you build number, this may become handy in case something goes wrong to restore your phone via DLOAD. In Settings- About phone- Build Number

Installation of required Drivers.
  • Connect your phone to PC and install Hi Suite on PC and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to PC and HiSUite on Mobile.
  • Download and Install ADB from Link
  • Accept all the prompts and install ADB drive system wise.
  • Once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under C:\adb

Downloading the necessary files.
  • Download TWRP from Link Thanks to @OldDroid for his Original Thread and @surdu_petru & @XePeleato- This was not possible without their excellent work.
  • Move the downloaded file under C:\adb or wherever you have installed the ADB.
  • Download the SuperSU file from this Link and put it in SD card or keep handy on PC so that you can copy to internal memory later.

Get the unlock as mentioned in this thread

Actual Procedure
Unlocking the bootloader-
  • Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
  • On windows machine, go to folder C:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
  • Press shift+right click together and select Open command prompt here (it will be open PowerShell here on Windows 8 and Windows 10 machine)
  • Run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of RSA key if not already accepted)
  • This will boot the phone into bootloader mode.
  • Run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- Put your actual code you obtained from Huawei site > (This step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)
  • Phone will restart automatically.

Installing TWRP
  • Once on the system, open the PowerShell or command prompt again in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • Run - adb reboot bootloader
  • Once in bootloader, Run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-berlin.img (This will install the TWRP recovery for EMUI 5.0 on your phone)
  • Once done with the flashing the TWRP, Run - fastboot reboot

Rooting
  • Once booted to system, open the PowerShell or command prompt in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
  • Run - adb reboot recovery
  • And your phone will boot into the TWRP recovery by Open Kirin Team.
  • Copy the SuperU file downloaded to SD card or Internal memory.
  • Install the SuperSU zip.

Reboot and enjoy the complete ownership of the device with root permission and happy Flashing the custom ROMs

Video tutorial by @PaulR11 here for 6X, this will remain the same.

kareemhafez87

Feb 5, 2018
I followed the instructions but my phone reboots itself continuously and does not boot to system. Any ideas?

Honor 8 lite bootloop

I followed the instructions but my phone reboots itself continuously and does not boot to system. Any ideas?
Hi, am also having the same problem here! I unlocked the bootloader okay, flashed twrp okay, but when flashing SuperSU I got multiple errors at the end of which when I restarted the system my phone started to boot loop. Its now showing Huawei eRecovery but am getting the message "Getting Package info Failed". How do I recover from this???

player98343

Oct 16, 2017
Hi, am also having the same problem here! I unlocked the bootloader okay, flashed twrp okay, but when flashing SuperSU I got multiple errors at the end of which when I restarted the system my phone started to boot loop. Its now showing Huawei eRecovery but am getting the message "Getting Package info Failed". How do I recover from this???
https://xdaforums.com/p8lite/p8-lite-2017-discussion/returned-to-stock-rebranding-gr3-2017-t3749832 you can try this method

Reactions: saba911

crni_

Apr 16, 2018
Belgrade
move apps to SD

Can you move apps to SD with rooted Huawei Honor 8 lite?
I am deeply unsatisfied that you simply cannot move apps to SD on this phone, and now I can't even update my system because there is no enough space to download the update...

LukaSenpai

Aug 4, 2018
Is this working for honor 8 lite with emui 8.0, or i just need to change twrp but the steps are the same?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note-
    • Applicable for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
    • Similar steps are applicable for EMUI 4.X as well but TWRP file will change.

Hi Folks,

Just adding this guide for rooting method for Honor 8 Lite. This was tested by one of the user referring my original guide for Honor 6X and confirmed this is working absolutely fine. I will just simplify the steps so that any new users can do this without any problem and without any prior experience to rooting, it may be long but will be the simple enough for all the users.

Prerequisites-
    Enable the developer option in settings-
    • Go to Settings--> About Phone-->Tab build number 7 times to enable this setting.
    • Go back in setting page, just above system update, you will see a new menu as -Developer Options
    • Scroll for the debugging section and enable the USB Debugging
    • You will be prompted for the confirmation with RSA key, just accept it.
    • Enable OEM Unlock in Developer Options (just above the USB debugging option) – Most probably this option will not be there on EMUI 5.0 (only few have seen on EMUI but it was there on EMUI 4.1 for all but rarely on EMUI 5.0)
    • Please note down you build number, this may become handy in case something goes wrong to restore your phone via DLOAD. In Settings- About phone- Build Number

Installation of required Drivers.
    • Connect your phone to PC and install Hi Suite on PC and it will additionally install all the necessary drivers to PC and HiSUite on Mobile.
    • Download and Install ADB from Link
    • Accept all the prompts and install ADB drive system wise.
    • Once installation is completed, if default options are chosen, it will be under C:\adb

Downloading the necessary files.
    • Download TWRP from Link Thanks to @OldDroid for his Original Thread and @surdu_petru & @XePeleato- This was not possible without their excellent work.
    • Move the downloaded file under C:\adb or wherever you have installed the ADB.
    • Download the SuperSU file from this Link and put it in SD card or keep handy on PC so that you can copy to internal memory later.

Get the unlock as mentioned in this thread

Actual Procedure
    Unlocking the bootloader-
    • Backup all your data as unlocking the bootloader will reset the device and all your data will be erased.
    • On windows machine, go to folder C:\adb or wherever you installed the adb drivers.
    • Press shift+right click together and select Open command prompt here (it will be open PowerShell here on Windows 8 and Windows 10 machine)
    • Run - adb reboot bootloader (this command may prompt for acceptance of RSA key if not already accepted)
    • This will boot the phone into bootloader mode.
    • Run - fastboot oem unlock <16 digit unlock code- Put your actual code you obtained from Huawei site > (This step will unlock the bootloader and will erase all your data)
    • Phone will restart automatically.

Installing TWRP
    • Once on the system, open the PowerShell or command prompt again in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
    • Run - adb reboot bootloader
    • Once in bootloader, Run - fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-berlin.img (This will install the TWRP recovery for EMUI 5.0 on your phone)
    • Once done with the flashing the TWRP, Run - fastboot reboot

Rooting
    • Once booted to system, open the PowerShell or command prompt in ADB folder (can use the previous instance as well)
    • Run - adb reboot recovery
    • And your phone will boot into the TWRP recovery by Open Kirin Team.
    • Copy the SuperU file downloaded to SD card or Internal memory.
    • Install the SuperSU zip.

Reboot and enjoy the complete ownership of the device with root permission and happy Flashing the custom ROMs

Video tutorial by @PaulR11 here for 6X, this will remain the same.
    If I want to install magisk on stuck rom should I follow this solution ?
    Any chance to root without unlocking boot rom?
    https://xdaforums.com/p8lite/p8-lite-2017-discussion/returned-to-stock-rebranding-gr3-2017-t3749832 you can try this method

Hi, thanks for the reply. This post seems to be about the GR3 2017, however I am using the Honor 8 lite...