[Guide] [November 6, 2023] Root Pixel 4a (5G) Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + Both Slots Bootable + More

Search This thread

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hello all, Pixel 4a5G on Xfinity Mobile. I was perfectlty rooted on v11 but decided to install the latest v12.0.0 (SP1A.211105.002.A1) Nov 2021 Verizon, Verizon MVNOs>
Tried to root via Magisk only to fail multiple times. I thought I bricked my phone as it was stuck in recovery but got int to boot again. I tried doing it like I did in V11 but have discovered that this no longer works
Installed Magisk
Extracted Boot.img
Patched Boot.img with Magisk and renamed to magisk_patched_boot.img
Extracted vbmeta.img
Placed both files in on PC in my ADB folder
Disabled AVB and DM Verify via fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
Flashed patched boot.img via fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot.img
Rebooted and it is stuck in bootloader

What am I doing worng. Does it have to do anything with the Nov 2021 security updates. At this point I'm thinking about going back to 11.
Thanks in advance
BB
The first time you upgrade to Android 12 you must wipe your phone in addition to disabling verity and permission to root it.

Read the Notes in #4, then do #4 'Wipe data'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Bimr

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
The first time you upgrade to Android 12 you must wipe your phone in addition to disabling verity and permission to root it.

Read the Notes in #4, then do #4 'Wipe data'.
The first time I tried to upgrade I did not wipe the data nor did I disable Magisk. I downloaded the latest build, extrated the boot.img file, patched it with Magisk and re-insertedit the now patched boot.img inside the zip and did a flash-all.bat without wipe (removed -w inside the bat file). That's what started this big Ol' mess. This method worked before but not today, thanks google, LOL!
Regardless I am currently on the latest build. I just did a fresh install via adb flash-all.bat WITH wipe.
Again I never disabled Magisk but that was like 2 or 3 flashes ago.
Should I be good now or do I need to do something more.
Thanks
BB

EDIT: I noticerd in part 4 it says:
change fastboot -w update image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip
to fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
I did NOT change this command
Can I just run fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
Or should I do another flash. If I do another flash should I do wipe again or not?
Thanks

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
The first time I tried to upgrade I did not wipe the data nor did I disable Magisk. I downloaded the latest build, extrated the boot.img file, patched it with Magisk and re-insertedit the now patched boot.img inside the zip and did a flash-all.bat without wipe (removed -w inside the bat file). That's what started this big Ol' mess. This method worked before but not today, thanks google, LOL!
Regardless I am currently on the latest build. I just did a fresh install via adb flash-all.bat WITH wipe.
Again I never disabled Magisk but that was like 2 or 3 flashes ago.
Should I be good now or do I need to do something more.
Thanks
BB

EDIT: I noticerd in part 4 it says:
change fastboot -w update image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip
to fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
I did NOT change this command
Can I just run fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
Or should I do another flash. If I do another flash should I do wipe again or not?
Thanks
You need to change this line in the flash-all.bat file:
fastboot -w update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
to this:
fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip

Wiping the phone is necessary if you want to root your phone.
You do not need to flash the vbmeta.img: fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img

Just flashing the vbmeta.img will not allow you to root your phone.

Last edited:

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
fastboot -w update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
to this:
fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip

You do not need to flash the vbmeta.img: fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img

Just flashing it will not allow you to root your phone.
Thank you.
One more question. After doing the above (fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip)and then install Magisk, when I need to flash the patched boot.img do I do it as normal or do I first need to flash the vbmeta.img:
fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
Thanks Again.
BB

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Thank you.
One more question. After doing the above and install Magisk when I need to flash the patched boot.img do I do it as normal or do I first need to flash the vbmeta.img:
fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
Thanks Again.
BB
Normal:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_...img
fastboot reboot

You do not need to flash the vbmeta.img.

Last edited:

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
[B]fastboot -w update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip[/B]
to this:
[B]fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip[/B]

You do not need to flash the vbmeta.img: [B]fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img[/B]

Just flashing the vbmeta.img will not allow you to root your phone.
One week on 12 with Magisk root and all was fine until yesterday. Phone boots for about 1 1/2 minuets, and freezes. The touchscreen does not respond to input and buttons do not work as well. The phone restart in about a minuet or so. but it's goes straight to the Google bypassing a the bootloader in unlocked,press to pause screen. Restarting the phone in safe mode the phone works fine. I assume it's a rouge app but I don;t know which one. I downloaded and ran a Malwarebytes scan that took forever because of the rebooting and it did find and remove a "threat" however that did not fix things.
I guess I will need to reset the phone.
Considering I have Magisk installed, I need to remove magisk first. Can I then use ADB to push the image or do I need to do a full wipe first before ADB.
Do I need to do this again? fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
BB

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
One week on 12 with Magisk root and all was fine until yesterday. Phone boots for about 1 1/2 minuets, and freezes. The touchscreen does not respond to input and buttons do not work as well. The phone restart in about a minuet or so. but it's goes straight to the Google bypassing a the bootloader in unlocked,press to pause screen. Restarting the phone in safe mode the phone works fine. I assume it's a rouge app but I don;t know which one. I downloaded and ran a Malwarebytes scan that took forever because of the rebooting and it did find and remove a "threat" however that did not fix things.
I guess I will need to reset the phone.
Considering I have Magisk installed, I need to remove magisk first. Can I then use ADB to push the image or do I need to do a full wipe first before ADB.
Do I need to do this again? fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
BB
"Do I need to do this again? fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip"
Yes.

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
"Do I need to do this again? fastboot -w --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-bramble-sp1a.999999.999.zip"
Yes.
Not sure if it is Android 12 or my particular phone but I've never been so frustrated. Uninstalled Magiisk, rebooted device, did a factory data reset from within the OS, rebooted, set-up fresh device, enabled usb debugging, flashed latest build with the above commands added into the flash-all,bat file. Rather then profit I would up with a brick. It would boot strait into the bootloade. Going to recovery and trying to do a factory reset resulted in failure. The only solution was to I reboot my PC, change USB ports, and adb sideload the factory OTA. reboot, set-up,enable usb debugging and flash again with falsh-all and the above commands and finally rooted with Magisk. The phome is working again but I am seriously frustrated. If the phone crashes again in a week, I'm going back to 11.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Not sure if it is Android 12 or my particular phone but I've never been so frustrated. Uninstalled Magiisk, rebooted device, did a factory data reset from within the OS, rebooted, set-up fresh device, enabled usb debugging, flashed latest build with the above commands added into the flash-all,bat file. Rather then profit I would up with a brick. It would boot strait into the bootloade. Going to recovery and trying to do a factory reset resulted in failure. The only solution was to I reboot my PC, change USB ports, and adb sideload the factory OTA. reboot, set-up,enable usb debugging and flash again with falsh-all and the above commands and finally rooted with Magisk. The phome is working again but I am seriously frustrated. If the phone crashes again in a week, I'm going back to 11.
What version of Magisk and Safety net Fix are you using?

I'm assuming you have SDK Platform-tools r31.0.3 installed on your computer?

Bad Bimr

Dec 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
What version of Magisk and Safety net Fix are you using?

I'm assuming you have SDK Platform-tools r31.0.3 installed on your computer?
Currently Canary 23015 and Safety Net Fix 2.2.0
Something weird though is that the modules installed are showing but the modules you can choose and search for are not showing in Magisk. I only run 3 modules that I have backups for so no issue for me at least not yet.

EDIT: Oh crap I WAS on Platform Tools 30.0.5, Oops I wonder if that was the issue for all the problems.
PLEASE tell me I don;t have to do this again, LOL!
I have a spare P3aXL that I am going to do put 12 on. See if it will go smoother with the new Platform Tools

EDIT: I think I have found the issue. Again I wiped the phone and set it up with a fresh install of 12. After some issues I got it to boot on Friday 11-26. I rooted and all was well until last night 11-27 when the same thing started to happen, constant reboots after a the phone was on for a few minuets. Before wiping the phone again and reverting to 11 I thought about everything I did with the phone since Friday 9not much). After some thinking I remembered that although installed via backup/restore I never used the Greenify app untill late Saturday when I opened the app and gave it root privileges. Could this be my problem? I uninstalled the Greenify app and low and behold the phone is back to normal, at least for now. I don't know what it is doing but I assume Greenify is hibernating a vital system app that is causing the phone to freeze and reboot. For now the phone is working good.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Currently Canary 23015 and Safety Net Fix 2.2.0
Something weird though is that the modules installed are showing but the modules you can choose and search for are not showing in Magisk. I only run 3 modules that I have backups for so no issue for me at least not yet.

