• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

(GUIDE) Root Onn 8 Gen 2 100011885

Search This thread

LaikaXv1

Jan 25, 2020
Since there's a new generation of the Onn 8 tablets, and there currently isn't a rooting guide for them,
I figured I'd write one since I finally got mine to boot with magisk.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES. CONSIDER BACKING YOUR DEVICE UP BEFORE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS LISTED IN THIS POST.

I won't bore you with useless details, let's just get into how to root this thing.

TOOLS:

You're going to need your vbmeta.img file to flash. You can use the one I have attached below, or supply your own from your own device dumps. Either way, you're gonna need that.

You will also need EITHER, the stock boot.img file for your tab (mine is also attached), or a magisk patched boot.img file, which I'll show you how to create if you don't already have one.

You will also need ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC for your platform, as well.
A guide on how to obtain that is available here if you don't already have it.

CREATING PATCHED MAGISK BOOT.IMG:

On your device, install the magisk manager apk.
inside the app, click on Install magisk, and supply the app with your boot.img file.

It should then open a terminal and patch the boot file, and output it to your download folder.
Now you've got a rooted boot.img file for your device. Alternatively, you can use the one I've supplied at the bottom of this post.

FLASHING ROOT ON YOUR DEVICE:

Here's the part where things get interesting.

Copy the patched boot.img to your pc from your tablet, and save it somewhere you'll remember. (preferably the same place you saved your vbmeta.img file.)

You'll need to shut down your device, then power it into fastboot mode by holding Vol+ and Power at the same time. This should bring up a menu with three options: Recovery, Fastboot, And Normal.
You'll want to use Vol+ to scroll to fastboot, then press Vol- to select and boot into fastboot.

Connect your device to your pc and open your ADB and fastboot program.
In the command prompt, type "fastboot devices".
This should spit out the serial number of your device followed by the word "fastboot".
If there is no device present, make sure you have android USB drivers installed properly.

Given that your device is connected properly, type the following commands. (without the quotes.)

"fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --skip-reboot boot /path/to/your/magisk_boot.img"
then
"fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta /path/to/your/vbmeta.img"

If all goes well and you get no errors, you should be safe to reboot, and you should have root now!
Once booted, open Magisk, and you should see that V22 is installed and running. You can now install edxposed via the magisk module manager if you'd like xposed installed, since TWRP currently isnt available for this model and lots of android 10 devices don't support it.

NOTE: SAFETYNET CHECK DOES NOT PASS, WE'LL NEED TO LOOK INTO THAT.

Attachments

• magisk_patched_AicDg.img
    32 MB · Views: 236
  • Magisk-v22.0.apk
    7.2 MB · Views: 177
  • vbmeta.img
    11.3 MB · Views: 279

LaikaXv1

Jan 25, 2020
Here's a couple pics just showing I actually DID do this, and I'm not just ****posting or something

Attachments

• PXL_20210316_144432578-min.jpg
    PXL_20210316_144432578-min.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 217
  • PXL_20210316_145700802-min.jpg
    PXL_20210316_145700802-min.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 214

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Since there's a new generation of the Onn 8 tablets, and there currently isn't a rooting guide for them,
I figured I'd write one since I finally got mine to boot with magisk.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES. CONSIDER BACKING YOUR DEVICE UP BEFORE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS LISTED IN THIS POST.

I won't bore you with useless details, let's just get into how to root this thing.

TOOLS:

You're going to need your vbmeta.img file to flash. You can use the one I have attached below, or supply your own from your own device dumps. Either way, you're gonna need that.

You will also need EITHER, the stock boot.img file for your tab (mine is also attached), or a magisk patched boot.img file, which I'll show you how to create if you don't already have one.

You will also need ADB and Fastboot installed on your PC for your platform, as well.
A guide on how to obtain that is available here if you don't already have it.

CREATING PATCHED MAGISK BOOT.IMG:

On your device, install the magisk manager apk.
inside the app, click on Install magisk, and supply the app with your boot.img file.

It should then open a terminal and patch the boot file, and output it to your download folder.
Now you've got a rooted boot.img file for your device. Alternatively, you can use the one I've supplied at the bottom of this post.

FLASHING ROOT ON YOUR DEVICE:

Here's the part where things get interesting.

Copy the patched boot.img to your pc from your tablet, and save it somewhere you'll remember. (preferably the same place you saved your vbmeta.img file.)

You'll need to shut down your device, then power it into fastboot mode by holding Vol+ and Power at the same time. This should bring up a menu with three options: Recovery, Fastboot, And Normal.
You'll want to use Vol+ to scroll to fastboot, then press Vol- to select and boot into fastboot.

Connect your device to your pc and open your ADB and fastboot program.
In the command prompt, type "fastboot devices".
This should spit out the serial number of your device followed by the word "fastboot".
If there is no device present, make sure you have android USB drivers installed properly.

Given that your device is connected properly, type the following commands. (without the quotes.)

"fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --skip-reboot boot /path/to/your/magisk_boot.img"
then
"fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta /path/to/your/vbmeta.img"

If all goes well and you get no errors, you should be safe to reboot, and you should have root now!
Once booted, open Magisk, and you should see that V22 is installed and running. You can now install edxposed via the magisk module manager if you'd like xposed installed, since TWRP currently isnt available for this model and lots of android 10 devices don't support it.

I'm glad to see that there is finally a root solution for this device. I have 2 Onn 8 first gen, Android 9 tablets and I use the Magisk module: Universal SafetyNet Fix to
pass.

Let us all know if this works. I work in a Walmart electronics department and have not bought one of the 2nd gen devices because I had assumed that it could not be rooted. I am temped just for a new challenge, even though I really don't need a new device.

Have you been able to create a backup of the stock rom? Is it flashed with spflashtool like the older device?

Thanks

LaikaXv1

Jan 25, 2020
I'll get the ROM backup uploaded to Google drive once I'm done updating windows.. it's taking forever, but I do have the dumps. Yes, spflashtool is what you'll need to flash the stock backup.

As for the magisk module, that seems to do the trick! Magist safetynet check reports a success for both basicIntegrity and ctsProfile.
Thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• PXL_20210324_014754810.jpg
    PXL_20210324_014754810.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48

LaikaXv1

Jan 25, 2020
I'll get the ROM backup uploaded to Google drive once I'm done updating windows.. it's taking forever, but I do have the dumps. Yes, spflashtool is what you'll need to flash the stock backup.

As for the magisk module, that seems to do the trick! Magist safetynet check reports a success for both basicIntegrity and ctsProfile.
Thanks for the tip!
Ah, I didn't hit reply. Oops!
I'm not new to XDA persay, but I'm not usually the one making guides and actually saying things haha.

Boox17

Sep 30, 2020
Doesn't seem to work for me
Keeps failing says
(remote: not allowed in locked state)

inzane105

Jun 1, 2021
I have a 100011886 that I got used and has FRP lock, will this process work on it as well? Only rooted Fire tablets before, so this would be new to me and if I brick it not much will be lost. But any insight as to what I will need that isn't included in your post would be great! It seems pretty thorough though.

Edit: I've tried it, and I have done pretty much everything thanks to being able to get to the browser with one of those language keyboard tricks, but I can't enable dev mode and turn on OEM unlock so I can't unlock the bootloader. Really want to know what to do so I don't have a paper weight :( At least it was only $30

Last edited:

bowb

Nov 19, 2010
Idaho Falls
I'm stuck in a boot loop. Does this work with a 100011885 that has Android 11 or did I just brick it cause I didn't pay attention.

bowb

Nov 19, 2010
Idaho Falls
I think I have extracted the boot.img using spflashtool on the 100011885 with Android 11. abootimg seems to like it and I can extract the kernel and initrd.img I have tried booting with fastboot boot but it blackscreens the tablet. I have not tried re-flashing this image as I don't know if it will actually work.

start location and size

0x00000000085c0000
0x0000000002000000

boot.img

and another boot image found at
A5C0000

boot2.img

Last edited:

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
I think I have extracted the boot.img using spflashtool on the 100011885 with Android 11. abootimg seems to like it and I can extract the kernel and initrd.img I have tried booting with fastboot boot but it blackscreens the tablet. I have not tried re-flashing this image as I don't know if it will actually work.

start location and size

0x00000000085c0000
0x0000000002000000

boot.img

and another boot image found at
A5C0000

boot2.img

Did you get this working?

evilteddy77

Nov 6, 2021

Thanks for the tip!
did you happen to upload this image yet? if so, got a link?

pj_dev

Dec 29, 2021
I followed this guide for a ONN 100003561 (didn't look closely at the numbers) and this is what I get when trying to flash the vbmeta:

Rewriting vbmeta struct at offset: 0
Sending 'vbmeta' (11520 KB) OKAY [ 0.287s]
Writing 'vbmeta' FAILED (remote: 'size too large')

I tried using a different vbmeta and when I restarted my tablet and got blank black screen. Tried twrp and now I can't get anything to work. Never tried rooting an Android device before, just trying to get all the annoying stuff off and now it looks like I bricked it.

Any advice from anyone?

jryx

Mar 19, 2015
I followed this guide for a ONN 100003561 (didn't look closely at the numbers) and this is what I get when trying to flash the vbmeta:

Rewriting vbmeta struct at offset: 0
Sending 'vbmeta' (11520 KB) OKAY [ 0.287s]
Writing 'vbmeta' FAILED (remote: 'size too large')

I tried using a different vbmeta and when I restarted my tablet and got blank black screen. Tried twrp and now I can't get anything to work. Never tried rooting an Android device before, just trying to get all the annoying stuff off and now it looks like I bricked it.

Any advice from anyone?
Unfortunately, the numbers are important. Are you able to get to fastbootd? If you can get to fastbootd, I would recommend trying to change to boot slot. Newer androids actually have two boot partitions for updating purposes. You can check which boot partition you're using with `fastboot getvar current-slot` which should return "a" or "b". Then do `fastboot set-active x` and replace x with whichever slot is NOT active as determined by the previous command. If the other boot slot is still intact, this would hopefully result in a bootable device. I haven't tried this myself, but this is what I would try if I were in your situation.

If this doesn't work, I would try flashing stock with sp flash tool, which doesn't need fastboot if you can't access that. It's a leaked mediatek tool, so there isn't an official site to get it from unfortunately. I got it from here: https://androidmtk.com/smart-phone-flash-tool but use your discretion. And get v5, because that's what most of the guides use. Then you can try flashing the 3561 stock firmware here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/stock-stock-backups-images-otas.3998227/post-82619259

If you can get it to boot at this point and want to de-walmart it, I would recommend just flashing a GSI rather than messing around with the stock rom. You can find the GSI's here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list