[GUIDE] ROOT OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren 5G (T-Mobile version HD1925)

Search This thread

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
Reactions: myxdad

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
PS can anyone refresh my memory as to what I need to do to go from HD 11.0.1.3 rooted & bootloaded unlocked, to HD 11.0.1.9?

Do I just install the patched 11.0.1.9? My OTAs don't work.
Once you're rooted, your OTA won't work.
The best way is to revert it back to factory using msmdownload, upgrade the firmware on the phone directly, unlock bootloader then rooted it again.

kishore075

As far as I know, Tmobile also don't provide their rom to be downloaded.

Reactions: myxdad

myxdad

Dec 24, 2020
Thanks guys. Thats a lot of work. Is there any real reason to go form 11.0.1.3 to 11.0.1.9?

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
Attached please find the fully functional working TWRP installer and image file for our beloved TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925). I just tested and worked on the latest firmware 11.0.1.10.HD61CB.
I also included the stock and magisk patched boot image for 11.0.1.10.HD61CB

Attachments

• twrp-installer-3.6.2_11-0-hotdog.zip
    37.4 MB · Views: 135
  • twrp-3.6.2_11-0-hotdog image.zip
    37.9 MB · Views: 134
  • Magisk-Pacthed Boot Image 11.0.1.10.HD61CB.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 124
  • Stock Boot Image 11.0.1.10.HD61CB.zip
    17 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

liberator130

Dec 19, 2014
So, for those of you having the same issue I was having, I figured out what the problem was, and I want to detail the issue and how I went about fixing it in case it helps others. The problem was with the Google USB driver that I installed for when the phone is booted into the bootloader. The below link describes in detail the process you need to go through, with one exception. After, you select the android_winusb.inf file in step 12, the document just says to click next, which will select the first option in the list, Android adb interface. That is NOT the option you want to select. You want to select the second option, Android Bootloader interface. Once I installed this driver to load when my android boots to the bootloader, I was able to boot TWRP images perfectly. If you already have a driver installed when your device boots into the bootloader, you will need to attach your device to your computer and boot it into the bootloader so that the driver will load. Then, launch Device Manager, locate the device in device manager, right click it, uninstall the driver (also check the box to uninstall the driver software or whatever if it appears), and then scan for hardware changes. You will likely see your device with a yellow triangle next to it. This is the state you want it to be in when following the steps as outined in the below article. Hope this helps:
This fixed my issue! For anyone who sees this, download the Youtuber's (Qasim) files (you'll need to subscribe to the Youtube channel to unlock the download link) and follow all instructions. Immediately after this, I went back to the terminal on my computer, which still had a bunch of other commands and outputs on it (same session), typed "fastboot devices" and bingo. It displayed my phone's ID # as:

(******** fastboot)

similar to doing the ADB devices command. Excellent!

Note: didn't see my device with a yellow triangle next to it in the Device Manager window. Mine says: Android Device -> Android Bootloader Interface. Idk if that makes a difference or not.

Unfortunately, my phone hangs on the Fastboot Mode splash screen and I cannot proceed. Works with the patched bootloader though! Maybe I got impatient with the twrp files? I'm starting to get impatient though.

I used the files provided by chueppo and now my phone's background looks different lol. So that means it probably, if not definitely, worked.

Holy cow. I had this phone for a year and I finally got the darn thing rooted lol. Victory! Thanks for everyone's help again.

I'm also keep an archive of the files I used to make everything work (adb, fastboot, patched ROM, etc) LMK if you're having trouble finding smth because it's quite a PITA hunting around for files to install on your PC etc.

Last edited:

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
Our lovely TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925) received October 1, 2022 firmware update and it's still on android 11.
Attached please find the stock and magisk patched boot image for 11.0.1.11.HD61CB.

Attachments

• Magisk-Patched Boot Image11.0.1.11 HD61CB .rar
    14.3 MB · Views: 134
  • Stock Boot Image11.0.1.11 HD61CB.rar
    14 MB · Views: 126

astracd

Jul 6, 2014
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy S9
Our lovely TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925) received October 1, 2022 firmware update and it's still on android 11.
Attached please find the stock and magisk patched boot image for 11.0.1.11.HD61CB.

I love how polite you are about them not upgrading it to 12. Regular 7T has 12 upgrade, they should just jump to 13 skipping 12 completely as 14 is here. LoL

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
What I posted is just the boot image of the firmware, not the full OTA firmware.
You don't happen to have the reserve.img or original recovery.img for 11.0.1.10HD61CB do you?

I didn't realize taking the OTAs was the only way to get updates for this phone. I finally got everything setup and would hate to have to MSM back and rebuild from scratch.

Is there anyway to pull the update after it has been downloaded to the device so that we could use TWRP to manually flash?

Last edited:
Attached please find the fully functional working TWRP installer and image file for our beloved TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925). I just tested and worked on the latest firmware 11.0.1.10.HD61CB.

Can we just fastboot boot the twrp img attached and then install the installer zip, reboot to recovery and flash magisk without getting into the patched img mess?

Chueppo

Aug 29, 2021
You don't happen to have the reserve.img or original recovery.img for 11.0.1.10HD61CB do you?

I didn't realize taking the OTAs was the only way to get updates for this phone. I finally got everything setup and would hate to have to MSM back and rebuild from scratch.

Is there anyway to pull the update after it has been downloaded to the device so that we could use TWRP to manually flash?
Unfortunately I don't have the recovery or persist image for 11.0.1.10
Sorry.

Last edited:

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Great instructions, however much does not work with Android 12.
Anybody got the fixed boot.img for Magisk?

Unfortunately, I don't have it yet as I've been delaying the upgrade. But you can create your own patched boot.img using the instructions in the OP.

What did Android 12 end up breaking for you?

My phone somehow installed it automatically (not sure how) and I really don't want it to reboot to complete the process.

pbergonzi

Jun 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Unfortunately, I don't have it yet as I've been delaying the upgrade. But you can create your own patched boot.img using the instructions in the OP.

What did Android 12 end up breaking for you?

My phone somehow installed it automatically (not sure how) and I really don't want it to reboot to complete the process.
It didn't break anything--I used Magisk "Complete Uninstall" and let the update run. It was huge but completed really quickly, and now I have nice, new android 12, and no data or settings wiped at all.
I cannot however get anything to occur with fastboot commands even though device is present after installing some "fastboot drivers." Tried booting with TWRP command (without flashing TWRP, tried copying out the boot.img using adb, but it seems as if locked out of finding anything), however I think TWRP for McLaren isn't made for Android 12.
So am hoping that with someone supplying the Magisk adjusted boot image, I can just flash it through Magisk.
That sure be nice and easy, and then I'll have my root apps back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. So I wanted to put together a little write-up on how to root the T-Mobile McLaren 5G variant, at least how I rooted mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything about this yet. I was actually able to root my device last night successfully, so I hope this guide helps others go through the process.

**WARNING** Unlocking your bootloader will render your phone unable to take OTA updates! This is a newly discovered problem that hopefully will be fixed soon. But currently, unlocking the bootloader will wipe your data and also a reserve.img needed for the OTA updates. Proceed with caution!

*I do not take ANY credit for this work. I am simply gathering data from various sources into one single reference guide*

*Credit is due to HolyChickenGuy and dstryrwiz mostly, as I gathered most of the data from these members. Also, topjohnwu of course for Magisk.*

So, anyhow, with this version of the OnePlus Pro 7T being carrier-locked, you must of course follow different procedures than a typical unlocked phone. And because OnePlus thinks they are special somehow, you also have to obtain an unlock code for the bootloader. :laugh:

Steps that I followed:

1. Obtain SIM unlock status via T-Mobile. In order to do this, I simply just asked a T-Mobile employee via Twitter if they could provide me a permanent unlock. And without any issues, they were very kind to do so....even after day 2 of owning the phone. And on the EIP, it's not paid off.

2. After getting them to add your IMEI to the unlock list, go to the system settings --> WiFi & internet --> SIM & network section. There will be an option called "Network Unlock" at the very bottom under the 'Advanced' section. Click that and then go through the prompts. You want to choose "Permanent Unlock". Then, if T-Mobile made on their promise, it should ask to reboot...after which the 'OEM unlocking' option under the Developer Options will no longer be grayed out. Woohoo!

