• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] ROOT OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G (T-Mobile version HD1925)

Search This thread

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​
fastboot oem get_unlock_code
This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
fastboot flash cust-unlock "%path\to\unlock_code.bin%"
fastboot oem unlock
<<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

Finally, the phone is unlocked. Now we can root it.

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
fastboot boot "%path\to\twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img%"
Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=boot.img
adb pull /boot.img
This will copy your boot.img file to wherever adb is running on your computer.

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...
fastboot boot "%path\to\magisk_patched.img%"

8. Final step. And hopefully your phone boots up.
*If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b
Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.
Reboot and enjoy!! :D

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***

Last edited:

TapRooted

Jul 16, 2013
which device did you select from the OnePlus token unlock? it doesnt have an option for 7t pro mclaren, only:

OnePlus 6t
OnePlus 7 pro
OnePlus 7t
OnePlus 7t (5g)

taxi333

Dec 10, 2011
San Diego
Great! Yeah I wish. TWRP doesn't work yet even just booting it. You can't mount system and it won't decrypt. You can use it with a decrypted system, but I think it still won't mount the system partition, so there's really no point.

Good to know, I was going to decrypt my phone just but there is no point of doing this if I can't use TWRP =/ ...

jhofseth

Feb 27, 2016
Seattle, Washington
stock and magisk patched 5G McLaren boot images

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
2 boot images (zipped with ZArchiver app), one is stock and the other patched with latest available Magisk.

4.14.117-perf+
#1 Wed Dec 4 20:44:37 CST 2019

Android security patch level
November 1, 2019

As mentioned, booting the unzipped Magisk patched boot image requires an unlocked bootloader.

Attachments

• magisk_patched.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 669
  • boot.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 608
Last edited:
I've tried getting my phone permanently unlocked with 2 different reps.
They both gave me the same answer, need this phone to be on the network for 40 days before they're willing to assist me any further.
Curious to know what you've said to get them to assist you so early.
Was hoping there's a workaround for this, but there doesn't appear to be one.

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
They both gave me the same answer, need this phone to be on the network for 40 days before they're willing to assist me any further.
Yeah, like I stated before, I simply asked them via Twitter DM. No questions asked. I told her that I wanted to unlock my phone for rooting, etc...and she obliged without any issues. I don't know. Try again maybe. Or use the other method people have posted.

Edit: This is literally what I said...

"Hi. I just recently purchased the new OnePlus 7t McLaren phone this past weekend, and I am definitely loving it. However, I noticed that I am unable to unlock my device. This is always something I do, so I can run certain tasks from my phone. Is there anyway somebody could please send me a permanent unlock code?? I would very much appreciate it!!!"

What's crazy is the fact that the person I spoke with on Twitter said that she won't do it because I was honest about wanting it unlocked for rooting purposes.

"It's super important that we set the right expectations. To protect our customers, T-Mobile does not support rooting (or un-rooting) Android devices.We never advise customers to root a device for any reason. Once a device is rooted, it is treated as a 3rd Party Device, meaning we are unable to troubleshoot if there are issues later on - this would also cause the warranty on the device to be voided.

If the device meets the unlock requirements (found here: https://t.co/ypU2LH9DIX) we can definitely assist with unlocking it, however we do not advise/cannot assist with rooting the device. I hope that clears things up a bit, but please let me know if you have any other questions."

I guess you lucked out with the person that helped you out.
I've messaged the guy from the other thread in hopes of a response about being able to assist me.

Bildo41383

Jan 16, 2016
Smithfield
What's crazy is the fact that the person I spoke with on Twitter said that she won't do it because I was honest about wanting it unlocked for rooting purposes.

"It's super important that we set the right expectations. To protect our customers, T-Mobile does not support rooting (or un-rooting) Android devices.We never advise customers to root a device for any reason. Once a device is rooted, it is treated as a 3rd Party Device, meaning we are unable to troubleshoot if there are issues later on - this would also cause the warranty on the device to be voided.

If the device meets the unlock requirements (found here: https://t.co/ypU2LH9DIX) we can definitely assist with unlocking it, however we do not advise/cannot assist with rooting the device. I hope that clears things up a bit, but please let me know if you have any other questions."

I guess you lucked out with the person that helped you out.
I've messaged the guy from the other thread in hopes of a response about being able to assist me.

I spoke with someone in the TMo app, and I told them I needed my phone unlocked because I use my phone when leaving the country for work and it's important to be able to use it. He had no problem unlocking it. I did the same thing unlocking the 6T.