EDIT: Oh crap I WAS on Platform Tools 30.0.5, Oops I wonder if that was the issue for all the problems.
PLEASE tell me I don;t have to do this again, LOL!
I have a spare P3aXL that I am going to do put 12 on. See if it will go smoother with the new Platform Tools
An old SDK Platform-tools definitely was part of the problem.

If you want to install modules, install this:
Fox Magisk Module Manager: 0.1.2 (FoxMmm-0.1.2.apk. 2.59 MB)
- A new module manager for Magisk Alpha/Canary

Last edited:

sillyshyme

Sep 16, 2009
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hello,

The question I am reading the instructions that say if updating from 11 to 12 I must wipe either wipe clean or wipe keep data. The problem is I updated to 12 (when it was in beta mode) (Xfinity model) VZW. So since then, it removed Magisk. So this means I have to start from scratch?

My bootloader is unlocked.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hello,

The question I am reading the instructions that say if updating from 11 to 12 I must wipe either wipe clean or wipe keep data. The problem is I updated to 12 (when it was in beta mode) (Xfinity model) VZW. So since then, it removed Magisk. So this means I have to start from scratch?

My bootloader is unlocked.
If your bootloader is unlocked and you want to root your Pixel 4a 5(G), go to the OP and do you 4., • Flash Factory Image Wipe Data

OneNutShort

Mar 29, 2010
Huntington Beach
Need a little help from someone more knowledgeable.

I did a full wipe last month from Android 11 to Android 12. I rooted without issue, and have been running fine since. Today I tried to update without a data wipe according to the instructions in post 1. I got everything updated fine, but whenever I try to reroot by flashing the patched magisk boot image, the phone just keeps rebooting into fastboot. If I flash the stock boot image, everything boots up fine, but no matter what I try, I can't get the patched boot image to work.

I'm running the latest canary build of magisk, and have the latest platform tools.

Any help is much appreciated.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Need a little help from someone more knowledgeable.

I did a full wipe last month from Android 11 to Android 12. I rooted without issue, and have been running fine since. Today I tried to update without a data wipe according to the instructions in post 1. I got everything updated fine, but whenever I try to reroot by flashing the patched magisk boot image, the phone just keeps rebooting into fastboot. If I flash the stock boot image, everything boots up fine, but no matter what I try, I can't get the patched boot image to work.

I'm running the latest canary build of magisk, and have the latest platform tools.

Any help is much appreciated.
After you flash the stock boot.img boot safe mode. Once Safe boot mode is fully booted. Reboot and try flashing the patched Magisk boot img: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched...img

Last edited:

OneNutShort

Mar 29, 2010
Huntington Beach
After you flash the stock boot.img boot safe mode. Once Safe boot mode is fully booted. Reboot and try flashing the patched Magisk boot img: fastboot flash boot Magisk_patched...img

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately no luck.

In fastboot I flashed the stock boot.img. I then clicked start using the power button. I held volume down to boot into safe mode, waited a few minutes, and then turned the phone off. I waited a few seconds, and then held power+volume down until the phone booted into fastboot. I then flashed the patched boot image using the fastboot flash boot command, and clicked start. The screen went black momentarily, and then came back into fastboot mode with the reasons being "failed to load/verify boot images". From there, the only way I can find to boot successfully is to flash the stock boot image. Once I do that and click start, things boot normally.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately no luck.

In fastboot I flashed the stock boot.img. I then clicked start using the power button. I held volume down to boot into safe mode, waited a few minutes, and then turned the phone off. I waited a few seconds, and then held power+volume down until the phone booted into fastboot. I then flashed the patched boot image using the fastboot flash boot command, and clicked start. The screen went black momentarily, and then came back into fastboot mode with the reasons being "failed to load/verify boot images". From there, the only way I can find to boot successfully is to flash the stock boot image. Once I do that and click start, things boot normally.
You did 4., • Flash Factory Image Keep Data and got this error: "failed to load/verify boot images"

Try fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img[ICODE][/B]. Then flash the magisk_patched...img.

Last edited:

OneNutShort

Mar 29, 2010
Huntington Beach
Delete all Magisk apps from your phone. This includes the hidden Magisk app, If you hid magisk and the patched boot img.

Then install Magisk Canary 23015 and patch the stock boot.img (December 2021) and flash the new magisk_patched...img
I only have the one magisk app, and can certainly delete that. Is there anything I can do via ADB to make sure I get everything? I know there used to be a flashable magisk uninstaller that saved me once back in the day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] [November 6, 2023] Root Pixel 4a (5G) Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + Both Slots Bootable + More
    Android Security Bulletin—November 2023
    Pixel Update Bulletin—November 2023
    Introduction
    This Guide is for Pixel 4a 5(G) owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.
    ~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

• I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      • If you choose to use a Custom Kernels, Custom ROM, etc. You should read the Installation Instructions in their thread before using this guide or attempting to install them. Additionally, the order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting them.
    2. Prerequisites

3. NEW

• Patching the boot.img using the image...zip file extracted from the Google Factory image file and Magisk. (see - OP, ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~, 2., 3., or 4.)
    4. Update(s)

5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

• @topjohnwu - Magisk.
      • @badabing2003 - Creating Pixel Flasher, discovering how to make both slots bootable, and for his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • @Lughnasadh - for testing badabing2003 make both slots bootable, and his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • @Shoey - for discovering and testing patching the boot.img using the image...zip file extracted from the Google Factory image file and Magisk.
      • Those I may have, inadvertently, forgotten.
    ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions for the Pixel 4a 5(G).)

1. (NEW) PREVENT/FIX BOOT LOOPS

• Prevent Boot Loops
        1. Before you patch the init_boot.img: Open the Magisk app and disable all Magisk modules.
          • If you hid the Magisk app, the default name for a hidden Magisk app is settings.
          • If you changed the hidden name to something else and have forgotten it. Use TB checker to find the name of the hidden Magisk Manager:
            1. Open the TB Checker app
            2. Tap Run Xposed check
            3. Scroll down to Magisk Random Package Name: to see Magisk's hidden name.
        2. Check for more than one installation of Magisk app: Use TB Checker
      • Fix Boot Loops
        1. Flash the 'stock' init_boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img --slot all
        2. Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules:
          • When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
          • Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks @Lughnasadh)
        3. Use adb shell command, to remove Magisk Modules
          • Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
          • Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
          • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe and fastboot.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules. When it finishes type fastboot Reboot
    2. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. Notes:
          • This will erase all user data from the device!
          • Backup your data
        2. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        6. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        7. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        8. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
        9. Notes:
          • After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          • Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Use the Android flash tool:
          select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
      • Lock Bootloader

1. If your phone is not 100 percent stock do Return Phone to Stock. If you don't you may brick your phone.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt in the SDK Platform- tools folder, and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    3. Manually Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data

• Before you start:

1. If you haven't updated your phones Factory image in a while. It is not necessary to flash all the missed images in succession. Flash the latest Factory image.
        2. If your phone was previously rooted, open Magisk manager and disable all Magisk modules. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings.
        3. Always verify you have the latest working version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer.
        4. If you get an errorwhile flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        5. If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' init_boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img --slot all
          • Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules
            1. When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
            2. Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
          • Boot fastboot mode Mode By turning phone off to remove Magisk Modules
            1. Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
            2. Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
            3. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
            4. fastboot Reboot
        6. Backup your data
        7. Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble to your Computer.
        8. Extract files from the Factory Image

• Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the bootloader...img; flash-all.bat; image...zip; and radio...img files are in this folder. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file to a folder. Open the folder you extracted the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file to, the boot.img is in this folder. file should be in this folder.
        9. Copy/Move the bootloader...img; image...zip; and radio...img and boot.img files to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has fastboot.exe in it.
      • Flash Factory Image Keep Data

1. Updating/Upgrading Android 14
          Note: If you are Upgrading your Android Version, It is a good idea to flash the bootloader to both slots (A & B).
          ~ E D I T - flash-all.bat file ~

@Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot set_active other
          fastboot reboot-bootloader
          fastboot flash bootloader --slot all bootloader-bramble-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-bramble-a9999a-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot update image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          ~ END EDIT - flash-all.bat file ~
        2. After, you have edited the flash-all.bat file, copy/Move it to your computer's platform-tools folder.
        3. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        4. Connect your phone to the computer.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        6. The phone will reboot when flashing is completed.
        7. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 6. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Flash Factory Image Wipe Data

