[Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 13

Search This thread

CyaBB

Jan 18, 2021
Cause of the problems with my banking apps i want to return to "normal" phone. I installed some plugins, installed magisk manager, magisk, rooted and unlocked bootloader. Are there any uninstall guides to return to Normal? I know how to unroot and lock bootloader. Also pixel 3 is still stock. Is it possible without reset all?

Cause of the problems with my banking apps i want to return to "normal" phone. I installed some plugins, installed magisk manager, magisk, rooted and unlocked bootloader. Are there any uninstall guides to return to Normal? I know how to unroot and lock bootloader. Also pixel 3 is still stock. Is it possible without reset all?
Just flash the latest stock firmware. If you want to keep your data then remove the -w from the flash-all.bat file.
Right click the fole and click edit. Scroll to the bottom where you are the -w and delete it. Then save it.

Reactions: CyaBB

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Did you try this module to fix the banking app problem?
MAGISK MODULE Universal SafetyNet Fix 1.1.0

Last edited:
Reactions: CyaBB

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yes i did, actually it fixed the SafetyNet Problem, but i still can't use my Tan2Go-App.

Edit: Ah **** this ****, bootloader locking removed all data.
<edit>:oops: Guess my response was a little late.

Just know that locking the bootloader will remove all your data.

Are there any uninstall guides to return to Normal?
I think so try posting your question in Google search or whatever search engine you use.

Also pixel 3 is still stock. Is it possible without reset all?
The results of the first question search should provide the answer to this question.

I alway do a reset prior to locking the bootloader and disabling the OEM unlocking.
- Factory reset
- flash the latest factory image without removing the -w.

Why?
I do not want some residual root file bricking my phone.

zalazdev

Jul 11, 2015
Santo Domingo
Hello there!
If it is possible, I would happy yo be helped with this ''existencial'' question about how to update without losing any information:

- I have the December 2020's factory image on my Pixel 3 XL.
- Rooted with Magisk's Beta Version and Kirisakura_R 3.0.2 as a kernel.

So, what I have to do in order to update to the January 2021's OTA?
What have to be deleted/uninstall/restored BEFORE doing a OTA's update?

Sorry if I'm being a bother, I just want to be sure, and until this very moment, this guide and the other ones have been so relievable, and I am glad of it.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hello there!
If it is possible, I would happy yo be helped with this ''existencial'' question about how to update without losing any information:

- I have the December 2020's factory image on my Pixel 3 XL.
- Rooted with Magisk's Beta Version and Kirisakura_R 3.0.2 as a kernel.

So, what I have to do in order to update to the January 2021's OTA?
What have to be deleted/uninstall/restored BEFORE doing a OTA's update?

Sorry if I'm being a bother, I just want to be sure, and until this very moment, this guide and the other ones have been so relievable, and I am glad of it.
If you hid Magisk, unhide it
- Uninstall magisk --> restore images
Note: If you do not uninstall Magisk and you have modules installed that do not work with the January OTA firmware you will boot loop.
- Take the OTA
- Download the January Factory image and do #7 to reroot.
- flash the kernel with Ex Kernel Manager.

Reactions: zalazdev

zalazdev

Jul 11, 2015
Santo Domingo
If you hid Magisk, unhide it
- Uninstall magisk --> restore images
Note: If you do not uninstall Magisk and you have modules installed that do not work with the January OTA firmware you will boot loop.
- Take the OTA
- Download the January Factory image and do #7 to reroot.
- flash the kernel with Ex Kernel Manager.

Okay, so, if I use the ''factory Image''... won't it be deleted all my data?

jamestx10

May 27, 2008
Dallas
Am I correct in saying that the only way to use systemless hosts for AdAway is by running a custom kernel?
Android 11 - Feb update
magisk stable

newkydawg

Am I correct in saying that the only way to use systemless hosts for AdAway is by running a custom kernel?
Android 11 - Feb update
magisk stable
Well, for some of us, yes. Not everyone has issues with SH on stock kernel but several of us did. Using the Kirisakura kernel definitely helped me. I would try it on stock kernel and see. Freak07 reversed some commits that Google had in the stock kernel and that seems to help. Not sure if Flar2 (elementalx) did this or not.

deusfaux

Dec 12, 2010
It would be super helpful if OTA update instructions were included in the OP. Like what to do/undo to be able to take one.

If I'm using a custom kernel, what do I have to do to be able to accept an OTA update? Uninstalling Magisk properly is enough?

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
It would be super helpful if OTA update instructions were included in the OP. Like what to do/undo to be able to take one.

If I'm using a custom kernel, what do I have to do to be able to accept an OTA update? Uninstalling Magisk properly is enough?
- Open Magisk Manager Uninstall Magisk (Restore images)
- Download current factory image.
- Do #6 - Extract dtbo.img
- flash dtbo.img
fastboot flash dtbo --slot all dtbo.img
- Reboot
- Take OTA

mntnbkr

Jan 6, 2008
For me, yes, but it usually took 4-5 reboots to act normally. For the first couple of reboots, the screen would immediately lock up. Got so annoying I removed SH in December. I have not tried it on the Jan or Feb updates.
Been battling the same issue on my 3XL since mid January, when I finally took the Android 11 update. Having systemless hosts or the Universal Safetynet Fix enabled in Magisk would cause lockup and require hard reboot (holding power button for 10+ seconds to force reboot). Today, I've finally solved it.
My steps:
Install February update (keeping data, never wiped coming from Android 10)
Patch boot.image using magisk manager and install patched img (turned off SH and USF modules to avoid lockup)
Install ElementalX (EX) Kernel Manager from play store ($4.99)
Use EX Kernel Manager to install the ElementalX kernel (reboot)
Turn on the SH and USF modules in Magisk (reboot)
Check safetynet (Passed) and wait for lockup... didn't occur
Enable Adaway
Delete data in Google Play services, Google Pay, and Google Play apps (reboot)
Play store Play Protect Certification for "Device is certified" (it was/is)
Add card to google pay
Check google pay functionality (it works!!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 13 Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install/Flash Custom ROMs

