Search This thread

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Can you build lollipop for this device I think it would run much better
Downgrading the firmware isn't a conventional procedure, especially from Android 9 Pie to Android 5.x.x. The Android 9 Pie (Go Edition) stock OS has been compiled specifically for devices -- such as the Onn Surf 7 -- with limited hardware capabilities and low RAM. Nonetheless, I fully agree that the stock OS leaves much to be desired. With root access, some moderate debloating, and a few kernel tweaks, the Android 9 Go Edition OS can be improved upon in terms of responsiveness and overall performance. This Surf 7 is also Project Treble supported, allowing for simplified installation of custom GSI ROMs.
In theory, the OS could be downgraded without too much difficulty. However, the real issue would be downgrading the corresponding firmware such as the kernel, bootloader stack, hardware blobs, etc. Since Onn has not released kernel source code for this tablet, such a task would be daunting to say the least, and certainly unorthodox in application.

Last edited:

Dismal.

May 23, 2022
HTC Dragon
HTC Droid Incredible
Downgrading the firmware isn't a conventional procedure, especially from Android 9 Pie to Android 5.x.x. The Android 9 Pie (Go Edition) stock OS has been compiled specifically for devices -- such as the Onn Surf 7 -- with limited hardware capabilities and low RAM. Nonetheless, I fully agree that the stock OS leaves much to be desired. With root access, some moderate debloating, and a few kernel tweaks, the Android 9 Go Edition OS can be improved upon in terms of responsiveness and overall performance. This Surf 7 is also Project Treble supported, allowing for simplified installation of custom GSI ROMs.
In theory, the OS could be downgraded without too much difficulty. However, the real issue would be downgrading the corresponding firmware such as the kernel, bootloader stack, hardware blobs, etc. Since Onn has not released kernel source code for this tablet, such a task would be daunting to say the least, and certainly unorthodox in application.
What other tweaks could be done I already removed all of the Walmart apps

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
What other tweaks could be done I already removed all of the Walmart apps
Set the default CPU governor to Performance. It'll cost you a bit in terms of battery power, but its worth the boost. Next set your I/O Scheduler for internal storage to a 512 Kb readahead on the Kyber preset. Set external storage I/O Scheduler to 1024Kb readahead, also on the Kyber preset. Set your Low Memory Killer preset to Very Aggressive. This will optimize your RAM efficiency. Under the Virtual Memory parameters, enable Laptop Mode (boosts performance by optimizing the writeback of file system bits cached in RAM). Ensure Swappiness is set to 100%, and that the Overcommit Ratio is set to 50%. Finally, in Entropy, set read to 64 and write to 128. On all of the referenced parameters, ensure that Apply On Boot is enabled for each heading.
You can use virtually any kernel tweaking app to change these settings. I use Kernel Adiutor-Mod (available here on XDA). Although outdated and deprecated, it will suffice for these changes.
There are also a few tweaks you can make to the CPU governor tunables. But unless you are fairly well versed in the workings of the Android kernel, you probably shouldn't alter those. It is possible to brick your device if you have a mishap. It can be recovered by firmware restoration, but it's nevertheless a pain in the ass to end up bricked. There are also a few build.prop edits you can make to boost performance. As long as you back up your stock /system/build.prop beforehand, these edits are fairly safe. I'll get you a list if you're interested.
Kernel Adiutor-Mod Thread

Last edited:

Dismal.

May 23, 2022
HTC Dragon
HTC Droid Incredible
Set the default CPU governor to Performance. It'll cost you a bit in terms of battery power, but its worth the boost. Next set your I/O Scheduler for internal storage to a 512 Kb readahead on the Kyber preset. Set external storage I/O Scheduler to 1024Kb readahead, also on the Kyber preset. Set your Low Memory Killer preset to Very Aggressive. This will optimize your RAM efficiency. Under the Virtual Memory parameters, enable Laptop Mode (boosts performance by optimizing the writeback of file system bits cached in RAM). Ensure Swappiness is set to 100%, and that the Overcommit Ratio is set to 50%. Finally, in Entropy, set read to 64 and write to 128. On all of the referenced parameters, ensure that Apply On Boot is enabled for each heading.
You can use virtually any kernel tweaking app to change these settings. I use Kernel Adiutor-Mod (available here on XDA). Although outdated and deprecated, it will suffice for these changes.
There are also a few tweaks you can make to the CPU governor tunables. But unless you are fairly well versed in the workings of the Android kernel, you probably shouldn't alter those. It is possible to brick your device if you have a mishap. It can be recovered by firmware restoration, but it's nevertheless a pain in the ass to end up bricked. There are also a few build.prop edits you can make to boost performance. As long as you back up your stock /system/build.prop beforehand, these edits are fairly safe. I'll get you a list if you're interested.
Kernel Adiutor-Mod Thread
Id says I'm intermediate with Linux at best but when it comes to fiddling with grub and the kernel that isnt my strong hand

Viva La Android R.I.P.

Recognized Contributor
Jul 31, 2019
Northeastern Tennessee
LG G Pad 8.3
Moto G
Id says I'm intermediate with Linux at best but when it comes to fiddling with grub and the kernel that isnt my strong hand
Well, if you know the fundamentals of Linux, you should be fine. It's more about paying close attention to detail than anything. Simply back up your current boot.img before you tweak anything. Then, if you get caught in a boot loop, simply initiate fastboot mode and restore the backup boot.img. Have you done any of the tweaks I listed yet?

Top Liked Posts