[GUIDE] ROOT OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G (T-Mobile version HD1925)

Search This thread

davebuddy69

Mar 25, 2015
After you've pulled the boot.img file, you don't need TWRP anymore. Boot your phone normal and copy the boot.img onto your phone. Open magisk and patch it. Copy the patched .img back to your PC. Now boot your phone in fastboot mode and boot from the patched .img. Your device should be temporarily rooted at this point. Open magisk manager and do a direct install. That should be it.
OK getting a little impatient with getting stable version of AOS11. Thinking about downloading OB4 zip since OTA's not working (Google Play Services not updating). Should i uninstall restore images in Magisk first like you say then start at step #5 of your guide? Thanks in advance, Dave

Potatoman31

Jul 20, 2015
Hello, I run into this issue when trying to get my boot.img pulled

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 21

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
    Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​
    fastboot oem get_unlock_code
    This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
    NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
    fastboot flash cust-unlock "%path\to\unlock_code.bin%"
    fastboot oem unlock
    <<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

Finally, the phone is unlocked. Now we can root it.

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
    fastboot boot "%path\to\twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img%"
    Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=boot.img
    adb pull /boot.img
    This will copy your boot.img file to wherever adb is running on your computer.

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...
    fastboot boot "%path\to\magisk_patched.img%"

8. Final step. And hopefully your phone boots up.
    *If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
    fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b
    Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.
    Reboot and enjoy!! :D

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***
    stock and magisk patched 5G McLaren boot images

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
    2 boot images (zipped with ZArchiver app), one is stock and the other patched with latest available Magisk.

4.14.117-perf+
    #1 Wed Dec 4 20:44:37 CST 2019

Android security patch level
    November 1, 2019

As mentioned, booting the unzipped Magisk patched boot image requires an unlocked bootloader.
    why after on 10.0.31 i unlock my bootloader and root i get ctsprofile false ??? . i have even done a full restore with msm tool updated .31 . checked magisk on locked bootloader no root ctsprofile TRUE .but once i unlock the bootloader its false ??? how can i fix this ? on .27 it was true with root and unlocked bootloader . also diffrent question anyone use this phone on tmobile and cant dial out unless you put phone in airplane mode like 6-20 times oof or reboot to make a dam call ? its been doing that scene new out the box , my oneplus 5t never had a issue on tmobile. Ok enable magik hide makes it true read the old posts and found fix there . And calls are working good so far but I give that a full 24hrs to make sure......

Make sure you enable Magisk Hide. It is not on by default, and you will fail Safety Net until you turn it on.

Which firmware should be on my phone when using this guide?
    Thank you much

This guide works for any version.
    I've tried getting my phone permanently unlocked with 2 different reps.
    They both gave me the same answer, need this phone to be on the network for 40 days before they're willing to assist me any further.
    Curious to know what you've said to get them to assist you so early.
    Was hoping there's a workaround for this, but there doesn't appear to be one.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone