[Guide] [November 6, 2023] Root Pixel 4a (5G) Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + Both Slots Bootable + More

Search This thread

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Late response here, but unfortunately, I can't do the "Instead..." because the restart button did just what it said. It restarted and booted the new update. Problem is, since I didn't have the option of downloading the OTA then installing Magisk to the inactive slot before rebooting, I lost root. Even bigger problem is now the phone is not recognized by a PC to use adb/fastboot commands. Tried 3 different PCs and multiple cables, and the PC does nothing. The phone screen flashes and the phone starts charging, but USB preferences notification does not show to change to data transfer mode. I can manually open USB preferences, but all options are grayed out. Changing default USB mode doesn't do anything. It's like it's attached to a charger, not a PC. I even did a factory reset and it's still not recognized. Not sure what I can do to regain root at this point.
The post you replied to is out dated. The instructions in the OP are usually up to date.

Did you install the pixel driver's on your computer?

zubblwump

Dec 29, 2008
The post you replied to is out dated. The instructions in the OP are usually up to date.

Did you install the pixel driver's on your computer?
What part is outdated? The procedure in the post I replied to and in the OP are the same: Download and install OTA, use Magisk to install to inactive slot before reboot. I only see reboot option. Regardless, the more pressing issue is I cannot connect to PC to push root via fastboot, so I'm stuck with a functional phone but one that I can no longer re-root. How do I install/update driver if the computer doesn't even see a USB device was connected?

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
What part is outdated? The procedure in the post I replied to and in the OP are the same: Download and install OTA, use Magisk to install to inactive slot before reboot. I only see reboot option. Regardless, the more pressing issue is I cannot connect to PC to push root via fastboot, so I'm stuck with a functional phone but one that I can no longer re-root. How do I install/update driver if the computer doesn't even see a USB device was connected?
What OS and version is on your Computer?
You may have to install Google USB driver's.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Last edited:

zubblwump

Dec 29, 2008
- Go to Download and Install Google USB Driver for Windows [Pixel and Nexus]
- Scroll down to Download Google USB Driver
- Tap Download Google USB Driver
- Scroll dow to How to Install Google USB Driver on Windows 10/11
- Follow the instructions

After, The Google USB Driver is installed your Computer should see your phone.
Right, that's what I'm saying...those instructions say "open Device Manager, expand the Portable Devices section, right-click on the connected device name and select Update Driver Software". None of the PCs I've tried see anything connected, so I can't do this. When I connect different Android phones using the same cable and port, the PC sees a device connected and the phone sees that it is connected to a PC, so I believe it is a phone problem.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Right, that's what I'm saying...those instructions say "open Device Manager, expand the Portable Devices section, right-click on the connected device name and select Update Driver Software". None of the PCs I've tried see anything connected, so I can't do this. When I connect different Android phones using the same cable and port, the PC sees a device connected and the phone sees that it is connected to a PC, so I believe it is a phone problem.
:rolleyes: You're right.

fremont85

Apr 17, 2011
Long Bottom, OH
Have you figured this out yet?

zubblwump

Dec 29, 2008
Have you went into the Developer Options and under the "Networking" section, look for Default USB Configuration and change it to File Transfer/Android Auto?
Yep, tried it. I can slide the slider and pick a connection mode, but it doesn't make a difference. Similar with manually finding USB preferences. It doesn't recognize a data connection, so it's grayed out exactly the same as it is when it's plugged into a charger.

Homeboy76

Recognized Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Magisk Canary Update
app-release (2106751e) (24315)

Zygisk
[MagiskSU] [Zygisk] Proper package management and detection
[Zygisk] Fix Zygisk's self code unloading implementation...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide] [November 6, 2023] Root Pixel 4a (5G) Unlock Bootloader + Pass SafetyNet + Both Slots Bootable + More
    Android Security Bulletin—November 2023
    Pixel Update Bulletin—November 2023
    Introduction
    This Guide is for Pixel 4a 5(G) owners that want to Root their phone, and enjoy the benefits of rooting it. The Guide is divided into three parts: Information, Instructions, and Other.
    ~ ~ ~ Part I - INFORMATION ~ ~ ~
    1. Disclaimer

• I assume no responsibility for the malfunctioning/bricking of your phone.
      • If you choose to use a Custom Kernels, Custom ROM, etc. You should read the Installation Instructions in their thread before using this guide or attempting to install them. Additionally, the order of listed items i.e., Custom Kernels, Custom ROMS, etc. Does not indicate my preference for them. It is your responsibility to do the research before selecting them.
    2. Prerequisites

3. NEW

• Patching the boot.img using the image...zip file extracted from the Google Factory image file and Magisk. (see - OP, ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~, 2., 3., or 4.)
    4. Update(s)

5. My Other Guides
    6. Credits/Thanks/Recognitions

• @topjohnwu - Magisk.
      • @badabing2003 - Creating Pixel Flasher, discovering how to make both slots bootable, and for his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • @Lughnasadh - for testing badabing2003 make both slots bootable, and his many helpful contributions to this thread.
      • @Shoey - for discovering and testing patching the boot.img using the image...zip file extracted from the Google Factory image file and Magisk.
      • Those I may have, inadvertently, forgotten.
    ~ ~ ~ Part II - INSTRUCTIONS ~ ~ ~
    (The Instructions listed below are not steps, they are individual sets of instructions for the Pixel 4a 5(G).)

1. (NEW) PREVENT/FIX BOOT LOOPS

• Prevent Boot Loops
        1. Before you patch the init_boot.img: Open the Magisk app and disable all Magisk modules.
          • If you hid the Magisk app, the default name for a hidden Magisk app is settings.
          • If you changed the hidden name to something else and have forgotten it. Use TB checker to find the name of the hidden Magisk Manager:
            1. Open the TB Checker app
            2. Tap Run Xposed check
            3. Scroll down to Magisk Random Package Name: to see Magisk's hidden name.
        2. Check for more than one installation of Magisk app: Use TB Checker
      • Fix Boot Loops
        1. Flash the 'stock' init_boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img --slot all
        2. Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules:
          • When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
          • Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks @Lughnasadh)
        3. Use adb shell command, to remove Magisk Modules
          • Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
          • Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
          • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe and fastboot.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules. When it finishes type fastboot Reboot
    2. Unlock Bootloader/Return Phone to Stock/Lock Bootloader

• Unlock Bootloader

1. Notes:
          • This will erase all user data from the device!
          • Backup your data
        2. Activate Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer. Tap back > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlock and, USB Debugging.
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer and type fastboot flashing unlock and press enter.
        6. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        7. Allow the process to complete and then type fastboot reboot at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        8. When your phone reboots disconnect your usb cable.
        9. Notes:
          • After unlocking your bootloader, you'll see a warning: The bootloader is unlocked and... You will see this warning until, you relock the bootloader.
          • Do not relock your bootloader until you have returned the device to Stock.
      • Return Phone to Stock

1. Backup your data/Internal storage
        2. Use the Android flash tool:
          select Wipe => Force Flash Partitions => Lock Bootloader.
      • Lock Bootloader

1. If your phone is not 100 percent stock do Return Phone to Stock. If you don't you may brick your phone.
        2. This will erase all user data from the device!
        3. Boot fastboot mode
        4. Open a Command Prompt in the SDK Platform- tools folder, and type this at the Prompt: fastboot flashing lock
        5. You should see a request for confirmation on your phone, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select.
        6. Allow the process to complete, then type this at the Command Prompt: fastboot reboot
        7. Enable Developer Options: Settings > About phone > Tap Build number 7 times or until you see 'you are a developer'.
        8. Tap Back > Developer options and toggle OEM Unlock off.
    3. Manually Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data

• Before you start:

1. If you haven't updated your phones Factory image in a while. It is not necessary to flash all the missed images in succession. Flash the latest Factory image.
        2. If your phone was previously rooted, open Magisk manager and disable all Magisk modules. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings.
        3. Always verify you have the latest working version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer.
        4. If you get an errorwhile flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        5. If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' init_boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash init_boot init_boot.img --slot all
          • Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules
            1. When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
            2. Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
          • Boot fastboot mode Mode By turning phone off to remove Magisk Modules
            1. Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
            2. Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
            3. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
            4. fastboot Reboot
        6. Backup your data
        7. Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble to your Computer.
        8. Extract files from the Factory Image

• Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the bootloader...img; flash-all.bat; image...zip; and radio...img files are in this folder. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file to a folder. Open the folder you extracted the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file to, the boot.img is in this folder. file should be in this folder.
        9. Copy/Move the bootloader...img; image...zip; and radio...img and boot.img files to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has fastboot.exe in it.
      • Flash Factory Image Keep Data

1. Updating/Upgrading Android 14
          Note: If you are Upgrading your Android Version, It is a good idea to flash the bootloader to both slots (A & B).
          ~ E D I T - flash-all.bat file ~

@Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot set_active other
          fastboot reboot-bootloader
          fastboot flash bootloader --slot all bootloader-bramble-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-bramble-a9999a-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot update image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          ~ END EDIT - flash-all.bat file ~
        2. After, you have edited the flash-all.bat file, copy/Move it to your computer's platform-tools folder.
        3. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        4. Connect your phone to the computer.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        6. The phone will reboot when flashing is completed.
        7. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 6. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Flash Factory Image Wipe Data

1. This will wipe your phone's Data/Internal Storage.
        2. Do not edit the flash-all.bat file,
        3. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        4. Connect your phone to the computer.
        5. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        6. The phone will reboot when flashing is completed.
        7. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 6. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Some kernels require Disabling verity and verification

1. If you need to disable Verity and Verification. Edit the flash-all.bat file, to disable Verity and Verification.
          ~ Edit - flash-all.bat file ~

@Echo off
          PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
          fastboot --set-active=other

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-bramble-aaaaaa-9.9-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot flash radio radio-bramble-a99999-999999-999999-a-9999999.img
          ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
          fastboot - w update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.a9.zip
          echo Press any key to exit...
          pause >nul
          exit
          ~ ~ ~ END EDIT ~ ~ ~
        2. Notes:
          • The first time you Disable Verity and Verification it will wipe your Data/Internal Storage.
          • When doing subsequent updates and disabling Verity and Verification, the -w flag can be removed to Keep Data.
          • Once you start Disabling Verity and Verification you should continue doing it. If you skip disabling one time. The next time you Disable Verity and Verification it will wipe your phone.
        3. Copy/Move the edited flash-all.bat file to the platform-tools folder on your computer.
        4. Boot fastboot mode (Power off the phone => Press the Power and Down buttons until you see Start)
        5. Connect your phone to the computer.
        6. Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder and type: flash-all at the Command Prompt and press enter.
        7. The phone will reboot when flashing is complete.
        8. Go-to Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 7. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet, • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.
      • Setup phone

1. Enable Developer Mode
          • Open Setup => About phone => Tap Build number 7 times or until you see you are a 'Devloper'.
        2. Enable Developer Opitions
          • Open Setup => System => Developer options => Enable Developer options
    4. Manually Install/update the OTA image keep data and root/re-root your phone

• Before you start:

1. If you haven't updated your phones OTA image in a while. It is not necessary to flash all the missed OTA images in succession. Flash the latest OTA image.
        2. If your phone was previously rooted, open Magisk manager and disable all Magisk modules. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings.
        3. Always verify you have the latest working version of SDK Platform-Tools installed on your computer.
        4. If you get an error while flashing, try one of these options:
          • Change the USB port to a non charging USB port.
          • Change the USB cord.
          • Change Computers.
        5. If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
          • Flash the 'stock' boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
          • Boot Safe Mode while booting to remove Magisk Modules
            1. When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
            2. Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
          • Boot fastboot mode by turning phone off to remove Magisk Modules
            1. Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
            2. Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
            3. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
            4. fastboot Reboot
        6. Backup your data
        7. Download files to your phone
        8. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.

• Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file should be in this folder.
        9. Copy/Move the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file and the bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has adb.exe in it.
      • Patch the boot.img

1. Open Magisk (next to Magisk)
        2. Tap Install
        3. Tap Select and patch a file
        4. Navigate to the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file
        5. Tap it then tap the check mark (✓)
        6. Tap Lets go
        7. When you see done the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and stored in the download folder.
        8. Tap the disc icon (upper right corner) to save the log file.
        9. Reboot
        10. Copy/Move the magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          1. Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          2. Move it to your computer using adb push
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file and Root it

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer. Type adb reboot sideload
        2. Type:
          adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. When side loading the OTA image finishes, you should see this:
          • On your computer,
            C:\platform-tools (location of folder with adb and OTA image in it)>adb sideload bramble-ota-up1a.999999.999-9a99a999.
            Total xfer: 2.00x
            C:\platform-tools>
          • On your phone, ...status 0
        4. Type adb reboot bootloader at the command prompt and press Enter.
      • Root this slot - Flash the Magisk_patched....img

1. Type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-99999_aA99a.img at the command prompt and press Enter.
        2. When it finishes flashing, type fastboot reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Disconnect the phone from the computer.
        4. Note: This slot is bootable and rooted.
    5. Make Both Slots Bootable: Manually, Flash the OTA Image to Both Slots - One bootable and rooted, the other slot bootable without root.

• Before you start

1. On the Phone
          • Backup your data
          • Enable Developer Options: Tap Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times or until you see you are a Developer.
          • Enable USB Debugging: Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
          • Make sure that there is no pending OTA update, by going to Settings > About phone > System updates, which should say Your system is up to date.
          • Download files
            1. The latest Factory Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble
            2. The latest OTA Image: Pixel 4a5(G) - bramble
            3. Verify the checksum of the Factory and OTA images. The last portion of the filename is the first 8 digits of its SHA-256 checksum; the full SHA-256 checksum is shown next to the download link.
          • Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.

1. Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder.
            2. Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file should be in this folder.
          • Copy/Move the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file and the bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip to your computer's Platform-tools folder, the folder that has adb.exe in it.
          • Patch the boot.img:

1. Note: Before patching the boot.img disable all Magisk modules.
            2. Open the Magisk (Alpha/Beta/Canary/Delta/Stable) App and set the Update Channel to the version of Magisk app you installed.
            3. Open Magisk (next to Magisk)
            4. Tap Install
            5. Tap Select and patch a file
            6. Navigate to the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file
            7. Tap it then tap the check mark (✓)
            8. Tap Lets go
            9. When you see done, the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and is stored in the download folder.
            10. Tap the disc icon (upper right corner) to save the log.
            11. Tap Reboot
          • Copy/Move the magisk_patched....img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it.
          • Connect the phone to the computer.
        2. On your Computer
          • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder.
      • (Optional): Verify your computer sees your device.

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer.
          Note: If you see the Allow USB Debugging prompt, on your phone, Tap Allow.
        2. Type adb devices at the command prompt and press Enter. You should see your device's serial number.
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file

1. With the device powered on, booted, USB debugging enabled, and the phone connected to the computer.
          Note: If you see the Allow USB Debugging prompt, on your phone, Tap Allow.
        2. Type adb reboot sideload at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Type: adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        4. When side loading the OTA image finishes, you should see this:
          • On your computer,
            C:\platform-tools (location of folder with adb and OTA image in it)>adb sideload bramble-ota-up1a.999999.999-9a99a999.
            Total xfer: 2.00x
            C:\platform-tools>
          • On your phone, ...status 0
        5. Type adb reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        6. Note: This slot is bootable and not rooted
      • Sideload the Google OTA image file to the other slot and Root it.

1. Type adb reboot sideload at the command prompt and press Enter
        2. Type:
          adb sideload bramble-ota-aa9a.999999.999-aaaa9999.zip at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. When sideloading finishes, type adb reboot bootloader at the command prompt and press Enter.
          Root this slot - Flash the Magisk_patched....img
        1. Type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-99999_aA99a.img at the command prompt and press Enter.
        2. When it finishes flashing, type fastboot reboot at the command prompt and press Enter.
        3. Disconnect the phone from the computer.
        4. Note: This slot is bootable and rooted.
        5. Done! :)
    6. Extract files from the Factory Image

1. Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
      2. Extract the Factory Image file (bramble-a9a9a.999999.999-factory-99a9a99a.zip) to a folder. The, stock, flash-all.bat file should be in this folder.
      3. Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to and extract the Image file (image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip) into the folder. The flash-all bat and, the stock boot.img file should be in this folder.
    7. Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet.

• Android 14

• Upgrade to Android 14: OP, Part II - INSTRUCTIONS, 2. Install/Update Factory Image keep data or wipe data, Keep data
      • Patching the boot.img - to root/reroot.

1. Important Notes
          • If your phone was previously rooted, DO NOT repeat DO NOT install another Magisk Manager app. Do this before you patch the boot.img:
            1. Open the Magisk Manager app and disable all Magisk modules.
            2. If you hid the Magisk manager app the default name for the hidden Magisk app is settings. If you gave it a different name and you've forgotten the name. Use TB checker to find the name of the hidden Magisk Manager:
              • Open the TB Checker app
              • Tap Run Xposed check
              • Scroll down to Magisk Random Package Name: to see Magisk's hidden name.
                You can also use TB Checker to check if you have more than one Magisk Manager app installed.
          • If your phone boot loops try one of the following options:
            • Flash the 'stock' boot.img to both slots to remove root: fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
            • Remove Magisk Modules
              1. Boot Safe Mode
                • When booting, press and hold your phone's volume down button. Keep holding it until the animation ends and your phone starts in safe mode.
                • Then reboot and magisk modules should be disabled. (Thanks Lughnasadh)
              2. Command Prompt
                • Press the Power button until the phone turns off.
                • Press the Power and Volume Down to boot fastboot mode.
                • Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder or the folder that has adb.exe in it, and type adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
                • fastboot Reboot.
          • If the Magisk Manager app has the Superuser and Module buttons grayed out: Read @badabing2003 post
        2. Extract the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file from the Factory Image.
          • Download the latest Factory image to your phone.
          • Open the folder you extracted the Factory image to, the Image file (image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip) file should be in this folder[/U].
        3. Install Magisk Canary - Download app-release.apk
          or
          Magisk Beta/Stable App
        4. Open Magisk Beta/Canary/Stable App
        5. The Update Channel should be set to Beta/Canary/Stable, depending on the version you Installed.
        6. Tap Install (next to Magisk)
        7. Tap, Select and Patch a File
        8. Select the image-bramble-aa9a.999999.999.zip file you extracted from the latest factory image.
        9. Tap the ✓ (Check Mark)
        10. Tap Let's Go
        11. When you see done the boot.img has been patched (magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img), and stored in the download folder.
        12. Tap the disc icon (upper right) to save the log file.
        13. Reboot
        14. Copy/Move the magisk_patched_xxxxxx.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder or the folder that has fastboot.exe in it:
          • Copy it to a USB drive and transfer it to your computer.
          • Move it to your computer using adb push
        15. Boot fastboot mode
        16. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB cord.
        17. Open a Command Prompt in the Platform-tools folder.
        18. Type fastboot flash boot "magisk_patched...img" (name of patched.img file) without the quote marks at the Prompt and press enter.
        19. Type fastboot reboot at the Prompt and press enter.
      • Pass Safety Net with SafetyNet Fork

1. Download File(s)
        2. Install osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork
          • Open Magisk
          • Tap Modules icon
          • Tap Install from storage
          • Navigate to the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file you downloaded.
          • Tap the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork file.
          • When you see the confirmation screen, tap Ok.
          • After it installs tap the Disc icon to save the log
          • Tap Reboot
        3. Settings for Magisk Canary
          • Open Magisk App
          • Tap the Setup icon.
          • Scroll down to App and set the Update Channel to Canary.
          • Scroll down to Check Updates and enable it.
          • Scroll down to Magisk and enable Zygisk.
          • Enable Denylist
          • Tap Configure DenyList => Tap 3 Dot Menu => Check ✓ Show system apps => Check ✓ Google Play Store, Google Pay, Google Wallet etc.
          • (Optional) Scroll down to Superuser and enable Enable Biometric Authentication.
        4. Get Device Certified
          • Flash the osm0sis PlayIntegrityFork module in Magisk
          • Turn Airplane mode on
          • Open Settings
          • Tap Apps & notifications
          • Tap see all...
          • Tap three dot menu
          • Tap Show system
          • Scroll to Google Wallet/Play Store/Play Services
          • Clear Google Wallet cache (if you have it)
          • Clear Google Play Store cache and data
          • Clear Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms) cache and data (Optionally skip clearing data and wait some time, ~24h, for it to resolve on its own)
          • Turn Airplane mode Off
          • Reboot
        5. Check Device Certification
          • Note: If after completeting Get Device Certified your device is not certifed or your device is certified but certain apps (Google Pay, NetFliks, etc.) are not working. Do this to verify you are passing Play Integrity.
            1. Open Google Play Store app
            2. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
            3. Tap Settings.
            4. Open the About menu
            5. Tap the row labeled Play Store version seven times to unlock developer mode.
            6. Tap the back arrow (upper left corner)
            7. Tap your profile icon (top right corner)
            8. Tap Settings.
            9. Open the General menu
            10. Tap Developer options
            11. Tap Check integrity
            12. If you see Basic Integrity and Device Integrity, you're passing Play integrity.
    8. Set Magisk App Update Channel/Update Magisk

• Set Magisk App Update Channel

• Open Magisk App > Tap Settings icon > Update Channel > Select Stable, Beta, Canary or Custom.
      • Update Magisk

1. When Magisk App notifies you of an update:
        2. Tap install.
        3. Select, Direct Install (Recommended)
        4. When it finishes installing
        5. Tap, Save Log
        6. Log location: /storage/emulated/0/Download
        7. Tap, Reboot
        8. Done!
    9. Install/Update Magisk Modules

10. Open a Command Prompt/Boot Fastboot Mode/Boot Recovery

• Open a Command Prompt on Computer
        1. Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type cmd and press enter.
        2. Open a Powershell Command Prompt on Computer: Open File Explorer, click the platform-tools folder ==> click the folder icon (left side of address bar) to highlight it type powershell and press enter.
        3. Notes:
          • Enable USB Debugging, on your phone: Settings ==> System ==> Advanced ==> Developer options ==> Scroll down to USB debugging and enable it.
          • When using the Powershell Command Prompt Commands must be preceeded with ./: i.e, ./fastboot devices
          • If you do not want to open a Command Prompt every time you want to use the fastboot command, add the path to the Platform-tools folder to Windows environment variables.
      • Boot fastboot mode (bootloader):
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start.
      • Boot Recovery
        • Power off phone, press and hold the power and volume down buttons until you see Start. Use volume up/down button until you see Recovery mode. Press power button.
    11. Test fastboot

• Enable Developer Options - Tap Settings > About phone > Build number 7 times or until you should see 'you are a Developer'.
      • Enable USB Debugging - Tap Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options >
        Enable USB Debugging.
      • Open a Command Prompt on your computer in the Platform-tools folder.
      • Boot fastboot mode on your phone
      • Connect the phone to the Computer.
      • At the prompt type: fastboot devices to verify communication with phone. It should return your phone's serial number.
    12. ADB Sideload

~ ~ ~ Part III - Other ~ ~ ~
    1. Custom ROMs

2. Themes, Apps, and Mods
    3. T.W.R.P. Backup/Restore

• Waiting for Android 13 T.W.R.P.
    Provided you are not on Verizon:
    Try reinstalling the stock boot.img from the update, flash the OTA, or perform another clean install. After first boot and performing any necessary setup (if clean install), power off phone, remove sim card, reboot. Creat a new patched boot.img, install it and reboot. Turn phone off, reinstall sim card, reboot as normal. Should fix the issue. Make sure you are using the latest magisk (I prefer stable of canary personally but it's your call).
    If you are on verizon, do not install the April update in this thread, as it is stated "All carriers EXCEPT Verizon."

However, there is an OTA update on the official frimware website that does work on Verizon. I just flashed it myself. Maybe Homeboy76 could update thread?
    :( Do not repeat do not follow these instructions. The information is only partially correct. :(

I just checked the Factory image and the OTA image pages the only change was the All carriers EXCEPT Verizon has been removed from the images description.

The OP has been updated to reflect the change.

These images work on Verizon Pixel 4a 5g phones.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the Magisk Manager apps should have fixed the superuser and module buttons greyed out problem.

Maybe @badabing2003 can help you use the Pixel Flasher tool to fix the superuser and module buttons greyed out problem.
    This is typically due to multiple Magisk managers being installed, if at any point, Magisk Manager was hidden, and then another Magisk manager was installed, you'd face issues as this.
    @dadnammit you should first do is, uninstall all Magisk managers, hopefully you can find the hidden one, or at least you know the package name, if you did not rename the application when you hid, then it should be named settings.
    If you have already applied patched boot, then reboot and just install Magisk Manager. and it should detect root.
    You can confirm that you're rooted by doing
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    if you get su, you're rooted.

If you are on stock, then just install Magisk Manager and flash the patched boot.
    Whatever you do make sure you only have a single instance of Magisk manager.
    Thanks for the write-up. Just got one of these as I dropped my old phone, and I was due anyways. So question regarding Safetynet. I went ahead and went with the latest Feb factory image, patched the boot and rooted with Magisk, then tried the safety net and attestation fails. Anybody have the feb patch and passing safetynet? if so what was the sequence you used? thanks
    - Root with Magisk patched img
    - Open Magisk Manager install SafetyNet module
    - Reboot
    - Open Magisk Manager Enable Magisk hide
    - Hide Google Play store, Google pay, etc
    - Clear cache and storage for the above apps
    - Reboot
    hi @Homeboy76 ,
    maybe i'm wrong, but in your
    Prerequisites

1. A Pixel 4a 5(G) phone with an unlocked bootloader.
    2. The latest Android 11 (R) Factory or OTA Image: "bramble" for Pixel 4a 5(G)
    3. Factory Image
    also at:
    4. Install/Update Factory Image keep or wipe data
    Just checked
    It is pointing to the Pixel 4a 5(G) bramble factory image.

Download the latest Factory Image: Pixel 5 - bramble to your Computer. --> pixel 5 (only text)? Fixed!