[Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 13

Search This thread

newkydawg

Attempted the update last night, when flashing Magisk Canary Patched boot.img, the touchscreen is non-responsive on boot.

Flashing the stock boot.img and the touchscreen works.

Tried flashing the full image (no -w) and OTA with same result both times. Tried switching between active slots as well, no dice.

Any ideas?

Had the same issues as you last night. Tried it again just a few minutes ago and it worked! This time when I installed and ran Magisk Manager, there was an update. Looks like TopJohnWu updated the canary files 7 hours ago. Magisk Manager is now 298 and the zip is 20425.

Infin8cyn

Aug 3, 2009
I cannot get root/canary/Magisk to work on Android 11.

• I was rooted running stock Android 10.
  • Installed Magisk Manager Canary (Forgot I had 20.4/7.51 Installed)
  • Unpacked boot.img and patched it with Canary.
  • Installed Android 11 by flashing the full (not OTA) (without -w)
  • Android 11 started
  • Rebooted to bootloader
  • Flashsed magisk_patched.img with "--slot all"
  • Android doesn't boot. I get the G logo with the bar below it, and I've left it for 40 minutes.
  • I get to the bootloader with PWR+Vol. DN
  • It says "Boot slot: b" & "No valid slot to boot".
  • If I flash the stock boot.img, it boots.
I can't get magisk/root installed. I'm unsure if that's because of having it installed previously or what it could be.
Since there isn't a recovery that works at the moment, I can't run the uninstaller.

Now just need to wait for GB for android 11 and I'll be very happy ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200910-101027.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-101027.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20200909-211330.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-211330.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 143
I cannot get root/canary/Magisk to work on Android 11.

• I was rooted running stock Android 10.
  • Installed Magisk Manager Canary (Forgot I had 20.4/7.51 Installed)
  • Unpacked boot.img and patched it with Canary.
  • Installed Android 11 by flashing the full (not OTA) (without -w)
  • Android 11 started
  • Rebooted to bootloader
  • Flashsed magisk_patched.img with "--slot all"
  • Android doesn't boot. I get the G logo with the bar below it, and I've left it for 40 minutes.
  • I get to the bootloader with PWR+Vol. DN
  • It says "Boot slot: b" & "No valid slot to boot".
  • If I flash the stock boot.img, it boots.
I can't get magisk/root installed. I'm unsure if that's because of having it installed previously or what it could be.
Since there isn't a recovery that works at the moment, I can't run the uninstaller.

I had the same question and have asked in Tulsadiver's thread. There was a solution offered but I have already started afresh. You can try it here.

I tested this earlier. I do not believe this command does anything:
"adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules"

I don't have the phone on me, but the message was like "Unknown shell magisk"

my opinion is, if you have followed until that point 10, you could already disable or remove the module(s) that causes bootloop manually (by entering magisk manager app) right?

Reclaimer122

Dec 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
Stupid question. So since the OTA method didn't work and I ended up with unrooted 11, then flashed a patched boot.img to get root back, how can I use the OTA update feature in the future? I believe Magisk is now missing a stock boot.img to revert to, correct? This happened back on 10 as well so I was never able to take OTAs and always had to sideload updates.

vlucchetti

Dec 3, 2009
Latrobe, PA
Little mixup when I tried OTA as I got steps out of order. Stupid of me as I had done it correctly in the past when it worked.

Regardless, I did the Magisk install to inactive slot first, then set/sys/sys up, then restore image. rebooted and was still on 10 but unrooted. Pulled out my saved patched-image, installed it and I was back to rooted 10.

Now the system update shows "restart now" as apparently it all downloaded. Guessing I should start the process again doing it the correct way and I believe I should be good and have 11.

Wanted to float the thought out there for feedback from the users. Or I can do the Canary Magisk install and update that way.

jjlane86

Sep 1, 2014
So, funny story but related to my root...I flashed and setup the google account after flashing, only to realize I had extracted android 9 to the platform tools directory. Realized this, then just OTA to 10 and then OTA to 11 and rooted with canary. No issues though. Working great!

So stable does not work on 11?

Correct. Must use canary.

Unfortunately, I updated to 11 and all seemed good but I lost youtube vanced. Tried to reinstall it and it would not install. Tried hard reboot (power and vol-down) and the phone tried booting, went into recovery after some time. Then the phone started bootlooping and would not allow me to get into bootloader (it could get into bootloader and then the phone would either reboot with any button press (vol up/down or power, or after about 3-5 seconds). If I let the phone try to boot, I see the unlocked bootloader warning and then the Google name for a split second, and then the phone reboots. Not sure if they are related or if my battery might be failing.

Went out and got a 1+8 5G (sprint/t-mobile) as a new daily driver (since I need a phone)

Currently I have a new 3xl battery on order and the phone disassembled in my workshop. Hope to revive the phone but it could be that the ram is faulting/failing or the power circuitry has an error (blown cap?). Will find out in 10-15 days.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to disassemble this phone! Very difficult due to the glue/ip67 (68? Not sure).

Guess this message became more a *****-fest. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
B.D.

phoenixpb

Dec 18, 2010
Hi

I have used the OTA method
Uninstalled modules of magisk, unhide magisk, restored imgs, and unistalled magisk -> OK
I have rebooted the phone and installed the OTA -> OK
I have followed the point 9 -> OK

All went smoothly phone is in android 11 and rooted :D:D

Thanks a lot for the post.

jlokos

May 27, 2011
Willamette Valley
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hi

I have used the OTA method
Uninstalled modules of magisk, unhide magisk, restored imgs, and unistalled magisk -> OK
I have rebooted the phone and installed the OTA -> OK
I have followed the point 9 -> OK

All went smoothly phone is in android 11 and rooted :D:D

Thanks a lot for the post.

On my pixel-2-xl, I installed the Canary debug (over the stable magisk manager). It automatically updated and I was able to flash canary build. However, on my wife's 3xl, I tried the same method but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

fixed my boot loop.
Steps missing in OP for patching boot.img in this case since we need canary
Installed Canary but was patching boot.img before setting channel to canary which was causing boot loop
changed channel to canary first, patched boot.img and then flashed magisk_patched.img
Now everything is working fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL Android 13 Unlock/Lock Bootloader + Install/Flash Custom ROMs

Introduction
    This Guide is for Pixel 3 XL owners that want to Install a Custom ROM (See Update(s)), and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.​

~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

• I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
    2. Prerequisites

• A Pixel 3 XL phone with an unlocked bootloader.1
      • A Computer with a working version of Platform-tools installed:
        Platform-tools 33.0.3
        Platform-tools 34.0.4 - Is Ok for sideloading OTA images.
      • Important Notes:
        a. Before installing SDK Platform-tools, check for older versions of fastboot on your computer: Open a Command prompt and type fastboot --version at the prompt. If a adb/fastboot is found delete the folder containing them. Also, check the path environment for paths to them and remove it.​

b. Update Platform Tools, regularly, for optimal performance.​

3. NEW

• Waiting . . .
    4. Update(s)

5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions.)

1. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. Notes:
          • This will erase all user data from the device!
          • Backup your data
        2. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        6. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        7. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        8. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
        9. Notes:
          • After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          • Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Use the Android flash tool:
          select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
      • Lock Bootloader

1. If your phone is not 100 percent stock do Return Phone to Stock. If you don't you may brick your phone.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt in the SDK Platform- tools folder, and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    2. Pass Safety Net with Magisk module - Play Integrity Fork

1. Download File(s)
      2. Install osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork
        • Open Magisk
        • Tap Modules icon
        • Tap Install from storage
        • Navigate to the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file you downloaded.
        • Tap the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file.
        • When you see the confirmation screen, tap Ok.
        • After it installs tap the Disc icon to save the log
        • Tap Reboot
      3. Settings for Magisk Canary
        • Open Magisk App
        • Tap the Setup icon.
        • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
        • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
        • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk.
        • Enable Denylist
        • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, Google Wallet etc.
        • (Optional) Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
      4. Get Device Certified
        • Flash the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork module in Magisk
        • Turn Airplane mode on
        • Open Settings
        • Tap Apps & notifications
        • Tap see all...
        • Tap three dot menu
        • Tap Show system
        • Scroll to Google Wallet/Play Store/Play Services
        • Clear Google Wallet cache (if you have it)
        • Clear Google Play Store cache and data
        • Clear Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms) cache and data (Optionally skip clearing data and wait some time, ~24h, for it to resolve on its own)
        • Turn Airplane mode Off
        • Reboot
      5. Check Device Certification
        • Note: If after completeting Get Device Certified your device is not certifed or your device is certified but certain apps (Google Pay, NetFliks, etc.) are not working. Do this to verify you are passing Play Integrity.
          1. Open Google Play Store app
          2. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
          3. Tap Settings.
          4. Open the About menu
          5. Tap the row labeled Play Store version seven times to unlock developer mode.
          6. Tap the back arrow (upper left corner)
          7. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
          8. Tap Settings.
          9. Open the General menu
          10. Tap Developer options
          11. Tap Check integrity
          12. If you see Basic Integrity and Device Integrity, you're passing Play integrity.
    3. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap Settings icon > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta, Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/Download
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done!
    4. Install/Update Magisk Modules

5. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    6. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    7. ADB Sideload

~ ~ ~ Part III - OTHER ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

• Need help with a Custom ROM?

1. If you are trying to install a Custom ROM, read and follow the Installation Instructions in the OP of the Custom ROM thread.
        2. If you have questions, search the thread of the Custom ROM you are trying to install for answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s)[/B]: If you don't find a answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom ROM thread you are trying to install.
        3. Try installing it with 📳🔥 PixelFlasher, a GUI tool for flashing / updating / rooting / managing Pixel phones..
        4. If you are trying to install a Addon(s) {Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.} to the Custom ROM you installed: Search the thread of the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc. you want to install for installation instructions, and answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s) about the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc. If you don't find an answer(s)/solution(s) to your question(s)/problem(s). Post your question(s)/request(s) for help in the Custom Kernel, Magisk, etc.) thread.
      • ROMs
    2. Themes, Apps, and Mods
    Hello Pixel Community,

We have provided the monthly Android/Pixel update for December 2020. All supported Pixel devices running Android 11 will receive these software updates as part of the December 2020 update, which begins rolling out to users today. We encourage you to check your Android version and update to receive the latest features.

Overview:

• Software versions:
      • Global:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 3a (XL): RQ1A.201205.003
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a: RQ1A.201205.008
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.011
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.011
      • Verizon:
        • Pixel 3 (XL): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 4a (5G): [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
        • Pixel 5: [Update: Rolling out week of 12/14]
      • AT&T:
        • Pixel 4 (XL): RQ1A.201205.008.A1
        • Pixel 4a (5G): RQ1A.201205.010
        • Pixel 5: RQ1A.201205.010

After, reading several threads and @Lughnasadh post, there are no special requirements to root Android 12 for the Pixel 4 XL or the Pixel 3 XL.​

So, that means the instructions in the OP, Index, #7 are sufficient for rooting the Pixel 4XL and Pixel 3 XL phones.

Thanks, Lughnasadh! :)
    :) I hope you all have a Joyful Holiday season with your family and loves ones. :)

~ ~ ~ Stay safe ~ ~ ~
    Did anyone tried using the patched.img provided by a user on the first page?, I don't want to waste data by downloading stock boot.img

Hi,

Don't use it, it is an old one. You want the stock January boot.img? There are two factory images this month: international / Verizon.

Cheers...

Sébastien.