How To Guide [GUIDE] Pixel 6 "oriole": Unlock Bootloader, Update, Root, Pass SafetyNet

Search This thread
Oct 23, 2007
This thread's title should really be updated to say "ROOT USERS:"... there's been some chatter that looks like it's referring to the standard updates.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
O

Nice unlocked the bootloader stays unlocked as long as u sideload the OTA ur good😁
I would recommend you do not sideload the OTA to update. Dirty flash the factory image using Android Flash Tool.

Or, if you absolutely have to do things yourself, dirty flash the factory image via ADB.

This thread's title should really be updated to say "ROOT USERS:"... there's been some chatter that looks like it's referring to the standard updates.
Good idea, I'll change the title.

Ntress

Dec 5, 2010
So if I'm on .036 build rooted and want to update to 0.37
will my data got wiped after I update ?

cbomb1337

I followed the Android flash tool method in page 1 thanks. I didn't use the same flash code though for flashing magisk patches boot img to the phone. I think I just did fastboot flash boot magiskxxxxxxx.img. It worked out. Wonder why the OP says to flash all slots.

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
I followed the Android flash tool method in page 1 thanks. I didn't use the same flash code though for flashing magisk patches boot img to the phone. I think I just did fastboot flash boot magiskxxxxxxx.img. It worked out. Wonder why the OP says to flash all slots.
I guess because the online flash tool flashes both slots, so you flash the Magisk patched boot image to both slots too.

Last edited:

norman00037

Nov 17, 2021
Google Pixel 6
Worked like a charm for me. Yesterday I flashed oriole-sd1a.210817.037 to my rooted Pixel 6 (after creating a full storage backup and system/app backup using Swift Backup).
I downloaded the factory image ZIP package, zipped radio and bootloader to my platform-tools folder. Booted to bootloader and flashed radio and bootloader (you need to be on the latest bootloader, otherwise fastboot won't let you flash the ZIP image zipped from the ZIP package).

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img --slot all
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio.img --slot all

Then I flashed the ZIP image.
Code:
fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification image.zip

I booted to the updated system and patched the latest boot.img (zipped from the ZIP image) with Magisk canary. Then I flashed it with fastboot.
Code:
fastboot flash boot magiskboot.img --slot all

Rebooted and checked Magisk which runs in Zygisk. All good, did hide Magisk Manager again and checked if the Safety Net Magsik Module works ... all banking and streaming apps available and working.

Thanks to @V0latyle and all you nice folks.
So to sum up for newbie:
1. Flash stock boot.img got from image.zip
2. Reboot bootloader and flash stock radio.img from image.zip
3. Boot system, run Magisk, patch boot.img
4. Flash patched boot.img

Is that correct sir?

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
To answer your question;
So to sum up for newbie:
1. Flash stock boot.img got from image.zip
2. Reboot bootloader and flash stock radio.img from image.zip
3. Boot system, run Magisk, patch boot.img
4. Flash patched boot.img

Is that correct sir?
1. Flash latest stock bootloader and radio image from the factory image package (reboot bootloader between flashing)
2. Flash latest image ZIP from the factory image package using the correct flags so your device does not get a wipe
3. Boot system, run magisk and patch the stock boot image from the image ZIP
4. Reboot to bootloader and flash the patched boot image

My little updater does exactly that but automated if you gave it the needed files as shown in the screenshot (post #52). The only thing different is that the boot image has to be patched first (and renamed + copied like the other files) by the user before starting the process.

Last edited:

chuppito

Jun 29, 2014
Pour répondre à ta question;

1. Flashez le dernier chargeur de démarrage et l'image radio du package d'image d'usine (redémarrez le chargeur de démarrage entre les clignotements)
2. Flashez la dernière image ZIP à partir du package d'images d'usine en utilisant les indicateurs appropriés afin que votre appareil ne reçoive pas d'effacement
3. Démarrez le système, exécutez magisk et corrigez l'image de démarrage à partir de l'image ZIP
4. Redémarrez sur le chargeur de démarrage et flashez l'image de démarrage corrigée

Mon petit programme de mise à jour fait exactement cela, mais de manière automatisée si vous lui avez donné les fichiers nécessaires, comme indiqué dans la capture d'écran (post #52). La seule différence est que l'image de démarrage doit d'abord être corrigée (et renommée + copiée comme les autres fichiers) par l'utilisateur avant de démarrer le processus.
MThank you I test it as soon as I update. Apparently there is a fix for MagiskThank you I test it as soon as I update. Apparently there is a fix for Magisk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ⚠️⚠️⚠️WARNING! IF YOU ARE UPDATING TO ANDROID 13 FOR THE FIRST TIME, READ THIS FIRST! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Official updates for this device will end October 2024.

If you are looking for my guide on a different Pixel, find it here:
    For best results, use the latest stable Magisk release.
    Discussion thread for migration to 24.0+.
    Note: Magisk prior to Canary 23016 does not incorporate the necessary fixes for Android 12+.

WARNING: YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE. THIS GUIDE IS WRITTEN WITH THE EXPRESS ASSUMPTION THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ADB, MAGISK, ANDROID, AND ROOT. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Prerequisites:

Android Source - Setting up a device for development

1. Follow these instructions to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging.
    2. Enable OEM Unlocking. If this option is grayed out, unlocking the bootloader is not possible.
    3. Connect your device to your PC, and open a command window in your Platform Tools folder.
    4. Ensure ADB sees your device:
      Code:
      adb devices
      If you don't see a device, make sure USB Debugging is enabled, reconnect the USB cable, or try a different USB cable.
      If you see "unauthorized", you need to authorize the connection on your device.
      If you see the device without "unauthorized", you're good to go.
    5. Reboot to bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    6. Unlock bootloader: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
      Select Continue on the device screen.

1. Install Magisk on your device.
    2. Download the factory zip for your build.
    3. Inside the factory zip is the update zip: "device-image-buildnumber.zip". Open this, and extract boot.img
    4. Copy boot.img to your device.
    5. Patch boot.img with Magisk: "Install" > "Select and Patch a File"
    6. Copy the patched image back to your PC. It will be named "magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img". Rename this to "master root.img" and retain it for future updates.
    7. Reboot your device to bootloader.
    8. Flash the patched image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
    9. Reboot to Android. Open Magisk to confirm root - under Magisk at the top, you should see "Installed: <Magisk build number>

1. Before you download the OTA, open Magisk, tap Uninstall, then Restore Images. If you have any Magisk modules that modify system, uninstall them now.
    2. Take the OTA update when prompted. To check for updates manually, go to Settings > System > System Update > Check for Update
    3. Allow the update to download and install. DO NOT REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED. Open Magisk, tap Install at the top, then Install to inactive slot. Magisk will then reboot your device.
    4. You should now be updated with root.

1. Download the OTA.
    2. Reboot to recovery and sideload the OTA:
      Code:
      adb reboot sideload
      Once in recovery:
      Code:
      adb sideload ota.zip
    3. When the OTA completes, you will be in recovery mode. Select "Reboot to system now".
    4. Allow system to boot and wait for the update to complete. You must let the system do this before proceeding.
    5. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      fastboot boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.
    Note: You can use Payload Dumper to extract the contents of the OTA if you want to manually patch the new boot image. However, I will not cover that in this guide.

Please note that the factory update process expects an updated bootloader and radio. If these are not up to date, the update will fail.
    1. Download the factory zip and extract the contents.
    2. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Compare bootloader versions between phone screen and bootloader.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash bootloader <drag and drop new bootloader.img here>
      If bootloader is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    4. Compare baseband versions between phone screen and radio.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash radio <drag and drop radio.img here>
      If radio is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    5. Apply update:
      Code:
      fastboot update --skip-reboot image-codename-buildnumber.zip
      When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      Note: If you prefer, you can manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.
    Note: If you prefer, you can update using the flash-all script included in the factory zip. You will have to copy the script, bootloader image, radio image, and update zip into the Platform Tools folder; you will then have to edit the script to remove the -w option so it doesn't wipe your device.
    The scripted commands should look like this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader image name>
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul
    fastboot flash radio <radio image name>
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul
    fastboot update  --skip-reboot <image-device-buildnumber.zip>
    Once this completes, you can reboot to bootloader and either boot your master patched image, or if you patched the new image, flash it at this time.

PixelFlasher by @badabing2003 is an excellent tool that streamlines the update process - it even patches the boot image for you.
    The application essentially automates the ADB interface to make updating and rooting much easier. However, it is STRONGLY recommended that you still learn the "basics" of using ADB.

For instructions, downloads, and support, please refer to the PixelFlasher thread.

1. Follow the instructions on the Android Flash Tool to update your device. Make sure Lock Bootloader and Wipe Device are UNCHECKED.
    2. When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    4. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    5. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

SafetyNet has been deprecated for the new Play Integrity API. More information here.

In a nutshell, Play Integrity uses the same mechanisms as SafetyNet for the BASIC and DEVICE verdicts, but uses the Trusted Execution Environment to validate those verdicts. TEE does not function on an unlocked bootloader, so legacy SafetyNet solutions will fail.

Before asking any questions, please read this post.
    For help passing Play Integrity verdicts, see this thread.

I do not provide support for Magisk or modules. If you need help with Magisk, here is the Magisk General Support thread. For support specifically with Magisk v24+, see this thread.

Points of note:
    • The boot image is NOT the bootloader image. Do not confuse the two - YOU are expected to know the difference. Flashing the wrong image to bootloader could brick your device.
    • While the Magisk app is used for patching the boot image, the app and the patch are separate. This is what you should see in Magisk for functioning root:
      screenshot_20230323-072859-3-png.5870161
    • "Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.
    • "App" simply shows the version of the app itself.
    • If you do not have a patched master boot image, you will need to download the factory zip if you haven't already, extract the system update inside it, then patch boot.img.
    • If you prefer updating with the factory image, you can also extract and manually patch the boot image if desired.
    • Some Magisk modules, especially those that modify read only partitions like /system, may cause a boot loop after updating. As a general rule, disable these modules before updating. You are responsible for knowing what you have installed, and what modules to disable.

Credits:
    Thanks to @badabing2003 , @pndwal , @Displax , @Az Biker , @ipdev , @kdrag0n , @Didgeridoohan , and last but not least, @topjohnwu for all their hard work!
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you do this!

Additionally, for the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, fstab will now load from /system/etc which should fix the root issue many of you were having.

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Magisk 24306 (release notes) is now available on the canary channel, and I can confirm that the installation to the inactive slot OTA method is working for the April update.
    Interesting. How did you command the reboot?

When I tried to update this way on my wife's 5a, it bootlooped back to the original slot.
    I always follow these steps once I know the OTA is available:

1. Open Magisk and select 'Uninstall Magisk -> Restore Images'
    2. Open Settings and Download/Install OTA *DO NOT REBOOT*
    3. Go back to Magisk and select 'Install -> Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)' *DO NOT REBOOT*
    4. Go back to Settings and 'Reboot' to finalize the OTA
    So, if I use this tool after rooting OTA updates will work and I'll still have root?

Edit: And can you explain more clearly the process on how to do this?

No, the tool does nothing to maintain root. It simply allows you to take the OTA. You will still need to reboot into fastboot and flash or boot from a patched boot image.

The steps would be:
    1. Restore boot in the Magisk app
    2. Restore vbmeta in Vbmeta Patcher
    3. Take the OTA in System Updater
    4. Patch vbmeta in Vbmeta Patcher
    5. Patch the new boot image in the Magisk app and copy it to your computer
    6. Reboot into fastboot
    7. Boot from the new patched boot image
    8. Direct Install Magisk in the Magisk App
    As I noted the quote post, this process should be considered experimental until it has been more thoroughly tested. You should consider backing up any critical data before attempting it, in case something goes wrong.

I'm working on another tool to make it a bit easier to acquire the new boot image in step 5, but that will likely be a few days. Hopefully we'll be able to install Magisk to the inactive slot on Pixel devices again in the future, which would consolidate steps 5-8.