[Guide][Root] Magisk without TWRP on Android P

Search This thread

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
Via Magisk Manager:
This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
However, you MUST have a stock boot image dump beforehand, and you also have to be able to flash the patched boot image, either through fastboot mode

REQUIREMENTS -

1 - Setup adb and fastboot on your PC.
2- Stock boot image (boot.img) of your device (extract file from factory image android P)
3 - Last Magisk Manager (v 5.8.3)
4 - Active Internet connection
5 - Active mind and patience.
6 - Devices must is unlock bl.

This Boot-Image is for boot android P PPR1.180610.009:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=166pE9aMk-jqns3JM74enFhsaDY6-c3yJ

Magisk Manager
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

==================================================

Step 1: Patching the stock boot.img
1- Copy the stock boot.img of your device to your phone's internal storage.
2- Install the latest Magisk Manager
3- Launch Magisk Manager app
4- If prompted to install Magisk, select NO THANKS
5- If you're planning to flash the patched boot image,For normal users leave it as the default .img
6-Press Setting>Update Channel>Beta
7- Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
Navigate to the location of the stock boot.img you copied earlier on, then Select it
8- Magisk Manager should begin downloading the magisk zip file used for patching
9- Once download is complete, MagiskManager will automatically patch the boot file and store it under SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img

Step 2: Flashing the patched boot.img
1- Copy the patched_boot.img from your phone's internal storage to folder adb or platform-tools on PC (directory>SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img)

2- You could also use Fastboot to flash the patched_boot.img or boot.img (if you've renamed then the command must reflect the file name) as outlined below

How to Flash patched_boot.img using Fastboot

1- Setup adb and fastboot on your PC.
2- Unlock the phone's Bootloader (if its not unlocked)
3-Re-enable USB debugging on the phone
4- Connect the phone to the PC via USB cord
5- Boot into fastboot mode.
code
-adb reboot bootloader
6- Flash the patched_boot and reboot by typing in the commands below into adb CMD prompt window and hitting Enter after each line -

Quote:
Code:
fastboot devices
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
fastboot reboot

-Verify root using Root Checker

Try at your own Risk

CREDITS
@topjohnwu (Magisk)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,881
  • 3.png
    3.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,874
  • Eboot.jpg
    Eboot.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 3,666
Last edited:

Larzzzz82

Mar 24, 2014
Boston, MA
This worked for me. I had magisk installed and took the pie update. No more root. D/l the factory image and extracted the boot image to the files folder...pissmeoff they changed the name of the icon... and magisk patched the image and saved it in its folder. Found the file, moved it to the laptop then flashed it.

reawo

Sep 30, 2012
I always did that method pre Pie and it always worked but now I end up in a bootloop and I did everything according to guide

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
I always did that method pre Pie and it always worked but now I end up in a bootloop and I did everything according to guide

I think you use my file(boot.img) for patch_boot.img from magisk manager.
I think you must check your build number devices.
You must use file boot.img from your factory image for root.

9.0.0 (PPR1.180610.009, Aug 2018) >This is version for my devices
9.0.0 (PPR1.180610.011, Aug 2018, Telstra) >?

reawo

Sep 30, 2012
hey mate thanks for the input, I got a normal non testra (whatever that is) taimen - tried your boot.img and before that I tried the one from the factory image, both result in a boot loop.

I went through all stages of the Android p beta and in the end, to try solve this, I also non wipe flashed the factory image all to get the same result

could you sent me a drive Link to the patched version of yours or something?

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
hey mate thanks for the input, I got a normal non testra (whatever that is) taimen - tried your boot.img and before that I tried the one from the factory image, both result in a boot loop.

I went through all stages of the Android p beta and in the end, to try solve this, I also non wipe flashed the factory image all to get the same result

could you sent me a drive Link to the patched version of yours or something?

