[GUIDE] ROOT OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G (T-Mobile version HD1925)

Search This thread

starcms

Is this worth? I just got my phone unlocked and i miss being rooted. I see some roms but they don't seem up to date per say.
Also, can someone make a yt vod?

If you unlocked the bootloader and therefore lost Widevine L1 support FOREVER, you might as well make the most of it by installing Magisk. It's very simple, just follow the OP of this thread. You don't lose OTAs as long as you are sure to flash back to the stock, unmodified boot image before attempting to update each time.

Just please make a backup of your persist partition before installing Magisk and ASAP regardless since bootloader is unlocked and store it in at least 2 different places not on the phone.

If it gets corrupted, and chances are it will eventually, and you don't have a backup, at the least you'll have to spend time fixing the FP scanner but it will still never be as good as new, and at the worst not only losing the FP sensor, but all sensors, and possibly even MAC addresses and your IMEI therefore leaving you with an expensive paperweight (unless you send it to OnePlus for like $250 easy). And you can't use anyone else's, it's unique to every individual phone.

The best, most reliable way to backup persist (and any other partitions) is to use the MSM tool (Instructions are in the first page of most custom ROM threads in our roms subforum). To restore if or when needed, "fastboot flash persist name_of_backup.img"

killtaker7

Nov 13, 2020
how i rooted 1 plus 7 t pro 5g MClearen Edition
incase of reroot situation.

1. followed youtube video

2 used patched boot

3. first (only) boot the (patched .img) let system boot & reboot to bootloader.

4. then in fastboot once again enter cammand (fastboot flash boot_b [patched boot .img) will prbably boot loop
so dont worry.
5. then go into stock recovery mode and select reset 1.system setting /2.wipe cache/3.wipe all bottom option.

6. reboot back into system after doing complete reset & wipe - and reinstall magisk 2.1

7. from there it should automatically prompt you to reboot for extra setup .

8. once system is restarted , install root checker app and you should see congratz your rooted

All system and utilities should be fully functional and running have fun!

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
Not on this specific model you sure don't, I know on the OP8s they found a workaround for L1, but we're pretty much screwed
Huh. Intersting that Oneplus would have an approved unlock method that breaks the phone. Saw other posts saying locking the BL restores functionality though, including this one. Just got the phone and actually like OOS11 quite a bit, but the battery life sucks (2-3%+/hour when idle) and I can't figure out what's draining it wihout root. I don't use netflix, but hate the thought of permanently breaking something. I also can't figure out if any of the non-Mclaren specific roms work on this...

starcms

Huh. Intersting that Oneplus would have an approved unlock method that breaks the phone. Saw other posts saying locking the BL restores functionality though, including this one. Just got the phone and actually like OOS11 quite a bit, but the battery life sucks (2-3%+/hour when idle) and I can't figure out what's draining it wihout root. I don't use netflix, but hate the thought of permanently breaking something. I also can't figure out if any of the non-Mclaren specific roms work on this...

Unfortunately, only roms made for this very specific variant, the T-Mobile 7T Pro 5G McLaren (that's a mouthful, gonna stick with HD1925) will run.

The HD1925 was produced after the 7T/Pro and is a completely different beast, much more similar to 8/Pro as far as the underlying OS/system due to it's X55 modem and further changes made due to launching with A10. And it's the only 1+ phone tmk that can't be converted to global (because there was never a 7T Pro international variant with the X55 5G modem)

The regular non-5G 7T Pro McLaren is just a 7T Pro with a different colored back and possibly more memory and can run the same roms as the 7T Pro.

Unlocking the bootloader does come with a huge disclaimer, although it's still pretty messed up that OnePlus designed it to break L1 forever. I'm sure there is some way to restore it, but it has yet to be found on the HD1925.

If you decide to unlock the bootloader, please make a backup of your persist partition using the MSM tool before even unlocking. Or it's a very, very good chance you'll end up with a broken FP scanner (which can be fixed but never works as good as before) through no fault of your own or worse with a brick with no sensors, wifi, or even IMEI. And even if you are able to fix the FP reader, then you're stuck with the phone having to stay bootloader unlocked, as locking it will immediately break the FP sensor again.