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Has anyone tried setting up Gcam with App Systemizer? Or is that too risky at the moment?
I did just a couple days ago and it's SO worth it. No issues at all either. I can even switch between all 3 lenses without any problems. The portrait mode is night and day with the stock camera. If you have questions about the process, let me know.

Reactions: LLStarks

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
As long as it's idiot-proof, I'm in. My main concern for this device at the moment is rescue methods. I'm hoping nothing should require more than reflashing stock boot if things go wrong. But here we are dealing with Magisk modules. If a module goes haywire and starts causing bootloops, is disabling the module in TWRP possible over adb if we can't decrypt the partitions? Would a factory reset using either TWRP or stock recovery be the only way out? Or do we just reflash stock boot?

Last edited:

fodawim

Jul 13, 2011

I told them I was traveling for the holidays. They had me pay $75 on the phone (2 EIP payments) then unlocked it for me.

justthefacts

Feb 21, 2011
Do I need to do both "unlock_code.bin%" and "fastboot oem unlock" at the same time? or can I just do the unlock_code.bin now and the oem unlock sometime in the future when I'm ready to unlock the bootloader?

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Do I need to do both "unlock_code.bin%" and "fastboot oem unlock" at the same time? or can I just do the unlock_code.bin now and the oem unlock sometime in the future when I'm ready to unlock the bootloader?
You have to run the flash command using the .bin file first...then it will let you run fastboot oem unlock. They are separate commands. And yes, you could run the unlock command later. But I think you'd have to do the .bin command again when you're ready. I'm not sure to be honest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, that sucks. Thought I had done my homework before buying this phone. The ROMS for the 5g look pretty sparse, not a ton of development. I've never had a non-rooted phone before, but wondering if it's worth it. Might not keep this phone as long as planned, although I really do like OOS. So relocking the bootloader works to restore L1 on the international variants?

Thanks for all the info, though I don't like it.
    Yeah, I feel the same way.

I can't personally confirm or deny the reports on international variants. I do know quite a bit of people with stock 7/T/8/Pro lost L1 from an OTA and still haven't had it resolved. This is my first 1+ device and it'll most likely be my last.

There's quite a bit more info and development on telegram, I'll pm you.
    Does anyone have the stock boot image for 11.0.1.4 HD61CB?
    There is a working TWRP now, boot it, don't flash. Rename the magisk.apk to magisk.zip, flash and profit

I think this is my stock image
    Thank you for the stock boot image for 11.0.1.4 HD61CB @Machine318.
    Now I'm attaching the magisk patched boot image for 11.0.1.4 HD61CB
    Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
    Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​

This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
    NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
    fastboot oem unlock
    <<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
    Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
    adb pull /boot.img

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...

*If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
    fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b
    Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***
    fastboot

Steps that I followed:

fastboot oem unlock

adb pull /boot.img

fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b

I am experiencing a strange issue that I am hoping that someone can help me with. I have followed the instructions and gotten as far as unlocking my phone and the bootloader. However, when I run the fastboot command to boot into the TWRP .img file linked to in this post (or any custom boot image for that matter), my phone will just display and freeze on the fastboot mode screen:

20210831_190936.jpg

What is odd is that my phone will continue to respond to fastboot commands when frozen on this screen, so I can easily get out of it by simply running "fastboot reboot bootloader", but then I am back to square one. I am not sure what is going on, so some input from the community would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Steps that I followed:

fastboot oem unlock

adb pull /boot.img

fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b

stock and magisk patched 5G McLaren boot images

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
    2 boot images (zipped with ZArchiver app), one is stock and the other patched with latest available Magisk.

4.14.117-perf+
    #1 Wed Dec 4 20:44:37 CST 2019

Android security patch level
    November 1, 2019

As mentioned, booting the unzipped Magisk patched boot image requires an unlocked bootloader.
    Very curious, how did you pull the stock boot image from 11.0.1.2 without twrp working on OOS 11? Is there another way? If so, please share. Thank you so much!!
    I did:
    fastboot getvar all [to see what boot slot I needed to pull; this specific phone was was on b]
    fastboot boot twrp-3-5-1_10-hotdog.img
    adb pull /dev/block/by-name/boot_b boot.img
    [someone else might need boot_a if on slot a]
    So, I fastboot booted this TWRP and pulled boot image via ADB: https://github.com/Systemad/android_device_oneplus_hotdog/releases/tag/a11
    magisk patched (stable 22.1) boot image for 11.0.1.2 is attached (zipped).
    stock boot image for 11.0.1.2 is attached (zipped).