This is file patch_boot.img from my devices.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nVEpoGam-VY1YT3GBbG6HNfhnT2NqRin

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
Also doesnt work, i thought so - didnt do anything different than when it worked - no idea why it doesn't though
Is there a way to see or read out any protocols regarding this?
You use adb last version for flash patch_boot.img ?
I think you should flash factory image new again and factory reset your devices.
You are use stock kernel or other kernel on your devices.

reawo

Sep 30, 2012
You use adb last version for flash patch_boot.img ?
I think you should flash factory image new again and factory reset your devices.
You are use stock kernel or other kernel on your devices.

I downloaded all the latest adb and fastboot. Never touched kernel or did custom recovery, always used the magisk method since i am on a pixel device. i also got the issue that my pc doesnt recognize my pixel from time to time, you think i should do a complete wipe?

newyesor

Jul 27, 2014
Bangkok
@reawo

5- If you're planning to flash the patched boot image,For normal users leave it as the default .img
6-Press Setting>Update Channel>Beta ,and close this app.****
7- Open app again and Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
Navigate to the location of the stock boot.img you copied earlier on, then Select it
8- Magisk Manager should begin downloading the magisk zip file used for patching (This process is not failed)***
9- Once download is complete, MagiskManager will automatically patch the boot file and store it under SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img

1- Copy the patched_boot.img from your phone's internal storage to folder adb or platform-tools on PC (directory>SDcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img)

2- You could also use Fastboot to flash the patched_boot.img or boot.img (if you've renamed then the command must reflect the file name) as outlined below

code
-adb reboot bootloader
6- Flash the patched_boot and reboot by typing in the commands below into adb CMD prompt window and hitting Enter after each line -

Quote:
Code:
fastboot devices
fastboot reboot

Try at your own Risk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Via Magisk Manager:
    This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
    However, you MUST have a stock boot image dump beforehand, and you also have to be able to flash the patched boot image, either through fastboot mode

REQUIREMENTS -

1 - Setup adb and fastboot on your PC.
    2- Stock boot image (boot.img) of your device (extract file from factory image android P)
    3 - Last Magisk Manager (v 5.8.3)
    4 - Active Internet connection
    5 - Active mind and patience.
    6 - Devices must is unlock bl.

This Boot-Image is for boot android P PPR1.180610.009:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=166pE9aMk-jqns3JM74enFhsaDY6-c3yJ

Magisk Manager
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

==================================================

6-Press Setting>Update Channel>Beta
    7- Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
    8- Magisk Manager should begin downloading the magisk zip file used for patching

code
    -adb reboot bootloader

Quote:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot reboot

Try at your own Risk

CREDITS
    @topjohnwu (Magisk)
    Will work on the verizon variant (bootloader locked)?

Nope. If it were that easy for bootloader locked Verizon phones, it would have been done months ago.
    What happens if you lock the bootloader after all of this?

When still rooted and modified? You might very well brick it. Relocking while modified is borderline insanity.
    I put the boot.img on the phone, a Pixel 2
    loaded the magisk App
    put the magisk v18 zip file on the phone.
    I start the app, select install Magisk v18, then select the boot.img file
    Then this happens:
    -copying boot image to cache
    -device platform: arm64-V8a
    -existing zip found
    -extracting files
    -unpacking boot image
    -checking ramdisk status
    -stock boot image detected
    -backing up stock boot image
    -patching ramdisk
    -repacking boot image
    ! installation failed

I am not sure where to go from here. Please help
    My first question is, is your bootloader unlocked? Second, why bother patching the boot image? Why not just boot twrp and install magisk with that?
    Thank you for responding.
    My bootloader is unlocked.
    I have tried booting into twrp but it does not decrypt the hard drive and I cannot locate the zip file for Magisk.
    I have removed the pin lock on the phone and it still presents the files as encrypted on the phone.
    I was attempting to use the img file and load the Magisk file from there but the decrypting problem has me stumped.
    Set a pin on your phone and then use that same pin when you boot to twrp. If you don't do that then twrp doesn't have any information to decrypt.

Edit, You don't have the command correct. Put the magisk zip in the same folder as adb. Then. adb push magisk.zip /sdcard/Download
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone