How To Guide [GUIDE] Pixel 6 "oriole": Unlock Bootloader, Update, Root, Pass SafetyNet

Search This thread

airtower

Sep 9, 2010
Arlington, TX
Google Pixel 6
Download and sideload it.
Guess I'm still not seeing the immediate benefit. Sideload requires adb, and will boot back into an updated, unrooted OS. Meaning you'd still need to extract, patch, and flash the new boot.img. Or is there something I'm missing here?

Apologies if I'm being ignorant, I recently came to the P6 from a OnePlus 6 and haven't really kept current with new security/update methods over the past 4 years. The process on the OP6 was install OTA, flash Magisk to inactive, reboot and done.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

SMMmmm

Dec 5, 2014
I had the same issue. I side loaded the ota via recovery
Pretty common on rooted devices. Sideload the OTA.

I tried sideloading the OTA (downloaded from: https://developers.google.com/android/ota), and that failed as well!! I got an error like this:

"Error applying update: 7 (ErrorCode::kInstallDeviceOpenError) E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)"

I don't know what's wrong! Please help!

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Guess I'm still not seeing the immediate benefit. Sideload requires adb, and will boot back into an updated, unrooted OS. Meaning you'd still need to extract, patch, and flash the new boot.img. Or is there something I'm missing here?

Apologies if I'm being ignorant, I recently came to the P6 from a OnePlus 6 and haven't really kept current with new security/update methods over the past 4 years. The process on the OP6 was install OTA, flash Magisk to inactive, reboot and done.
That's the point of having a patched boot image that you can use to temp boot so you have root and can directly patch the updated boot image with Magisk.

I tried sideloading the OTA (downloaded from: https://developers.google.com/android/ota), and that failed as well!! I got an error like this:

"Error applying update: 7 (ErrorCode::kInstallDeviceOpenError) E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)"

I don't know what's wrong! Please help!
Might be corrupted, make sure you have the right file and try again

SMMmmm

Dec 5, 2014
Might be corrupted, make sure you have the right file and try again

Redownloaded the OTA and tried it again, but it failed again!

This is the exact error:

Code:
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
Update package verification took 66.3 s (result 0).
Installing update...
Step 1/2
Error applying update: 7 (ErrorCode::kInstallDeviceOpenError)
E: Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

Install from ABD completed with status 1
Installation aborted.

At the top of the screen, it says in red, but I have selected 'Reboot system now' and the phone works fine as before.

Code:
WARNING: Previous installation has failed.
Your device may fail to boot if you reboot or power off now.

How do I get the new OTA? I don't know what to try, please help!

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Redownloaded the OTA and tried it again, but it failed again!

This is the exact error:

Code:
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
Update package verification took 66.3 s (result 0).
Installing update...
Step 1/2
Error applying update: 7 (ErrorCode::kInstallDeviceOpenError)
E: Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

Install from ABD completed with status 1
Installation aborted.

At the top of the screen, it says in red, but I have selected 'Reboot system now' and the phone works fine as before.

Code:
WARNING: Previous installation has failed.
Your device may fail to boot if you reboot or power off now.

How do I get the new OTA? I don't know what to try, please help!
I'm not sure why the OTA isn't working. Follow the instructions in the OP for the factory image.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Why do people keep asking if the factory update will wipe their device? Where did this idea come from? It needs to be squashed.

If you're reading this, and you have questions on whether something could be an issue...if it was, I would mention it in the OP instructions. Put your presumptions aside and simply follow the instructions. That's all you have to do.

biglo

Jul 18, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 6
When I try to sideload the OTA from recovery when I try the adb devices command I keep getting unauthorized but when the phone is on its shows the device and I'm able to use adb to reboot the phone to recovery. I unauthorized it from developer options and deleted the key from my folder in windows and re-authorized and ran the reboot to recovery command again and its still unauthorized.

Not sure what I'm going wrong here.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Why do people keep asking if the factory update will wipe their device? Where did this idea come from? It needs to be squashed.

If you're reading this, and you have questions on whether something could be an issue...if it was, I would mention it in the OP instructions. Put your presumptions aside and simply follow the instructions. That's all you have to do.
It's because they don't read and just post their questions in threads that have nothing to do with root. I can be reading a thread about fixes and features and then all of a sudden the whole thing is about Magisk, OTA with root, bricked when I unrooted etc. If their questions were put into your thread they'd have an answer almost immediately.
edit: for instance here: https://xdaforums.com/t/january-full-ota-image-available.4388437/page-3 It starts on post 41 and continues on at post 61 and now the thread about OTA available has become a root doesn't work thread.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
It's because they don't read and just post their questions in threads that have nothing to do with root. I can be reading a thread about fixes and features and then all of a sudden the whole thing is about Magisk, OTA with root, bricked when I unrooted etc. If their questions were put into your thread they'd have an answer almost immediately.
These are fairly basic questions, though, and as I pointed out, I wouldn't write instructions that would wipe the device without explicitly pointing that out. If someone wants to use the batch file or the shell script, that's up to them. If they can't figure out what commands they need by reading my instructions, they shouldn't be doing this anyway.

I made it clear on the OP that this is NOT a basic, dummy proof guide.

airtower

Sep 9, 2010
Arlington, TX
Google Pixel 6
When I try to sideload the OTA from recovery when I try the adb devices command I keep getting unauthorized but when the phone is on its shows the device and I'm able to use adb to reboot the phone to recovery. I unauthorized it from developer options and deleted the key from my folder in windows and re-authorized and ran the reboot to recovery command again and its still unauthorized.

Not sure what I'm going wrong here.
If it says no command, press vol+down and it will bring up the normal recovery options including ADB sideload

kornball

Oct 6, 2009

I appreciate you clarifying. Before Magisk 23016 came out, I thought there was an issue with possible data corruption if verity and verification weren't disabled. This would then require a data factory reset.

Dating back to my Pixel 3, I would update using monthly factory images. Get to fastboot, flash bootloader, flash radio, flash update with --skip-reboot flag, and then flash Magisk patched boot.img before booting back into Android. You have this exact procedure outlined in your OP, so that's what I will follow. Thank you!

kemikalman

Dec 15, 2021
Hello, I don't know if this is normal but, yesterday I sideloaded the january ota via adb, after that install the given magisk on the first page, get the boot.img from the zip file in the latest update, patched it through magisk and flashed it, I have root on the first boot after flashing but everytime I reboot my device the root is gone.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member

The only version of Magisk that supports flashing to inactive slots on Pixels is the alpha. Canary does not yet support it.

Please read the OP. There are several methods by which you can update your Pixel and reroot. That's the whole point of this guide; all you have to do is read and follow the instructions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ⚠️⚠️⚠️WARNING! IF YOU ARE UPDATING TO ANDROID 13 FOR THE FIRST TIME, READ THIS FIRST! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Official updates for this device will end October 2024.

If you are looking for my guide on a different Pixel, find it here:
    For best results, use the latest stable Magisk release.
    Discussion thread for migration to 24.0+.
    Note: Magisk prior to Canary 23016 does not incorporate the necessary fixes for Android 12+.

WARNING: YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR DEVICE. THIS GUIDE IS WRITTEN WITH THE EXPRESS ASSUMPTION THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ADB, MAGISK, ANDROID, AND ROOT. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Prerequisites:

Android Source - Setting up a device for development

1. Follow these instructions to enable Developer Options and USB Debugging.
    2. Enable OEM Unlocking. If this option is grayed out, unlocking the bootloader is not possible.
    3. Connect your device to your PC, and open a command window in your Platform Tools folder.
    4. Ensure ADB sees your device:
      Code:
      adb devices
      If you don't see a device, make sure USB Debugging is enabled, reconnect the USB cable, or try a different USB cable.
      If you see "unauthorized", you need to authorize the connection on your device.
      If you see the device without "unauthorized", you're good to go.
    5. Reboot to bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    6. Unlock bootloader: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
      Select Continue on the device screen.

1. Install Magisk on your device.
    2. Download the factory zip for your build.
    3. Inside the factory zip is the update zip: "device-image-buildnumber.zip". Open this, and extract boot.img
    4. Copy boot.img to your device.
    5. Patch boot.img with Magisk: "Install" > "Select and Patch a File"
    6. Copy the patched image back to your PC. It will be named "magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img". Rename this to "master root.img" and retain it for future updates.
    7. Reboot your device to bootloader.
    8. Flash the patched image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
    9. Reboot to Android. Open Magisk to confirm root - under Magisk at the top, you should see "Installed: <Magisk build number>

1. Before you download the OTA, open Magisk, tap Uninstall, then Restore Images. If you have any Magisk modules that modify system, uninstall them now.
    2. Take the OTA update when prompted. To check for updates manually, go to Settings > System > System Update > Check for Update
    3. Allow the update to download and install. DO NOT REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED. Open Magisk, tap Install at the top, then Install to inactive slot. Magisk will then reboot your device.
    4. You should now be updated with root.

1. Download the OTA.
    2. Reboot to recovery and sideload the OTA:
      Code:
      adb reboot sideload
      Once in recovery:
      Code:
      adb sideload ota.zip
    3. When the OTA completes, you will be in recovery mode. Select "Reboot to system now".
    4. Allow system to boot and wait for the update to complete. You must let the system do this before proceeding.
    5. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      fastboot boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.
    Note: You can use Payload Dumper to extract the contents of the OTA if you want to manually patch the new boot image. However, I will not cover that in this guide.