1. This will wipe your phone's Data/Internal Storage.
        2. Do not edit the flash-all.bat file,
        3. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        4. Connect your phone to the computer.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        6. The phone will reboot when flashing is completed.
        7. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 6. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Some kernels require Disabling verity and verification

1. If you need to disable Verity and Verification. Edit the flash-all.bat file, to disable Verity and Verification.
          ~ Edit - flash-all.bat file ~

@Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot --set-active=other

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-bramble-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-bramble-a99999-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot - w update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.a9.zip
          echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          ~ ~ ~ END EDIT ~ ~ ~
        2. Notes:
          • The first time you Disable Verity and Verification it will wipe your Data/Internal Storage.
          • When doing subsequent updates and disabling Verity and Verification, the -w flag can be removed to Keep Data.
          • Once you start Disabling Verity and Verification you should continue doing it. If you skip disabling one time. The next time you Disable Verity and Verification it will wipe your phone.
        3. Copy/Move the edited flash-all.bat file to the platform-tools folder on your computer.
        4. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        5. Connect your phone to the computer.
        6. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        7. The phone will reboot when flashing is complete.
        8. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 7. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Setup phone

1. Enable Developer Mode
          • Open Setup => About phone => Tap Build number 7 times or until you see you are a 'Devloper'.
        2. Enable Developer Opitions
          • Open Setup => System => Developer options => Enable Developer options
    4. Manually Install/update the OTA image keep data and root/re-root your phone

• Before you start:

1. If you haven't updated your phones OTA image in a while. It is not necessary to flash all the missed OTA images in succession. Flash the latest OTA image.
        2. If your phone was previously rooted, open Magisk manager and disable all Magisk modules. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings.
        3. Always verify you have the latest working version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer.
        4. If you get an error while flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        5. If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
          • Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules
            1. When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
            2. Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
          • Boot fastboot mode by turning phone off to remove Magisk Modules
            1. Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
            2. Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
            3. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
            4. fastboot Reboot
        6. Backup your data
        7. Download files to your phone
        8. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.

• Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file should be in this folder.
        9. Copy/Move the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file and the bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has adb.exe in it.
      • Patch the boot.img

1. Open Magisk (next to Magisk)
        2. Tap Install
        3. Tap Select and patch a file
        4. Navigate to the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file
        5. Tap it then tap the check mark (✓)
        6. Tap Lets go
        7. When you see done the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and stored in the download folder.
        8. Tap the disc icon (upper right corner) to save the log file.
        9. Reboot
        10. Copy/Move the magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          1. Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          2. Move it to your computer using adb push
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file and Root it

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer. Type adb reboot sideload
        2. Type:
          adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. When side loading the OTA image finishes, you should see this:
          • On your computer,
            C:\platform-tools (location of folder with adb and OTA image in it)>adb sideload bramble-ota-up1a.999999.999-9a99a999.
            Total xfer: 2.00x
            C:\platform-tools>
          • On your phone, ...status 0
        4. Type adb reboot bootloader at the command prompt and press Enter.
      • Root this slot - Flash the Magisk_patched....img

1. Type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-99999_aA99a.img at the command prompt and press Enter.
        2. When it finishes flashing, type fastboot reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Disconnect the phone from the computer.
        4. Note: This slot is bootable and rooted.
    5. Make Both Slots Bootable: Manually, Flash the OTA Image to Both Slots - One bootable and rooted, the other slot bootable without root.

• Before you start

1. On the Phone
          • Backup your data
          • Enable Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer.
          • Enable USB Debugging: Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
          • Make sure that there is no pending OTA update, by going to Settings > About phone > System updates, which should say Your system is up to date.
          • Download files
            1. The latest Factory Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble
            2. The latest OTA Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble
            3. Verify the checksum of the Factory and OTA images. The last portion of the filename is the first 8 digits of its SHA-256 checksum; the full SHA-256 checksum is shown next to the download link.
          • Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.

1. Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
            2. Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file should be in this folder.
          • Copy/Move the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file and the bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has adb.exe in it.
          • Patch the boot.img:

1. Note: Before patching the boot.img disable all Magisk modules.
            2. Open the Magisk (Alpha/Beta/Canary/Delta/Stable) App and set the Update Channel to the version of Magisk app you installed.
            3. Open Magisk (next to Magisk)
            4. Tap Install
            5. Tap Select and patch a file
            6. Navigate to the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file
            7. Tap it then tap the check mark (✓)
            8. Tap Lets go
            9. When you see done, the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and is stored in the download folder.
            10. Tap the disc icon (upper right corner) to save the log.
            11. Tap Reboot
          • Copy/Move the magisk_patched....img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it.
          • Connect the phone to the computer.
        2. On your Computer
          • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder.
      • (Optional): Verify your computer sees your device.