3. After obtaining successful SIM unlock, now you have to submit a form to OnePlus to obtain the actual unlock.bin file to get the bootloader unlocked, generated from a unique 64 character code you will obtain in the next step.
    Ensure that USB Debugging is turned ON. In fact, make sure it's always on during this entire procedure, because it's required. Enter fastboot mode via holding the power and volume DOWN buttons during boot up. Or easiest way is to simply soft reboot with the "Advanced reboot" option enabled from the Developer Options. Once in fastboot mode, enter the following command to obtain this 64 character code...​
    fastboot oem get_unlock_code
    This will spit out that 64 character code. Now go to this page, sign in, and fill out the form to submit for the .bin file.​
    NOTE: This takes at LEAST 7 days to get the .bin file. For whatever reason...it must be an automated system. I tried contacting them twice, but they wouldn't budge and told me I had to wait. LOL. And it seriously took EXACTLY 7 days and like 12 minutes for the email to arrive.​

4. So after you have the "key" to finally unlock this darn phone, enter fastboot mode again and enter the following commands...
    fastboot flash cust-unlock "%path\to\unlock_code.bin%"
    fastboot oem unlock
    <<-- This step will ERASE everything on your phone. Most people know this, but I have to say it. Internal storage will be wiped too. :good:

Finally, the phone is unlocked. Now we can root it.

*I used various information from different forum postings...and some previous knowledge of course. Again, I don't take credit for any of this. I'm just following instructions. :cowboy:

5. Download the unofficial TWRP .img file for the OnePlus 7T Pro from here. To be honest, I am not even sure if using TWRP for this part is really necessary, but somehow I came to that conclusion. LOL. This process worked for me, so yeah. Anyhow, enter fastboot mode again and boot to TWRP (do NOT flash it!) by entering the following...
    fastboot boot "%path\to\twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img%"
    Now in TWRP, enter the following commands to extract your stock boot.img file...
    adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot of=boot.img
    adb pull /boot.img
    This will copy your boot.img file to wherever adb is running on your computer.

6. Take that boot.img file and copy it over to your internal SD on your phone. Boot your phone up as normal, and go grab Magisk Manager from Git here. Open up Magisk Manager, expand the "Advanced Settings" option, and check the "Preserve force encryption" and "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity". Select the "Install" button from the regular Magisk option and choose "Select and Patch a File ". Find your boot.img file and Magisk Manager will created a patched .img file. Copy this new .img file from your phone over to your PC.

7. Enter fastboot mode again. Now just boot from this newly patched .img file by entering the following...
    fastboot boot "%path\to\magisk_patched.img%"

8. Final step. And hopefully your phone boots up.
    *If not, and you're stuck in a boot loop...you might need to make the A or B partition active. To do this, while back in fastboot mode, enter either command (most likely B)...
    fastboot --set-active=a
    fastboot --set-active=b
    Again, hopefully the phone just booted up normally without having to do that. Now in your phone, open up Magisk Manager again and simply choose the same Install option, but instead select "Direct Install". Magisk will now flash that .img file, ultimately granting permanent root privileges.
    Reboot and enjoy!! :D

***Here is a good write up on adb and how to get it running on your PC....https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/***
    stock and magisk patched 5G McLaren boot images

OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren
    2 boot images (zipped with ZArchiver app), one is stock and the other patched with latest available Magisk.

4.14.117-perf+
    #1 Wed Dec 4 20:44:37 CST 2019

Android security patch level
    November 1, 2019

As mentioned, booting the unzipped Magisk patched boot image requires an unlocked bootloader.
    Well, finally our lovely TMobile Oneplus 7T Pro 5g McLaren (HD1925) received an android 12 firmware update (HD1925_11_F.04) even though most already on android 13.

Attached please find the stock and magisk patched boot image for HD1925_11_F.04
    Very curious, how did you pull the stock boot image from 11.0.1.2 without twrp working on OOS 11? Is there another way? If so, please share. Thank you so much!!
    I did:
    fastboot getvar all [to see what boot slot I needed to pull; this specific phone was was on b]
    fastboot boot twrp-3-5-1_10-hotdog.img
    adb pull /dev/block/by-name/boot_b boot.img
    [someone else might need boot_a if on slot a]
    So, I fastboot booted this TWRP and pulled boot image via ADB: https://github.com/Systemad/android_device_oneplus_hotdog/releases/tag/a11