Introduction
    This Guide is for Pixel 3 XL owners that want to Install a Custom ROM (See Update(s)), and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.​

~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

• I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
    2. Prerequisites

• A Pixel 3 XL phone with an unlocked bootloader.1
      • A Computer with a working version of Platform-tools installed:
        Platform-tools 33.0.3
        Platform-tools 34.0.4 - Is Ok for sideloading OTA images.
      • Important Notes:
        a. Before installing SDK Platform-tools, check for older versions of fastboot on your computer: Open a Command prompt and type fastboot --version at the prompt. If a adb/fastboot is found delete the folder containing them. Also, check the path environment for paths to them and remove it.​

b. Update Platform Tools, regularly, for optimal performance.​

3. NEW

• Waiting . . .
    4. Update(s)

5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions.)

1. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. Notes:
          • This will erase all user data from the device!
          • Backup your data
        2. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        6. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        7. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        8. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
        9. Notes:
          • After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          • Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Use the Android flash tool:
          select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
      • Lock Bootloader

1. If your phone is not 100 percent stock do Return Phone to Stock. If you don't you may brick your phone.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt in the SDK Platform- tools folder, and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    2. Pass Safety Net with Magisk module - Play Integrity Fork

1. Download File(s)
      2. Install osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork
        • Open Magisk
        • Tap Modules icon
        • Tap Install from storage
        • Navigate to the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file you downloaded.
        • Tap the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file.
        • When you see the confirmation screen, tap Ok.
        • After it installs tap the Disc icon to save the log
        • Tap Reboot
      3. Settings for Magisk Canary
        • Open Magisk App
        • Tap the Setup icon.
        • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
        • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
        • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk.
        • Enable Denylist
        • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, Google Wallet etc.
        • (Optional) Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
      4. Get Device Certified
        • Flash the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork module in Magisk
        • Turn Airplane mode on
        • Open Settings
        • Tap Apps & notifications
        • Tap see all...
        • Tap three dot menu
        • Tap Show system
        • Scroll to Google Wallet/Play Store/Play Services
        • Clear Google Wallet cache (if you have it)
        • Clear Google Play Store cache and data
        • Clear Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms) cache and data (Optionally skip clearing data and wait some time, ~24h, for it to resolve on its own)
        • Turn Airplane mode Off
        • Reboot
      5. Check Device Certification
        • Note: If after completeting Get Device Certified your device is not certifed or your device is certified but certain apps (Google Pay, NetFliks, etc.) are not working. Do this to verify you are passing Play Integrity.
          1. Open Google Play Store app
          2. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
          3. Tap Settings.
          4. Open the About menu
          5. Tap the row labeled Play Store version seven times to unlock developer mode.
          6. Tap the back arrow (upper left corner)
          7. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
          8. Tap Settings.
          9. Open the General menu
          10. Tap Developer options
          11. Tap Check integrity
          12. If you see Basic Integrity and Device Integrity, you're passing Play integrity.
    3. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap Settings icon > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta, Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/Download
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done!
    4. Install/Update Magisk Modules

5. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    6. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    7. ADB Sideload

~ ~ ~ Part III - OTHER ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

• Need help with a Custom ROM?

1. If you are trying to install a Custom ROM, read and follow the Installation Instructions in the OP of the Custom ROM thread.
        2. If you have questions, search the thread of the Custom ROM you are trying to install for answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s)[/B]: If you don't find a answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM thread you are trying to install.
        3. Try installing it with 📳🔥 PixelFlasher, a GUI tool for flashing / updating / rooting / managing Pixel phones..
        4. If you are trying to install a Addon(s) {Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.} to the Custom ROM you installed: Search the thread of the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc. you want to install for installation instructions, and answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s) about the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc. If you don't find an answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.) thread.
      • ROMs
    2. Themes, Apps, and Mods
    Hello Pixel Community,

We have provided the monthly Android/Pixel update for December 2020. All supported Pixel devices running Android 11 will receive these software updates as part of the December 2020 update, which begins rolling out to users today. We encourage you to check your Android version and update to receive the latest features.

Overview:

• Software versions:
      • Global:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 3a (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a: RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.011
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.011
      • Verizon:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 4a (5G): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 5: [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
      • AT&T:
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008.A1
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.010
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.010

After, reading several threads and @Lughnasadh post, there are no special requirements to root Android 12 for the Pixel 4 XL or the Pixel 3 XL.​

So, that means the instructions in the OP, Index, #7 are sufficient for rooting the Pixel 4XL and Pixel 3 XL phones.

Thanks, Lughnasadh! :)
    :) I hope you all have a Joyful Holiday season with your family and loves ones. :)

~ ~ ~ Stay safe ~ ~ ~
    Did anyone tried using the patched.img provided by a user on the first page?, I don't want to waste data by downloading stock boot.img

Hi,

Don't use it, it is an old one. You want the stock January boot.img? There are two factory images this month: international / Verizon.

Cheers...

Sébastien.