hey . im currently on T mobile oneplus 8 android 11 build number 22.214.171.124 IN55CB .. can i directly flash recovery after unlocking bootloader? is it necessary to downgrade via msm?Requires Bootloader to be unlocked (Tutorial for unlocking T-Mobile bootloader)
- Download the latest Magisk.zip from github (link below)
- Download attached recovery.img and flash to recovery partition. (command below)
-Boot to the newly installed recovery, by selecting recovery on the Fastboot screen on your device (scroll with volume buttons). Once booted choose "Apply Update" then "Apply from ADB"
- In adb on your pc, push the magisk.zip with the command "adb sideload Magisk-vXXX.zip" Make sure the magisk zip file is in your fastboot folder if you don't have fastboot system-wide.
- It will give signature verification error on your phone, choose "INSTALL ANYWAY"
- Reboot to system and install the Magisk Manager app and you will see Magisk succesfully installed
To flash recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Latest Magisk
The attatched recovery.img for those wondering is pulled directly from the latest version of crDroid ROM by firebird11.
Full credits to the Magisk team as well of course we appreciate you.
I tested this after using MSM tool back to stock T-Mobile firmware, taking the OTA to OOS11, then preceding with these steps. I can 100% guarantee this works on the T-Mobile Oneplus 8 5G. However due to the simpleness of this method, and the fact it doesn't use a boot.img from specific devices, and instead uses the universal Magisk.zip, I would imaging this works just fine on other variants, and probably even the OP8PRO and OP8T. Of you have a non T-Mobile variant, feel free to test this method and comment your success below so I can update the thread for other users.