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
Unfortunately, only roms made for this very specific variant, the T-Mobile 7T Pro 5G McLaren (that's a mouthful, gonna stick with HD1925) will run.

The HD1925 was produced after the 7T/Pro and is a completely different beast, much more similar to 8/Pro as far as the underlying OS/system due to it's X55 modem and further changes made due to launching with A10. And it's the only 1+ phone tmk that can't be converted to global (because there was never a 7T Pro international variant with the X55 5G modem)

The regular non-5G 7T Pro McLaren is just a 7T Pro with a different colored back and possibly more memory and can run the same roms as the 7T Pro.

Unlocking the bootloader does come with a huge disclaimer, although it's still pretty messed up that OnePlus designed it to break L1 forever. I'm sure there is some way to restore it, but it has yet to be found on the HD1925.

If you decide to unlock the bootloader, please make a backup of your persist partition using the MSM tool before even unlocking. Or it's a very, very good chance you'll end up with a broken FP scanner (which can be fixed but never works as good as before) through no fault of your own or worse with a brick with no sensors, wifi, or even IMEI. And even if you are able to fix the FP reader, then you're stuck with the phone having to stay bootloader unlocked, as locking it will immediately break the FP sensor again.
Wow, that sucks. Thought I had done my homework before buying this phone. The ROMS for the 5g look pretty sparse, not a ton of development. I've never had a non-rooted phone before, but wondering if it's worth it. Might not keep this phone as long as planned, although I really do like OOS. So relocking the bootloader works to restore L1 on the international variants?

Thanks for all the info, though I don't like it.

starcms

Wow, that sucks. Thought I had done my homework before buying this phone. The ROMS for the 5g look pretty sparse, not a ton of development. I've never had a non-rooted phone before, but wondering if it's worth it. Might not keep this phone as long as planned, although I really do like OOS. So relocking the bootloader works to restore L1 on the international variants?

Thanks for all the info, though I don't like it.
Yeah, I feel the same way.

I can't personally confirm or deny the reports on international variants. I do know quite a bit of people with stock 7/T/8/Pro lost L1 from an OTA and still haven't had it resolved. This is my first 1+ device and it'll most likely be my last.

There's quite a bit more info and development on telegram, I'll pm you.

Reactions: nola mike

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
There is a working TWRP now, boot it, don't flash. Rename the magisk.apk to magisk.zip, flash and profit
Do you have the link to the new TWRP for OP7T Pro 5G Mclaren? I only have TWRP 3.3..1-5 for this phone and yesterday when I tried, I can't find the magisk Zip file.
TWRP can't format data either. Failed to mount data.

Last edited:

Machine318

Attachments

• boot.img.gz
    16.9 MB · Views: 68

whiggs2

Dec 20, 2017
Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​
fastboot oem get_unlock_code

This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
fastboot flash cust-unlock "%path\to\unlock_code.bin%"
fastboot oem unlock
<<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

Finally, the phone is unlocked. Now we can root it.

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
fastboot boot "%path\to\twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img%"
Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=boot.img
adb pull /boot.img
This will copy your boot.img file to wherever adb is running on your computer.

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...
fastboot boot "%path\to\magisk_patched.img%"

8. Final step. And hopefully your phone boots up.
*If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b
Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.
Reboot and enjoy!! :D

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***
fastboot
Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​

This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
fastboot oem unlock
<<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
adb pull /boot.img

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...

*If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot --set-active=b
Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***

I am experiencing a strange issue that I am hoping that someone can help me with. I have followed the instructions and gotten as far as unlocking my phone and the bootloader. However, when I run the fastboot command to boot into the TWRP .img file linked to in this post (or any custom boot image for that matter), my phone will just display and freeze on the fastboot mode screen:

20210831_190936.jpg

What is odd is that my phone will continue to respond to fastboot commands when frozen on this screen, so I can easily get out of it by simply running "fastboot reboot bootloader", but then I am back to square one. I am not sure what is going on, so some input from the community would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: sirchawlez

sirchawlez

Jun 14, 2018
OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
fastboot

I am experiencing a strange issue that I am hoping that someone can help me with. I have followed the instructions and gotten as far as unlocking my phone and the bootloader. However, when I run the fastboot command to boot into the TWRP .img file linked to in this post (or any custom boot image for that matter), my phone will just display and freeze on the fastboot mode screen:

View attachment 5408839

What is odd is that my phone will continue to respond to fastboot commands when frozen on this screen, so I can easily get out of it by simply running "fastboot reboot bootloader", but then I am back to square one. I am not sure what is going on, so some input from the community would really be appreciated. Thanks.
im having the exact same issue and would appreciate any help, also i see people posting their patched boot.img as i assume a shortcut? would appreciate any simplified steps to follow using someones patched boot.img, sorry not super fluent in fastboot but understand the basics, been trying to successfully root after unlocking bootloader for ages so ANY help is greatly appreciated. thanks for taking time to read/reply!!

sabresfan

Jan 30, 2012
Google Pixel 6
OnePlus Nord N200 5G

im having the exact same issue and would appreciate any help, also i see people posting their patched boot.img as i assume a shortcut? would appreciate any simplified steps to follow using someones patched boot.img, sorry not super fluent in fastboot but understand the basics, been trying to successfully root after unlocking bootloader for ages so ANY help is greatly appreciated. thanks for taking time to read/reply!!
https://xdaforums.com/t/recovery-11-unofficial-teamwin-recovery-project-7t-7t-pro.4299171/ fastboot boot this twrp and flash the latest magisk zip. I suggest getting an USB OTG adapter and thumb drive. It makes life much easier with this phone imo. Check out the rom section here as well.

notrony

Sep 28, 2021
I've done exactly this with the latest magisk from github (v23.0), but as soon as I reboot as I normally would, I go into the magisk app and it's as if I've done nothing.
(I've tried it while not having the app installed to begin with and also having it already installed before flashing - no difference.)
Screenshot included to show what I see after flashing, rebooting, and opening the magisk app.
Any idea why this might be the case?
Also maybe worth mentioning (maybe not), safetynet check passes now and I'm pretty sure that wasnt the case before, but since I can't access magiskhide, things like nfc on gpay still don't work. Thanks in advance.View attachment 5420679

notrony

Sep 28, 2021
There is a working TWRP now, boot it, don't flash. Rename the magisk.apk to magisk.zip, flash and profit

https://xdaforums.com/t/recovery-11-unofficial-teamwin-recovery-project-7t-7t-pro.4299171/ fastboot boot this twrp and flash the latest magisk zip. I suggest getting an USB OTG adapter and thumb drive. It makes life much easier with this phone imo. Check out the rom section here as well.
Sorry forgot to quote what I was referring to. New here, after all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Steps that I followed:

fastboot oem unlock

adb pull /boot.img

fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b

stock and magisk patched 5G McLaren boot images

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
    2 boot images (zipped with ZArchiver app), one is stock and the other patched with latest available Magisk.

4.14.117-perf+
    #1 Wed Dec 4 20:44:37 CST 2019

Android security patch level
    November 1, 2019

As mentioned, booting the unzipped Magisk patched boot image requires an unlocked bootloader.
    Well, finally our lovely TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925) received an android 12 firmware update (HD1925_11_F.04) even though most already on android 13.

Attached please find the stock and magisk patched boot image for HD1925_11_F.04
    Very curious, how did you pull the stock boot image from 11.0.1.2 without twrp working on OOS 11? Is there another way? If so, please share. Thank you so much!!
    I did:
    fastboot getvar all [to see what boot slot I needed to pull; this specific phone was was on b]
    fastboot boot twrp-3-5-1_10-hotdog.img
    adb pull /dev/block/by-name/boot_b boot.img
    [someone else might need boot_a if on slot a]
    So, I fastboot booted this TWRP and pulled boot image via ADB: https://github.com/Systemad/android_device_oneplus_hotdog/releases/tag/a11
    Attached please find the fully functional working TWRP installer and image file for our beloved TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925). I just tested and worked on the latest firmware 11.0.1.10.HD61CB.
    I also included the stock and magisk patched boot image for 11.0.1.10.HD61CB