Please note that the factory update process expects an updated bootloader and radio. If these are not up to date, the update will fail.
    1. Download the factory zip and extract the contents.
    2. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Compare bootloader versions between phone screen and bootloader.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash bootloader <drag and drop new bootloader.img here>
      If bootloader is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    4. Compare baseband versions between phone screen and radio.img build number
      Code:
      fastboot flash radio <drag and drop radio.img here>
      If radio is updated, reboot to bootloader.
    5. Apply update:
      Code:
      fastboot update --skip-reboot image-codename-buildnumber.zip
      When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    6. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      Note: If you prefer, you can manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    7. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    8. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.
    Note: If you prefer, you can update using the flash-all script included in the factory zip. You will have to copy the script, bootloader image, radio image, and update zip into the Platform Tools folder; you will then have to edit the script to remove the -w option so it doesn't wipe your device.
    The scripted commands should look like this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader image name>
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul
    fastboot flash radio <radio image name>
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul
    fastboot update  --skip-reboot <image-device-buildnumber.zip>
    Once this completes, you can reboot to bootloader and either boot your master patched image, or if you patched the new image, flash it at this time.

PixelFlasher by @badabing2003 is an excellent tool that streamlines the update process - it even patches the boot image for you.
    The application essentially automates the ADB interface to make updating and rooting much easier. However, it is STRONGLY recommended that you still learn the "basics" of using ADB.

For instructions, downloads, and support, please refer to the PixelFlasher thread.

1. Follow the instructions on the Android Flash Tool to update your device. Make sure Lock Bootloader and Wipe Device are UNCHECKED.
    2. When the update completes, the device will be in fastbootd. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Boot the master root image (See note 1):
      Code:
      Note: If you prefer, you can download the factory zip and manually patch the new boot image, then flash it after the update. Do not flash an older boot image after updating.
    4. Your device should boot with root. Open Magisk, tap Install, and select Direct Install.
    5. Reboot your device. You should now be updated with root.

SafetyNet has been deprecated for the new Play Integrity API. More information here.

In a nutshell, Play Integrity uses the same mechanisms as SafetyNet for the BASIC and DEVICE verdicts, but uses the Trusted Execution Environment to validate those verdicts. TEE does not function on an unlocked bootloader, so legacy SafetyNet solutions will fail.

Before asking any questions, please read this post.
    For help passing Play Integrity verdicts, see this thread.

I do not provide support for Magisk or modules. If you need help with Magisk, here is the Magisk General Support thread. For support specifically with Magisk v24+, see this thread.

Points of note:
    • The boot image is NOT the bootloader image. Do not confuse the two - YOU are expected to know the difference. Flashing the wrong image to bootloader could brick your device.
    • While the Magisk app is used for patching the boot image, the app and the patch are separate. This is what you should see in Magisk for functioning root:
      screenshot_20230323-072859-3-png.5870161
    • "Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.
    • "App" simply shows the version of the app itself.
    • If you do not have a patched master boot image, you will need to download the factory zip if you haven't already, extract the system update inside it, then patch boot.img.
    • If you prefer updating with the factory image, you can also extract and manually patch the boot image if desired.
    • Some Magisk modules, especially those that modify read only partitions like /system, may cause a boot loop after updating. As a general rule, disable these modules before updating. You are responsible for knowing what you have installed, and what modules to disable.

Credits:
    Thanks to @badabing2003 , @pndwal , @Displax , @Az Biker , @ipdev , @kdrag0n , @Didgeridoohan , and last but not least, @topjohnwu for all their hard work!
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you do this!

Additionally, for the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, fstab will now load from /system/etc which should fix the root issue many of you were having.

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Magisk 24306 (release notes) is now available on the canary channel, and I can confirm that the installation to the inactive slot OTA method is working for the April update.
    Interesting. How did you command the reboot?

When I tried to update this way on my wife's 5a, it bootlooped back to the original slot.
    I always follow these steps once I know the OTA is available:

1. Open Magisk and select 'Uninstall Magisk -> Restore Images'
    2. Open Settings and Download/Install OTA *DO NOT REBOOT*
    3. Go back to Magisk and select 'Install -> Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)' *DO NOT REBOOT*
    4. Go back to Settings and 'Reboot' to finalize the OTA
    So, if I use this tool after rooting OTA updates will work and I'll still have root?

Edit: And can you explain more clearly the process on how to do this?

No, the tool does nothing to maintain root. It simply allows you to take the OTA. You will still need to reboot into fastboot and flash or boot from a patched boot image.

The steps would be:
    1. Restore boot in the Magisk app
    2. Restore vbmeta in Vbmeta Patcher
    3. Take the OTA in System Updater
    4. Patch vbmeta in Vbmeta Patcher
    5. Patch the new boot image in the Magisk app and copy it to your computer
    6. Reboot into fastboot
    7. Boot from the new patched boot image
    8. Direct Install Magisk in the Magisk App
    As I noted the quote post, this process should be considered experimental until it has been more thoroughly tested. You should consider backing up any critical data before attempting it, in case something goes wrong.

I'm working on another tool to make it a bit easier to acquire the new boot image in step 5, but that will likely be a few days. Hopefully we'll be able to install Magisk to the inactive slot on Pixel devices again in the future, which would consolidate steps 5-8.