[GUIDE] Root Instructions (manual method)

Search This thread

Ireas

Oct 18, 2009
Google Pixel 6
If you are on FW: 2.0 or 2.0.1 Read PART 1
If you are on FW: 2.1 Read Part 2
MOD EDIT: For the Telus 2.0.1/2.1 Milestones, start at Part 2.

PART 1
So you are on Firmware 2.0 or 2.0.1 and wanna get root permissions.
  1. First thing you need is the rooted update.zip, which you can download HERE
  2. Put the ZIP file on your SD card
  3. Shut down your phone
  4. Go into recovery mode by holding the Camera-Button and pressing Power-Up
  5. When you see the /!\ -sign press Volume-Up and the the Camera Button
  6. Select "Apply update.zip"
  7. Your'e done

PART 2
Be sure that your phone have atleast 80% of charge.
  1. To root a 2.1 phone we need to downgrade the recovery
  2. For this we need a Only-Recovery SBF file which we can flash via RSD Lite
  3. First install the USB drivers from Motorola
  4. The you need the RSD Lite Tool | Linux machines can use the linux flasher (created by [mbm])
  5. And the Recovery-Only SBF (which will downgrade the Recovery Partition and not the system)
  6. Start the RSD Lite, select the SBF file
  7. Plug in your phone (while its off)
  8. Go into the Bootloader Mode by holding UP (on the hardware keyboard) and press Power-On for 2-3 seconds (if UP doesn't work try pressing X)
  9. Now select your phone which should be now visible in the RSD Lite tool
  10. Press Start
  11. The phone will reboot 1-3 times while the downgrade process. DO NOT unplug it
  12. When its done, you can apply the same method as in PART 1

Last edited by a moderator:

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
If Im correct then the Telus MotoMilestone requires a different method to root?

I would update your Telus Milestone to 2.1 and then use the Part 2 method. That will work.

EDIT: The Telus 2.0.1 method requires you to flash the Brazilian 2.0.1 SPF, and then do the rest of Part 1. I would not recommend that.

However, I have a nandroid backup of a Telus 2.0.1 stock, if you ever need to restore that.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
EDIT: The Telus 2.0.1 method requires you to flash the Brazilian 2.0.1 SPF, and then do the rest of Part 1. I would not recommend that.

However, I have a nandroid backup of a Telus 2.0.1 stock, if you ever need to restore that.

Telus 2.0.1 was also rootable by flashing the same rootable recovery only SBF. I did it and it worked. :)

Indeed though, the only way back to Telus 2.0.1 is by nandroid, not SBF. But you'd have to have a pretty good reason for wanting 2.0.1 over 2.1.

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Telus 2.0.1 was also rootable by flashing the same rootable recovery only SBF. I did it and it worked. :)

Indeed though, the only way back to Telus 2.0.1 is by nandroid, not SBF. But you'd have to have a pretty good reason for wanting 2.0.1 over 2.1.

Sorry, my mistake.. thanks for correcting me!

xminds

Dec 1, 2008
Does part 2 work with the moto droid? The only reason I ask is because the file downloaded, is milestone_root.zip, trying to be cautious and not brick my phone :) thanks in advance for the info.

Wow, soo sorry, I just did the research, the milstone and the moto droid are one in the same, >.<

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Does part 2 work with the moto droid? The only reason I ask is because the file downloaded, is milestone_root.zip, trying to be cautious and not brick my phone :) thanks in advance for the info.

Wow, soo sorry, I just did the research, the milstone and the moto droid are one in the same, >.<

NO, the CDMA Droid is not the same as the GSM/UMTS Milestone. We can't guarantee these methods will work for Droids. But if they do, feel free to report it!

Kuulthag

Jul 11, 2009
getting an error EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
signature verification failed!!
Installation aborted !!

How can i solve this?

promackid

Jun 4, 2010
Droid root 2.1 tethering

will it erase all data on droid? What is a good kernel for wifi tethering on stock 2.1?

Last edited:

aerdely

May 8, 2010
Don't know if anyone notice but there's an app out to root your phone now even if on 2.1. Its called easy root and its on the market. It says its been tested on Droid and couple other devices. Just something for noobs to know and if you had questions about rooting with out computer in passed. Give it a look!

Sent from my droid using XDA App

Silent1990

Jul 19, 2007
ok...i downgrade my milestone then now i have rooted...work greate...but i have a problem i can't upgrade to 2.1!
can someone help me?