[Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 12

Search This thread

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Silly question: After fighting my way through post #1, I got Magisk installed with safetynet, etc. My LG ThinQ app now runs after checking it off in the DenyList. When I do the next Lineage rom update via OTA, will my root 'stay' or do I have to do more steps? Thanks, Dylan
I do not know if you will lose root if you update via the ota, I usually update this way:

Update lineage 19-1 ROM with lineage 19-1 Recovery (see Index Custom ROMS).
  1. Download the latest latest lineage 19-1 nightly ROM, lineage 19-1 Recovery, GApps (pico/nano) and Magisk and place
    them in the platform-tools folder on your computer.
  2. Install lineage 19-1 Recovery:
    • Boot bootloader
    • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder on your computer.
    • At the prompt type: fastboot flash boot lineage-19.1-99999999-recovery-crosshatch.img
    • After, it installs use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode
    • Press power button to boot the lineage recovery.
  3. Sideload the lineage 19-1 ROM:
    • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
    • On the host machine (computer), sideload the package: adb sideload lineage-19.1-99999999-nightly-crosshatch-signed.zip
  4. Reboot Recovery:
    • Tap the back arrow => Tap Advanced => Tap Reboot Recovery (don't reboot the phone before installing GApps or you may have to Factory Reset).Rebooting to Recovery switches to the makes other slot.
  5. Sideload Gapps:
    • On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
    • On the host machine (computer), sideload the package:
      adb sideload MindTheGapps-12.0.0-arm64-99999999_999999.zip
      Note: If prompted that signature doesn't match, on the phone, select 'Yes' to continue.
  6. Sideload Magisk:
    • On the host machine (computer), sideload the package:
      adb sideload app-debug-canary_23016.zip
      Note: If prompted that signature doesn't match, on the phone, select 'Yes' to continue.
  7. Reboot System
  8. You should have the new version of LOS 19-1 with gapps and Magisk.

Last edited:

trlkly

Aug 3, 2016
So what's the conclusion with systemless hosts? Do you need a customer kernel in Android 12 (October update) to get it to work? If so, what would be the best way to get that and install it?

@icanrule @deusfaux

trlkly

Aug 3, 2016
In order to get fastboot to communicate with my PC, I had to do something I don't see mentioned here: install Google's ADB drivers for my Pixel 3XL. Without that, Windows would not recognize my phone was connected when I was in fastboot mode.

I apologize if I missed this instruction.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
In order to get fastboot to communicate with my PC, I had to do something I don't see mentioned here: install Google's ADB drivers for my Pixel 3XL. Without that, Windows would not recognize my phone was connected when I was in fastboot mode.

I apologize if I missed this instruction.
OP, Prerequisites 2: SDK Platform-tools

Reactions: Slim2none4u

trlkly

Aug 3, 2016

OP, Prerequisites 2: SDK Platform-tools
I already have that. I downloaded that from the link you provided. But that did not include the USB drivers. That's just the programs, like fastboot.exe, adb.exe, etc. I'm talking about the drivers I had to install using Device Manager, from the link I provided.

Before I installed those, Windows wouldn't even detect my phone if I had it in fastboot mode, and fastboot devices showed no devices. After installing the driver, Windows showed an icon to say I had connected my phone, and fastboot devices showed my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homeboy76

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
I already have that. I downloaded that from the link you provided. But that did not include the USB drivers. That's just the programs, like fastboot.exe, adb.exe, etc. I'm talking about the drivers I had to install using Device Manager, from the link I provided.

Before I installed those, Windows wouldn't even detect my phone if I had it in fastboot mode, and fastboot devices showed no devices. After installing the driver, Windows showed an icon to say I had connected my phone, and fastboot devices showed my phone.
You're right, when I saw "install Google's ADB drivers for my Pixel 3XL..." and not Google USB drivers (In your original post.). :( I stopped reading and reacted, my apologies.

Last edited:

contevo

Feb 12, 2017
New York, New York
Hello, I'm a bit confused with getting root on my pixel 3 xl I read op but steps bit confusing. I wanna flash this kernel on to the stock rom,
kernel: Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0
stock rom build number : SP1A.210812.016.A2
Which recovery do I use to sideload Magisk ? I read all 15 pages some people say not to use TWRP. I downloaded Magisk from their telegram: 558710bb-alpha-2.zip.
I know gotta patch boot.img with Magisk to get root, according to the kernel dev description the safetynet bypass already build in. Do I flash kernel with Magisk app manager after sideloading it or specific kernel manager? this step I need clearity because instruction bit all over the places.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Hello, I'm a bit confused with getting root on my pixel 3 xl I read op but steps bit confusing. I wanna flash this kernel on to the stock rom,
kernel: Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0
stock rom build number : SP1A.210812.016.A2
Which recovery do I use to sideload Magisk ? I read all 15 pages some people say not to use TWRP. I downloaded Magisk from their telegram: 558710bb-alpha-2.zip.
I know gotta patch boot.img with Magisk to get root, according to the kernel dev description the safetynet bypass already build in. Do I flash kernel with Magisk app manager after sideloading it or specific kernel manager? this step I need clearity because instruction bit all over the places.
You want to install this outdated Google Factory Image 12.0.0 (SP1A.210812.016.A2, Oct 2021); Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0 kernel (October 21, 2021).

It seems, to me, you want to install this particular kernel to pass SafetyNet: "according to the kernel dev description the safetynet bypass already build in"

The instruction in the OP, 6. tell you how to Patch the boot.img and pass SafetyNet.

Further, you want to use Magisk alpha (558710bb-alpha-2.zip) to patch the boot.img you are going flash to get root: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched...img, but you want to sideload Magisk alpha.

This version of Magisk is for "mavericks only" (extremely knowledgable of Magisk) it is not noobs (inexperienced with Magisk).

Suggestions
  1. Take a look at the OP: Updates, 9. and install a Custom ROM with updated Security Patches on your Pixel 3 XL.
  2. If you reject 1. above: Go to the OP Updates, 8. tap the Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0 kernel link and post your entire post on that thread.

:)

Last edited:

contevo

Feb 12, 2017
New York, New York
You want to install this outdated Google Factory Image 12.0.0 (SP1A.210812.016.A2, Oct 2021); Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0 kernel (October21, 2021).

It seems, to me, you want to install this particular kernel to pass SafetyNet: "according to the kernel dev description the safetynet bypass already build in"

The instruction in the OP, 6. tell you how to Patch the boot.img and pass SafetyNet.

Further, you want to use Magisk alpha (558710bb-alpha-2.zip) to patch the boot.img you are going flash to get root: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched...img, but you want to sideload Magisk alpha.

This version of Magisk is for "mavericks only" (extremely knowledgable of Magisk) it is not noobs (inexperienced with Magisk).

Suggestions
  1. Take a look at the OP: Updates, 9. and install a Custom ROM with updated Security Patches on your Pixel 3 XL.
  2. If you reject 1. above: Go to the OP Updates, 8. tap the Kirisakura_Bluecross_S_4.0.0 kernel link and post your entire post on that thread.

:)
Thank you for your reply. I'll just wait till LOS19 is more stable and I'll switch and have my fun than

phoenixpb

Dec 18, 2010
I posted a link about the last Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL update in the OP New section.:):):)
Well my Pixel 3 XL is dead after 3 years of great service
Doesn't turn on any more

I have ordered a pixel 6 to be my next device

I will continue to take a look to this thread anyway
if i can help, it always will be a pleasure

Have a nice day

Reactions: faheyd

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Holy heck that was a whole lot more

than the old SuperSU flashing haha! (I was on iOS from 2017 til August and I'm only just now getting around to messing with custom ROMs and root)

That said, thank you for the amazing guide. I flashed PixelDust, installed the alpha branch of Magisk, followed the instructions here, and I appear to be passing SafetyNet seeing how the Chase app works fine and the tool I downloaded (Yet Another Safety Net Attestation Checker) shows it passing basic integrity, CTF, and basic attestation.

Edit: Just got done setting all my apps up. Had to use the Deny List with most of my banking apps. One of them doesn't work even with Magisk hidden and the Deny List. Kind of shocking that Security Service Federal Credit Union has that kind of security considering how outdated their technology is... I even tested Pokemon Go and the McDonalds app since I've seen people complain about those and they work fine but somehow SSFCU is still detecting it. Not a big deal, I can just use a web shortcut to manage that credit card.

Working:

Citi Mobile (I had to download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.accelf.devoptshide&hl=en_US&gl=US to hide the developer options because it was detecting those)
Navy Federal
Discover
Capital One
PNC Mobile
FirstBank Mobile Banking
AOD Mobile
AOD Card Controls
Amex
Affinity Federal Credit Union
U.S. Bank Mobile
Elan Credit Card
DCU Mobile Banking
Alliant Mobile Banking
Service CU Mobile Banking
Ent Mobile Banking
Langley FCU
Wells Fargo Mobile
PenFed

(yes, I know I have way too many finance apps but I can't resist credit card sign up bonuses lol - at least only one of them doesn't work).

Edit2: It actually looks like Chase does detect root. There is a whole convoluted way of fixing it that I'm just not interested in doing so I'm going to go without the app.

Last edited:

LampShade4

Jan 23, 2022
Hello. I am really new to this so please bear with me. My Pixel 3XL recently updated from Android 11 to Android 12 and I lost root. I still have Magisk on it, so I was able to to extract and patch boot.img. However, when I go into Fastboot mode on my phone, it seems that my computer loses the connection. When I use the command fastboot flash boot *******.img, the cmd prompt just says "waiting for any device."

I'm not sure what I am missing or if I need do something drastically different. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Hello. I am really new to this so please bear with me. My Pixel 3XL recently updated from Android 11 to Android 12 and I lost root. I still have Magisk on it, so I was able to to extract and patch boot.img. However, when I go into Fastboot mode on my phone, it seems that my computer loses the connection. When I use the command fastboot flash boot *******.img, the cmd prompt just says "waiting for any device."

I'm not sure what I am missing or if I need do something drastically different. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
@LampShade4
<Edit> Index, 4 was missing from OP
- It has been restored.

Last edited:

LampShade4

Jan 23, 2022
- Did you check if the computer you are using is communicating with your phone before trying to flash the magisk_patched...img?fasboot devices

- Did you enable USB Debugging on your phone?

- Is your SDK platform-tools the latest version (r31.0.3)?

- Did you try changing USB Cords or Computers?
I do have the latest SDK platform-tools. When the phone is on and in the OS, I can plug the phone into the computer and run "adb devices" and see the serial number. If I run "fastboot devices" nothing is returned. This is true before and after flashing.

I just tried with a new USB cable and nothing changed. I'll try running it on a different computer right now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update
    Magisk Canary 24309
    Thank you for the ongoing updates!!
    [Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 12 Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install Stock Images/Systemless Root
    Android Security Bulletin—Feburary 2022
    Pixel Update Bulletin—Feburary 2022

Introduction
    1. This Guide is for Pixel 3 XL owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.
    ~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

1. I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      2. The order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting an item.
    2. Prerequisites

1. A Pixel 3 XL phone with an unlocked bootloader.
      2. The latest Android 12 Factory or OTA Image: "crosshatch" for Pixel 3 XL
        Factory Image

OTA Image
      3. A Computer with the latest SDK Platform-Tools: r33.0.1 installed.
      4. Important Notes:
    3. NEW

4. Update(s)

1. Factory/OTA Images - 07Feb
      2. Magisk Alpha - 71e9c044-alpha 06May
      3. Magisk Beta - 24.3 10Mar
      4. Magisk Canary - app-release_8dfb30fe-24313 24May
      5. Magisk Stable - 24.3 10Mar
      6. TWRP - [RECOVERY] - TeamWin Recovery Project [CROSSHATCH] [OFFICIAL] 24Dec21
      7. SafetyNet - SafetyNetFix v2.1.3 (Riru) v2.2.1 (Zygisk) 22Dec
      8. SDK Platform-tools - r33.0.1 06Apr
      9. Custom Kernels
        Note: If you are using a Custom Kernel, please update using the method in the OP, Index, 4. Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data, • Flash Factory Image Keep Data
        b. Elemental X - check the Elemental X Kernel Manager for updates​
      10. Custom ROMs
    5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

1. bradical711 - Instructions to Pass Safety Net
      2. @sliding_billy - His help editing this thread.
      3. Those I may have, inadvertently, forgotten.

~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTION ~ ~ ~
    1. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    2. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone (#1)
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    3. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. This will erase all user data from the device!
        2. Backup your data
        3. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        4. Boot fastboot mode
        5. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        6. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        7. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        8. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        9. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
          Notes: After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

• Backup your data/Internal storage
        • Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Erase all data (factory reset)
        • Set up phone
      • Lock Bootloader

1. Do not lock the bootloader until you have returned the phone to stock. Failure to do so causes bricked phones.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    4. Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data

• Important Note(s):
        1. When doing a major upgrade i.e., Android 11 to Android 12: I recommend doing a clean install. What is a clean install?
          • Doing a Factory reset prior to installing, major, update.
          • Using flash-all.bat file without removing the -w (#4. Wipe Data).
        2. Always verify you have the latest version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer before installing the Factory Image: Pixel 3XL - crosshatch.
        3. If your phone was rooted, and you want to 'Keep Data'. Do this first open Magisk ==> unhide Magisk App (if you hid it) ==> Disable/Remove all modules ==> then Uninstall Magisk - Restore images prior flashing the Factory image. Why? The changes in the New factory image may cause Magisk modules to fail. This will cause boot loops. Additionally, before Enabling/Installing the modules you Disabled/Removed check with the Dev of the module to ensure it was updated to work with the latest factory image.
        4. If you get an error while flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        5. Backup your data
        6. Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 3XL - crosshatch to your Computer.
        7. Extract the factory Image to a folder.
      • Flash Factory Image Keep Data

• Open the folder you extracted the Factory Image to and Edit the flash-all.bat file with a file editor i.e., Notepad. Remove the -w from this command: fastboot -w update image-crosshatch-aa9a.999999.999.zip
          Note: If you do not remove the -w your data and internal storage will be wiped.
        • After, you have edited the flash-all.bat file. Copy/Move these files to the Platform-tools folder:
          1. bootloader-crosshatch-....img
          2. flash-all.bat
          3. image-crosshatch-....zip
          4. radio-crosshatch-....img
        • On your phone: Boot the bootloader (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        • Connect your phone to the computer.
        • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        • System will reboot when flashing is complete.
        • Do #8 Root/Reroot...
      • Flash Factory Image Wipe Data

• This will wipe your phones Internal Storage.
        • Open the folder you extracted the Factory Image to and Copy/Move these files to the Platform-tools folder:
          1. bootloader-crosshatch-....img
          2. flash-all.bat
          3. image-crosshatch-....zip
          4. radio-crosshatch-....img
        • On your phone: Boot the bootloader (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        • Connect your phone to the computer.
        • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        • The phone will reboot when flashing is complete.
        • Do #8 Root/Reroot...
    5. Take the OTA Update and Maintain Root

• All the credit for this set of instructions goes to @topjohnwu for writing the instructions: Install Magisk to Inactive Slot , use Magisk Beta, Stable 24.3.
      • If you get an error while flashing, try one of these optins
        • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
        • Change the USB cord.
        • Change Computers.
      • If you phone bootloops
        • force Safe Mode by continually pressing volume down button during boot animation.
        • After the system boots into safe mode you can reboot your device to boot up normally (since all modules will be disabled).
        • Thanks @Typhus_ for the instructions to force Safe Mode.
    6. ADB Sideload

• Stock Recovery
      • Custom Recovery - TWRP

• Important notes:
          1. Charge your device.
          2. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
          3. Install the latest version of SDK Platform-tools on your computer.
        • Open a command prompt in the computer's ADB folder: the folder with ADB.exe in it.
        • Put the (flashable zip) file you want to sideload in the computer's ADB folder.Copy the Zip file you want to install on your device to the ADB folder.
        • Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
        • Boot T.W.R.P.
          1. T.W.R.P installed: Boot fastboot mode ==> use volume buttons up/down until you see Recovery mode ==> press power botton.
          2. T.W.R.P. not installed: Boot T.W.R.P: Put twrp.img file in the computer's ADB folder ==> open a command prompt in ADB folder ==> at the prompt type fastboot flash boot "Name of twrp file.img" without the quotation marks.
        • When T.W.R.P boots tap Advanced ==> ADB Sideload.
        • ✓ the wipe Dalvik cache box
        • Swipe to start
        • On your Computer: Enter the following command at the command prompt. adb sideload <filename.Zip> i.e., adb sideload myfile.zip
        • You will see the progress of the sideloaded file.
        • When the file finishes sidloading, reboot your device.
        • Done!
    7. Extract/Flash boot.img

• Extract boot.img

• Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
        • Extract the Factory Image file (crosshatch-pda1a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
        • Open the folder and, extract the Image file (image-crosshatch-aa9a.999999.999.zip).
      • Flash boot.img

1. Note: Flashing this file removes root.
        2. Open the folder you extracted the 'image...zip' file to and copy the boot.img file to your computer's platform-tools folder or to the folder that has fastboot.exe in it.
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer
        5. At the Command Prompt type: fastboot flash boot --slot all boot.img
        6. Reboot
    8. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet.

• Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.

1. Do #6 - Extract boot.img
        2. Install Magisk Canary
          Note: Tap 3 dot menu across from canary => Tap Go to file => Download app-debug.apk
          or
          Magisk 24.1 Beta/Stable App - Under Downloads
        3. Open Magisk Beta/Canary/Stable App
        4. Set the Update Channel Beta/Canary/Stable.
        5. Tap Install (next to Magisk)
        6. Tap, Select and Patch a File
        7. Select the boot.img file you extracted from the latest factory image.
        8. Tap the ✓ (Check Mark)
        9. Tap Let's Go
        10. When you see done, the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and stored in the download folder.
        11. Reboot
        12. Copy/Move the patched boot.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          • Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          • Move it to your computer using adb push
        13. Boot fastboot mode
        14. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        15. Open a Command Prompt in the folder you copied the patched boot.img to.
        16. Type fastboot flash boot "name of patched boot".img without the quote marks at the Prompt and press enter.
        17. Type fastboot reboot at the Prompt and press enter.
        18. Important Notes: If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' boot.img to both slots: fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
          • Boot Safe Mode - Press Power Off button ==> Press Power Off until you see boot Safe Mode ==> Press Ok.
      • Pass Safety Net with SafetyNet Fix 2.2.1

1. Download File(s)
        2. Install SafetyNet Fix 2.2.1
          • Open Magisk
          • Tap Modules icon
          • Tap Install from storage
          • Navigate to the SafetyNetFix file you downloaded
          • Tap the SafetyNetFix file
          • Tap the check mark (✓ at the bottom) to start the installation.
          • After it installs tap the Save icon to save the log
          • Tap Reboot.
        3. Settings for Magisk Canary
          • Open Magisk App
          • Tap the Setup icon.
          • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
          • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
          • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk and Enforce DenyList.
          • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, etc.
          • Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
        4. Get Device Certified Clear Google Play Services, Google Play Store, Google Pay, etc. data
          • Turn Airplane mode on
          • Open Settings
          • Tap Apps & notifications
          • Tap see all...
          • Tap three dot menu
          • Tap Show system
          • Scroll down to Google Play Store
          • Tap Storage and Cache
          • Tap Clear storage
            Note: Repeat the 3 steps above for Google Play Services, Google Pay, etc.
          • reboot
          • Turn Airplane mode off
        5. Check Device Certification
          • Open Google Play Store app
          • Tap Menu - Circle top right
          • Tap Settings
          • Tap About
          • Check Play protect certification.
    9. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap menu icon > Settings > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/MagiskManager/logs/install_log_
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done
    10. Install/Update Magisk Modules

• Download Modules
      • Install Modules

1. Open Magisk
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. Tap Install from storage
        4. Navigate to the folder with the Module you want to install.
        5. Tap the Module to highlite it and tap Select.
        6. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        7. Tap Reboot
      • Update Modules

1. Open Magisk
        2. Tap the Modules icon
        3. You, will see the Modules that have Updates.
        4. Tap the Module you want to update.
        5. Tap install.
        6. After it installs, tap the Disc Icon to save the install log.
        7. Tap Reboot
    ~ ~ ~ Part III - OTHER ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

2. Mods
    3. T.W.R.P. Backup/T.W.R.P Update
    Hello Pixel Community,

We have provided the monthly Android/Pixel update for December 2020. All supported Pixel devices running Android 11 will receive these software updates as part of the December 2020 update, which begins rolling out to users today. We encourage you to check your Android version and update to receive the latest features.

Overview:

• Software versions:
      • Global:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 3a (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a: RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.011
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.011
      • Verizon:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 4a (5G): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 5: [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
      • AT&T:
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008.A1
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.010
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.010

After, reading several threads and @Lughnasadh post, there are no special requirements to root Android 12 for the Pixel 4 XL or the Pixel 3 XL.​

So, that means the instructions in the OP, Index, #7 are sufficient for rooting the Pixel 4XL and Pixel 3 XL phones.

Thanks, Lughnasadh! :)
    :) I hope you all have a Joyful Holiday season with your family and loves ones. :)

~ ~ ~ Stay safe ~ ~ ~
    Did anyone tried using the patched.img provided by a user on the first page?, I don't want to waste data by downloading stock boot.img

Hi,

Don't use it, it is an old one. You want the stock January boot.img? There are two factory images this month: international / Verizon.

Cheers...

Sébastien.