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer.
          Note: If you see the Allow USB Debugging prompt, on your phone, Tap Allow.
        2. Type adb devices at the command prompt and press Enter. You should see your device's serial number.
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer.
          Note: If you see the Allow USB Debugging prompt, on your phone, Tap Allow.
        2. Type adb reboot sideload at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Type: adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        4. When side loading the OTA image finishes, you should see this:
          • On your computer,
            C:\platform-tools (location of folder with adb and OTA image in it)>adb sideload bramble-ota-up1a.999999.999-9a99a999.
            Total xfer: 2.00x
            C:\platform-tools>
          • On your phone, ...status 0
        5. Type adb reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        6. Note: This slot is bootable and not rooted
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file to the other slot and Root it.

1. Type adb reboot sideload at the command prompt and press Enter
        2. Type:
          adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. When sideloading finishes, type adb reboot bootloader at the command prompt and press Enter.
          Root this slot - Flash the Magisk_patched....img
        1. Type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-99999_aA99a.img at the command prompt and press Enter.
        2. When it finishes flashing, type fastboot reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Disconnect the phone from the computer.
        4. Note: This slot is bootable and rooted.
        5. Done! :)
    6. Extract files from the Factory Image

1. Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
      2. Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder. The, stock, flash-all.bat file should be in this folder.
      3. Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to and extract the Image file (image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip) into the folder. The flash-all bat and, the stock boot.img file should be in this folder.
    7. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet.

• Android 14

• Upgrade to Android 14: OP, Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 2. Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data, Keep data
      • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.

1. Important Notes
          • If your phone was previously rooted, DO NOT repeat DO NOT install another Magisk Manager app. Do this before you patch the boot.img:
            1. Open the Magisk Manager app and disable all Magisk modules.
            2. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings. If you gave it a different name and you've forgotten the name. Use TB checker to find the name of the hidden Magisk Manager:
              • Open the TB Checker app
              • Tap Run Xposed check
              • Scroll down to Magisk Random Package Name: to see Magisk's hidden name.
                You can also use TB Checker to check if you have more than one Magisk Manager app installed.
          • If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
            • Flash the 'stock' boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
            • Remove Magisk Modules
              1. Boot Safe Mode
                • When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
                • Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
              2. Command Prompt
                • Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
                • Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
                • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
                • fastboot Reboot.
          • If the Magisk Manager app has the Superuser and Module buttons grayed out: Read @badabing2003 post
        2. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.
          • Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the Image file (image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip) file should be in this folder[/U].
        3. Install Magisk Canary - Download app-release.apk
          or
          Magisk Beta/Stable App
        4. Open Magisk Beta/Canary/Stable App
        5. The Update Channel should be set to Beta/Canary/Stable, depending on the version you Installed.
        6. Tap Install (next to Magisk)
        7. Tap, Select and Patch a File
        8. Select the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file you extracted from the latest factory image.
        9. Tap the ✓ (Check Mark)
        10. Tap Let's Go
        11. When you see done the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and stored in the download folder.
        12. Tap the disc icon (upper right) to save the log file.
        13. Reboot
        14. Copy/Move the magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          • Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          • Move it to your computer using adb push
        15. Boot fastboot mode
        16. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        17. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder.
        18. Type fastboot flash boot "magisk_patched...img" (name of patched.img file) without the quote marks at the Prompt and press enter.
        19. Type fastboot reboot at the Prompt and press enter.
      • Pass Safety Net with SafetyNet Fork

1. Download File(s)
        2. Install osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork
          • Open Magisk
          • Tap Modules icon
          • Tap Install from storage
          • Navigate to the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file you downloaded.
          • Tap the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file.
          • When you see the confirmation screen, tap Ok.
          • After it installs tap the Disc icon to save the log
          • Tap Reboot
        3. Settings for Magisk Canary
          • Open Magisk App
          • Tap the Setup icon.
          • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
          • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
          • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk.
          • Enable Denylist
          • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, Google Wallet etc.
          • (Optional) Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
        4. Get Device Certified
          • Flash the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork module in Magisk
          • Turn Airplane mode on
          • Open Settings
          • Tap Apps & notifications
          • Tap see all...
          • Tap three dot menu
          • Tap Show system
          • Scroll to Google Wallet/Play Store/Play Services
          • Clear Google Wallet cache (if you have it)
          • Clear Google Play Store cache and data
          • Clear Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms) cache and data (Optionally skip clearing data and wait some time, ~24h, for it to resolve on its own)
          • Turn Airplane mode Off
          • Reboot
        5. Check Device Certification
          • Note: If after completeting Get Device Certified your device is not certifed or your device is certified but certain apps (Google Pay, NetFliks, etc.) are not working. Do this to verify you are passing Play Integrity.
            1. Open Google Play Store app
            2. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
            3. Tap Settings.
            4. Open the About menu
            5. Tap the row labeled Play Store version seven times to unlock developer mode.
            6. Tap the back arrow (upper left corner)
            7. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
            8. Tap Settings.
            9. Open the General menu
            10. Tap Developer options
            11. Tap Check integrity
            12. If you see Basic Integrity and Device Integrity, you're passing Play integrity.
    8. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap Settings icon > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta, Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/Download
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done!
    9. Install/Update Magisk Modules

10. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    11. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    12. ADB Sideload

~ ~ ~ Part III - Other ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

2. Themes, Apps, and Mods
    3. T.W.R.P. Backup/Restore

• Waiting for Android 13 T.W.R.P.
    Provided you are not on Verizon:
    Try reinstalling the stock boot.img from the update, flash the OTA, or perform another clean install. After first boot and performing any necessary setup (if clean install), power off phone, remove sim card, reboot. Creat a new patched boot.img, install it and reboot. Turn phone off, reinstall sim card, reboot as normal. Should fix the issue. Make sure you are using the latest magisk (I prefer stable of canary personally but it's your call).
    If you are on verizon, do not install the April update in this thread, as it is stated "All carriers EXCEPT Verizon."

However, there is an OTA update on the official frimware website that does work on Verizon. I just flashed it myself. Maybe Homeboy76 could update thread?
    :( Do not repeat do not follow these instructions. The information is only partially correct. :(

I just checked the Factory image and the OTA image pages the only change was the All carriers EXCEPT Verizon has been removed from the images description.

The OP has been updated to reflect the change.

These images work on Verizon Pixel 4a 5g phones.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the Magisk Manager apps should have fixed the superuser and module buttons greyed out problem.

Maybe @badabing2003 can help you use the Pixel Flasher tool to fix the superuser and module buttons greyed out problem.
    This is typically due to multiple Magisk managers being installed, if at any point, Magisk Manager was hidden, and then another Magisk manager was installed, you'd face issues as this.
    @dadnammit you should first do is, uninstall all Magisk managers, hopefully you can find the hidden one, or at least you know the package name, if you did not rename the application when you hid, then it should be named settings.
    If you have already applied patched boot, then reboot and just install Magisk Manager. and it should detect root.
    You can confirm that you're rooted by doing
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    if you get su, you're rooted.

If you are on stock, then just install Magisk Manager and flash the patched boot.
    Whatever you do make sure you only have a single instance of Magisk manager.
    Thanks for the write-up. Just got one of these as I dropped my old phone, and I was due anyways. So question regarding Safetynet. I went ahead and went with the latest Feb factory image, patched the boot and rooted with Magisk, then tried the safety net and attestation fails. Anybody have the feb patch and passing safetynet? if so what was the sequence you used? thanks
    - Root with Magisk patched img
    - Open Magisk Manager install SafetyNet module
    - Reboot
    - Open Magisk Manager Enable Magisk hide
    - Hide Google Play store, Google pay, etc
    - Clear cache and storage for the above apps
    - Reboot
    hi @Homeboy76 ,
    maybe i'm wrong, but in your
    Prerequisites

1. A Pixel 4a 5(G) phone with an unlocked bootloader.
    2. The latest Android 11 (R) Factory or OTA Image: "bramble" for Pixel 4a 5(G)
    3. Factory Image
    also at:
    4. Install/Update Factory Image keep or wipe data
    Just checked
    It is pointing to the Pixel 4a 5(G) bramble factory image.

Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 5 - bramble to your Computer. --> pixel 5 (only text)? Fixed!